Boo fucking Hoo Brittney Griner

Gil Bang

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fair enough.  But you know god damned well the sentiments many posters are posting here would be on a merry go round that stopped at 180 degrees. 

If this was some MAGA hat wearing idiot nobody on this sub would give a shit. 

Nice back-pedal.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don’t have much of an opinion on the whole situation.  The self destruction of our own nation just a tad bit more compelling to me.

However, I don’t think setting up a MAGA hat for detention in a bid to free up an arms dealer would be thinking things through very much.  For one, most MAGA wouldn’t need to be held against their will I wouldn’t think.  Probably would just want selfies with Putin.  

It also seems that the GQP thinks devil weed is the cause of all the mass shootings in this country. So maybe they aren’t carrying vape pens overseas. 

But you are correct I think in that it is difficult to have empathy for those who seemingly have none themselves.  In fact for those who are going out of their way to openly spread hate and pain as their only ideology.  Who are taking away our freedoms to just exist.  Yeah we probably wouldn’t be all that wound up about the unlikely event of an American Taliban being held by someone they actually worship. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

You break the law in another country and receive due process and a fair trial with reasonable punishment? Good luck see ya when you get out. That’s not even remotely close to this situation. The State Department should aggressively negotiate within the constraints I explained. It’s pretty crystal clear AND other political prisoners need to be included. We shouldn’t trade one bad due for her we should trade one bad dude for all our people in Russian prisons who did not receive due process and a fair trial or who are being held in inhumane conditions. Again consistent with our values (if we still have them).

The state department should negotiate.   1 HIMAR and one harpoon missile for every year sentenced.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

Who do we give, absent strategic national security concerns I don’t care.  And get more in return than you give because chances are we imprisoned a bad guy they just took a dumbnut carrying weed in her bag.

Fair point. So what do we have? What would Putin trade for? 

5 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don’t have much of an opinion on the whole situation.  The self destruction of our own nation just a tad bit more compelling to me.

However, I don’t think setting up a MAGA hat for detention in a bid to free up an arms dealer would be thinking things through very much.  For one, most MAGA wouldn’t need to be held against their will I wouldn’t think.  Probably would just want selfies with Putin.  

It also seems that the GQP thinks devil weed is the cause of all the mass shootings in this country. So maybe they aren’t carrying vape pens overseas. 

But you are correct I think in that it is difficult to have empathy for those who seemingly have none themselves.  In fact for those who are going out of their way to openly spread hate and pain as their only ideology.  Who are taking away our freedoms to just exist.  Yeah we probably wouldn’t be all that wound up about the unlikely event of an American Taliban being held by someone they actually worship. 

I appreciate the honesty in this post. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Name names if you're so confident.

This sub has a thread where people relish in COVID FAFO.

MAGA hat dipshit getting popped in Russia for some vapes would have some posters here setting off fireworks in their back yards. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I double dog dare you to fly over there and prove your statement.

Cool. I double dog dare you to fuck your own face. I am not stupid enough to 1) travel to russia right now and 2) travel anywhere internationally holding concentrate without understanding the risks involved. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

This sub has a thread where people relish in COVID FAFO.

What, another completely false equivalence between two very different political situations from Anastasis?

Letterkenny GIF by Crave

Edited by trauma babe
wording
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 12:16 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Pretty much sums up how most of us feel about you, Sack, slorch, fatty, etc….🤣🤣

welcome to the party, pal

I wear that like a badge of honor.

The same people who were all in on Hugo and Russian conspiracies for 4 years.  Just a different brand of Q type politics. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, Anastasis said:

I'd be happy for them that they finally realized their lifelong dream, fucktards or not.

Trump Ohio rally: telling “I'd rather be a Russian than Democrat” photo -  Vox

• Hook 'Em 1

Is the American way not an option?  Could they not simply “pay a fine/bribe” to bring her home with the promise she never goes back?  It would suck for other Americans stuck there for BS reasons, but the NBA could surely raise some Tom Brady like funds to secure her release….. say $5million to Putin’s Urban Achievers?  

* As to guilt for the alleged offense?  Only she and the Russian TSA know for sure.

I 100% believe the Russians are capable of fabricating the whole scene. Full innocence.
I can also be easily convinced this wasn’t the first time she flew with a canister. I’m sure pre-war build up she was treated like a wealthy celebrity and did as she pleased. 

She doesn’t deserve to be stuck there. Same goes for the other Americans in the same situation, but you don’t trade any of them for a terrorist/arms dealer/ murderer. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

I should stop being so, but I am completely astonished at how the WNBA/Sports world and their expectations and outlook are colliding with the reality of one V.V. Putin. 

https://thehill.com/policy/international/3547750-phoenix-mercury-coach-on-brittney-griners-detainment-if-it-was-lebron-hed-be-home/

“If it was LeBron, he’d be home, right?” Nygaard asked the media. “It’s a statement about the value of women. It’s a statement about the value of a Black person. It’s a statement about the value of a gay person. All of those things. We know it, and so that’s what hurts a little more.”

Nygaard, who’s in her first season as the Mercury’s head coach, has been vocal about Griner’s case, comparing it to the case of Gabby Petito, whose disappearance and death last year gained national media attention. 

“That white woman that was hiking, and we did everything to find her,” Nygaard said earlier this year, according to Arizona’s Cronkite News. “She was from Florida, and she went on a hike and her boyfriend killed her. How much attention went to that? BG hasn’t got half that attention. And that’s a crime. And that’s a statement about our society and who we value and we need to change that.”

Gabby Petino and a missing person case inside the US? The value of a black and gay person?  She does realize we know exactly where Britney Griner is, which in a prison inside a frozen penal colony bristling with ICBMs run by a warden with a nasty attitude. 

Does this coach think that Vladimir Putin can be canceled into letting Britney free? Has she paused to consider that if Joe Biden and all of America could make Putin do something, we might start with “stop blowing up maternity hospitals with cruise missiles and burning up your cannon barrels by shelling cities in Ukraine.”  I mean, if we had the power to shame him into doing something we could start with that and then talk Griner. 

Just gotdamn naive navel-gazing and a complete lack of any sort of awareness of what the actual fuck is going on. 

• Hook 'Em 9

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I should stop being so, but I am completely astonished at how the WNBA/Sports world and their expectations and outlook are colliding with the reality of one V.V. Putin. 

https://thehill.com/policy/international/3547750-phoenix-mercury-coach-on-brittney-griners-detainment-if-it-was-lebron-hed-be-home/

Gabby Petino and a missing person case inside the US? The value of a black and gay person?  She does realize we know exactly where Britney Griner is, which in a prison inside a frozen penal colony bristling with ICBMs run by a warden with a nasty attitude. 

Does this coach think that Vladimir Putin can be canceled into letting Britney free? Has she paused to consider that if Joe Biden and all of America could make Putin do something, we might start with “stop blowing up maternity hospitals with cruise missiles and burning up your cannon barrels by shelling cities in Ukraine.”  I mean, if we had the power to shame him into doing something we could start with that and then talk Griner. 

Just gotdamn naive navel-gazing and a complete lack of any sort of awareness of what the actual fuck is going on. 

Yea, that is a horrible take and she should be embarrassed about her lack of knowledge and awareness. But, as usual, I assume it will play well with her target audience.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/politics/griner-whelan-biden-offer-viktor-bout-exchange-russia-arms-dealer/index.html

After months of internal debate, the Biden administration has offered to exchange Viktor Bout, a convicted Russian arms trafficker serving a 25-year US prison sentence, as part of a potential deal to secure the release of two Americans held by Russia, Brittney Griner and Paul Whelan, according to people briefed on the matter.

These sources told CNN that the plan to trade Bout for Whelan and Griner received the backing of President Joe Biden after being under discussion since earlier this year. Biden's support for the swap overrides opposition from the Department of Justice, which is generally against prisoner trades.

"We communicated a substantial offer that we believe could be successful based on a history of conversations with the Russians," a senior administration official told CNN Wednesday. "We communicated that a number of weeks ago, in June."

The official declined to comment on the specifics of the "substantial offer." They said it was in Russia's "court to be responsive to it, yet at the same time that does not leave us passive, as we continue to communicate the offer at very senior levels."

"It takes two to tango. We start all negotiations to bring home Americans held hostage or wrongfully detained with a bad actor on the other side. We start all of these with somebody who has taken a human being American and treated them as a bargaining chip," the official said. "So in some ways, it's not surprising, even if it's disheartening, when those same actors don't necessarily respond directly to our offers, don't engage constructively in negotiations."
Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced Wednesday that the US presented a "substantial proposal" to Moscow "weeks ago" for Whelan and Griner, who are classified as wrongfully detained. The top US diplomat said he intended to discuss the matter on an expected call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov this week.

While this was always the likely course to resolution as public pressure builds on the WH to "do something", I have to question why Fogel wouldnt also be on this list. For all of the WNBA fans screeching it would be different if Brittney was Lebron, the same principle applies here imo. Kind of a shitty deal for Fogel if he gets left out of this offer. As far as i know, they are both guilty of bringing in amounts of weed typical of personal consumption. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Good post, Blotto.

I haven't followed this closely. I object strongly to what the Russians did and the timing of them doing it. I hate seeing Americans in Russian prison for trivial offenses.

On the other hand, is it not like negotiating with terrorists similar to Reagan and Iran back in the day? Iran through Hezbollah stepped up kidnappings after the Iran deal.

Russia snatching ordinary Americans and trading them for convicted Russian malefactors doesn't seem like a good precedent. Blotto writes:

For all of the WNBA fans screeching it would be different if Brittney was Lebron, the same principle applies here imo. Kind of a shitty deal for Fogel if he gets left out of this offer. As far as i know, they are both guilty of bringing in amounts of weed typical of personal consumption. 

He's right. Griner isn't being ignored because she's black and gay (although some, including the op, seem happy for her misfortune). She's getting a deal because she has enough celebrity to attract the American public's attention. If she committed the same crime as a non-celebrity, should we act in any different way? 

But the American public runs on flashes of emotion that must be addressed by elected officials who don't want to lose votes. This reality is probably what dampens my interest in this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Good post, Blotto.

I haven't followed this closely. I object strongly to what the Russians did and the timing of them doing it. I hate seeing Americans in Russian prison for trivial offenses.

On the other hand, is it not like negotiating with terrorists similar to Reagan and Iran back in the day? Iran through Hezbollah stepped up kidnappings after the Iran deal.

Russia snatching ordinary Americans and trading them for convicted Russian malefactors doesn't seem like a good precedent. Blotto writes:

He's right. Griner isn't being ignored because she's black and gay (although some, including the op, seem happy for her misfortune). She's getting a deal because she has enough celebrity to attract the American public's attention. If she committed the same crime as a non-celebrity, should we act in any different way? 

But the American public runs on flashes of emotion that must be addressed by elected officials who don't want to lose votes. This reality is probably what dampens my interest in this. 

I remember when I was young the news all over some rando who was going to be caned in Singapore for petty vandalism. It was everywhere. So it's not just celebrities, there are circumstances where randos get caught up and manage to make waves with the public. I think the timing was the biggest issue here for Griner, just exceptionally poor timing to make a relatively small mistake.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, Poe It Up said:

Those have to be some awkward conversations. “Hi guys, it’s me Britney. Yeah, the one that wants to ban the national anthem and kneels at games. Anyway…. can you guys help me out here?” 

Compare with the cognitive dissonance from the right. You’d better stand for the nationsl anthem while we burn everything to the ground and try to overturn an election.

Give me peaceful protestors and ship the bootlicker to Putin, since they crave the heel. Win-win.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, Johnny Sack said:

I wear that like a badge of honor.

The same people who were all in on Hugo and Russian conspiracies for 4 years.  Just a different brand of Q type politics. 

You should wear this on a badge, too, if you are celebrating your lack of awareness.

image.jpeg

I remember when I was young the news all over some rando who was going to be caned in Singapore for petty vandalism. It was everywhere. So it's not just celebrities, there are circumstances where randos get caught up and manage to make waves with the public. I think the timing was the biggest issue here for Griner, just exceptionally poor timing to make a relatively small mistake.

It was in the news, he was caned, and then he went home. I don’t remember if there was any attempted intervention by the US on his behalf or if we were just like don’t do the crime if you can’t taking a caning.

19 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Compare with the cognitive dissonance from the right. You’d better stand for the nationsl anthem while we burn everything to the ground and try to overturn an election.

Give me peaceful protestors and ship the bootlicker to Putin, since they crave the heel. Win-win.

Yeah, I think those protests only killed around 30 people. I’d hate to see them when they’re not peaceful. 

• Fuck You 3

23 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It was in the news, he was caned, and then he went home. I don’t remember if there was any attempted intervention by the US on his behalf or if we were just like don’t do the crime if you can’t taking a caning.

I think the US made an official request for leniency and the number of lashes was reduced, but the kid still caught a few. 

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

Yeah, I think those protests only killed around 30 people. I’d hate to see them when they’re not peaceful. 

Thirty dead from kneeling athletes? Or, thirty dead frim proud bou imposters? Or what, Poi-boi? Learn me about the kneeling scourges of death.

Best hurry, OAN is on the clock.

Edited by Willfully Horn

Yea, that is a horrible take and she should be embarrassed about her lack of knowledge and awareness. But, as usual, I assume it will play well with her target audience.

She is likely emotional about her friend. That isn’t unexpected.

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/politics/griner-whelan-biden-offer-viktor-bout-exchange-russia-arms-dealer/index.html

While this was always the likely course to resolution as public pressure builds on the WH to "do something", I have to question why Fogel wouldnt also be on this list. For all of the WNBA fans screeching it would be different if Brittney was Lebron, the same principle applies here imo. Kind of a shitty deal for Fogel if he gets left out of this offer. As far as i know, they are both guilty of bringing in amounts of weed typical of personal consumption. 

This pisses me off.  So in part because Griner was a dumbass and contributed to her own incarceration, that motherfucker Bout will likely get to skate out of prison.  

Someone else said it -- this is the functional equivalent to negotiating with terrorists.  Fuck Russia.

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

This pisses me off.  So in part because Griner was a dumbass and contributed to her own incarceration, that motherfucker Bout will likely get to skate out of prison.  

Someone else said it -- this is the functional equivalent to negotiating with terrorists.  Fuck Russia.

But why? It's not like Bout will be committing crimes in the US if we ship him back to Russia. Why shouldn't we get our people back on our soil? I think it sucks if we aren't also asking for Fogel. We should get all of our people out of their corrupt criminal justice system. 

54 minutes ago, royiv said:

But why? It's not like Bout will be committing crimes in the US if we ship him back to Russia. Why shouldn't we get our people back on our soil? I think it sucks if we aren't also asking for Fogel. We should get all of our people out of their corrupt criminal justice system. 

Yeah, it's an interesting mental exercise.  I often wonder why we criminally try, imprison, and then deport illegal aliens for relatively minor crimes.  Isn't deportation enough?  

Bout actually didn't commit any crimes IN the US.  As an arms dealer, he was convicted of "material support" of terrorists, namely selling arms to FARC rebels in Colombia, who in turn planned to use them on Americans in Colombia, presumably mostly DEA and diplomatic types.  There's a definite "international" aspect to Bout's crimes.  He can commit them with effect almost anywhere without ever being physically present there.

Edited by TwiceHorn