Boo fucking Hoo Brittney Griner

Gil Bang

Weird. I get that Russia is bad but why are we mad at her? For making a living doing the thing where she’s an elite talent? Is this comparable the golfers and Saudi Arabia?

Oh is it because she probably had some form of thc? I assumed that was likely but also a confession in Russian court is… not compelling.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe a few GQPs will change their allegiance back to the United States.

So you think they care about a 6' 9" black lesbian with a history of domestic violence who smuggled cannabis oil into Russia?  Yeah, no.

• Drool 1

She probably didn't do anything because remember, the charges are coming from a bunch of lying-ass greasy-sideburn pockmarked orky Russian slime vessels.

They wanted a hostage so they could get one of their own sticky bastards out of US prison.

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You go to a shithole country to line your pockets, you better obey their laws.  The fact that Joe Biden is thinking about her situation for two seconds chaps my ass. 

Why are you so quick to accept that the arrest, prosecution, conviction and sentencing is on the level? I'm not necessarily speaking to whether she actually committed a crime, but whether she was afforded Due Process.

She is a high profile American being prosecuted by a country with a dubious record of using its criminal justice system for political gain.  It's perfectly reasonable for our State Department to look into whether due process was followed in accordance with Russian law.  If it's determined that it was, so be it.  If, as I suspect, Russia is manipulating it's CJ system to  leverage this situation politically, we should respond politically.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but see, i kind of also agree with this.

go to russia and some russian gangster shit happens to you?

well...

There's one side effect of Russia's bullshit that will almost certainly come to pass: a lot of pretty good athletes went to Russia to play (and make good money) in Russian athletic leagues over the last decade or so.  Soccer, basketball, even hockey.  That shit is OVER.

"Hey Brisket....I can get you a contract for $800k a year to play soccer for St. Petersburg."  "Cool, cool.  Am I still an American, and is St. Petersburg still in Russia?  If so, then fuck that shit. Not gonna happen."

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

You go to a shithole country to line your pockets, you better obey their laws.  The fact that Joe Biden is thinking about her situation for two seconds chaps my ass. 

What an odd take that you felt compelled to share. She’s an American working legally overseas. I don’t think much more about it than hoping she gets out ok, but obviously I don’t harbor your convictions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There's one side effect of Russia's bullshit that will almost certainly come to pass: a lot of pretty good athletes went to Russia to play (and make good money) in Russian athletic leagues over the last decade or so.  Soccer, basketball, even hockey.  That shit is OVER.

"Hey Brisket....I can get you a contract for $800k a year to play soccer for St. Petersburg."  "Cool, cool.  Am I still an American, and is St. Petersburg still in Russia?  If so, then fuck that shit. Not gonna happen."

Hell, It's not even just about western athletes playing in Russia. How about Russia's treatment of its own athletes playing abroad?  The fix is in for them as well. I

7 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Hell, It's not even just about western athletes playing in Russia. How about Russia's treatment of its own athletes playing abroad?  The fix is in for them as well. I

The stupidity of the Russian NHL players to return to Russia during the offseason is astounding. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If her situation is standard for anyone found with what she was found with, then it is what it is. If it has gone past what is “normal” (which I realize is a moving target) then the US should be involved.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Counter to OP, no one should be locked up or tortured for weed. I don’t care what country it is. 

This is an aside, but this post jolted my memory.  Anyone remember the kid who was caned in Singapore years ago for stealing traffic signs?  I feel like there was a much bigger outcry about that than the Griner arrest.

Edited by TexasHooch
Michael Fay- back in 1994
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fuck Russia for sure. But she went there as they were starting to conduct genocide. 

Well, no--she was leaving just before they began their genocidal war of aggression.

That's not to say that Russia was good up until February 24.  But it is to say that they considerably dialed up the badness at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, no--she was leaving just before they began their genocidal war of aggression.

That's not to say that Russia was good up until February 24.  But it is to say that they considerably dialed up the badness at that point.

Russia invaded on Feb 24. She was detained in March.

if she broke their laws, well shits on her. Americans abroad fuck up all the time. Mom was a Consular officer. The amount of dumbassery she had to deal with was tremendous. 

And most knew this war was going to happen. She still made plans to go in knowing the war was going on.  

March 5 — The New York Times and Russian News agency TASS first reported that Griner was detained after customs service officials said they found vape cartridges containing hashish oil in her luggage at the Sheremetyevo airport. The customs service also released a video of an individual at the airport who appears to be Griner going through security.

Russian state TV showed a photo of Griner as part of a segment that aired on March 5. The photo was reportedly taken at a Russian police station.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/brittney-griner-russia-timeline-detainment-wnba-season-2022/yden2dfccvadttwcd14algxq

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Russia invaded on Feb 24. She was detained in March.

if she broke their laws, well shits on her. Americans abroad fuck up all the time. Mom was a Consular officer. The amount of dumbassery she had to deal with was tremendous. 

And most knew this war was going to happen. She still made plans to go in knowing the war was going on.  

March 5 — The New York Times and Russian News agency TASS first reported that Griner was detained after customs service officials said they found vape cartridges containing hashish oil in her luggage at the Sheremetyevo airport. The customs service also released a video of an individual at the airport who appears to be Griner going through security.

Russian state TV showed a photo of Griner as part of a segment that aired on March 5. The photo was reportedly taken at a Russian police station.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/brittney-griner-russia-timeline-detainment-wnba-season-2022/yden2dfccvadttwcd14algxq

According to NPR, she was arrested at SVO on February 17.  I think the arrest maybe wasn't publicized by the Russians until March 5 (which is kind of its own deal--holding an American incommunicado for more than two weeks).

I agree that one shouldn't break the laws of other countries.  But I'm sure as shit not going to give the Russians the benefit of the doubt on this and believe that she did break their laws based only on their good word.  It's entirely possible she did break the law; it's also very possible the Russians trumped up the charges to get a high-profile hostage.

But regardless, I don't agree that "most knew this war was going to happen."  You can go back on the DT thread and see what the mindset was on February 17.  I thought Russia was going to invade.  But I think I was in the distinct minority.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Sorry did not see that earlier date. Thanks for clarifying. She should have gotten out if that is the case. 

And in the DT thread, most who are really tracking felt it was going to happen. Feel free the check my postings on it. My client placed his medical team there in January. Yeah, most did know. Knowing and accepting are two different things. 

I'm with Hayden on this one. On one hand, you feel for her because she's being used and there isn't much that can be done but be a political diplomatic pawn. And on the other hand, you are an adult making adult decisions and clearly didn't do a good job with the risk and reward analysis of going to Russia on the brink of war with pot.

• Hook 'Em 3

On the one hand the US has an obligation to protect US citizens abroad. On the other hand its hard to drum up too much sympathy when theres so many other people suffering thru no fault of their own. Its like feeling sorry for dudes that get stuck hiking up a mountain, what did you think could happen?

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't know if the arrest was politically motivated or not.  Was she targeted for extra security because she's a black woman?  Probably.  But I don't think the drugs were planted.

However, I have a hard time believing the the sentencing won't be politically motivated.

So assuming she gets a long sentence, what should the US be willing to trade to get her home? 

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I don't know if the arrest was politically motivated or not.  Was she targeted for extra security because she's a black woman?  Probably.  But I don't think the drugs were planted.

However, I have a hard time believing the the sentencing won't be politically motivated.

So assuming she gets a long sentence, what should the US be willing to trade to get her home? 

Peanut butter.   Lots and lots of peanut butter.

2 hours ago, Brew said:

If her situation is standard for anyone found with what she was found with, then it is what it is. If it has gone past what is “normal” (which I realize is a moving target) then the US should be involved.

Another American caught 14 years in a Russian prison for weed about a month ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

drugs weren't planted, but they were clearly "found." 

i'm willing to bet residue on a vape pen, not even the oil itself. she was purposefully targeted, imo. russians apparently don't take a dump without a plan, but they completely submarine their international athlete market for...some kind of political endgame? 

i don't get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

….And on the other hand, you are an adult making adult decisions and clearly didn't do a good job with the risk and reward analysis of going to Russia on the brink of war with pot.

So you’re saying Britany was on the brink of war with pot? I thought she liked pot. 

On the idea that Griner had drugs planted on her, I think she's openly admitting to accidentally bringing it into Russia. Something about packing too quickly and unintentionally bringing it into the country. I suppose it's possible that she's lying that in the hopes of leniency but that starts to get into the realm of more and more disbelief on my part.

The actual story is that either she 1) thought no one would care if she brought it into the country or, 2) she truly just made a mistake.

Regardless she's in a bad situation that she created. Any American traveling overseas should watch Midnight Express.

• Hook 'Em 2