Game Day Experience 2022

blacklab

On 8/26/2022 at 2:27 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn't want to start a new thread - so I'll ask in here - how the fuck is everyone else watching LHN games this year?  Looks like Sling dropped LHN and Vidgo isn't offering a free trial (and I'm not paying 60 for the shitty stream I watched last year - or maybe two years ago).

Is hoping for a quality stream on sportsurge.net the best option for home viewing?

That's what I did.

Joining the SEC can't come soon enough for this reason alone.

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

This is the oldest I have ever sounded in my life but…

First game since 2019. Everything about the SEZ from the two bachelor party terraces to the empty seats to the movie theatre seats that are utterly retarded looking is fucking embarrassing. Anyone stupid enough to get those suites deserves to be separated from their money.

the entire game day experience is now just a giant carnival for children.

it’s pathetic but I guess that’s what you have to do when you suck shit at football for twelve years going… 

crowd last night even for a first game and it being dkr was just sad. There was absolutely no noise on any of ulm‘s third downs. As bad as the music between ever play was, it was the only noise generated other than maybe the blocked punt where it almost kind of sounded like a college football game for a couple of seconds. 

Not sure where you sat and what your expectations are but last night was fun pre/during/post game. If you could not have a great time last night, not sure what to tell you. Weather was perfect, kicked ass, plenty of water stations available, staffed well and lines moved efficiently everywhere we went. I expected far less with storms in ATX/around the state but people showed up. Students were engaged and loud.

I'm also old but i'll stick to: no flyover, speaker volume when being yelled at to do more as a fan, parking being $35 and lack of replays on adzillatron. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I was pleased with my seats relocation from where the students now sit.   Now in section 30 about the 17 yardline.   Was in 26 last year about the 9 yard line. 

It's an aisle seat right next to the tunnel, so lots of traffic unfortunately.  

Can't people just eat before the game?  Do we really need 7 hot dogs and 3 popcorns, etc., etc.?

20220903_190007.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

I enjoyed the game.  Got there a couple of hours early to hit Big Beertha and let the boys fart around in the midway.  Caught Charley Crockett and then had a super easy time getting in.  Gameday experience was great, especially for an opponent like ULM.  I may be getting older but I'm going to do my best not to bellyache like the olds.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It was good.

* no flyover due to low cloud cover, I’ll allow it, we will get one this year
* new Derrick Johnson hype video slaps
* fewer ads than years past
* new video boards in sez are an upgrade but agree rushing att/TDs is odd

Improvement needed:
* heat and humidity sucks, install some big ass fans
* under the west side is like a prison, puddles, no TVs or signage. Easy fix, just money.
* stop showing the hellraisers. Those fucks are an embarrassment

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It still baffles me how we have higher ups that can’t figure out how to fill up the most focal point of our stadium. The team fucking runs out of the new section and we make that the area where big money is at to drink and talk and be social. That should be the area where it’s $10 to sit so you get the crazy motherfuckers going nuts for the cameras. It will be full for bama I’m sure but literally every home game it’s patchy and looks like fucking shit on tv. Get that shit fixed before we secsecsec.

We had 90K+ for ULM. I am not sure we can ask for more than that.

We could not hear anything from the adzillatron except extremely annoying drumbeat noise that drowned out everything…..as usual. 
It was especially bad between every play.

Could not hear the band when they were allowed to play something after the adzillatrom blasted us to deafness for 3/4 of each timeout.

Too bad today’s young fans have no idea what a true college football experience feels & sounds like.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Yeah, I'm not quite the traditionalist attendee some of y'all are.  But there has got to be a happy medium what games were like when I went to my first game almost 30 years ago with an average team and average gameday experience.......and this 5-sense overload shitshow they "produce" now.  

Winning will cure a lot of this, but come the fuck on...win or lose...when you can literally not hear the person next to you between plays if you're sitting in the lower bowl...that's pretty fucking annoying.  Wasn't trying to talk shop or pull an uncle Rico and say what'd be different if I was playing/coaching.......just wanna talk to my kids about the game and the team and the traditions...but nope.  DJ Assclown can't shut the fucking iPod off.  

Okay, switching gears from cranky old man to creepy old man:  The talent yesterday before/during game was out-fucking-standing.  My eye-candy strategy paid off.  Parked over by CBA/GSB and just followed the flow of all the scantily dressed co-eds on their march from West Campus to the stadium area.  Just group after group of talent.  Wife and I shared a laugh when the oldest pointed out all the girls wearing cowboy boots with skirts, she pointed to one group and said, "That looks hot." (as in, she knows wearing boots make your feet sweaty).  But of course, my wife knew which way I felt about the phrase.  /csb

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

The students in their relocated sections really brought it last night. They’re right across the isle from my seats on the east side north 20 yard line. Better than a bunch of olds. For a shitty opponent, the stands around me were pretty packed before kickoff for the National Anthem and The Eyes. Haven’t seen that in a while. Hopefully an improved season can help keep that up.

A huge negative was the new Champions Club, for those who’ve had access in the past. It’s now in San Jacinto Hall and the layout and overall vibe is terrible. I guess/hope this is temporary while they’re doing renovations at Bass. My kid and I had a better time at the food truck court.

Couldn’t agree more on the Champions Club.  We waited about 10 mins to get in.  I walked in to the ‘room’ and basically saw one bar with giant ass lines going each way (maybe it was 2 bars each with their own line - couldn’t tell it was so crowded), so used the restroom and headed back out.  Luckily other than being humid, it was really nice outside so just headed up to our seats early and enjoyed a few beers in the breeze.  No way I’m headed back in there this year.  Hopefully it is just a temporary move if the Bass is getting renovated.  And LOL at whoever mentioned Shotgun Texas now being Texas Spellout.  I chuckled when they said it.  I mean, I kind of get it, but that’s really the best they could come up with?  Thought the crowd was pretty good last night and liked the new placement of the band and students.  Since I literally didn’t see one ULM fan, where is the new visitor section?  I assume they’ll still have some in upper northeast deck, but I thought we were moving some back to ground level.  Didn’t even look like they brought cheerleaders.  I’m sure locating visitors won’t be any problem next week 🤘

Our in-game is an embarrassment and no one can argue. Polonsky started the shit way back and it's only escalated into an unbridled shit show befitting three rings and a high wire, and don't be surprised if we see that or a re-emergence of the god awful jet pack at some point. 

We still have a saving grace that's the 2nd Saturday in October. The Cotton Bowl is a dinosaur but the game itself is done and produced so, so well. The stadium experience is the epitome of an outstanding college football environment. Solid and reserved PA work; not a Cole clown show; a few (very few) ads here and there, no nauseating verbal assault on the senses; bands playing. Otherwise, mostly dead air which is fantastic - not assault and battery on your hearing, just soaking in the environment of the stadium, the Fair on the periphery, the hatred within the Bowl and the douchery somewhere around you that is the OU fan. 

It's simply fantastic and the antithesis of the abortion we now have at home games. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

When we renewed our two season tickets in Section 1 (same ones for 30+ years) we ordered & paid the exorbitant price for two seat-backs, I was surprised to discover that only one had been installed.

Informed the head staff guy above our section about the missing seat-back, so he called it in but said he doubted that maintenance would get to it in time for the game.

What is CDC’s contact email so I can get one installed before the Bama game?

Yes, we are old and sit for much of the game except for exciting plays.

I saw people Grabbing the seat backs from a pile under a cover like they had been stashed their at the end of last season. Probably had been. Twitter had me get an immediate response from Fernando Lovo and the facilities unit. But you shouldn’t have to use Twitter either

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

It was good.

* no flyover due to low cloud cover, I’ll allow it, we will get one this year
* new Derrick Johnson hype video slaps
* fewer ads than years past
* new video boards in sez are an upgrade but agree rushing att/TDs is odd

Improvement needed:
* heat and humidity sucks, install some big ass fans
* under the west side is like a prison, puddles, no TVs or signage. Easy fix, just money.
* stop showing the hellraisers. Those fucks are an embarrassment

Yes!   Was sick to death of seeing the same Hellraisers, and at the end I feel like they were sick of it too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

We could not hear anything from the adzillatron except extremely annoying drumbeat noise that drowned out everything…..as usual. 
It was especially bad between every play.

Could not hear the band when they were allowed to play something after the adzillatrom blasted us to deafness for 3/4 of each timeout.

Too bad today’s young fans have no idea what a true college football experience feels & sounds like.

Agreed. The constant need for manufactured noise is killing the authenticity of the stadium experience. 

There’s a saying that being comfortable with silence means you’re secure with your relationship. 

We’re not getting a chance to feel the silence so we can live in the moment, watch the game, and hear the crowd without the PA pumping in all this stupid fake noise to make it seem more exciting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It used to be fun to watch the band march into the stadium. Now it's just weird. They all kind of shuffle to their spots, and then take forever to actually play Texas Fight. 
It got messed up when they added the hall of fame so the band isn't able to go through that tunnel. It got worse when an idiot GA from Penn State thought it was a good idea to rewrite the entire pregame, which was classic, and try and get the band to do the same thing Penn State does, and fucking Hanna went along with it. It's the dumbest shit
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I was highly irritated and mostly embarrassed with the folks around me in 15. Most sat on their asses and didn’t even fucking budge on 3rd downs backed up into the NEZ. It’s fucking embarrassing frankly. 

Same as it ever was. I was shouted at by our own fans for standing during a bowl game as a student 

On 8/31/2022 at 9:59 PM, Vito Andolini said:

Anyone know if there’s a plan to get the shuttles (actually nice travel coaches) back in service from the IM fields to near the stadium? It’s been a convenient option, but I think suspended during COVID. It seems there may be a way to catch a CapMetro bus somewhere and get reasonably close, but I don’t know how to catch a damn city bus… and more importantly, how do you get back to where you need to go AFTER the game at 11pm? 

Thanks for any informed feedback.

I saw some rickshaws... 

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I'm not quite the traditionalist attendee some of y'all are.  But there has got to be a happy medium what games were like when I went to my first game almost 30 years ago with an average team and average gameday experience.......and this 5-sense overload shitshow they "produce" now.  

Winning will cure a lot of this, but come the fuck on...win or lose...when you can literally not hear the person next to you between plays if you're sitting in the lower bowl...that's pretty fucking annoying.  Wasn't trying to talk shop or pull an uncle Rico and say what'd be different if I was playing/coaching.......just wanna talk to my kids about the game and the team and the traditions...but nope.  DJ Assclown can't shut the fucking iPod off.  

Okay, switching gears from cranky old man to creepy old man:  The talent yesterday before/during game was out-fucking-standing.  My eye-candy strategy paid off.  Parked over by CBA/GSB and just followed the flow of all the scantily dressed co-eds on their march from West Campus to the stadium area.  Just group after group of talent.  Wife and I shared a laugh when the oldest pointed out all the girls wearing cowboy boots with skirts, she pointed to one group and said, "That looks hot." (as in, she knows wearing boots make your feet sweaty).  But of course, my wife knew which way I felt about the phrase.  /csb

Yet, not one fucking pic. You definitely old af.

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Man, this thread needs to be renamed to "men yelling at clouds" thread. 

I heard there was no flyover because of those got damn, motherfucking, bitch ass clouds!  Fuck those clouds!

Edited by Lhorn

One other very noticeable change was the added security and their constant focus on the stands.  Hard to miss them in those neon yellow shirts, but there was at least one security person standing at the bottom of every aisle and watching the crowd like a hawk (at least in the east side upper deck where I sit).  They lost a little bit of their intensity in the second half as the crowd thinned a bit, but I’ve never seen so many of them and so focused as I did Saturday. 

On 9/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, WBT said:

Lulz, the band's Shotgun Texas is now Texas Spell Out

Around 10am next Saturday when it's almost time to walk to the stadium from my tailgate and I grab a tall Bud Light and begin to look for a stabbing device I will get that "what the hell are you doing" look from my wife.  My response "I'm about to Spell Out this ice cold Bud Light"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the AD responding to a fan who is complaining about people standing in front of them? 

After clicking the tweet and looking at replies, lots of complaints about people standing in front of the ADA/wheelchair seats.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the AD responding to a fan who is complaining about people standing in front of them? 

CDC just called me. He asked me to karate kick anyone standing up during the game for any reason. This means you will have to crawl to the restrooms. You have all been warned. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

JFKFC will be the guy perma-posed in the Crane Kick position for the duration of the game.  Please occasionally bring him a drink or snack.  But do not approach directly from the front like that fucking idiot Johnny.  Oh Johnny, if only there was some way to have known which foot he was gonna kick you with, if only he had telegraphed it for 90 seconds on camera.  

I'd love to see more standing and hear more noise, in all honesty.  Only downside is people won't have had much time to get "sauced" up and the sun of midday can make folks groggy with whatever booze they did consume.  Having said that, after yet another record hellfire summer of bullshit heat, if we can't suck it up for one more 100 degree day for fucking Alabama...we don't deserve to win.  Unless you're ADA or over 75...this is not a game to complain to the folks in front of you about standing too much.  Make it fun, tell 'em you don't care so long as they bring you an extra beer next time they run down for concessions.    

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/4/2022 at 7:51 PM, fatheryeet said:
On 9/4/2022 at 5:49 PM, Red Five said:
It used to be fun to watch the band march into the stadium. Now it's just weird. They all kind of shuffle to their spots, and then take forever to actually play Texas Fight. 

It got messed up when they added the hall of fame so the band isn't able to go through that tunnel. It got worse when an idiot GA from Penn State thought it was a good idea to rewrite the entire pregame, which was classic, and try and get the band to do the same thing Penn State does, and fucking Hanna went along with it. It's the dumbest shit

I am by no means a band person. Never played in it, never paid attention to it, but I did notice that the entrance was missing something a year or so ago. There was no buildup. 

• Like 1

I’ll be doing something different this year and will be coming up to the stadium from the South side. We usually come from the North and park in the neighborhoods around Posse East, but want to be on the south side this year to make it easier to get out of town after the game. Any suggestions?  I’m ok with paying $20 or so and don’t care about an above average walk, but would like something with a quick exit to 35 S or any main artery heading south where I can eventually work myself to 35. 

4 hours ago, EZ$ said:

I’ll be doing something different this year and will be coming up to the stadium from the South side. We usually come from the North and park in the neighborhoods around Posse East, but want to be on the south side this year to make it easier to get out of town after the game. Any suggestions?  I’m ok with paying $20 or so and don’t care about an above average walk, but would like something with a quick exit to 35 S or any main artery heading south where I can eventually work myself to 35. 

$40 to park in the Health Center garage on Trinity. Worked great for us on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

They charge forty dollars to park that far away?  How was it getting out?  Every damn week my neighbor texts me 30 minutes prior to kickoff asking where he and his son can park and every week I tell him the same thing, "Park 90 minutes ago."  

Wasn’t bad but departures were spread out given that it was a blowout. We left with 5 min left in the game. Nice thing is it’s close to the interstate if that’s your target. 

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Drop a car off near the stadium earlier in the day, uber to the stadium, walk to the drop car after the game. Drive home.

Not a tough logistics issue.

It’s an 11am kickoff and we are planning on getting there around 8:30, so not worried about how, asking about “where”.  I have no familiarity with the southern area from the stadium. Is there street parking, small lots, etc?

13 hours ago, EZ$ said:

We usually come from the North and park in the neighborhoods around Posse East

that is what we do. I look at it as "getting my steps in".

Always a personal disappointment, if cant find a spot south of 34thSt.

i can't stand the thought of paying for parking and then it taking half an hour to get out of the damn thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:

Where is the Champions Club now? I was gifted some passes for the season.

It used to be PAC, but I heard it moved. Is that correct? Thanks!

Its in San Jac now. Last week it was terrible but they sent an email out this week saying they are making improvements..

In our constant effort to improve the Champions Club gameday experience, please note that the number of food and beverage points of sale have been increased, as well as the expanded outdoor patio for seating.

As a friendly reminder, the new location of Champions Club is in San Jacinto Residence Hall. Located just off Bevo Blvd. across San Jacinto Blvd. near Gate 1 on the southwest corner of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Please look for the Longhorn Foundation flags at the entrance.

San Jacinto Hall includes a climate-controlled, indoor hospitality space with full-service bars and food buffets for purchase (with the availability of cahsless line options). Family-friendly activities, flat screen TVs and a pregame pep rally led by Texas Cheer & Pom will remain essential components of your gameday hospitality experience.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was in section 17 from 2009-2021 before they relocated me to section 31 and lemme tell you brother I am fuckin pissed.  I went from being about 4 seats from the aisle to being as far away from the aisle as mathematically possible.  And I went from being able to see the field (from the middle of the north end zone lower level) to about the worst seats you can possibly have on the lower level, back of the side south end zone.  This fucking sucks.