ULM Warhawks @ Longhorns 7PM on LHN - The Mullet Hath Arriveth

immamac

10 hours ago, Slacks said:

OkSo... I don't have LHN and I was out with some UT brothers and wives, so I did not see the game. I will, but for now I want an overview from those of you who can see what's good and what needs work.

It seems like the game was so out of hand that there wasn't much work, which I don't like, but I'm ok with saving dudes and playbook to get ready for next week.

So, what looked good and what didn't?

Ewers after the first drive looked okay.  He made the easy reads and completions, but never connected on a few deep balls.  Threw a few dimes in the RPO game into tight windows.

WR/TE corps were really good. JaTavion Sanders was the star of the game.  Casey Cain took a naked screen and made 3 defenders miss, Whittington was sharp on the downfield blocking and was bullying ULM defenders.   Savion Red looked good late.

RBs are Heisman level.

OL looked worse/same?  Banks did fine, Hutson looked lost.  Majors was a lot better than anyone rotating in.  Jones gave up a sack early.

---

The defensive front was solid. A lot of different looks.  I think they were film dumping/testing our guys. There was a fair bit of slanting/stunting. D-Line played disciplined.   Overshown was a beast.  Sorrell looked good. It was a sharp decline in 4Q when the 3rd team went in.  We almost immediately were committing unforced errors again.  ULM's TD was a parting of seas situation.

Its hard to tell with the secondary because they aren't on TV 80% of the time.  Corners must have been good.  Jamier Johnson gave up a deep curl letting the WR push off.  The KSU transfer even had a nice snag story on the sideline where it didn't matter who was in coverage.   That's all I remember from them.   

A receiver got loose late when the underneath zone player (Taafe?) just did not get enough depth nor stay balanced.  It was an intermediate throw but a big scramble afterwards.

The ULM QB played a good game, I don't remember any missed opportunities or bad throw or dropped balls. I think they tested us decently from a mental aspect at least.  I'm not sure whether the Dline was tested or not.  They sort of dominated which feels weird to say.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm telling y'all the best part of watching the defense was that they didn't over pursue.  They took angles and blocks that forced the runners into the kill zones that other defenders were able to make easy tackles on.  That was my biggest takeaway on it.  I forget which play it was but one of the Dlinemen was engaged with the Online and he backed up when he realized the runner was trying to make an inside cut.  The runner lost the option to cut inside and break loose outside forcing an 1 yard gain.  Last year that would have broke for a touchdown 

• Hook 'Em 5

On second viewing, Ewers didn't look as bad as first thought.

Ewers was out of synch on the first drive (1:15). On 2nd down, he waited too long to throw to X and then put too much air under it. Hopefully later in the season, that's 6. On third down (1:38), I previously thought he missed a wide open Whittington, but there was a LB in the passing lane. Prob a good decision not to make that throw. But then missing a wide open X running across the filed was on him and then shitty throw leading to the INT was on him. 

On the missed throw to X (4:31), X ran a great double move route. X was open right when he made the second move. He was simply going to run right past the DB. Ewers waited way too long to release the ball waiting for X to actually be open. X had 6 yards on the DB. And then Ewers made a bad throw. With a decent throw and even with the late timing, that's 6. After, the stadium monitor showed X walking down the sideline. He was pissed.

Ewers settled down and did well, especially for his first start. The examples above were the most egregious misses that he had. He has the tools. His first game. He made some mistakes but made some good decisions and throws. I'm fully on the Ewers bus.

Bijan is fucking amazing. He turns zero yard plays to 7-8 yards. Fun as shit to watch.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 9

46 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Ewers was out of synch on the first drive (1:15). On 2nd down, he waited too long to throw to X and then put too much air under it. Hopefully later in the season, that's 6. On third down (1:38), I previously thought he missed a wide open Whittington, but there was a LB in the passing lane. Prob a good decision not to make that throw. But then missing a wide open X running across the filed was on him and then shitty throw leading to the INT was on him. 

On the missed throw to X (4:31), X ran a great double move route. X was open right when he made the second move. He was simply going to run right past the DB. Ewers waited way too long to release the ball waiting for X to actually be open. X had 6 yards on the DB. And then Ewers made a bad throw. With a decent throw and even with the late timing, that's 6. After, the stadium monitor showed X walking down the sideline. He was pissed.

Ewers settled down and did well, especially for his first start. The examples above were the most egregious misses that he had. He has the tools. His first game. He made some mistakes but made some good decisions and throws. I'm fully on the Ewers bus.

Bijan is fucking amazing. He turns zero yard plays to 7-8 yards. Fun as shit to watch.

Worthy could have helped Quinn out on the first one. Guessing that was Cover 3 and the corner jumped the route in the flat. If Worthy worked to the other side of the numbers, he severely hinders the safety’s ability to get over to him. Quinn is still late on the throw, but working to the sideline would have helped him 

• Hook 'Em 2

Watching it again, the o-line was better than I thought. Helm struggled on several plays and the sack on Ewers looked like his guy. Sanders let a guy run right by him and stop Bijan at the line. Another stop on Bijan was just a good play by a db. In real time it seemed like there were more busted assignments. 

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

Watching it again, the o-line was better than I thought. Helm struggled on several plays and the sack on Ewers looked like his guy. Sanders let a guy run right by him and stop Bijan at the line. Another stop on Bijan was just a good play by a db. In real time it seemed like there were more busted assignments. 

Hutson got beat like a rented mule on that play to flush Ewers into the sack 

8 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

It was also about as vanilla a game plan as it could be. 

That and it was obvious Sark didn't want to over work his best players. 

Bijan and Roschon were averaging 7 yards a carry. If Sark was willing to feed those 2 for 30+ carries combined it would have been a bloodbath. 

Watching in full now. At halftime:

Pleasant offensive surprise: Kelvin Banks. Not that he’s physically ready, I think that was expected, but I’ve seen him pick up the kind of twists and stunts that routinely flummoxed the OL last year. He’s mentally ready for college. I’m sure Bama will beat him a few times but I think he’s going to be all conference by next year.

Disappointment on offense: Jake Majors. Didn’t necessarily play a bad game but still doesn’t look to have the strength to really excel on the interior. I wanted to see some improvement there.

Pleasant defensive surprise: Gotta be Sorrell, anything resembling a disruptive presence on the edge is more than expected.

Disappointment on defense: Secondary still looking shaky. I have hope they can improve as they get experience together at least.

• Like 1

Just rewatched. 

DMO was the best player on D. All over the place and had some fantastic tackles. Sorrell was great, too. Our secondary isn't going to be good but that's okay. 

Quinn was a little jumpy. Overall he played a good game - especially his decision making. He has more arm talent than maybe anyone that's ever played here. Just has to connect on those deep balls and he could stand to get through his progressions more quickly. I wish we gave him at least one more series.

Card was fucking horrendous. I think he was our worst player (maybe him and Pearson). If Quinn gets hurt we are really fucked. 

Worthy is just a filthy return man. He may house 4 or 5 this season. 

Whittington was mauling guys downfield all game. He's a bad mofo. PLEASE just stay healthy. 

Sanders is obviously great. Blocks like a TE - pass catches like a WR. He looks like someone designed him in a lab. 

Burke is going to be a nightmare to try and block in about 20 pounds. 

Tacking on - the Brockermeyer whiff on the ULM TD was so fucking bad. That dude needs to hang 'em up. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just rewatched. 

DMO was the best player on D. All over the place and had some fantastic tackles. Sorrell was great, too. Our secondary isn't going to be good but that's okay. 

Quinn was a little jumpy. Overall he played a good game - especially his decision making. He has more arm talent than maybe anyone that's ever played here. Just has to connect on those deep balls and he could stand to get through his progressions more quickly. I wish we gave him at least one more series.

Card was fucking horrendous. I think he was our worst player (maybe him and Pearson). If Quinn gets hurt we are really fucked. 

Worthy is just a filthy return man. He may house 4 or 5 this season. 

Whittington was mauling guys downfield all game. He's a bad mofo. PLEASE just stay healthy. 

Sanders is obviously great. Blocks like a TE - pass catches like a WR. He looks like someone designed him in a lab. 

Burke is going to be a nightmare to try and block in about 20 pounds. 

Burke was a fantastic pickup.  Harbaugh knows how to evaluate and develop and they wanted Burke.  Dude has long ass arms and plays with a high motor.  He’s also been coached in very well in high school.  

The minute Card played, he took two sacks.  He’s just not very good what so ever.  The face the previous coaching staff thought this guy was the next Aaron Rodgers should tell you clueless those guys were.

I thought Gillbeau was very good as well.  He’s probably going to lock down the star position over Barron.  

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I thought Gillbeau was very good as well.  He’s probably going to lock down the star position over Barron.  

I doubt this will happen, but I could see them having Barron replace Jamison and starting Guilbeau at Star. Guilbeau looked good and Jamison continues to get beat consistently, even against ULM.  He needs to go. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The minute Card played, he took two sacks.  He’s just not very good what so ever.  The face the previous coaching staff thought this guy was the next Aaron Rodgers should tell you clueless those guys were.

Well, I mean, Sark did start him last season, so he definitely has incriminating evidence against both staffs.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I don't know what game y'all were watching. Casey looked much improved. He especially connected well on the long ball and did quite well with the intermediate and check-downs as welll. It probably helped that he had a long time in the pocket, though. Angilou looked much improved in pass protection as did Karic and Jones. Billingsley provided solid blocking as well and was a great outlet. Blue probabably outperformed Bijan a bit, but maybe Johnson was a little dinged up from his heavy practice load. On defense, it looks like Brockermeyer is finally fully healed and Foster was always there to clean up the misses. Ovie was spectacular and was helped by an ever improving Jett Bush. I counted at least 8 quarterback pressures and 6 tackles for loss by our interior defense led by Collins and Broughton. I really don't think we could have asked for more from an opening game. Bring on Bama.

Casey?

24 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don't even understand how he's 2nd on the depth chart. Just how good is he in practice? I'd rather roll with CW - I'd imagine he could at least get the ball downfield.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The simple answer is we aren’t good. I didn’t see much improvement anywhere but it was an opener. Our QB is going to play bad, he looks like a high school QB. But…..he has the skill set to improve. I can see the pieces on offense, I don’t see any on D. Bama is going to kill us, if one loss turns into 2, everything falls apart.

Is this derek?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I doubt this will happen, but I could see them having Barron replace Jamison and starting Guilbeau at Star. Guilbeau looked good and Jamison continues to get beat consistently, even against ULM.  He needs to go. 

I really figured when Jamison got here he would end up playing on Sunday’s. I’m more surprised about him than Foster, Green and the rest of that gang. Even though he’s a little short, he showed real promise early on in his career. Just never improved much. 

6 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The simple answer is we aren’t good. I didn’t see much improvement anywhere but it was an opener. Our QB is going to play bad, he looks like a high school QB. But…..he has the skill set to improve. I can see the pieces on offense, I don’t see any on D. Bama is going to kill us, if one loss turns into 2, everything falls apart.

life suicide GIF by David

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

Whittington, Sanders, Overshown, entire RB room, Quinn's rebound from the first series, Worthy's speed and attitude, Banks, DMT, Sorrell, special teams coverage -- I'm sure I'm missing a few things, but all of those things portend well for conference play, assuming we get out of Bama healthy. Gonna be a fun season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The throws to Whittington and Sanders in the 3rd quarter were fucking dimes. Not many humans can make those throws. 

Christian Jones seemed to play well at the beginning of the game but was trash at the end. He was getting worked and almost got Card killed. I hope it was just a conditioning thing because he looked very 2021 late in the game. 

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I'm telling y'all the best part of watching the defense was that they didn't over pursue.  They took angles and blocks that forced the runners into the kill zones that other defenders were able to make easy tackles on.  That was my biggest takeaway on it.  I forget which play it was but one of the Dlinemen was engaged with the Online and he backed up when he realized the runner was trying to make an inside cut.  The runner lost the option to cut inside and break loose outside forcing an 1 yard gain.  Last year that would have broke for a touchdown 

For the most part I def agree with you as I was focusing on that (edge generally but not running out of gaps repeatedly up front generally) but I did see Ovie blow by the play a few times, although on one occasion he was visibly upset about it and tapped his chest looking at Overshown, i think, who made a backside tackle on that play. 

Of course those few plays caused a flashback to last year and now I can't remember if Ovie did anything good.

My biggest takeaway was the success on 3rd/4th down. Initial stats look bad at 5/13 on 3rd down but on passing plays we were 5-7 on 3rd and 4th downs when Quinn was playing including 2-2 on 4th down after Bijan runs. Last year we were abysmal on 3rd outside of the Louisiana game. It shows how much faith Sark has in QE by running Bijan on 3rd and trusting him on 4th down. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

My biggest takeaway was the success on 3rd/4th down. Initial stats look bad at 5/13 on 3rd down but on passing plays we were 5-7 on 3rd and 4th downs when Quinn was playing including 2-2 on 4th down after Bijan runs. Last year we were abysmal on 3rd outside of the Louisiana game. It shows how much faith Sark has in QE by running Bijan on 3rd and trusting him on 4th down. 

That's what having a good TE will do for you. 

Sanders is the real deal. 

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I really figured when Jamison got here he would end up playing on Sunday’s. I’m more surprised about him than Foster, Green and the rest of that gang. Even though he’s a little short, he showed real promise early on in his career. Just never improved much. 

All the Herman players are JAGs. 

Look at the DL. It's already readily apparent that the upside of the DL is much higher with Burke, Sorrell, Murphy, and Finkely compared to Ojomo, Sweat, and Coburn. 

I didn’t understand why Sorrel didn’t play more last season. He always seems to make plays. He did again last night. 

I thought Christian Jones was good in the run game. He was burying guys. I still don’t trust him on an island against a speed rusher, but if he could at least be a plus in the run game it would be nice.  

i think my favorite Ewers play was when he got flushed out and pump faked the defender and gave it up to Sanders for a big gain. He could have thrown it earlier for just a couple of yards but he created a big play with the fake. Just a smart instinctive play that we haven’t had from a qb in a long time. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 9

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought Christian Jones was good in the run game. He was burying guys. I still don’t trust him on an island against a speed rusher, but if he could at least be a plus in the run game it would be nice.  

I thought the OL, in general, was very good in the run game. 

Bijan and Roschon averaged 7 yards a carry. There were holes all night. The only reason it didn't stand out more is because both received limited carries since Texas didn't need either to win this game. 

I think this is the best path to being competitive against Alabama. Feed Bijan and Roschon all game with a couple big plays from Sanders/Worthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

All the Herman players are JAGs. 

Look at the DL. It's already readily apparent that the upside of the DL is much higher with Burke, Sorrell, Murphy, and Finkely compared to Ojomo, Sweat, and Coburn. 

The few times Bledsoe was in he nearly got a sack on a couple plays.  Just drove the OT back, and I think a RB was helping one time.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Christian Jones seemed to play well at the beginning of the game but was trash at the end. He was getting worked and almost got Card killed. I hope it was just a conditioning thing because he looked very 2021 late in the game. 

On several plays when he dominated his man I finally saw a mean streak as he kept going till he had his man on the ground. Many other times he is still a sieve.

48 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

i think my favorite Ewers play was when he got flushed out and pump faked the defender and gave it up to Sanders for a big gain. He could have thrown it earlier for just a couple of yards but he created a big play with the fake. Just a smart instinctive play that we haven’t had from a qb in a long time. 

Now imagine Card pissing his pants in this same scenario 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

He has the physical tools, but he’s exceptionally bad with eye discipline and awareness. It’s hard to say if it’s due to so many different DB coaches, many of whom sucked or if the light never would’ve turned on for him, but it certainly hasn’t happened for one reason or another and I’m tired of waiting for it. Time to play guys like Barron and Guilbeau who’ve shown really good instincts. 

49 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I thought the OL, in general, was very good in the run game. 

Bijan and Roschon averaged 7 yards a carry. There were holes all night. The only reason it didn't stand out more is because both received limited carries since Texas didn't need either to win this game. 

I think this is the best path to being competitive against Alabama. Feed Bijan and Roschon all game with a couple big plays from Sanders/Worthy. 

Eh. I don’t agree with this. We had a lot of terribly blocked run plays with the first team in, and I don’t think Bijan averaging 7 YPC against ULM is a sign of good run blocking. The guy was breaking multiple tackles almost every run. The OL yards in that game are well below what Bijan averaged, which isn’t a good sign when you’re playing a team like ULM that your OL should absolutely dominate.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The few times Bledsoe was in he nearly got a sack on a couple plays.  Just drove the OT back, and I think a RB was helping one time.

He can move for a big man. Odd how little people talked about his first action. 

48 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

On several plays when he dominated his man I finally saw a mean streak as he kept going till he had his man on the ground. Many other times he is still a sieve.

Jones can run block. That has never been his issue. 

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

all right, I can work with this.

at 3:53 in this video, this is the kind of throw I'm talking about. Splits the defenders, throws open the receiver, hits him in stride 25 yards away... and Ewers makes it look easy and boring.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

all right, I can work with this.

at 3:53 in this video, this is the kind of throw I'm talking about. Splits the defenders, throws open the receiver, hits him in stride 25 yards away... and Ewers makes it look easy and boring.

Oh and then 7:43, you have the absolute dime to Sanders.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

He has the physical tools, but he’s exceptionally bad with eye discipline and awareness. It’s hard to say if it’s due to so many different DB coaches, many of whom sucked or if the light never would’ve turned on for him, but it certainly hasn’t happened for one reason or another and I’m tired of waiting for it. Time to play guys like Barron and Guilbeau who’ve shown really good instincts. 

Eh. I don’t agree with this. We had a lot of terribly blocked run plays with the first team in, and I don’t think Bijan averaging 7 YPC against ULM is a sign of good run blocking. The guy was breaking multiple tackles almost every run. The OL yards in that game are well below what Bijan averaged, which isn’t a good sign when you’re playing a team like ULM that your OL should absolutely dominate.  

It certainly seemed like the online had issues.

Bijan had 55 yards after contact in his 10 carries, meaning the online gave him on average 1.6 yards of space per carry.

And Bijan was the lucky RB this game. In all 24 total carries, 31 yards were before contact. Looks like UT RBs broke 18 tackles on the day.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

Burke was a fantastic pickup.  Harbaugh knows how to evaluate and develop and they wanted Burke.  Dude has long ass arms and plays with a high motor.  He’s also been coached in very well in high school.  

Card didn't look good, but in fairness, the people playing line at that time looked awful and didn't give him time.

• Hook 'Em 1