Game Week- Alabama

Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

here's an interesting dataset.  it's very limited.  very small.

ignore all of the non-con "kickoff" games in atlanta and dallas.   why?  we didn't get to count 35-30 at a neutral site in dallas, so fuck tide's atlanta & dallas results.

since colt went down, our elephant friends have played non-con roadies a grand total of.......

wait for it....

it's worth it.....

FUCKING TWICE.

in 2010 they went to Durham and obliterated Duke 62-13

in 2011 they went to Slappyvalley and handled pedder 27-11

that's it

they have been outside of conference on the road twice since squints' debut

they haven't played a true non-con roadie in more than 10 years

in the back of their minds, a non-con 11am road kick at another helmet school is not familiar to them

prior to the 2010 trip to Durham, their last non-con roadie was also the last time they went west of the mississippi for a non-con roadie

7 september 2002

norman, oklahoma

thieves 37

elephants 27

Jimmy Fallon Ok GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

My prediction is that Alabama loads up and sells their soul to stop the run with the attitude of making Ewers prove he can beat them.  He won't, lots a three and outs, defense on the field the whole game, Alabama on there verge of blowing it out, then Saban calls off the horses to avoid making Sark look bad.

Not my preferred outcome but the past ten years have conditioned me to the idea that we just can't have nice things.

Change my mind.

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

My prediction is that Alabama loads up and sells their soul to stop the run with the attitude of making Ewers prove he can beat them.  He won't, lots a three and outs, defense on the field the whole game, Alabama on there verge of blowing it out, then Saban calls off the horses to avoid making Sark look bad.

Not my preferred outcome but the past ten years have conditioned me to the idea that we just can't have nice things.

Change my mind.

Well if they sell out to stop the run he should have time to throw at least. Find Sanders a few times maybe.

Anybody thinking Saban won’t run it up on Texas if he’s given the chance is crazy.  He’s an asshole, it helps in recruiting and he’s already done it once to us (which he trolls us with that big ass picture in his office where he takes a pic with all the Texas recruits).  

• Hook 'Em 4

We were very “vanilla” offensively versus ULM, just as Bama was vs Utah State, even though both scored over 50. Both teams had a shake the rust off game prior to next week’s tilt.

I’m more worried about our defense getting off the field and forcing Bama to punt or even a turnover. Offensively, we will move the ball and hopefully generate points. Will it be enough?

That’s why they play the game!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1

In spite of the rough patches (all expected, no surprises) there was a lot more to like about our win last night versus the opener last year. Of course ULM is not the same quality as LaLaff, so theres that.

The difference for me is I can definitely see this team getting better as the season progresses versus last years team that clearly regressed in many ways from game to game. I like the fact we have a real tight end in what seems like forever. We mudhole Bama.

Edit- or they us, whichever

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Anybody thinking Saban won’t run it up on Texas if he’s given the chance is crazy.  He’s an asshole, it helps in recruiting and he’s already done it once to us (which he trolls us with that big ass picture in his office where he takes a pic with all the Texas recruits).  

What picture is this?  Satan is something else…

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

What picture is this?  Satan is something else…

It’s a pic of Ingram going into end zone against us.  Seemed like every recruit we are after magically takes a pic with Saban in front of this. BE7E3E05-0845-4F09-B609-BA7B312BE13C.jpeg.c78c52fd6559a9fe421cd82b2f089bef.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Alabama’s last loss to Non power 5 was to ULM in 2007.  We have just defeated the same War Eagles last week.  Our only loss to Bama was in the 2010 national championship game. We all know how it has gone since that fateful day for both teams. The universe is realigning itself.   UT 38-Alabama 35 through a Auburn field goal.   

Believe it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Change my mind.

I don’t think bama has to “load up” to stop our run. They’re stacked everywhere and can play us straight up and not have to sell out to one area. It’s Gina be a tough game.

• Like 1

This will look like UGA vs Oregon. Bama is just on a completely different level.

So long as major injuries are avoided and they don’t let it beat them twice, that doesn’t have any bearing on Texas’s ability to win games and compete in the Big 12, because no one else on the schedule is in Bama’s universe either. But I would not advise having any positive expectations going into this.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This will look like UGA vs Oregon. Bama is just on a completely different level.

So long as major injuries are avoided and they don’t let it beat them twice, that doesn’t have any bearing on Texas’s ability to win games and compete in the Big 12, because no one else on the schedule is in Bama’s universe either. But I would not advise having any positive expectations going into this.

Of all your bitch made posts over the last 6 months this takes the cake of most bitch made. I mean, there’s a real chance this game could get away from us and end in a smooth buttfucking, but predicting that we lose by 6 TD’s or something at home against a team that lost twice last year (including to aggy) and played 4 games that were within 1 score- 2 of which came against teams with losing records- seems needlessly pessimistic. This game is a 17 point spread for a reason. We have guys that would start for them at WR, RB & TE. That’s not worth nothing. It’s probably too early for us to seriously threaten them, but the idea of conceding a 40 plus point beat down before the game is over reactionary. That’s probably a 10th percentile outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

I'm not so sure. ULM were forcing 4th downs. The offense was vanilla but certainly wasn't executing the easy stuff with ease. We were constantly moving the pocket because protection was spotty. I'll believe it when I see it.

It was our first fucking game with a new QB playing his first game in 2 years and a bunch of underclass OL. Sorry we didn’t score a TD every single drive like a seasoned team with a veteran OL and a Heisman QB.

Some of y’all have the highest stupidest expectations in the world. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket - you might have caught a fish. ---- Darrell Royal

"We don't want any candy stripes on our uniforms. These are work clothes."

---- Darrell Royal  🤘

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am kind of expecting a bit of sort of momentary "prowess" shown ala OU last year.  Maybe not a big lead, but at least an illusion for a quarter or so that we can hang.

I think so too. As great as Alabama is, they’ve been historically coddled with their nonconference road schedule, so having to play a team that’s not so terrible on the road at 11am for the second game of the season has to count for something.

I still think we lose by at least three TDs.

I hope all of you pussies that tremble in fear at the mere thought of Bama are staying home Saturday. If you have them give your tickets to someone who is going to show up and cheer the team on with confidence. I don’t see this Bama team being that much better than last years version and they played plenty of close games and also lost to a bad A&M team. So fuck off with the, “we have no chance” takes. Y’all should be fucking embarrassed to even post such.

Oh FFS. It’s a college football game. No one here is touching the field, no one here is “trembling in fear.” I’ll be there, I’ll cheer as I would at any other game, but that doesn’t change the fact that the writing is on the wall. I’m going to have a good time and I won’t be on here sulking about firing Sark or how a blowout loss was actually really competitive if you look at it the right way. If the keyboard alpha bit helps you get up for the game then more power to you, I guess, but spare me.
Of all your bitch made posts over the last 6 months this takes the cake of most bitch made. I mean, there’s a real chance this game could get away from us and end in a smooth buttfucking, but predicting that we lose by 6 TD’s or something at home against a team that lost twice last year (including to aggy) and played 4 games that were within 1 score- 2 of which came against teams with losing records- seems needlessly pessimistic. This game is a 17 point spread for a reason. We have guys that would start for them at WR, RB & TE. That’s not worth nothing. It’s probably too early for us to seriously threaten them, but the idea of conceding a 40 plus point beat down before the game is over reactionary. That’s probably a 10th percentile outcome. 

You want to talk about a 10th percentile outcome? Both of these posts go into cherry picking the track record of last year’s Bama team for its worst performances. Both of these posts exhibit extreme cognitive dissonance in assuming that an elite team that returns the majority of its defensive starters, its sophomore QB, and the majority of its OL will have no notable improvement; while a team that went 5-7, lost to Kansas, and couldn’t physically handle Arkansas last year has improved so vastly that it’s going to be able to compete with said elite team.

I can’t really argue with that so I’m not going to bother.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Damn, line up to 20.5 now. This is gonna suck. 

That's just the public at large (the dumb bets) seeing that 17 pt line and betting it up in droves. Has no bearing on what smart money thinks of the game. Smart money won't come in until Friday at the earliest. 

Vegas likes to set traps on games they feel certain will be a lot closer than what the public at large thinks. The Vegas line setters probably feel this is within a 14 pt game or so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It was our first fucking game with a new QB playing his first game in 2 years and a bunch of underclass OL. Sorry we didn’t score a TD every single drive like a seasoned team with a veteran OL and a Heisman QB.

Some of y’all have the highest stupidest expectations in the world. 

Lmao. It’s true we do. I hate when I get mad during a game and the next day I’m like “ok I overreacted a little”. People should watch the replay. Lots of good stuff happened with a lot of “Yeesh wtf was that”. I expect to lose saturday and after that my hope is we get motivated to get better and not let the wheels come off.

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Oh FFS. It’s a college football game. No one here is touching the field, no one here is “trembling in fear.” I’ll be there, I’ll cheer as I would at any other game, but that doesn’t change the fact that the writing is on the wall. I’m going to have a good time and I won’t be on here sulking about firing Sark or how a blowout loss was actually really competitive if you look at it the right way. If the keyboard alpha bit helps you get up for the game then more power to you, I guess, but spare me.

You want to talk about a 10th percentile outcome? Both of these posts go into cherry picking the track record of last year’s Bama team for its worst performances. Both of these posts exhibit extreme cognitive dissonance in assuming that an elite team that returns the majority of its defensive starters, its sophomore QB, and the majority of its OL will have no notable improvement; while a team that went 5-7, lost to Kansas, and couldn’t physically handle Arkansas last year has improved so vastly that it’s going to be able to compete with said elite team.

I can’t really argue with that so I’m not going to bother.

Oh yes, because the idea that we could keep this game within 21 is so dumb as to not even be worth responding to. Or saying that losing by 6 TD’s is actually completely possible but not remotely the most plausible outcome in this game is soooooo stupid. 
I conceded we could lose by 45. The fact that you can’t concede that’s it’s possible we keep the game within 2 or 3 scores says more about you than me. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I remember watching interviews from Colts players before and super bowl III. The colts players (like bama) were so much better that they basically said on our worst day and the jets best day they couldn’t beat us. Well…turns out on the jets best day they could beat the colts having a bad day, haha. I realize this is an nfl comparison but it’s the same game being played. Auburn v Oregon in 2011, cam newton was dominate and they had a big OL. They struggled mightily to manhandle an Oregon team that was pure speed. If bama comes out flat, or uninterested and Texas comes out hot then there’s always a chance the game stays close, gotdamnit. 

13 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

here's an interesting dataset.  it's very limited.  very small.

ignore all of the non-con "kickoff" games in atlanta and dallas.   why?  we didn't get to count 35-30 at a neutral site in dallas, so fuck tide's atlanta & dallas results.

since colt went down, our elephant friends have played non-con roadies a grand total of.......

wait for it....

it's worth it.....

FUCKING TWICE.

in 2010 they went to Durham and obliterated Duke 62-13

in 2011 they went to Slappyvalley and handled pedder 27-11

that's it

they have been outside of conference on the road twice since squints' debut

they haven't played a true non-con roadie in more than 10 years

in the back of their minds, a non-con 11am road kick at another helmet school is not familiar to them

prior to the 2010 trip to Durham, their last non-con roadie was also the last time they went west of the mississippi for a non-con roadie

7 september 2002

norman, oklahoma

thieves 37

elephants 27

Ok I'm in. Alabama is going to chortle our balls.

48 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Isn’t special teams a big part of why we pay Banks $1M+ a year? How is it that our kicking and punting situations are so dire.

What makes our kicking and punting situations "dire"? Our kicker looked perfectly fine the one real kick he had. Our punter learned you have to catch the football before you can punt it. Let's see him actually put one in the air before we call that situation dire.

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What makes our kicking and punting situations "dire"? Our kicker looked perfectly fine the one real kick he had. Our punter learned you have to catch the football before you can punt it. Let's see him actually put one in the air before we call that situation dire.

It’s really ducking bad. And I’m tryin to be captain sunshine up in here. 

12 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Change my mind.

They aren’t going to have to commit extra bodies to stop the run. And Saban doesn’t have a soul left to sell 

I hope our players don’t have a defeated mindset like the posters, I especially hope they don’t pretend their defeated mindset is ‘realistic’ to make themselves feel better about it.

Hopefully they believe in themselves and look at this as a chance to prove themselves. From the point of view of a player, they aren’t playing Sauron’s rings, they are playing against the guy in front of them.

If we are going to win we will need to press the deep part of the field to back the defense off. Play action then throws over the top will help us set up the run.

I think our defense could be ok.

I’m worried about kicking / punting.