Wulaw Horn

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Should always be a Texas g5 fbs school and someone from this list that we have a losing record against:

Air force 0-1

Byu 1-4

Minnesota 0-1

Ncst 0-1

Northwestern 0-1

Notre dame 3-9

Usc 2-5

Syracuse 0-2

Ucla 3-4

va tech 0-1

P5s will demand a home-and-home, and I bet with the SEC move we switch to the one powerhouse home-and-home and two home cupcakes model like we had this year.

Which is too bad - it basically means we'll never find a place in our schedule for a Northwestern or a Syracuse, and lower P5 roadtrips are fun. Unless you lose to Cal and Maryland, so thanks for that Charlie and Tom.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

P5s will demand a home-and-home, and I bet with the SEC move we switch to the one powerhouse home-and-home and two home cupcakes model like we had this year.

Which is too bad - it basically means we'll never find a place in our schedule for a Northwestern or a Syracuse, and lower P5 roadtrips are fun. Unless you lose to Cal and Maryland, so thanks for that Charlie and Tom.

It would be cool to keep a rotation of UTSA, UTEP, UNT, and Texas State  as one of the "cupcakes"

Then one of the Non P5's as the other "cupcake"   I'd love to see a rotation between Army, Air Force, and Navy and it would be a blast thanks to the huge number of current and retired military within a few hours of Austin related to these three branches.     But if we can't do this every year,  call up the MWC or Sun Belt.   But please no FCS schools.   We don't new UIW or aggy Commerce on a future schedule.   

For the third with a possible P5,  for TV ratings sake  we should focus the most on the Big 10.   Hopefully we keep those matchups with Michigan,  but we need to get Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State and now USC and UCLA make on the list for that possible P5.   Then if we want to mix in some ACC- Clemson, Florida State, Virginia, Va Tech.      

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It would be cool to keep a rotation of UTSA, UTEP, UNT, and Texas State  as one of the "cupcakes"

Then one of the Non P5's as the other "cupcake"   I'd love to see a rotation between Army, Air Force, and Navy and it would be a blast thanks to the huge number of current and retired military within a few hours of Austin related to these three branches.     But if we can't do this every year,  call up the MWC or Sun Belt.   But please no FCS schools.   We don't new UIW or aggy Commerce on a future schedule.   

For the third with a possible P5,  for TV ratings sake  we should focus the most on the Big 10.   Hopefully we keep those matchups with Michigan,  but we need to get Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State and now USC and UCLA make on the list for that possible P5.   Then if we want to mix in some ACC- Clemson, Florida State, Virginia, Va Tech.      

In general, I love the idea of getting the service academies on the schedule consistently. USAFA was so much fun in baseball.

The problem is, teams do measurably worse the game after playing them since you have to change up all of your practices and schemes to prepare for the triple option. It's a colossal pain in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 4

So Card balls out in practice, but in game situations still tends to make slower than optimal decisions resulting in him holding the ball too long. I am not minimizing his gutsey performance last Saturday when called upon. But what if Wright, who is not as perfect a physical specimen, and wasn't recuruited as highly, is the better game day QB? I would like to at least get a chance to see him run the offense (not just hand off in garbage time) to see what he has. On the other hand, if Sark puts a 90% Card on the field ahead of him on Saturday, there has to be a reason. I like that Sark has all of us guessing.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

So Card balls out in practice, but in game situations still tends to make slower than optimal decisions resulting in him holding the ball too long. I am not minimizing his gutsey performance last Saturday when called upon. But what if Wright, who is not as perfect a physical specimen, and wasn't recuruited as highly, is the better game day QB? I would like to at least get a chance to see him run the offense (not just hand off in garbage time) to see what he has. On the other hand, if Sark puts a 90% Card on the field ahead of him on Saturday, there has to be a reason. I like that Sark has all of us guessing.

If we were playing McNeese State tomorrow, maybe. 

I don't think tomorrow is the time for experiments. If Card is 75-80% healthy and came move around reasonably well in the pocket, he is your best option to go win the game. Don't think we need to overthink it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

If we were playing McNeese State tomorrow, maybe. 

I don't think tomorrow is the time for experiments. If Card is 75-80% healthy and came move around reasonably well in the pocket, he is your best option to go win the game. Don't think we need to overthink it.

If we have a decent lead Wright will come in. I'm sure they would love to get him some reps and let Card rest his ankle.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

If we have a decent lead Wright will come in. I'm sure they would love to get him some reps and let Card rest his ankle.

That would be a really good problem to have. Being up big enough to where we have to debate putting Wright in would be a really good problem.

11 hours ago, CTC2 said:

So you are responsible for them going out of business?  I miss Gatti's.  

11 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. I caused their bankruptcy 35 years before it happened.  They're back, btw.

I think there's a possibility that a lot of us were responsible for their bankruptcy.  There was a Gattis' on Telephone Rd in Houston that I practically lived at. Buffet for lunch and large multi-topping pizzas for dinner. There was also one in San Antonio (SW Military maybe?) that I hit on a regular basis. Never had a bad pizza at any of their locations, but for some reason those two were head and shoulders above the rest. 

52 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Maybe they feel confident that Quinn is gonna be good to go vs tech? So they’ll push Card to play this week 

Or maybe the injury wasn't nearly as serious as the 9.95ers were reporting? 

Card starting against UTSA and then Ewers starting against Tech will show just how worthless they are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I think there's a possibility that a lot of us were responsible for their bankruptcy.  There was a Gattis' on Telephone Rd in Houston that I practically lived at. Buffet for lunch and large multi-topping pizzas for dinner. There was also one in San Antonio (SW Military maybe?) that I hit on a regular basis. Never had a bad pizza at any of their locations, but for some reason those two were head and shoulders above the rest. 

Growing up my family use to go to the Gattis in Kerrville and we loved it, they would play looney tunes on the big screen. I was sad to learn it closed down. 

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Growing up my family use to go to the Gattis in Kerrville and we loved it, they would play looney tunes on the big screen. I was sad to learn it closed down. 

The damn ranch dressing was like crack...  Watery but so damn good.   Wish I could find it again.  Now back to football...  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

The damn ranch dressing was like crack...  Watery but so damn good.   Wish I could find it again.  Now back to football...  

https://mrgattispizza.com/product/famous-ranch-dressing/

You can buy it online, though it says "out of stock" right now.

Oh, and Texas beats UTSA by 3 TDs tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

“He can move, surprisingly mobile. His arm is better than people think as well. He hit a couple deep balls in practice this week. His weakness is the same as all young quarterbacks, processing speed. But when he knows where he’s going with it he can get the job done.”

Card’s play in the Alabama game certainly scored him some points in the locker room. “Of course he earned some respect with that game. The locker room supports both quarterbacks and just wants to win. Players didn’t flinch when Ewers went down.”

The buzz word this week has been ‘let down’. It was made clear to us on Monday the team was focused after the narrow defeat to Alabama. What made practice good this week. “They brought the same energy and focus they brought the first two weeks. They were not happy to hang with Bama, they’re upset they didn’t win and feel like they let an opportunity slip through their hands. They are showing more consistency week to week than ever before.”

this level of analysis is without price. some of yall pay $9.95 for this? i could give you equally good or better information for half the price. 

Random thought experiment - what do you think the line on this game would have been with a fully healthy Card and with a healthy Ewers? 

Line opened at -14 and is currently -12.5. I'm gonna say it would've been around -18 with healthy Card and -25 with Ewers. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I did too. I’m a believer after this week. Something has changed. There’s blood in the water. 

I always believed it was one of the major issues and that he was aware of it. I just didn't know if he could fix it. Watching that first Nebraska game only cemented that thought.

But I'm not ready to say it's for sure fixed yet. So far so good but let's see what happens if they have a bad loss or two. That'll be the real test.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

In general, I love the idea of getting the service academies on the schedule consistently. USAFA was so much fun in baseball.

The problem is, teams do measurably worse the game after playing them since you have to change up all of your practices and schemes to prepare for the triple option. It's a colossal pain in the ass.

Army gave Ousux heck a few years ago in Norman.   Think they took the game to the wire.

USAFA was a fun baseball series.  Did I hear they were on the schedule again this spring?

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Army gave Ousux heck a few years ago in Norman.   Think they took the game to the wire.

USAFA was a fun baseball series.  Did I hear they were on the schedule again this spring?

Think they took that bitch to OT.

And yes - AF is on the schedule again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Random thought experiment - what do you think the line on this game would have been with a fully healthy Card and with a healthy Ewers? 

Line opened at -14 and is currently -12.5. I'm gonna say it would've been around -18 with healthy Card and -25 with Ewers. 

17 probably. I didn’t like it above 13 without card, but am all aboard -12.5 with card starting. Let’s go. 

23 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I don't think there is a QB in the country who is worth almost 13 points to a spread. 

Obviously NFL is slightly different, but here is an article a while back discussing spread movement when it comes to QB injuries.

https://www.sportsinsights.com/blog/nfl-player-point-spread-values/

I could see QB's being more valuable in college than the NFL, so maybe the elite college ones are worth around 9-10 points, but I'm not sure Ewers is even in that category yet. I also think our backup situation is more favorable than a lot of teams considering ours at least has starting experience, so we don't get dinged as much from a line movement perspective.

If Card was fully healthy, the spread probably closer to the -14. With Ewers at the helm it's probably somewhere between 17.5 and 20.

Edited by Hookem2147

30 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The country just wants to see if Texas is more consistent with their play instead of up and down! 

In other news:

Heard the battle for I-35 is sold out. 

Edited by D3zii

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If Card was fully healthy, the spread probably closer to the -14. With Ewers at the helm it's probably somewhere between 17.5 and 20.

I've already commented on this but there's no way it wouldn't be at least 20. If Ewers is healthy it means we're coming off a win against Bama at home and ranked well inside the top 15. I don't know about 25 but we'd 100% be laying 21-22. 

And I think Ewers vs. injured Card/Wright is probably worth around 8 points. Win vs. lose plus the higher ranking gets us the other 1.5-3 easily. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don't think there is a QB in the country who is worth almost 13 points to a spread. 

Obviously NFL is slightly different, but here is an article a while back discussing spread movement when it comes to QB injuries.

https://www.sportsinsights.com/blog/nfl-player-point-spread-values/

I could see QB's being more valuable in college than the NFL, so maybe the elite college ones are worth around 9-10 points, but I'm not sure Ewers is even in that category yet. I also think our backup situation is more favorable than a lot of teams considering ours at least has starting experience, so we don't get dinged as much from a line movement perspective.

That cock smoker (nttawwt) at USC running his head coaches offense, who can eat a bag of dicks, is probably worth 13 points to the spread. But that’s neither here nor there, I’d say your hypothesis is much more common.