Anyone else out of fucks to give?

Fondren & Main

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So I’m going to struggle this off-season with whether I renew my season tickets, which I’ve had since 1996.

Totally reasonable.

I'm just about to the point that I don't want to give another dollar to the football program.  Money is the only thing Bellmont cares about, so let that big newly-renovated stadium sit half-empty.  I'd rather spend my time and money helping fill the new Moody Center and the Disch.

I've come to realize just how lucky I was to be on campus from 03-08. I was super invested in the team and they were really good. My parents got season tickets those years since I was in the band and they wanted to see me, and watch the team, obviously. I started going to the games with my parents after I graduated because Colt was still there and the team was still good. Went to the National Championship game against Bama and felt optimistic about the future of the team.

Ever since then, my interest and passion as a fan has decreased. My dad got diagnosed with cancer and we stopped going to games in 2020, then didn't renew the tickets in 2021 after he died. I don't plan my weekends around the games anymore and I have the expectation that the team will find a way to lose. No confidence in the team whatsoever. If I'm home when they're playing, I'll watch, and if they're playing a big name team I'll try to watch. Otherwise, I just check out the highlights on YouTube.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What's your issue with Gundy other than his politics? 

7 double digit winning seasons at Oklahoma State and maybe 8 after this year. He coaches circles around Strong, Herman, and Sark. 

Gundy is almost exactly like Mack when we hired him except a bit older.

2 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

I will still watch, but mostly so that I can come on Surly and understand what everyone is bitching about.

Pretty much where I'm at. Watched the game with family in Phoenix yesterday and everyone was "I'm surprised you're not that mad." 

I've come to realize that the pinnacle for me was "4th and 5 the national championship is on the line right here." And it was the best sports moment of my life and nothing will come close. Even if we win another one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

To answer the OP's question, yes.  Starting in 2019, I resigned myself to the fact that unless we have some miraculous hiring outcome in the next go around, we will be mediocre for a long time in football.  It's just who we are. We totally fucked the pooch in 2021 with the Sark hire, so I knew we were in for another 3-5 years of misery and disappointment.  Maybe we will get it right with the next guy.  It seems doubtful though.  We need to pull a George Costanza and do exactly the opposite in terms of our hiring instincts.   

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What's your issue with Gundy other than his politics? 

7 double digit winning seasons at Oklahoma State and maybe 8 after this year. He coaches circles around Strong, Herman, and Sark. 

Gundy isn't a 40 year old man anymore. He has a decent shot at retiring from OSU and would have a really good chance of being fired from Texas. Also, he regularly shits the bed against ou.

Yeah, I've been pretty much out since 'Bama loss in NC game, and Mack demonstrated his honesty by reneging on his retirement and telling Muschamp that he wasn't lying because he had said he was planning to retire after that game, but now his plans had changed. Then followed that up with the worst season ever by a team in the NC game the preceding year. Then followed that up by dumping his best friend when Muschamp pushed things, but somehow convincing DeLoss Dodds and his merry band of big cigars to not hire Holgorsen because of his low moral character (divorced, living in a hotel, drinking, gambling, cavorting with younger women - even coeds) and picked Bryan Harsin as OC... oops, I mean co-oc with The Maje, whom Harsin carried around in a little saddle on his shoulders. 

Following that shit up with a couple more years of Fuck You Pay Me Brown, and then with Charlie Strong, who was - unbelievably worse - and then choosing MensaTom Herman, who turned out to be a drunk, a narcissist, and a low-level (although persistent) asshole... all amounting to nine more years of subpar performance.

And then, with Urban Meyer in our pocket, doing a 180 after saying they would deny him nothing, and denying him practically the only thing the Pope said was non-negotiable - a cutout assistant AD for football between HC and AD. Losing Meyer and settling on a west coast drunk, allegedly reformed, a damned fine OC but unproven HC. 

This last guy appears to have learned from Saban almost nothing except better recruiting, handling mediots and how to deal indirectly with admin and big cigars. He has no one on the Offense staff to lead that side of the game, preferring to call his own plays, which apparently include stuffing the O players into his own box or system regardless of their actual abilities. He seems to lean on his DC for everything on that side of the ball. You might think he would have a pretty good idea about defense, since he runs the side of the team that has to attack defenses, but it looks like you'd be wrong. He spends way too much time OC'ing instead of HC'ing, especially on Game Day.

As long as we are - at least I am, here - shitting on Sark, we've now seen and are continuing to see the HC/OC using a QB who is clearly injured and cannot execute the game plan. This is exactly what hapened last year. Casey Thompson played for weeks with a broken or sprained thumb, so we now see Hudson Card playing the entire game for 2 2/3 games with an obviously sprained ankle. Apparently, both for the same reason: because the HC is so afraid to put in the next guy up, that he leaves the injured QB on the field. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather see Murphy and/or Wright at least subbing in while Card tries to get some rest.

Here's something I was wondering about, before the Tech game. If Card aggravates the ankle injury and has to come off the field, who does Sarkisian play? A still-injured Ewers? Rojo? Maalik? Wright? I'm afraid the answer would be Ewers, which I think would be unbelievably stupid - anyone with any sense would leave Ewers as the last choice, not the first. And that sensible coach would actually use one or more of the sub-QBs in games. 

I'm likely to avoid the next three or four games altogether. Probably fooling myself, but it would be a whole lot more pleasant to say "Oh, lost again, did we?" or "Hey, pulled one out, did we?" than it will be to get angrier and angrier while I watch us apparently planlessly floundering around and losing.

Und ze beatings vill continue until ze morale iz more better.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This isn’t complicated.  Nobody is even surprised about Sark’s performance.  The only surprising thing is we hired him in the first place.

At this point, the only explanation is our prior coach was a raging drunk and unfucking that was the most important to our BMDs

I still have fucks to give because I think this team with Ewers >>>>> this team with Card. I hope it will be a tale of 2 halves and that the Ewers portion will be where we seem things go up a level. Again, I appreciate Card for what he tries to do and his gutsy ways but he's simply not the QB to run this system. That's not on him though as Sark does him no favors which is frustrating. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Best rb in college football loses the game in overtime. Inexcusable. 

Team needs a lot more work to shake the lost mentality. Start the climb back up with Ewers next week. 

I'd have PK on a short leash after this one. His unit was terrible

Not using one of the best rbs in CFB during the 4th quarter is on Sark. Wearing out your own defense is ridiculous. Not going for it on 4th down and 3 late in Q4 in a close game when you need to break the other team’s momentum and when you have a great rb and a rested OL also raises concerns. What happened  to AGNB?

Edited by El Squared

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Even if it doesn’t work, we should have been pioneering the mega contract approach that now every other big name program is using to poach legit coaches.

We are too timid to swing our dick$ around because we’re afraid of the criticism, like that which we received when Horns With Heart was unveiled. Negative attention like that (totally undeserved BTW) goes away in 48 hours, but we are still ‘fraidy cats when it comes to bold moves involving money. 

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Gundy isn't a 40 year old man anymore. He has a decent shot at retiring from OSU and would have a really good chance of being fired from Texas. Also, he regularly shits the bed against ou.

Gundy has been trying to leave Oklahoma State for years and just lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the country to Ohio State. I definitely believe he would take the Texas job if offered. 

Yes, Gundy shits the bed against OU on occasion and yet he's still on track to produce his 8th double digit win season at Oklahoma State. Meanwhile, we have a bozo that's never won 10 games. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Shaka Smart never won an NCAA tournament game here despite having NBA players on every team he coached here. Chris Beard just won an NCAA tournament game in his first year with (most likely) zero NBA players and a roster that had to be almost exclusively filled with transfer portal players because of the dumpster fire Shaka left behind.

We will be fine when we hire a good football coach.   This isn’t complicated.  Nobody is even surprised about Sark’s performance.  The only surprising thing is we hired him in the first place.

This is the correct answer. Texas wins in every other sport because they hire good coaches. That's about to be true in men's basketball. Texas sucks in football because they've hired 3 coaches that are terrible. 

Herman-not coaching

Strong-linebacker coach on a bad Miami team

Sark-will be an OC somewhere after he fails at Texas

Our hires have been so bad nobody else even wants them as a head coach. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Who gives a shit about sports where most schools don’t even care enough to spend money to compete in?  I don’t.  Maybe 4 sports matter.  

This. Stanford always won the directors cup because they had 4 schools to compete with for the underwater women’s fencing national title and sports like that. That cup is a joke and still is even if we won it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Who gives a shit about sports where most schools don’t even care enough to spend money to compete in?  I don’t.  Maybe 4 sports matter.  

You can care about whatever sports you want but this is wrong. 

The only sport Texas competes in that doesn’t have wide support across the country is rowing. If you don’t think most schools are funding volleyball, tennis, track, soccer, softball…..I don’t know what to tell you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Bruh this 1 sport is a joke tho. Fuck our whole athletic department. BURN. IT. DOWN

I'll hold off to make that call for a bit longer than 13 games. Ewers is the real deal. Arch appears to be a stud-in-the-making. The only reason either of those two are Horns -- or plan to be Horns -- is Sarkisian. Yes, Saban could've pulled them. I'm not going to punt on the Sark regime after five quarters with the former #1 recruit in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Bruh this 1 sport is a joke tho. Fuck our whole athletic department. BURN. IT. DOWN

It's the wrong conclusion to begin with. All the other Texas sports win but Texas football doesn't. 

It shouldn't be "Burn It Down" it should be "Burn Down the Fucks Doing the Football Hiring Process." 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Football has been a mess for 10+ years. I can't argue that. The men's basketball team is in good hands with Beard. The baseball team just went to the College World Series. The golf team won the national championship a few months ago. The argument that the entire Texas sports program is a mess is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ll always watch every game no matter what, I’ll always attend the OU game, and I’ll always make at least 2-3 games in Austin every year even though I haven’t lived in Texas for a few years. Texas football will always be part of my DNA. 

I see the problems everyone else does, I get frustrated/mad as fuck like everyone else does, and thankfully I get over losses way quicker than I used to. However, there’s nothing that could make me not give a fuck, even though there’s a lot of days I wish that were the case….

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 4

I give a few fucks but only for old times sake. Not connected to the team, not because of the players who are fine and some very talented, but because Texas has such embarrassingly bad administrative “leaders” and big money influencers that cannot get it right,  essentially since DKR, when it comes to football.

It’s bizarre with all the so-called advantages that are supposed to predict success, we keep racing toward the middle or below.

Please don’t bring up FUPM because no Vince or no Colt he would have been in a nursing home 10 years ago. 

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Yeah, I've been pretty much out since 'Bama loss in NC game, and Mack demonstrated his honesty by reneging on his retirement and telling Muschamp that he wasn't lying because he had said he was planning to retire after that game, but now his plans had changed. Then followed that up with the worst season ever by a team in the NC game the preceding year. Then followed that up by dumping his best friend when Muschamp pushed things, but somehow convincing DeLoss Dodds and his merry band of big cigars to not hire Holgorsen because of his low moral character (divorced, living in a hotel, drinking, gambling, cavorting with younger women - even coeds) and picked Bryan Harsin as OC... oops, I mean co-oc with The Maje, whom Harsin carried around in a little saddle on his shoulders. 

Following that shit up with a couple more years of Fuck You Pay Me Brown, and then with Charlie Strong, who was - unbelievably worse - and then choosing MensaTom Herman, who turned out to be a drunk, a narcissist, and a low-level (although persistent) asshole... all amounting to nine more years of subpar performance.

And then, with Urban Meyer in our pocket, doing a 180 after saying they would deny him nothing, and denying him practically the only thing the Pope said was non-negotiable - a cutout assistant AD for football between HC and AD. Losing Meyer and settling on a west coast drunk, allegedly reformed, a damned fine OC but unproven HC. 

This last guy appears to have learned from Saban almost nothing except better recruiting, handling mediots and how to deal indirectly with admin and big cigars. He has no one on the Offense staff to lead that side of the game, preferring to call his own plays, which apparently include stuffing the O players into his own box or system regardless of their actual abilities. He seems to lean on his DC for everything on that side of the ball. You might think he would have a pretty good idea about defense, since he runs the side of the team that has to attack defenses, but it looks like you'd be wrong. He spends way too much time OC'ing instead of HC'ing, especially on Game Day.

As long as we are - at least I am, here - shitting on Sark, we've now seen and are continuing to see the HC/OC using a QB who is clearly injured and cannot execute the game plan. This is exactly what hapened last year. Casey Thompson played for weeks with a broken or sprained thumb, so we now see Hudson Card playing the entire game for 2 2/3 games with an obviously sprained ankle. Apparently, both for the same reason: because the HC is so afraid to put in the next guy up, that he leaves the injured QB on the field. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather see Murphy and/or Wright at least subbing in while Card tries to get some rest.

Here's something I was wondering about, before the Tech game. If Card aggravates the ankle injury and has to come off the field, who does Sarkisian play? A still-injured Ewers? Rojo? Maalik? Wright? I'm afraid the answer would be Ewers, which I think would be unbelievably stupid - anyone with any sense would leave Ewers as the last choice, not the first. And that sensible coach would actually use one or more of the sub-QBs in games. 

I'm likely to avoid the next three or four games altogether. Probably fooling myself, but it would be a whole lot more pleasant to say "Oh, lost again, did we?" or "Hey, pulled one out, did we?" than it will be to get angrier and angrier while I watch us apparently planlessly floundering around and losing.

Und ze beatings vill continue until ze morale iz more better.

I like this summary.  Mack did go back on his word with Will and of course we fans threw Will under the bus because he had the audacity to take the Florida job.  Where I may disagree with is why we lost out on Urban.  I think he just wanted a shot at the NFL and he didn't want to deal with the NIL>  Could we or another program get him now, well yes, but not sure I want to make a decision on that just yet.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas sucks in football because they've hired 3 coaches that are terrible. 

Herman-not coaching

Strong-linebacker coach on a bad Miami team

Sark-will be an OC somewhere after he fails at Texas

Our hires have been so bad nobody else even wants them as a head coach. 

Yep. Three straight bad hires.

I am a Longhorn lifer.  We were bad the entire time that I was a student on the 40 Acres (1984 thru 1988) and we were not so good during my daughter's time at UT (2010 thru 2014).

I have not read the previous posts aside from the one (@Ignatius) just above mine when I started to write this.  My thoughts are very similar to his.  I am sure that in the previous 5 pages there is a lot of well made arguments for and against.  Like many of you I question offensive playcalling at times as well as defensive strategy.  I wonder why the paid coaches cannot "see" what we are all seeing and witnessing on TV or in person at the game.  We all have the solutions so why cannot the professional coaches see this? That, I do not know.  Is it frustrating?  Yes.  After each disappointing loss I watch the scores scroll across the screen in hopes that it is all wrong and that we did win.

After the game last night I was exchanging text with my kids.  I wrote to them that I just want us to return to prominence again before aggy gets there for the first time in modern history. My biological clock is ticking!  My daughter assured me that I have at least another good 40 years of iife left.  So, according to her, I will live to at least 96 years old!

So, putting time and age in perspective I am sure that I will be dissappointed way more than I will be happy with Texas football.  But, I am a Longhorn fan through it all.  Win or lose.  I will continue to watch them each and every week in hopes that I will be watching the game where the Horns finally turn the corner and I will be along for a then glorious ride and will revel in every second of winning.

So until then I will continue to wear my Texas gear, watch the Horns, a cheer my Horns to victory.

I proud Longhorn.  Hookem.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gundy has been trying to leave Oklahoma State for years and just lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the country to Ohio State. I definitely believe he would take the Texas job if offered. 

Yes, Gundy shits the bed against OU on occasion and yet he's still on track to produce his 8th double digit win season at Oklahoma State. Meanwhile, we have a bozo that's never won 10 games. 

The Gundy shits the bed against OU thing is stupid.  He's doing it while using players that commit to...wait for it...Oklahoma State.

9 hours ago, Newy25 said:

The wife and I were talking about our plans for the weekend of the 8th since we have friends coming into town. She pointed out that we would miss the OU game. I shrugged. I simply cannot care anymore. I will not schedule any life events anymore around watching Texas football. I will just read the post game commentary about the loss. 

Right there with you.  It’s gone from a passion to a casual curiosity.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The Gundy shits the bed against OU thing is stupid.  He's doing it while using players that commit to...wait for it...Oklahoma State.

This is the profile I wish we would go after like @longhornmatt discussed earlier. 

*Double digit win seasons prior to Texas- Gundy 7 (maybe 8 after this year), Strong 2, Herman 1, Sark 0

*Double digit win seasons in a power conference prior to Texas-Gundy 7, Strong 0, Herman 0, Sark 0

Texas keeps getting predictable results because of terrible hires. You would think eventually that Texas would hire a coach that has real skins on the wall in a power conference.