#11 Texas vs #2 Gonzaga - 8:30pm on ESPN2: it's game day, assholes!

KingBobo81

Lol his marquee win with Texas?
Let me know when he wins a national title. Go fuck yourself with that complacent bullshit that has plagued us across a lot of sports for a long time now. 
Show us what it's really about, Beard. 
Go win that whole damn thing. 

Are you disgruntled taking the cocaine?

53 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Then there's this predictable idiot

I feel like if most people posted this, everyone would understand that they are just being silly and fake contrarian. It's pretty telling how constant his stream of idiocy really is that most people actually thought he was serious.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I feel like if most people posted this, everyone would understand that they are just being silly and fake contrarian. It's pretty telling how constant his stream of idiocy really is that most people actually thought he was serious.

Very few people on twitter speak sarcasm.  

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Then there's this predictable idiot

Don’t care to spend the brain power deciphering if this is sarcasm or not. I will say, I never stood in one line for beer last night. I was back to my seat in under 3 minutes every time I left for concessions - no hyperbole. I’ve seen some great games at the Erwin center, I’ve seen even more stinkers at that dump. The Moody Center is the best basketball venue I’ve ever been to. Stinker is not in that places vocabulary. It certainly helps that our team is a legit final four contender. Maybe I’m huffing the Kool-aid, but this season feels like it’s going to be special. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

Don’t care to spend the brain power deciphering if this is sarcasm or not. I will say, I never stood in one line for beer last night. I was back to my seat in under 3 minutes every time I left for concessions - no hyperbole. I’ve seen some great games at the Erwin center, I’ve seen even more stinkers at that dump. The Moody Center is the best basketball venue I’ve ever been to. Stinker is not in that places vocabulary. It certainly helps that our team is a legit final four contender. Maybe I’m huffing the Kool-aid, but this season feels like it’s going to be special. 

Were you in one of the main club areas? With half the arena having access to clubs, you're right, all the lines in the concourse areas are non-existent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Were you in one of the main club areas? With half the arena having access to clubs, you're right, all the lines in the concourse areas are non-existent.  

No, I was catty corner behind the Texas bench, about 30 rows up. Regular Joe seating. The self check out lines make a world of difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Cross posted from the Season thread if you're interested. From The Athletic.

Hide contents

1. Texas (3-0)

Texas at No. 1? Yep. And why not? Have you seen any team play as well against quality opposition this season as Texas did versus Gonzaga Wednesday night? The Longhorns were incredible: connected, physical, tough, totally locked in.

In other words, they were a lot of the things Chris Beard’s first Texas team was not a year ago. Texas was never bad last season. Quite the opposite: The Longhorns finished 22-12, 15th in adjusted efficiency, got a N0. 6 seed, won a tournament game. All in all, not a bad year for a first-year head coach who rebuilt huge swathes of his starting lineup with guys from the transfer portal who had never played a minute together.

It was a fine start. But it was also characterized by a certainty that something was always a little off. Texas lost twice to his former team, Texas Tech, a more developed project with a more cohesive style. After Jan. 4, the Longhorns won more than two games in a row just once. The offense was effective enough but not particularly pretty; it was often discordant and ragged. Texas never found a groove. Things were always just a little awkward.

It was striking how much this wasn’t the case Wednesday night. Maybe it helped that the Longhorns were opening their fancy, more intimately arranged new arena, all the better to build communion with their fans. But the basketball did that more than anything else, and man was the basketball great. Throwing sophomore Iowa State transfer Tyrese Hunter into the backcourt is a revelation; suddenly, Marcus Carr’s offensive life looks so much easier. Timmy Allen is still a uniquely capable hybrid player, but the roles around him (five-star prospect Dillon Mitchell, revitalized vet Dylan Disu, Christian Bishop coming off the bench) make more sense. Defensively, Texas is swarming, terrifying, a nightmare for a Gonzaga team without currently confident guards.

Most of all, though, this suddenly feels like a team where everyone is more at ease. That goes for Beard, who is settled in the job (and the new Moody Center) now, and likewise for his players, who have had more time together to congeal, to build a stylistic and cultural foundation. Texas has added elite pieces around them this offseason, including what — judging by Wednesday’s 26-point, 5-of-8 from 3 output anyway — might be one of the best guards in the country in Hunter. The Longhorns looked more complete offensively, and looked like the best defensive team in the country.

Texas, at least for one night, looked like the best team in the country — full stop.

pam-drown-a-toddler-in-my-panties.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, RabidM said:

Texas has outscored its first three opponents 55-3 on the fast break.

This is a crazy stat. It never made sense to me why we wouldn't push the ball last year when we were a very athletic squad that would often get bogged down in our half court offense, but this year we're even more athletic with better ball handlers and we are killing teams in transition.  The easy points were getting with our lock down defense is a lethal combo. I think the fast break points will go a long way towards making up for any shooting deficiencies we might have, and after last night's game, we might be a good bit better at shooting than expected. 

45 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Bobby sort of confirmed they won’t be opening the top part, and they shouldn’t. I’m not sure why people want that part opened. 

8CD0AD2B-BA98-4A04-9BC1-EC26FD6AF8B7.jpeg

If we ever get to a point where we're consistently in the top 5 and one or two national championships in our coffer I can see them opening it up for a big #1 vs #2 match-up against conference rivals Kentucky like 5 to 10 years from now.  

36 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

They should only open the upper deck if it is guaranteed to be filled.

No they shouldn’t. Then the noise part would get drowned out. 

How it is right now is fine and they should leave it alone. Just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's not that much revenue.  I don't know what those tix might sell for, maybe $20 on average?  That's maybe $2M in revenue over a season.  This athletic department laughs at $2M, and as others have said, the demand and atmosphere that is driven by the current setup probably negate that, anyway.

Steve Patterson ain't the AD any more.

Get the idea out of your heads.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No they shouldn’t. Then the noise part would get drowned out. 

How it is right now is fine and they should leave it alone. Just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

I'm going to say that both Beard and Vic would be adamantly opposed to such a thing anyhow.  Their whole thing was creating a specific type of environment with Moody.  And we saw it last night.  THAT is what they wanted.

Popping in to say I’m glad I’m a texas basketball fan. That was a lot of fun. Much more fun than watching the football team anytime during the last 12 years or so (except, perhaps, for that glorious october day in Dallas just over a month ago).

In an earlier thread I made a comment about being very concerned with this teams ability to go up against teams with talented bigs. That concern no longer remains. This team looks special.

• Hook 'Em 1