2023 Goodyear Cotton Bowl - Tulane vs. USC

satyanash

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

There’s gotta be a stat muse out there on running out of shotgun out of your own end zone that doesn’t end up as a safety.

Reilly ran it twice in a row out of shotgun. The first time he was barely successful at not getting a safety, so he did the same thing again with a heisman winning QB. Inexcusable. If you’re going to run, line up under center and give your RB a chance with a running head start.

Or give your heisman winning qb a chance to make a play with his arm with an easy completion it Tulane thinks you’re going to run

Looked to me like the first run was a straight dive with no delay.  The second one looked like a zone read.  With the slight hesitation involved with the zr it was deadly, allowing Tulane time to penetrate and make the play.

Great game.  Reminded me of some of our losses to “lesser” teams lately.  Can’t put them away, let them hang around and late in the game you step on your dick and they make you pay for it while they execute well.

That fucking 2nd and 23 play late in the game where they got back a huge chunk on a fucking draw play was pretty ballsy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m sure he’s going to love taking a bunch of SoCal dudes to places like Madison, Ann Arbor and Columbus in November.

He won't be.  Next year with Caleb on a farewell tour of the PAC, then both will be off to the NFL.  He will provide cover for Grinch for one more year, then leave him to fend for himself.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

Shitastic ending to the season, but not unexpected considering the defense that we had last year. Swiss cheese had less holes in it.

I’m wondering if the college game has reached the point where scoring 40-some points isn’t enough anymore? I realize I’m old, but considering the way the game has slanted towards offense exclusively given the hurry-up offense, blatant holding on every play, penalizing the defense for hands to the face, yet offensive players can “stiff arm” to the face, etc..

Looking at some of the games this weekend, 40 points would have been a losing effort. Maybe the best we can hope for is a random stop every half and try to outscore the opponent?

Anyways, good luck next year, fuck aggy, ou sucks

I know you are hurting right now and your pain feels familiar. I recommend you start a “this is who Lincoln Riley is “ thread on your bulletin board. I’m not sure how I came up with this idea , but reading it will provide a painful dose of reality and ultimately therapeutic In arriving at the acceptance stage! Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

LA Times USC beat reporter:

Grinch and the S&C guy came over from OU and they're the exact same as they were then combined with below average recruiting on that side of the ball.  LR knew that when he brought them over.  Why get rid of them now?

• Hook 'Em 2

Played out as a rerun of the Tulane - OU game in Sep 2021 until the last Tulane drive (Green Wave turned it over on downs at midfield).

Riley kept Mike Stoops after the defensive meltdown in the CFP semi-final Rose Bowl game so we'll see what he does here with Grinch. Stoops was a competent strategist but had terrible people skills so he didn't recruit well or communicate with players. Grinch seems to be well-liked by his players, but his under-performing units with obvious developmental failures make it hard for him to recruit to talent. His strategies make people who know defensive football cringe.

The defensive staff has at least one good coach, Shaun Nua. He has produced as a recruiter and developer. The rest of the staff is expendable.

Screenshot 2023-01-02 204719.jpg

I feeel like I’ve seen that look of shocked anguish before from SC fans.  Like they can’t believe what they just saw….it was too horrific to be true, yet it happened.  It’s been a few year but I feel like I remember it from somewhere…..

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I’m not trying to be shitty or sarcastic when I say that if I’d been asked the trivia question of “which head coach has relinquished the most leads of 14 or more points since 2017?”, the only thing that would have given me pause to immediately saying “Steve Sarkisian “ would be the 2017 hook. Crazy stat anyway. 

I’m overseas and sorry I missed this one. Sounds like the same old Lincoln Riley shit. Great offense with a wide talent and coaching disparity compared to the defense. He’s Super John Mackovic and I doubt that ever changes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not trying to be shitty or sarcastic when I say that if I’d been asked the trivia question of “which head coach has relinquished the most leads of 14 or more points since 2017?”, the only thing that would have given me pause to immediately saying “Steve Sarkisian “ would be the 2017 hook. Crazy stat anyway. 

I’m overseas and sorry I missed this one. Sounds like the same old Lincoln Riley shit. Great offense with a wide talent and coaching disparity compared to the defense. He’s Super John Mackovic and I doubt that ever changes. 

Game has been uploaded to YouTube. Enjoy the second half collapse and Tulane victory. 

10 hours ago, Bobby Layne said:

Painted nails by a millionaire Heisman trophy winner reveals insecurity, immaturity and (this is clinical terminology) dumbassness. Once a sooner always …. 

The insecurity of Baker and the immaturity of Kyler all rolled into 1 person with a little more talent... That's how we got this level of bitchassedness from this punk

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Zeus said:

Easiest bet ever

Fuck Lincoln Riley, but they gonna destroy these guys

My jinx game is pretty strong I guess

Yes I'm out a steak dinner, but knowing Lincoln has to sit all off-season with a loss to Tulane is priceless

• Haha 2

Gotta say that this one is likely to hit my Top III Bowls of the year, along with at least one TCU game, so far.

It's like Riley's brain is wired to a transformer run by an 11-year old who thinks he's got a Lionel train set and just twists the power switch back and forth, trying to perfect his ability to make locomotive jump off the tracks.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Knewk210 said:

I know you are hurting right now and your pain feels familiar. I recommend you start a “this is who Lincoln Riley is “ thread on your bulletin board. I’m not sure how I came up with this idea , but reading it will provide a painful dose of reality and ultimately therapeutic In arriving at the acceptance stage! Good luck.

I’m sure they’ve begun the wailing and gnashing of teeth over there, I avoid those boards at all costs. There’s a very real chance that this is his ceiling. Since he’s only had 1 HC gig for a short tenure, I personally can’t establish a pattern… yet.

I can say there is a very clear trend that “Air Raid” teams only pay a passing nod to defense. That’s the dirty un-sexy part of the game…as long as we can score 60 we can win. So we’ll see if that continues. Like I said earlier, the days of shut down defenses may be long gone for most teams. The ones that do field a tough physical defense will win championships.

Edited by USC_TMB
Fat-fingered
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

in case he takes it down:

LenDale White

@thereal_lendale

·

Follow

Our defense and whoever’s a part of it is a fucking joke

3:56 PM · Jan 2, 2023

While not wrong, who’s dumb ass couldn’t get the 1 yard on 4th down in the Rose Bowl Lendale?

Trying to keep himself relevant lately, must have run out of weed money.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sounds like the same old Lincoln Riley shit. Great offense with a wide talent and coaching disparity compared to the defense. He’s Super John Mackovic and I doubt that ever changes. 

Exactly who I thought of.

The D coordinator doesn't really matter. I think Riley is the problem. Also, Riley (like Sarkisian) running the offense means he can't focus on the big picture of the game. It shows.

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Exactly who I thought of.

The D coordinator doesn't really matter. I think Riley is the problem. Also, Riley (like Sarkisian) running the offense means he can't focus on the big picture of the game. It shows.

As long as the S&C sucks, it really doesn't matter who the DC is.  This year's USC team is significantly below average and his OU teams got progressively worse each year.

• Hook 'Em 2