the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

The world in general has evolved and gotten more progressive. The catholic church is considering blessing same sex unions. Meanwhile the Republican Party has veered insanely far to the right with what little policy they have left. Abortion, Guns, Immigration are plain as day radically more extreme right.
They aren't fiscally conservative except to cut taxes to the wealthy.
They don't want to even govern, thier whole ethos is burn it down and be dicks while we so. That's bad enough.

most of the current republican party positions are based on assumptions they can campaign, fundraise, and win elections off them.  they believe in nothing. 

16 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

We got woke from Bud Light marketing.

I Voted for W. He was pretty bipartisan as governor and moderate on many issues included in his campaign speeches. In practice? Nope, Chuck Testa. Then he got us in a fucked up war, spent money like crazy, and fucked the economy.

The world in general has evolved and gotten more progressive. The catholic church is considering blessing same sex unions. Meanwhile the Republican Party has veered insanely far to the right with what little policy they have left. Abortion, Guns, Immigration are plain as day radically more extreme right.
They aren't fiscally conservative except to cut taxes to the wealthy.
They don't want to even govern, thier whole ethos is burn it down and be dicks while we so. That's bad enough.

Then they became a Cult to one of the most odious human beings ever.
They love to say Trump Derangement Syndrome. Well when Potos 45 and Maybe 47 displays all the behavior of a literal antichrist; maybe people freak out a little. I mean rapes and coups, big deal- "TDS!!!"

There seem to be more of those folks now than there was then, but CR seems to have moved the other way.

Seems like the right doesn't want to go all the way right. 

It's interesting. I'm wondering what will happen if the Left just goes crazy left. I wonder what the swing back to the right will look like. I wonder if the middle finally takes over.

There seem to be more of those folks now than there was then, but CR seems to have moved the other way.
It's interesting. I'm wondering what will happen if the Left just goes crazy left. I wonder what the swing back to the right will look like. I wonder if the middle finally takes over.

Compared to most modern Democracies our "left" if you mean democrats, is moderate to conservative.

You shouldn't have to be wealthy to have healthcare.

I'd kind of like to be less like Russia rather than more like them.

We should have continued the assault weapons ban; and in today's culture of gun worship that's even more clearly the right choice.

We let a small insane and cruel majority rule our politics and control the Republican Party. I'm not sure many former GOP members want to align with that even anonymously.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Slacks said:

i would love some examples of what this looks like.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Qanon Shaman just threw his hat in the ring...and I can't believe I actually agree with his platform.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

CDN media 

That platform would unite congress like never before for 2-5.

also, did any dems vote for McCarthy at any point the first dozen times a vote was taken before he was elected?  Why should they flip their vote now?  Don’t like it, don’t trigger another vote. 

16 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Compared to most modern Democracies our "left" if you mean democrats, is moderate to conservative.

You shouldn't have to be wealthy to have healthcare.

I'd kind of like to be less like Russia rather than more like them.

We should have continued the assault weapons ban; and in today's culture of gun worship that's even more clearly the right choice.

We let a small insane and cruel majority rule our politics and control the Republican Party. I'm not sure many former GOP members want to align with that even anonymously.

All true. And as i have said d before old folks should not have to take out a loan to pay for critical dental work.

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm 53 years old, I've never supported a Republican in my life because I knew the GOP was all about pain, cruelty, and exclusion. I remember what Reagan did during the Iranian hostage crisis and how Carter's critics vilified him. I remember the cruelty Reagan tapped into with his handling of the AIDS crisis and his blatant racism directed at the "welfare state" just as I remember the disgusting Willie Horton ads the dirty motherfucking racists in your old party threw at Dukakis, and I damn sure remember the lies and bullshit W spewed as governor and the Swift Boating of honorable men like John Kerry and Max Cleland.

I'm glad you're here now, but really....how did you not see this all along? The GOP has ALWAYS been a destructive force that exists only to villainize those of us to their political left in the name of tax cuts for them and their wealthy donors.

NEVER VOTE REPUBLICAN. EVER.

You are a better man/woman than me. I am very close in age and took a bit longer to fully realize the Republican farce. Fuck me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Walser said:

You are a better man/woman than me. I am very close in age and took a bit longer to fully realize the Republican farce. Fuck me.

I guess I am really not because it's very, very hard for me to be magnanimous about being right when it comes to politics and the GOP. I've despised Ronald Reagan and the Christofascist hellscape his popularity unleashed for all my adult life and the apotheosis of the huge decades-long political project that started with ol Ronnie Raygun and the John Birchers was the election of Donald Trump and the right-wing extremist takeover of the judiciary. Now we live in a world where I have to fear for the safety of my child at school and fear my wife getting pregnant because her bodily autonomy has been stolen by the forces of right-wing extremism. 

These Gen Z kids give me hope. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm glad you're here now, but really....how did you not see this all along? The GOP has ALWAYS been a destructive force that exists only to villainize those of us to their political left in the name of tax cuts for them and their wealthy donors.

20 minutes ago, Walser said:

As somebody close to your age as well, it was extremely easy to fall into that trap when you grow up in the 70s and start becoming politically aware in the 80s, and you think Ronnie Raygun was the quintessential President, followed by George H W Bush and the Gulf War, and then followed by 8 years of Clinton and AM talk radio trashing the shit out of him.  Very easy to fall into that trap - I'm not making excuses - a peek behind the curtains would have shown the wizard was wearing no clothes or was truly evil or something, but I'm just saying that a lot of us here were exposed to that/came up within that environment.

For me, it was the hard-on for Iraq that Bush and Co. had in 2003.  I could ignore a lot prior to that, and I did, but all of the sudden my friends and people I had served with were not fighting The Good Fight in Afghanistan trying to get bin Laden and prevent another 9/11, but instead going to war with Saddam...for reasons.

Edit: I can say this much: The GOP I grew up with/came of age with was not publicly full of hate and batshittery that the current GQP is.  The loonies were kept out of site.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I'm 53 years old, I've never supported a Republican in my life because I knew the GOP was all about pain, cruelty, and exclusion. I remember what Reagan did during the Iranian hostage crisis and how Carter's critics vilified him. I remember the cruelty Reagan tapped into with his handling of the AIDS crisis and his blatant racism directed at the "welfare state" just as I remember the disgusting Willie Horton ads the dirty motherfucking racists in your old party threw at Dukakis, and I damn sure remember the lies and bullshit W spewed as governor and the Swift Boating of honorable men like John Kerry and Max Cleland.
I grew up in Texas during a time when right wing radio broke my father and it took me getting out in the world and growing up to see the truth?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

I grew up in Texas during a time when right wing radio broke my father and it took me getting out in the world and growing up to see the truth?

Same. Fuck Rush Limbaugh. I mean, fuck the old man for trading his good sense in on misplaced hate, but goddamn the pusher too.

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I respect that and apologize for being too harshly judgmental. 

I have plenty of extended family who had their brains broken by Limbaugh and Fox News.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

I’m 52 and I that was my exact perspective growing up

Fuck Ronald Reagan

An evil man in my eyes

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m 52 and I that was my exact perspective growing up
Fuck Ronald Reagan
An evil man in my eyes
A lot of old voters would place Jimmy Carter as worst president ever. The mainstream media, as much as they are disabused as being left leaning are at best centrist and terrible at messaging. All I've ever learned was Carter sucked and Reagan was God. My whole life with little factual support on policy.

Carter has multiple decades of proof he doesn't suck, and the Reagan Legacy just gets worse every year. His own party bailed on him for more fecal waters.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

reagan was an actor first, his greatest role was playing POTUS 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i would love some examples of what this looks like.

He’s not being serious. 

2 hours ago, Walser said:

Same here. Turning 51 next month.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Jesus, man. I really hope you're not this dense. 

The Republican Party has veered hard right. The people you're referring to haven't moved anywhere. The parties moved. I only voted for Democrats in local elections until the last few. My views haven't changed. I still believe in actual conservative ideals (small government) but I'm actually logically consistent in that. Small government also means stay the fuck out of my bedroom and how I rear my children. Also, and this is the key part that the troglodytic Republican base doesn't get, that means stay the fuck out of other people's bedrooms and parenting, too. And since the Republican Party has never actually been fiscally responsible and it's only gotten worse, there is now no reason not to vote for Democrats. At least they work to protect social liberties.

Also, to be clear I very rarely voted for Republicans in federal elections either, but now any sane person who actually believes in liberty as more than a bumper sticker has to vote directly against them. I always saw through the bullshit they spewed about fiscal responsibility. 

Bad actor who has escaped from DT.

4 hours ago, Slacks said:

What changed? 

two things

1. Intellectual conservative thinking, for the most part, was proven wrong as scientific thought increased, various social experiments elsewhere proved to work, and several conservative experiments domestically failed.

2. The few areas where conservative intellectual thought proved right were adopted by the Democrats, starting with Clinton.

This would all be fine if the GOP has adopted some of the more sensible ideas of the new center, allowing folks like the Squad to drag the Democrats into a radical direction. But that's not what happened. Instead, the party was taken over by a personality cult of one con man, and is entirely held hostage by him.

There's a bunch of reasons why the GOP was uniquely suited for such a takeover, both what kind of person took it over and how he was able to do it. And then you have the aristocratic ways of the Democrats which insulated it from the "how" (see also, why Trump switched parties) but also have Trump the opening he needed to actually win (by more or less coronating Hillary despite her unpopularity).

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Is there another group in the US less willing to accept responsibility for their own actions than Republicans?

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

toddlers 

3 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

aggy?

my daughter

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

a lot of coming-to-jesus moments on this thread.

but not actual jesus, because organized religion is part of the reason we're in this mess.

Speaking of coming-to-jesus moments, we have official confirmation from Trump that he’s bigger than god so Jesus actually comes to him, not the other way around.

IMG_2540.thumb.jpeg.bf00986e0b548f333dd9746481e59f96.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Edit: I can say this much: The GOP I grew up with/came of age with was not publicly full of hate and batshittery that the current GQP is.  The loonies were kept out of site.

They were always there my brother, but there weren’t as many, and there was less reason to see them if you weren’t looking closely. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

1. Intellectual conservative thinking, for the most part, was proven wrong as scientific thought increased, various social experiments elsewhere proved to work, and several conservative experiments domestically failed.

This is really the long and short of it. Anyone who believes in empiricism will follow where it leads. Most of my views haven't really changed, but my thought on how best to achieve the goals has as the data has borne out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Petty Kevin wants Nancy’s office. Seems only fair since it was the Democrats’ fault he was removed from as Speaker, not his and his fellow shitty Republicans’.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/03/politics/pelosi-vacate-office-capitol-mchenry-interim-speaker/index.html

Kevin McCarthy was behind interim Speaker Patrick McHenry’s move to kick former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former Majority Leader Steny Hoyer out of their office spaces, two Republican sources told CNN. 

GOP Rep. Garret Graves told reporters on Wednesday that McCarthy is getting the office that McHenry has ordered her to vacate. 

“Look the deal is that the office that Pelosi is in right now is the office of the preceding speaker. Speaker Pelosi and other Democrats determined that they wanted a new … speaker, and it’s Kevin McCarthy. So, he’s getting the office,” he said.

Sources close to Pelosi and Hoyer say it was retaliation for Democrats siding against McCarthy in voting to vacate the speaker’s chair Tuesday. The unofficial offices are located near the House floor.

McCarthy and McHenry’s did not respond to requests for comment.

Graves then put the blame on Democrats for voting McCarthy out of office. 

“I don’t know what they’re complaining about,” Graves said. “They created this situation.”

8 hours ago, Born to Run said:

... All I've ever learned was Carter sucked and Reagan was God. My whole life with little factual support on policy.

A lot of people judge a President by how the economy fared during their tenure even though Presidents have very little to do with it.  Carter's term coincided with the fallout from Bretton Woods.  It was an economic situation decades in the making.  The great economic malaise sucked ass and few peeps were happy living through it.   On foreign policy - where Presidents actually have influence - Carter tried to liberalize the USA's influence (emphasizing human rights and such) and made some progress until the Iranian hostage crisis near the end of his term.  That was his undoing as Reagan talked tough and Iran actually feared him.

Reagan was the beneficiary of the Volker shock which ended the inflation and economic malaise that dominated the 70s.  He was also really good at delivering speeches.  He was charismatic and life was good while he presided.  The wall also came down shortly after his tenure in part due to the deficit spending on the military that the Soviets couldn't match. 

They both did some good things, but the legacy of their actual accomplishments is largely overshadowed by the economic conditions that prevailed during their tenures.  Conditions that were created/governed by monetary policy (ie. the Federal Reserve) more than their fiscal policies.

Edited by bernorange
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1