the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I served with Jim Jordan. He & I were friends. He shouldn’t be Speaker. He’s a divider. Always has been. And for those who say Jim Jordan has changed, really? Less than 3 yrs ago, he was helping Trump try to overthrow an American election, and less than 2 yrs ago, he was defying a subpoena. He hasn’t changed.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952b8agm97lrbcp1vvgjc

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ann Wagner flipped to yes. The pressure campaign worked and the moderates are going to get decimated having to defend Speaker Jordan in 2024

because Jordan is caving to their demands. if he follows through MAGA will stab him in the back.

rinse and repeat.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

because Jordan is caving to their demands. if he follows through MAGA will stab him in the back.

rinse and repeat.

I’m confident he will not follow whatever demand the hold outs had and they’ll just shrug their shoulders and move on like the hacks they are 

• Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m confident he will not follow whatever demand the hold outs had and they’ll just shrug their shoulders and move on like the hacks they are 

Certainly precedent for that but I think the GOP knows that they can't have another debacle and that Jordan HAS to win this or else it's going to get ugly. So they are doing whatever it takes to get everyone on board before everything collapses. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan took the gavel, dipped it in gas, and set it on fire and said "NOW WE BURN IT ALL DOWN!"

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is my understanding.  No?

Yeah I'm not sure if these are the key ones or if people are just fishing for clicks. 

If they are key ones then those will need to convince the other holdouts. 

They are cowards but Jordan is freaking loathed. 

34 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Aren't there dozens more they'd have to flip? ...

From yesterday morning:

One senior Republican House member who is part of the opposition to Jordan told CNN that there he believes there are roughly 40 “no” votes, and that he has personally spoken to 20 members who are willing to go to the floor and block Jordan’s path if the Ohio Republican forces a roll-call vote on Tuesday.

https://news.yahoo.com/senior-house-republican-says-gop-155414177.html

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep in mind those opposed to Jordan from heavily red districts will be most likely to cave to MAGA intimidation. It's down to about 15 GOP reps from "swing" or Biden districts to hold the line if they don't want Jordan. They literally have nothing to gain by supporting him and everything to lose if they do. 

Wagner's district is likely just "red enough" that she couldn't take the chance. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Yeah I'm not sure if these are the key ones or if people are just fishing for clicks. 

If they are key ones then those will need to convince the other holdouts. 

They are cowards but Jordan is freaking loathed. 

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

The word appears to be they are going to the floor come hell or high water and hope to shame the holdouts into supporting Jordan. 

Yeah, if they support Jordan, they know he will fuck around and cost them their seats next year in the general election.  He and his allies can threaten them with being primaried, but Jordan and his allies can't help them win re-election in the general.

Jordan only cares about the next few months.  They care about the coming years.

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Republicans saying Republicans are The Swamp.

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I served with Jim Jordan. He & I were friends. He shouldn’t be Speaker. He’s a divider. Always has been. And for those who say Jim Jordan has changed, really? Less than 3 yrs ago, he was helping Trump try to overthrow an American election, and less than 2 yrs ago, he was defying a subpoena. He hasn’t changed.

To be reminded of what we're up against, here are the first several replies to the above?

image.png.434af0b7f3749071b317b9b69f6e7a63.png

image.png.a66558798e48183b67a7a1a5c5e3a6a4.png

image.png.dfa9f7b5c2a6065871ac32cf4f5c724c.png

And, of course:

image.png.edc41c46e191afa497de9cc0aa42d588.png

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He's going to get it, better to just accept it now.  

(And spoiler, like 25% of the population can even name the Speaker of the House.  There will be no real effect on 2024 that wasn't already baked in.)

Unfortunately this is correct.  Gym wil win, shut down the government, default on the debt and crash the economy,cut off funding to Ukraine, then blame Biden for all of it.

IMG_4047.gif.5ebc839f7262bfc4ea4e9c12c2125759.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I think their plan is to take a big shit, shut the gov down, defund stuff and get the dems to cave on majority of issues to open the gov etc. When it goes to shit, blame Biden/Dems and repeat it.

It will probably work with the American ppl… 

• Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

I think their plan is to take a big shit, shut the gov down, defund stuff and get the dems to cave on majority of issues to open the gov etc. When it goes to shit, blame Biden/Dems and repeat it.

It will probably work with the American ppl… 

Ultimately, we will deserve it.  Elect clowns, get a circus.  And maybe lose the republic.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ultimately, we will deserve it.  Elect clowns, get a circus.  And maybe lose the republic.

The frustrating thing is the clowns only get elected thanks to the outrageous gerrymandering and undemocratic shit the right has been doing for decades

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

44 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The frustrating thing is the clowns only get elected thanks to the outrageous gerrymandering and undemocratic shit the right has been doing for decades

By the same token, a decent chunk of Republican Reps know they are finished if Jordan becomes Speaker and tries to fuck the government up even more.

Like I said, self-entitled assholes don't like other self-entitled assholes telling them what to do, with one caveat being if it benefits them, and this doesn't - it guarantees the end of their careers.  None of those Republicans want to be voted out next year.  MAGA might/will come for them in the primary, but the general election is the problem for them.

53 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Their talking point of blaming this on Biden is not working lol

Yep, because the Republicans are out here saying they are going to shut things down, and are admitting publicly that they are the reason for everything happening, to the point of claiming other Republicans in the House are The Deep State.

This is how weak their leadership is - none of them have been able to stick to a coherent message, and even Gym is putting out conflicting information versus what others are hearing/saying.