Canada is legalizing pot

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Went to BC two years ago and there was a weed shop on every corner. I thought it was legal already.

Was gonna say the same thing. Maybe it was just decriminalized or BC was ahead of the curve.  

26 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Houston and Dallas are cite and release as well.

Even the Texas GOP is getting on board.

The Republican Party of Texas will now support the decriminalization of marijuana and use of medical marijuana.

More than 8,000 Delegates representing the party voted to add a number of marijuana-related tenets to their official platform at their San Antonio party convention Saturday. In addition to decriminalization, the party voted to call for marijuana to be rescheduled to a lower class of drug federally and for the legalization of industrial hemp. Each measure passed with more than 80 percent of delegate votes.

"We support a change in the law to make it a civil, and not a criminal, offense for legal adults only to possess one ounce or less of marijuana for personal use, punishable by a fine of up to $100, but without jail time," read one of the party’s new planks.

http://www.newsweek.com/texas-republicans-marijuana-legalization-weed-pot-982324

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Texas will get on board once all the dum dums are shown how much money can be made

The Democrats should start a ballot initiative for 2020 for every state that has not already legalized, including Texas.

27 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I think the problem is that big alcohol is likely to be the most impacted and they are against it.

true,Probably true, but big tobacco's market share is shrinking and they need something new to add to their portfolio. I bet they are going to push hard once they get behind it.

13 hours ago, Yarbr said:

I'm guessing big tabocco gets in to it soon.

Definitely.  The strange thing about this state by state legalization effort that is occurring right now while still illegal on a federal level is that everything has to be done in cash.  It seems to be creating a system where those with access to large sums of cash who do not need bank help (including big tobacco) are at a huge competitive advantage in the new market.    

14 hours ago, Yarbr said:

I'm guessing big tabocco gets in to it soon.

Also big alcohol will be damaged by this. Hard to say if that's a good or bad thing. It will defiantly be a bad thing if the cigarette goons use their money and influence to somehow fuck up weed and force a shit ton of additives and rat poisons in the "legal" dope.

3 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Also big alcohol will be damaged by this. Hard to say if that's a good or bad thing. It will defiantly be a bad thing if the cigarette goons use their money and influence to somehow fuck up weed and force a shit ton of additives and rat poisons in the "legal" dope.

This is exactly what's going to happen. I'm pro-legalization, but let's all stop pretending that corporate interests aren't going to figure out a way to fuck it up once it actually happens. They'll probably "compromise" and leave it illegal to grow your own or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

This is exactly what's going to happen. I'm pro-legalization, but let's all stop pretending that corporate interests aren't going to figure out a way to fuck it up once it actually happens. They'll probably "compromise" and leave it illegal to grow your own or something.

And give you some GM seeds you have to buy yearly with your permit, license, registration, forms, taxes, regulatory fees, ect...

Also big pharma will get in there some way to compensate for people self-medicating with weeds instead of buying their drugs.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

It's already getting fucked up.

SWIM was in Vegas a while ba...

Wait, it was me. I can say whatever I want on the Internet about it, because it was legal there.

Anyhow, my wife and I went to Vegas and went into one of the cannabis dispensaries (they don't sell "marijuana" or "weed," it's "cannabis").

The focus of the shop -- as others, going by their websites -- was edibles, oils, vapor cartridges, and shatter. Not even good ol' hash like you'd find in Amsterdam back in the day.

Sure, there was flower bud, but it was clear that the new generation is into whatever gets them highest the hardest and fastest. Which is edibles, oils, vapor cartridges, and shatter.

It is obvious why the dispensaries were pushing these products -- they give a quick, heavy high, and they have a higher profit margin. You can more easily manipulate the CBD and THC content with a solution than you can with the plant itself. They are also more easily transported and the high/shelf space ratio is much higher.

Back in the day, my image of future legalization -- probably happening sometime in my 60s, maybe, if I was lucky -- was just straight-up striking marijuana laws from the books and allowing people to grow and smoke for personal use. Let the hippies do their thing, and whatever, man.

But capitalism always gets in the way of good hippie ideas, and the profit motive is king with the wave of legalization. Businesses -- I believe Colorado is only permitting local companies to participate for now -- are always going to find the most cost-effective means of getting their customers hiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhh AF. And the government is going to let them keep doing it so long as they get their taxes. Once the reins are off, and Altria, Reynolds, AB InBev, etc., get their hands in it, it's all over. Kids are going to zoning out on dabs and -- worst of all -- no one is going to know how to roll a joint anymore.