I am Maximus Decimus Meridius...

Parliament

...commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. 

Best movie of the late 90's/early 00's.  Fight me.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Probably one of the last movies I went to with my maternal grandfather. I was in high school at the time and really into weights and nutrition. I remember debating him on whether Crowe had used PED’s. My grandfather was a physician, and he convinced that he was using at least HGH if not steroids. I’m a dumb ass 14 year old and I argued that it was all natural. 

Great movie. We both enjoyed it. Crowe is one of the greats when he’s on his game. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

...commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. 

Best movie of the late 90's/early 00's.  Fight me.  

I’ll fight you for narrowing it to late 90s/early 00s. Just say ever. 

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

7383ca89-fbec-4ff8-a8cf-7e3b8c191486_tex

https://collider.com/gladiator-2-release-date-cast-filming/

It was greenlit in 2018 by Paramount, and script work started, etc., but then covid hit, and also Ridley Scott was working on his Napoleon Bonaparte movie with Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon, which finished filming and is in post-production.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/ridley-scott-house-of-gucci-lady-gaga-adam-driver-the-last-duel-oscar-season-1234872529/

Ridley Scott talking about it in late 2021

Oh, it’s been written. It’s already been written. We have a good footprint, a good, logical place to go. You can’t just do another Gladiator type movie. You’ve got to follow…there’s enough components from the first one to pick up the ball and continue it.

Details:

• Lead actor: Paul Mescal, his character is Lucius Versus, the son of Lucilla (Connie Nielsen) and nephew of Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus.
  • Setting: Picking up many years (20-25) after the first film and will follow the story of Lucius as a grown man.
  • Script is completed.  First draft was in November of 2021.  David Scarpa was brought in and finished the script (he wrote Scott's Napoleon movie).
  • Filming starts next month (it was supposed to be filming now, but Paramount/Scott let the star have a few more weeks for a play he's in).
  • Tentative release date of November, 2024

48 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Joaquin Phoenix deserved an Oscar also. He was so good in that role.

From one of the links I mentioned above about the start of Gladiator II's production

https://deadline.com/2021/11/ridley-scott-house-of-gucci-lady-gaga-adam-driver-the-last-duel-oscar-season-1234872529/

Ridley Scott talking about him:

I always got amazed that people thought that Joaquin Phoenix was an evil man in Gladiator, because he killed Russell [Crowe] at the end. They forgot the scene which was maybe the best in the entire movie, where his father said you will not be Prince of Rome. And he gives him a beautiful speech and scene, saying, which older, wiser man will take my place? It’s crushing. Don’t forget those scenes, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was greenlit in 2018 by Paramount, and script work started, etc., but then covid hit, and also Ridley Scott was working on his Napoleon Bonaparte movie with Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon, which finished filming and is in post-production.

Details:

• Lead actor: Paul Mescal, his character is Lucius Versus, the son of Lucilla (Connie Nielsen) and nephew of Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus.
  • Setting: Picking up many years (20-25) after the first film and will follow the story of Lucius as a grown man.
  • Script is completed.  First draft was in November of 2021.  David Scarpa was brought in and finished the script (he wrote Scott's Napoleon movie).
  • Filming starts next month (it was supposed to be filming now, but Paramount/Scott let the star have a few more weeks for a play he's in).

I had no clue.  Now, I have a massive entertainment boner. Tell me Nielsen is in it and still is a babe. 

1 hour ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Joaquin Phoenix deserved an Oscar also. He was so good in that role.

image.gif

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I had no clue.  Now, I have a massive entertainment boner. Tell me Nielsen is in it and still is a babe. 

image.gif

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

From one of the links I mentioned above about the start of Gladiator II's production

Ridley Scott talking about him:

It vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Some of the dialogue is terrible, but good movie overall. Some historical relevance but otherwise complete fiction, which is fine. I thoroughly enjoy this movie. Not sure a sequel is worthwhile or can possibly match the original, especially following a completely different character, but I'll definitely watch.

"At my signal, unleash Hell."

I had just moved to Newport Beach, got my house all set up, had a large master in a shoebox house so had my big screen snd surround sound in my bedroom.

Got the DVD, turned in on and when he says “unleash hell” The arrows sounded like they were flying by my head, so cool and CSB.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/26/2023 at 11:40 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Probably one of the last movies I went to with my maternal grandfather. I was in high school at the time and really into weights and nutrition. I remember debating him on whether Crowe had used PED’s. My grandfather was a physician, and he convinced that he was using at least HGH if not steroids. I’m a dumb ass 14 year old and I argued that it was all natural. 

Great movie. We both enjoyed it. Crowe is one of the greats when he’s on his game. 

I gotta say, he didn’t look that big. 

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Details:

And this is far more tame than the original idea for a sequel that was written shortly after the original premiered 20+ years ago. There’s an actual script written by Nick Cave called Christ Killer (or something like that) with a plot of Maximus being resurrected and fighting battles throughout time. First, in antiquity, then continuing through time and culminating with a battle in WW2 vs Hitler, then Vietnam and finally ending up in the Pentagon. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180810-gladiator-2-was-written-and-its-mad

28 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

And this is far more tame than the original idea for a sequel that was written shortly after the original premiered 20+ years ago. There’s an actual script written by Nick Cave called Christ Killer (or something like that) with a plot of Maximus being resurrected and fighting battles throughout time. First, in antiquity, then continuing through time and culminating with a battle in WW2 vs Hitler, then Vietnam and finally ending up in the Pentagon. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180810-gladiator-2-was-written-and-its-mad

Never been a huge fan of documentaries.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

That fucking script - all that guy did was read the Heroes in Hell series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_in_Hell

The shared world premise of Heroes in Hell (also called The Damned Saga) is that all the dead wind up together in Hell, where they pick up where they left off when still alive.  Romans fighting with M-16s against Viet Cong or whoever, driving around in jeeps and tanks, etc.

s-l500.jpg

Legions in Hell had an awesome back cover - a Roman soldier, an American soldier circa 1980s with an M-16 carbine-sorta, and some blonde (may have been Cleopatra or Hatshepsut in a wig), and all three are riding around in a Ferrari. I think the Roman is a young Brutus.  Julius Caesar is trying to get more equipment from the Pentagram (instead of the Pentagon) because he's trying to take all of Hell away from the Egyptians.

The description was great:

What book could be more fascinating than one about a Hell in which Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Mark Antony, Machiavelli, Napoleon, Ramses and Hatshepsut can interact freely in the midst of high-tech warfare and seething political intrigues? And then Brutus shows up... somehow lacking a few vital memories of his life, mainly a bloody March 15th... Politics and war, history and essef, this book has all of it...

1358667003.2.x.jpg

@RDCanecutter is probably the only other person here who might have read those besides me.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The shared world premise of Heroes in Hell (also called The Damned Saga) is that all the dead wind up together in Hell, where they pick up where they left off when still alive.  Romans fighting with M-16s against Viet Cong or whoever, driving around in jeeps and tanks, etc.

s-l500.jpg

Legions in Hell had an awesome back cover - a Roman soldier, an American soldier circa 1980s with an M-16 carbine-sorta, and some blonde (may have been Cleopatra or Hatshepsut in a wig), and all three are riding around in a Ferrari. I think the Roman is a young Brutus.  Julius Caesar is trying to get more equipment from the Pentagram (instead of the Pentagon) because he's trying to take all of Hell away from the Egyptians.

1358667003.2.x.jpg

@RDCanecutter is probably the only other person here who might have read those besides me.

That's as weird as A Night in the Lonesome October, which has Jack the Ripper (as the hero), Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, Frankenstein and Rasputin...

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

s-l500.jpg

1358667003.2.x.jpg

I missed these but probably bought the Harry Turtledove books next to it where a Roman Legion gets witchy-pood into an alternate-Earth Byzantine Empire so Turtledove could reuse all his grad school reading assignments.

1980s mall bookstores were a world undreamed of.

On 3/26/2023 at 7:34 PM, UT_OB1 said:

I’ll fight you for narrowing it to late 90s/early 00s. Just say ever. 

Wrong, Godfather 1 and 2, Shawshank say hello 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

that's incredible.  that the best any woman on earth has aged

Not even close. Christie Brinkley, Liz Hurley, and Halle Berry take all 3 podium spots.