45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

Just saw some video on GMA of Trump's speech in PA last night. He's back to "I'm richer than the people the other candidates go to & beg for money to keep their failed campaigns running. I don't need any money. I'll pay for it myself...believe me" bullshit. And the mouth breathers cheer in unison while they gleefully give their last twenty bucks to the carnival clown.

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait….lawyers are getting paid millions?
I LOVE stories with a happy ending!

Must not have reached Christina Bobb yet, poor girl had to side gig as a reporter at yesterday's rally/fluffer event. 

At some point you’d think with criminal cases in multiple state and federal jurisdictions that folks would go you know what, maybe he’s a “grifter, mafia, tax cheat and fraudster who tried to strong arm his way to over turning an election.”

probably not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

At some point you’d think with criminal cases in multiple state and federal jurisdictions that folks would go you know what, maybe he’s a “grifter, mafia, tax cheat and fraudster who tried to strong arm his way to over turning an election.”

probably not. 

He's a scandal in't he, he's a little outlaw.

--Naw, he-he-he's a good boy.

He ain't too good, you can tell by that twinkle in his eye.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, troph said:

probably not. 

blazing-saddles.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, troph said:

probably not. 

No, it’s just a witch hunt because the deep state, Never Trump and Democrat communist fascists are so scared of him. Did you miss how bigly he drained the swamp when he had the chance? 

• Rage+1 1

RDCanecutter, as is his wont, is on to something profound.
If y’all haven’t seen it, the movie The Highwaymen with Costner and Harrelson is a great flick about the manhunt for Bonnie and Clyde.  I watched it recently and thought about the similarities between Trump and Bonnie and Clyde.
Both set of assholes are clearly criminal scum, and the evidence of their criminality was amazingly clear.  Yet the poor uneducated mooks of the depression saw B&C as heroes and supported and protected them.   Just like the poor uneducated MAGAS support and protect Trump now.    What seems to be the common thread is that the poor uneducated mooks see those particular criminals as someone who is getting back at the unknown elite who make their life miserable and have caused their life woes.   For Bonnie and Clyde, the fact they robbed banks who had taken their farms exonerated them from anything else they did, including executing wounded cops. Of course, it was likely cops who evicted them from their farms.
In Trump’s case, he validates their fear and dislike of minorities and gays and foreigners, and people who think they are so damn smart that they laugh at what they say and think, as if they were saying stupid stuff. And as we have seen, the power of Trump is “He’s just like me, but he’s got a lot of money and a good looking  wife and bangs playmates. Plus he doesn’t seem to pay taxes, and he owns the libs”
In both cases the public completely disregarded the criminality, because they desperately want to have a Robin Hood hero who takes it to The Man - who is responsible for their woes.  I don’t think it’s more complex than that.

Well-stated. Now of the stuff that we find appalling about Trump turns these people off. THEY LIKE IT. They like stuff that “makes the libs cry.” So what of much of that stuff is stuff that would make any sane person cry (using the office solely for personal gain, raping women, pathological lying, etc). If what Trump does upsets someone who drives a nice car, or is brown or black, or has a fancy college education, that’s AWESOME!
  • Hook 'Em 3

Brisket done got into the cane sugar again
Sugar cane begat cane syrup, which begat molasses, which begat rum.
I’m pretty sure Brisket done got into that.   Except it was probably some fancy 18-year-old single barrel shit from Cuba. Fucker! 
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, troph said:

probably not. 

Certainly not.  And this is a most depressing fact.

Haven't seen it here, but there's increasing scuttlebutt that Individual-2 in the indictment is Trump assistant Molly Michael, who is at least being truthful and forthcoming with Smith (was not for the 1/6 Committee), if not outright cooperating.  If so, this could be a major windfall for Smith on 1/6.

There's a number of sources reporting, so google Molly Michael if you care.

Alex Wagner's piece on MSNBC was particularly good, as has been a lot of her coverage of this.  Love  me some Alex.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

To this day, some Cholas still roll up on Jenna Ryan in DFW and remind her she's being watched.  

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that that would be the case and Jenna would not be running her mouth on social media about it in an epic victimization screed.

• Hook 'Em 3

What's not to love about Wagner?  She even takes the edge off your debbie-downer CivPro rants ;)  

csb/ She came to Texas Tribune Festival a couple/few years back.  She was representing the Atlantic.  Friend of mine from undergrad was a sponsor and took me "backstage" between some panels and knew her really well from mutual work together.  So we go walking in the room and she shouts all girlie style, "Oh my god, Alex!...." and Wagner does this, what was in my mind, B&W slow-motion turn around with a flip of the hair and broadening smile and eyes widening.  the whole bit.  Goes into festive hug with my friend and I was just smitten.  I am told we chatted for about 60 seconds, mostly about Chicago food, which is near and dear to her family.  But I just tried to not embarrass myself, which I did as per usual.  But she is built of all legs and ass-kicking wit.  /csb

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that that would be the case and Jenna would not be running her mouth on social media about it in an epic victimization screed.

Normally, I would agree but two things:  1.  From what I understand, nothing political or specific as to why she was in there was ever mentioned.  Every effort was made to appear they were just fucking with what appeared to be an entitled rich blonde woman of privilege.  Which Jenna knew to be the case since even she knows deep down inside that her shit on the plane and real estate bling was all over the internet.  Nobody from what was paid for, was to tell her, "This is for Biden" or "You side with Trump, you're against us puta!"  None of that shit, she was made to feel fucked with because of her appearance and sentence, nothing more.  Nothing political, the fellow inmates and their friends on the outside barely know Jan. 6th even happened, let alone its impact.  #2.  Jenna, as naive and self-centered as she is, is not the stupidest person in our penal system.  Even she knows from a brief stint on the inside, you don't start broadcasting on social media about some dark skinned women with long finger nails rolling up on your open houses in a purple Dodge Charger.  I mean, you could run your mouth about it, but then---I'm guessing at the end of the day behind the ruse...she enjoys breathing as much as the next gal.  

We've successfully bribed inmates at Thomson and Marion in Illinois, about as close to super-max as you can get...to protect my uncle when he fell ill until we could get him released early to die at home with family.  In doing so, we made some friends.  Friends who share distant relatives with us going back to Mexico.  Some folks all too happy to chat with Ms. Ryan.  For once in my half-Mexican life, did I pretend to be related to all the Chicanos from Chicago to McAllen to Monterrey, MX?  Why yes, yes I did. 

To your point though.  One day Jenna is gonna get fed up and run her mouth again.  But small-timers like me are gonna be the least of her worries.  Cat's outta the bag, our judicial system isn't tip-toeing around anymore.  Even under a GOP administration, these people are fucked for life.  And just like post-Nuremberg, the ones that get away eventually surface and brag about what they did.  And punishment comes back like deja vu, all over again.   

Edited by YGIFS

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

We've successfully bribed inmates at Thomson and Marion in Illinois, about as close to super-max as you can get...to protect my uncle when he fell ill until we could get him released early to die at home with family.  In doing so, we made some friends.  Friends who share distant relatives with us going back to Mexico.  Some folks all too happy to chat with Ms. Ryan.  For once in my half-Mexican life, did I pretend to be related to all the Chicanos from Chicago to McAllen to Monterrey, MX?  Why yes, yes I did. 

You being half Mexican may be the most surprising thing in this thread. 

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

What's not to love about Wagner?  She even takes the edge off your debbie-downer CivPro rants ;)  

csb/ She came to Texas Tribune Festival a couple/few years back.  She was representing the Atlantic.  Friend of mine from undergrad was a sponsor and took me "backstage" between some panels and knew her really well from mutual work together.  So we go walking in the room and she shouts all girlie style, "Oh my god, Alex!...." and Wagner does this, what was in my mind, B&W slow-motion turn around with a flip of the hair and broadening smile and eyes widening.  the whole bit.  Goes into festive hug with my friend and I was just smitten.  I am told we chatted for about 60 seconds, mostly about Chicago food, which is near and dear to her family.  But I just tried to not embarrass myself, which I did as per usual.  But she is built of all legs and ass-kicking wit.  /csb

12bookwagner2-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=

very very very nice

31 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You being half Mexican may be the most surprising thing in this thread. 

Well considering I've mentioned it about 137 times over the last decade and two iterations of this site...but like you, I don't really pay attention to specifics about posters.  But in this case, it did color my experience with the federal judicial system.  

Not directed at you, but if I had a dollar for every time somebody said, "Wait, how can you be Mexican?"  Then I explain my mother is from Mexico and my father is from Germany, and sometimes people from different countries get married and make babies.  It's actually how about 90% of humans were created because we didn't always have countries.  Then they take a step back and look at my dark skin, dark eyes, and dark hair, and suddenly they're a genome expert, "Oh yeah, I guess I see it despite your very white sounding name."  My first language was Spanish but I can't speak a lick of German though I pronounce it like a native speaker when I read it.  But like any Sociology 101 teacher can tell you, we all change accents/vocab/mannerisms depending on what family we're visiting that week.  And I can turn on the Chicano to get out of a jam.  And I've sure as shit used it to hurt people.  On top of all that, on our Mexican side---my mother is also Sephardic Jew, making me 1/4 of the tribe.  But man I tell ya, those fuckers cannot be relied upon for prison violence.  Thanks a lot, Abraham! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

What the fuck is Judicial Watch? And why were they plotting with Trump to steal the election?

judicialwatch.org

It's a right-wing nutter organization that specializes in FOIA requests and litigation and litigation to unseal court records that it thinks will be embarrassing to "the left."  It's run by a non-lawyer named Tom Fitton, who somehow sees fit to give legal advice to Trump.  Worse, Trump takes it.  Fitton is the guy behind all the "socks case" rants that a first-year law student could brief out why it doesn't help Trump.

• Hook 'Em 3

This seems to have become the general Trump litigation thread, so he lost another one.

His own appointee dismissed his defamation suit against CNN over "Big Lie." https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/donald-trump-s-defamation-lawsuit-against-cnn-over-the-big-lie-dismissed-in-florida/ar-AA1eyuit

This fuckin guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raag_Singhal And he and his ilk are why I am not wholly convinced that Cannon is in the bag for Trump, as opposed to just having made a rookie mistake in a case too big for her.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Sugar cane begat cane syrup, which begat molasses, which begat rum.
I’m pretty sure Brisket done got into that.   Except it was probably some fancy 18-year-old single barrel shit from Cuba. Fucker! 

Or Brisket got into an 18 year-old from Cuba that drove him crazy.  Fucker!

Good bit of speculation out there as to why the "Iran War Plan" doc was charged as a count in the superseding indictment.

• The doc itself was lost in the shuffle (I'm not sure DOJ was paying as much attention to the 15 boxes as to the stuff secured by subpoena and search warrant)
  • The doc was part of the original 15 boxes "voluntarily" surrendered by Trump (arguably not as "willfully retained" as the seized documents)
  • The incident occurred in Bedminster, so venue improper in Floriduh (but the 15 boxes came from Floriduh, so a multi-district retention offense)
  • The document too sensitive to use in court

It is kind of curious why it was not initially charged.  I tend to think it may have been some combination of the above factors, but mostly that that part of the indictment got an unexpected amount of press and public attention, so much so that they decided to go ahead and charge so as not to leave that question open for the jury.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/29/2023 at 11:18 PM, Brisketexan said:

Wait….lawyers are getting paid millions?
I LOVE stories with a happy ending!

One of the more interesting things about the legal fees is how large they are considering Trump is not employing any biglaw firms with large rates and large teams working his cases.  It's mostly 2-3 lawyers at most.  I'm sure they have extravagant hourly rates and are putting in shitloads of time, but not the same way Jones Day would, for example.

Also, I saw on the Giuliani thing, Winston & Strawn among others is repping the plaintiffs and on a sanctions motion (granted), there were multiple 1000/hr plus partners billing time and the lowest rate I saw I think was 750/hr.

7ua73w.jpg

• Haha 7

I'm at a firm similar to Winston and Strawn.  Some of the tax partners are $2K/hr. and even senior associates are decently over $1K/hr.  The $750/hr. folks were probably first years, as sad as that is to type.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated