Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Every time I read about Phoenix being the fastest growing place in the US it blows my mind.

Why would you intentionally move to one of the hottest places on earth?

Don’t forget the lack of water! 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My downstairs thermostat at 11:30 was two degrees higher than the setting. 

Temp 74

set 72

That is not what I want to see. It has been set at 72 all day.

I have a very reputable AC guy check my system twice a year and a month ago he said all was good.

Upstairs is now set to sleep temp of 67 (wife). If I wake up in the morning and it’s not 67 I’m going to lose my shit. 

i read or heard somewhere that the average ac in the average house is good for about 30 degrees of cooling. if you've got good insulation and a newer unit, maybe 35-40 degrees? so if it's 115 outside...welp, you're gonna get to about 75-80 with the unit trying as hard as it can without freezing over.

Just now, hayden_horn said:

i read or heard somewhere that the average ac in the average house is good for about 30 degrees of cooling. if you've got good insulation and a newer unit, maybe 35-40 degrees? so if it's 115 outside...welp, you're gonna get to about 75-80 with the unit trying as hard as it can without freezing over.

I’ve read 15-25 degrees but yeah. 

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’ve read 15-25 degrees but yeah. 

I've been running a dehumidifier in the house to help take strain off the AC unit. It seems to help. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Every time I read about Phoenix being the fastest growing place in the US it blows my mind.

Why would you intentionally move to one of the hottest places on earth?

My cousin lives there. A few years ago he heard a crash in the garage in the middle of the night. He goes to investigate and the plastic shelving had weakened due to the heat and weight on the shelves causing them to collapse.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

“It’s really cold here. I think I would like to move to one of the hottest places on the planet.”

Morons.

I bet a good portion of those transplants are women who also turn the thermostat to the max hoping it will cool/heat the house more quickly.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

After this summer, the first even moderately cool day this Fall should be a state holiday. I'm gonna take the day off and sit outside and drink coffee in the morning, go for a long bike ride, lunch on a patio somewhere...etc. 

Yeah, it'll probably be like one of those days in London in the Spring when it's not raining.  Everyone will be outside saying fuck off to work.

• Like 1

ASU coeds?  

Anyway, we've been living with 1 out of 2 A/Cs until tomorrow when a new one gets installed.  Last night we eventually made it down to 74 upstairs.  That's as good as it gets although realistically speaking I'm completely fine with an indoor temp of 75/76.  Downstairs got as high as 85.  It helps to stand in front of a fan but, yeah, that's about it.  Best to stay holed up in an upstairs room with most of the blinds closed.  Feels like a cave but beats the downstairs.  

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

After this summer, the first even moderately cool day this Fall should be a state holiday. I'm gonna take the day off and sit outside and drink coffee in the morning, go for a long bike ride, lunch on a patio somewhere...etc. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, it'll probably be like one of those days in London in the Spring when it's not raining.  Everyone will be outside saying fuck off to work.

i don't drink any more, but damned if i won't be outside with a pack of smokes and some kind of boozy something enjoying a proper fall day.

one of my favorite random memories is going to lunch at contessa (rip) and sitting out with hallmates by the pool and smoking as a cold front, the first real one of the year, blew in and dropped the temperature by about 20 degrees in the span of one cigarette.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

That's a great idea. Needs to be one of those days where I take the day off but don't tell my wife or kids. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hah. I was on a vacation in Dublin in August a few years ago. One day of the trip it was like 80 degrees and sunny, and I swear 90% of the city took off, which means a good half of the country was off work. Parks were literally overflowing with people out sitting on blankets. 

On a sidenote, an Irish guy told me that you can instantly tell someone is an American tourist, without even talking to them, if they're wearing shorts in public. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I've been running a dehumidifier in the house to help take strain off the AC unit. It seems to help. 

I've been thinking about this very serious.  We're purposely running the downstairs HVAC warmer than usual just because of the temp differential.  It's 105 outside, I'm not gonna do battle and set at 75.  It's futile.  I want the thing to limp along until end of September so we can replace with a more efficient unit anyway.  Upstairs one is new and runs fine in the upper 70's since girls get chilly up there below 77 anyway.  We did the dehumid for a couple years back around the '11 heatpocalypse.  I think we gave it to my SiL for their new house or something.  

All that to say, what model did you go with and are you happy with the performance thusfar?  'Cause I think I'm going down that road by month's end.  Where do you position yours?  We use to go in the massive western wall with four windows and two french doors.  Even though I weather seal it every couple years, it still lets in mugginess.  I guess there by day and then master by night.  Any other best practices?  

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I've been thinking about this very serious.  We're purposely running the downstairs HVAC warmer than usual just because of the temp differential.  It's 105 outside, I'm not gonna do battle and set at 75.  It's futile.  I want the thing to limp along until end of September so we can replace with a more efficient unit anyway.  Upstairs one is new and runs fine in the upper 70's since girls get chilly up there below 77 anyway.  We did the dehumid for a couple years back around the '11 heatpocalypse.  I think we gave it to my SiL for their new house or something.  

All that to say, what model did you go with and are you happy with the performance thusfar?  'Cause I think I'm going down that road by month's end.  Where do you position yours?  We use to go in the massive western wall with four windows and two french doors.  Even though I weather seal it every couple years, it still lets in mugginess.  I guess there by day and then master by night.  Any other best practices?  

Intersting - doesn't that make the system work harder to keep the upper floors warmer? I keep the upstairs 74 during the day and 72 at night. Downstairs is 74 during the day and 75 at night, which I was advised to do by our AC guy. 

Anyway - I used a 22 Pint GE portable unit  positioned directly under the main ceiling intake for the AC system downstairs, operating under the theory that it's easier for the unit to cool and recirculate the slightly warmer but much dryer air that comes from the dehumidifier than the relatively more humid air that would be there otherwise. 

Important caveat - my house is only 2000 SqFt, and has one unit, with a split system and two thermostats. I probably should have gone with a 35 pint unit when I bought this, and if I had a larger house I would go with a 50 pint unit. If I had two AC units I would probably spring for a whole-house dehumidifier system for spring/fall use.  If we are still here when this AC is replaced I'm going to do it anyway. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Makes sense to put it near the intake.  I was selfishly thinking of the two hot spots which are the main living area's western half and the master which is also a western facade.  But that's a good place for it, which is kinda center of the house where it's dark and cool(er) and the intake is right above it.  Our downstairs isn't much bigger, about ~2,800 feet so I think 50-75 pint should be more than adequate.  The upstairs is a completely different system-separate compressor, condenser, fans, ducts, thermostat, etc.  Only thing they share is the same ext. drainage lines.  So we run that one about 77-78 this summer.  Should be fine.  I'm trying to help the main one downstairs limp to Autumn, that 15 minutes in early November where I finally smile.  

(scratches beard)...I wonder what the 30-day return policy on a dehumidified is? 

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

My cousin lives there. A few years ago he heard a crash in the garage in the middle of the night. He goes to investigate and the plastic shelving had weakened due to the heat and weight on the shelves causing them to collapse.

We bought our house on foreclosure.  Had it ripped to the studs and remodeled how we wanted it.  I kept all the kitchen cabinets and put them in my garage over the work bench I built.  One night last summer, we hear this enormous crash and I go out to the garage to find that the glue on the backboards of the cabinets had melted and the frames just fell off the wall (even though I had fully secured the actual wood parts).  Still pissed about that.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

After 9 days without AC we'll finally sleep in a cool house tonight.  We peaked at 91 inside yesterday at around 7. The interesting part from reading this thread is that the old one never had trouble keeping up until it died.

That is rough. 

I woke up yesterday and my AC was out. Thankfully it was just a capacitor. 

Fast forward to this morning and our work AC is out.  They wont be out to look at it until tomorrow second call. I am about to throw in the towel and go home.

Fuck this heat.

• Rage+1 1

I was talking to a couple of New Zealanders who just got done surfing the Pacific Coast of Mexico and they were flying with me to Mexico City and then on to Houston for 2 days. They were worried that their hotel room wouldn't have AC in Houston. I told them they didn't have to worry about that at least lol.

• Haha 1

I bet a good portion of those transplants are women who also turn the thermostat to the max hoping it will cool/heat the house more quickly.

My wife will go to the garage to get a Coke from the fridge. She will leave the door to the kitchen open when she goes out and you can see the wave of heat roll into the house . Uhh can you shut the door behind you? “Why? It’s not the door to the outside.”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

After 9 days without AC we'll finally sleep in a cool house tonight.  We peaked at 91 inside yesterday at around 7. The interesting part from reading this thread is that the old one never had trouble keeping up until it died.

Happened to me in late May, over Memorial Day weekend.   Peaked inside at 89 or so.  Was miserable 5 days, but we had a portable unit in the bedroom that kept one room cold.  The rest of the house suffered.  Shit in the pantry went bad or melted, some bigger house plants were unhappy, etc.