Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

55 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Please don’t tell me we have a ‘climate is cyclical, it was this hot back in 2011/1909, the nino (I translated it from Spanish) causes this every decade, etc’ guy in here.  It’s absolutely irrefutable that swings are getting more extreme and the rapidity with which it has happened should scare everyone.  Come on now

It's science, knowledge, and experience. How old are you?  

That's what I thought.

Believe whatever you want to believe.  Lulz.

42 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

All droughts here end in a flood...keep that in mind,. If this atmosphere continues to couple with El Nino (likely), September-Dec rainfall could surprise many after a terrible summer.

Although in true “Austin excellence” fashion the deluge, when it comes, will likely result in debris runoff into the highland lakes that exceeds what can be filtered and we’ll have a boil water notice for a week or two.  

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I just piss in your pool as a matter of course. didn't realize I was doing you a solid as well. 

would be pretty obvious if you had been doing him a solid in his pool.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

In addition to the high pressure ridge, wind shear prevents any formation and also decapitates/dissipates any already-formed tropical storms/hurricanes.

I purchased a new hurricane season generator on-line two days ago, so I believe you all owe me for this. 

• Haha 2

My daughter's preschool sent us a notice today to alert us that due to high utility bills, they'll have to eat lunch in their classrooms so they don't have to cool other parts of the facility.  While I was notified our property tax protest was declined as Travis CAD alerted us on the same day that we're in a burn ban notice but also have to boil our water for safety purposes.  And there's a knife-wielding lunatic nearby at Barton Creek Square but no public safety officers are available but those that are working will be working with our HOA to report us if we're seen hand-watering today.  And they can't fix the fence in the office complex near our house as promised because they think the heavy digging equipment will likely cause a brushfire due to friction.  

I'm guessing we're due for a lightning storm with no rain in about 15 minutes.  Holy shit.  Where's the Tylenol?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

My son had soccer practice on Saturday (indoors), and the coach said they may cancel Monday's pratice due to heat (it's outdoors today starting at 615pm).

Forecast says 104 at 6pm and 100 at 8pm.  Apparently that's not hot enough to cancel.  Practice is on.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Please don’t tell me we have a ‘climate is cyclical, it was this hot back in 2011/1909, the nino (I translated it from Spanish) causes this every decade, etc’ guy in here.  It’s absolutely irrefutable that swings are getting more extreme and the rapidity with which it has happened should scare everyone.  Come on now

And why does that surprise you?

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

That's what I thought.

"I know you are but what am I?"

What a fucking dumbass post. Keep your head buried firmly in your ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

That's what I thought.

This is some blistering contradictory dumbfuckyness right here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, miguelito said:

"This far out, any meteorologist worth their sand would say it’s impossible to be too specific about details in the long term.

This is bullshit.  I guarantee you I can predict the details of the next forever summers.

It will be hotter than fuck and we will get zero god damn rain for at least three months.

There.  Take that, fuccboi.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Weather records in Austin have only been kept since the 1890s, and the Earth is about 4.5 Billion years old, and had at least 5 global ice-ages.

So weather "records" are relative to only the minuscule time on this planet that weather measurements first had to exist, and then measurements and observations were recorded.

f480cbad18b6195c741fd7d1bb175d4c3bef6008

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So anyway, ignoring the troll, here's a little more science that made me say, "no shit?"

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/07/1192557911/does-heat-make-us-more-aggressive-researchers-put-it-to-the-test#:~:text=See - more recent research has,on sports fields%2C murder rates.

Does heat make us more aggressive? Researchers put it to the test

Spoiler

August 7, 20234:30 PM ET

Heard on All Things Considered

Nurith Aizenman

Periods of sweltering temperatures like the current global heat wave seem to drive up civil conflicts. But why? To find out, researchers put thousands of people in hot rooms - with surprising results.

We're going to turn now to an experiment that seems excruciating in the midst of the current global heat wave. Researchers at University of California, Berkeley put thousands of people in hot rooms to find out if high temperatures could make us all more violent. NPR's Nurith Aizenman reports.

NURITH AIZENMAN, BYLINE: The subjects of this experiment included college students in Nairobi, Kenya. In groups of six, they were ushered into one of two possible rooms. The first was a comfortable 68 degrees. The second was that hot room cranked up to 86 degrees. Berkeley economist Edward Miguel is one of the researchers.

EDWARD MIGUEL: We hid the heaters so that participants didn't know that we were actively heating the room. We had different screens in parts of the room.

AIZENMAN: I kind of feel for these test subjects.

(LAUGHTER)

AIZENMAN: He stresses that ethics rules barred them from forcing people to stay.

MIGUEL: In fact, in one of the sessions I was observing, somebody was like, I'm out of here.

AIZENMAN: But the vast majority sweated it out and spent the next hour playing a series of computer games, including one called The Joy of Destruction.

MIGUEL: This is a direct measure of aggressive, antisocial behavior.

AIZENMAN: Essentially, you're shown how much money another player has just won playing their own game. Then you're given the option of totally anonymously erasing that person's payoff. And Miguel says, here's the key. When it comes to this payoff...

MIGUEL: It isn't like, oh, I'm taking it away from them. I'm getting it myself. I don't get the money.

AIZENMAN: And it's actual money, as much as $30.

MIGUEL: You're really harming somebody and not benefiting yourself other than the pleasure of seeing other people do worse.

AIZENMAN: So did being in the hot room increase people's interest in doing this? Before we get to the answer, here's why Miguel and his collaborators were so keen to find out. Over the last 20 years, scientists have been uncovering how in countries, mostly lower-income ones, where there's been lots of political conflict, it's tracked with bouts of extreme heat. During those periods...

MIGUEL: There's more likelihood of civil war. There's more violence. There's more political instability. And that's just been shown now around the world in scores and scores of studies.

AIZENMAN: Nina Harari is an economist at University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. She says the upshot is that with climate change, the world isn't just going to get hotter, it's probably going to get more violent.

NINA HARARI: That is disheartening and concerning going forward.

AIZENMAN: Harari and a collaborator have shown that in sub-Saharan Africa, it's only when extreme heat and consequent drought hit during the growing season that there's been an increase in civil conflict - riots, battles, recruiting by rebel groups.

HARARI: So the idea is my agricultural yields are very low, so that makes me more likely to engage in conflict activity the following year.

AIZENMAN: But Harari says Edward Miguel's hot room study breaks new ground by rigorously testing for a factor that economic analyses like hers can't get at. See - more recent research has found that in countries of all income levels, even when there's not an economic impact of heat, it still correlates with many types of aggression - ranting on social media, fights on sports fields, murder rates. So could there also be a psychological effect of extreme heat?

HARARI: You really need something like a lab experiment.

AIZENMAN: Which brings us back to Miguel and company's findings, first revealed in a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper. He says in Kenya's cool room, about 1 in 7 students chose to destroy the other player's winnings, in line with what's been found in other studies using this game, including in the U.S. But in Kenya's hot room, 1 in 5 students chose destruction, still within that normal global range but nearing the top end and 50% higher than in the cool room.

MIGUEL: A very sharp increase in these antisocial behaviors.

AIZENMAN: But it wasn't all the Kenyan students who reacted this way. The experiment had been done amid a tense and, at times, violent election.

MIGUEL: The opposition felt really aggrieved, and they felt the election was being stolen from them. And they were protesting.

AIZENMAN: And the hot room only drove up the aggression of students from ethnic groups aligned with that politically marginalized opposition. In fact, the researchers had also tested students in the U.S. and found no difference between their behaviors in the hot and cold rooms. But that testing had been done well before the upheaval of the U.S.'s 2020 presidential election. The potential implication - heat could be an accelerant.

MIGUEL: For people who already feel a sense of grievance, experiencing extreme temperature could really be the last straw.

AIZENMAN: An additional psychological stress that tips them into violence. Nurith Aizenman, NPR News.

53 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And some of you lizard people want to live in 80-degree terrariums.

AC is set at 83, having a beer and quite good to go. Might crank it WAY down to 80 at bed time. Yeah, the heat sucks. Pretty sure I lost a few trees. Hand water the garden, shit is growing well. 

I don't sleep with a comforter in summer. That goes to the closet for about 6 months and out comes a nice poncho liner. That and a fan and I am good to go. 

And for the record, I spend about 3 hours a day in a suit. Meh, go linen. Stop wearing those  polyester golf shirts when it is hot. 

5 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

My son had soccer practice on Saturday (indoors), and the coach said they may cancel Monday's pratice due to heat (it's outdoors today starting at 615pm).

Forecast says 104 at 6pm and 100 at 8pm.  Apparently that's not hot enough to cancel.  Practice is on.

This hits close to home -- my son is in pre-tryout training with the UT soccer club and they just moved their practices from 6:45 PM to 8 PM.  Which dumbass club is your son playing for, because it's more than a little unsafe at 6:15 PM.

Did about an hour of yardwork this morning and thought, "Wow, haven't broken a sweat yet...maybe summer is finally taking a turn or maybe I'm getting in better shape."

Nope, came inside for some water.  Started sweating like a heroin addict in withdrawals.  Holy shit.  That was fucking deceptive.  My asscrack even got fooled (insert Elton John joke here).  

Fuck. The long-range GFS model that was showing something next Tues/Wed for a pattern change then pushed it off until the weekend... and now it's not even there. Showing 102+ until at least the end of August.

Fuck this shit. Holy fuck it fucking sucks.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Did about an hour of yardwork this morning and thought, "Wow, haven't broken a sweat yet...maybe summer is finally taking a turn or maybe I'm getting in better shape."

Nope, came inside for some water.  Started sweating like a heroin addict in withdrawals.  Holy shit.  That was fucking deceptive.  My asscrack even got fooled (insert Elton John joke here).  

I drove over to Lucky Lab coffee in West Campus to grab some breakfast and take a little walk before heading to work.  Honestly, it felt OK outside.  Much better than the 99 degree misery last night at dusk.  I did notice that yesterday afternoon felt exceptionally oppressive.  I am definitely jumping into Ramsey pool for lunch today.

• Hook 'Em 2

How is that pool for kids?  We got an email yesterday announcing some extra pools would stay open into October.  Daughter has been doing swim lessons/camp at a City of austin pool.  and really enjoyed it and made some friends.  We never really used City pools except nearby Barton Springs because she wasn't comfortable in the water until finally this year.  We've been fortunate to have neighbors on all three sides of us with pools but they're all tepid human bacteria frappes this summer.  Unless you're swimming at 6am, it's fucking miserable.  But the city pool we go to for lessons is really pleasant, guess it's just the shade plus they pump cool water into it every Wednesday.  But it closes down next week so we're  looking for some others to use that are kid friendly (no offense to the homeless bathing at Deep Eddy) so she can still practice laps into Sep/Oct when the neighbor pools are still boiling hot.  And then hopefully Nov-Feb, we can find her an indoor pool for more lessons.  

Anyway, 6 more weeks to avoid heat-stroke.  Cheers fellas.  

Over/under on how many folks get treated for heat-induced illnesses at the 2:30p Rice game?  

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

How is that pool for kids?  We got an email yesterday announcing some extra pools would stay open into October.  Daughter has been doing swim lessons/camp at a City of austin pool.  and really enjoyed it and made some friends.  We never really used City pools except nearby Barton Springs because she wasn't comfortable in the water until finally this year.  We've been fortunate to have neighbors on all three sides of us with pools but they're all tepid human bacteria frappes this summer.  Unless you're swimming at 6am, it's fucking miserable.  But the city pool we go to for lessons is really pleasant, guess it's just the shade plus they pump cool water into it every Wednesday.  But it closes down next week so we're  looking for some others to use that are kid friendly (no offense to the homeless bathing at Deep Eddy) so she can still practice laps into Sep/Oct when the neighbor pools are still boiling hot.  And then hopefully Nov-Feb, we can find her an indoor pool for more lessons.  

Over/under on how many folks get treated for heat-induced illnesses at the 2:30p Rice game?  

So, the Ramsey pool is kickass because they manage to keep that water feeling cold and refreshing.  Its not a big pool but sits right in Ramsey Park in Rosedale.  Very chill during the week BUT I think its one of the pools closing after this weekend.  I've walked past Shipe in Hyde Park.  Pool looks smaller and with no deep end but it does have a lap pool.  It looks very nice and you are walking distance from the restaurants in Hyde Park.  Its supposed to stay open through September but I hear the water is warmer.    If you have a chance this week, check out Ramsey.  It's a little old school gem.  Fair warning - pool is closed on Thursdays.  

Have not been to Mabel Davis but heard its nice and its next to a skate park.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Govalle Pool or GTFO.

16 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Govalle Pool or GTFO.

Yeah, that was one listed that'll be open until 1 October.  I think Shipe, Mabel Falls, and Garrison until same date. And then Stacy Pool is open until 31 October.  Nice respite since the our neighbor's pools are all over 90 degrees most of the day.   Which is disgusting.  I still use the lap pool at Gregory but can't take the kids there since it's pricey plus can't enjoy  the  eye  candy with family in tow so city pools are a nice feature.  

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

UT should tell the goddamn TV people to shove that time slot up their clueless asses.

I mean, I know it's a network/conference decision and lots of southern cities have afternoon games in September.  But at some point, are all the serious health issues for our older fans and small children really worth it?  Are we getting some sort of recruiting edge by having Rice on regional television?  Wife has an old friend coming in from out of town for this game.  We haven't seen her in a long while and she wants to meet the kids, and asked if we'd show her around all the pre-game festivities and parties 'n shit.  And of course wife volunteered us and said we'd bring the girls down and set her up with parking and passes 'n shit.  And in asshole fashion, I had to say, "Why the fuck did you do that?  I wasn't even gonna bother with that game.  Plus last time I saw her, she was probably pushing 250+.  She's gonna melt in that heat."  Wife thought, for some bizarre reason it was a night game, I showed her 2:30p and said I'm not taking the girls down there, she can go meet her friend if she wants but fuck all that.  She eventually saw I was right (for once).  I mean this girl used to break a sweat ordering ice cream, so I doubt she'll do anything beyond leaving her hotel room at 2:29p.  /csb     

I think the K-State game should be a hair under 90 degrees so we got that going for us.  Which is nice.