who are the real freaks of Texas Football (aside from Cleve Bryant)

shadow_operative

I'm sorry, but there's Vince Young and then everybody else when it comes to the notion of "freak". He hasn't played a snap of college football in almost 18 years and many of his plays and performances are still awe inspiring. There's never been another guy like him on his level. He's still the freak that newer facsimiles get compared to when you see them on TV.

There are numerous plays of his that I have never before seen or since replicated. The Michigan and USC Rose Bowls were amazing, but go look at some of the other shit that guy pulled off. The Okie State game where he pumped faked a pass 10 yards past the LOS to juke a player and run 50+ for a TD. The 4th and 18 play. The KSU game where it looked like his ankle had been snapped and he came back in to win it. Etc., so forth. 

4 hours ago, Beer Drinker said:

Earl Thomas

That dude could see the future. Not many like him in CFB, ever. The two Miami safeties, Ed Reed and the younger one who was tragically murdered, are two that come to mind. I'm sure there are another couple, but he was unbelievable, there haven't been many like him and he definitely did freaky shit on the field.

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Uhh, Scott Derry??

You ignore the prowess of Reid Boyd at your own peril, sir.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

whole lotta people here who have no idea what the thread is about. being a great player does not equal being a freak. 

4 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I feel like this guy needs to at least be mentioned..

image.thumb.png.04882fcdd60c9f4c1321de42400a1d28.png

not at all. not even close to what the thread is about. really good player- not a freak. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, well, it's as if you people have completely forgotten about Destructive Back Rufus Harris.

Edited by TexArcher
Yes, you people

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I enjoyed watching Seneca Wallace for yall.

That was the year after he graduated.  2003 was the absolute shittiest ISU football season of this century, which is saying something.  The only one worse in my lifetime was 1997, the year after Troy Davis went pro.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

whole lotta people here who have no idea what the thread is about. being a great player does not equal being a freak. 

not at all. not even close to what the thread is about. really good player- not a freak. 

Well, the details you laid out in your OP (none) really kind of leave it up for interpretation.  

IMHO, a small white kid from a 3A high school, essentially re-writing the receiving record book at a program like Texas is pretty freakish.

But you're right, I suppose, Shipley isn't a"freak"

To be honest, most on your list, to me are just really great players.

Freak should be reserved for maybe 5 guys on your list

Edited by Tylerocks

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Well, the details you laid out in your OP (none) really kind of leave it up for interpretation.  

IMHO, a small white kid from a 3A high school, essentially re-writing the receiving record book at a program like Texas is pretty freakish.

But you're right, I suppose, Shipley isn't a"freak"

To be honest, most on your list, to me are just really great players.

Freak should be reserved for maybe 5 guys on your list

OK now you’ve done it.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

also worth mentioning, no one could tackle roy williams in college. it was like a high schooler playing (insert new name for game where everybody tries to tackle one dude) against toddlers.

Sully the bully?

• Hook 'Em 1

World-class sprinter speed in a football player is pretty freakish. Anyone who doubts Lam Jones belongs on this list didn't see him running in the Texas Relays or Montreal Olympics or carrying the ball in DKR. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NWAustinDude said:

Fine to list freak players, but I like to think of all-time freak plays, just as CTJ listed some of Vince's panty droppers.

Given how critically important this was, here's a freak play that may top the defensive freak plays of all time.

spacer.png

okay this is the picture of perfection in freak interception.  The OG in that category is one Jerry Gray...against Auburn in 1983? in Auburn, afternoon game, I can still see the play in my mind.  Fly pattern, Receiver looks for the ball, Jerry looks for the ball, they both jump up high, high, high, and Jerry intercepts the ball with one hand...remember the ball was thrown about 50 yards...and as Jerry comes crashing down to the soft natural grass, he holds onto the ball for the interception.  

It's only been 40 years and I still believe that is the best one-handed interception I have ever seen. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Case McCoy was into some kinda weird stuff so he's my nominee, but I'm sure there are other players with bizarre fetishes that we just aren't privy to.

If it's freaks, Case would have been a good choice for the lead in a Tod Browning movie. 

1163506.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, NWAustinDude said:

Fine to list freak players, but I like to think of all-time freak plays, just as CTJ listed some of Vince's panty droppers.

Given how critically important this was, here's a freak play that may top the defensive freak plays of all time.

Same season, most important play in a crucial game:  Limas Sweed catching the TD against tOSU.

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Ramonces return was more important than that to me. Heck, I’d rank jamaals tackle higher than that.

Well, we would have lost the game had we not scored on that drive.  Ask a Buckeye -- most point to that play as being the heartbreaker.  That aside, I pointed it out because the two plays (Griffin vs USC and Sweed vs tOSU) had a similar look to them, despite the offense/defense difference.

spacer.png

Texas v Ohio State

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm gonna go with Chris Akins. I pretended to be him when some dude was hitting on my gf on AOL Chat. Didn't hear a thing from him again. 

https://www.timesleader.com/archive/902984/texas-star-may-be-a-giant-but-hes-no-gentleman-on-field#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16839498696612&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.timesleader.com%2Farchive%2F902984%2Ftexas-star-may-be-a-giant-but-hes-no-gentleman-on-field

And Butch Hadnot obviously 

Edited by Butch Had Not

When I think freak, I think of guys who physically were like grown men playing thanksgiving football with the kids. That would be Earl and Nobis. Maybe Ricky. Maybe Layne. 

On other teams, Bob Lilly was a great example of a freak. 6’4”, 270#, in an era when college linemen averaged 235#. He was bigger, stronger and faster than others on the field. That’s a freak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

okay this is the picture of perfection in freak interception.  The OG in that category is one Jerry Gray...against Auburn in 1983? in Auburn, afternoon game, I can still see the play in my mind.  Fly pattern, Receiver looks for the ball, Jerry looks for the ball, they both jump up high, high, high, and Jerry intercepts the ball with one hand...remember the ball was thrown about 50 yards...and as Jerry comes crashing down to the soft natural grass, he holds onto the ball for the interception.  

It's only been 40 years and I still believe that is the best one-handed interception I have ever seen. 

And then the next year against Auburn at DKR he ran down Bo Jackson and knocked him out of the game with a separated shoulder.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Gidnik said:

Ramonce taylor might have been the biggest waste of god give talent in football history. That dude was something special. 

It’s not like we were hurting at the RB position in 2006 and 2007 (Selvin and Jamaal in 2006 and Jamaal in 2007), but would’ve loved for him to have been on those teams.

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sorry, but there's Vince Young and then everybody else when it comes to the notion of "freak". He hasn't played a snap of college football in almost 18 years and many of his plays and performances are still awe inspiring. There's never been another guy like him on his level. He's still the freak that newer facsimiles get compared to when you see them on TV.

There are numerous plays of his that I have never before seen or since replicated. The Michigan and USC Rose Bowls were amazing, but go look at some of the other shit that guy pulled off. The Okie State game where he pumped faked a pass 10 yards past the LOS to juke a player and run 50+ for a TD. The 4th and 18 play. The KSU game where it looked like his ankle had been snapped and he came back in to win it. Etc., so forth. 

That dude could see the future. Not many like him in CFB, ever. The two Miami safeties, Ed Reed and the younger one who was tragically murdered, are two that come to mind. I'm sure there are another couple, but he was unbelievable, there haven't been many like him and he definitely did freaky shit on the field.

Reid Boyd was a tackling machine and expert mugger.

8 hours ago, statsman said:

When I think freak, I think of guys who physically were like grown men playing thanksgiving football with the kids. That would be Earl and Nobis. Maybe Ricky. Maybe Layne. 

On other teams, Bob Lilly was a great example of a freak. 6’4”, 270#, in an era when college linemen averaged 235#. He was bigger, stronger and faster than others on the field. That’s a freak. 

Not including VY makes me think you should stop thinking.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Not including VY makes me think you should stop thinking.

Crap! You’re right! I meant to include him, it was late…

Jim Brown was the ultimate freak, and they used to say (this was the ‘50s) he could play in the NFL at any position on the field. 

The game was a lot diffeeent in the aughts, but Vince could have played QB, TE, WR, OT (would take some weight room work), DE…

It’s a little harder to imagine him as a RB, LB or S, but I don’t know that anything is past him. 

Edited by statsman

17 hours ago, NWAustinDude said:

spacer.png

ced griffin saving our bacon in columbus >>>