So, solve this mystery:

Brisketexan

The other evening, I leave the office, and am walking to my car in the parking garage. I walk by a car near mine, and this scene is on that car’s windshield:

2db74266843d9dba8b74b8b2c7d5b0f2.jpg

Nobody is in or anywhere near the car. Not another person in sight.

That is an iPhone, with a running timer. When I got to it, it was counting down from 20 minutes. And the book is what it is. Both just sitting there, in full view.

I took a pic, then GTFO because that’s some weird shit.

Any guesses as to what’s going on here? Because I don’t have a clue.

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Based on how much of the blue circle is left, the timer was set for 30 minutes.

Also, that's an android.

Yep, I surmised that it had been set for 30 mins based on the circle.

Didn't bother to look that closely at the phone.  I'm an iPhone guy, because that's what my family adopted before I upgraded from a Blackberry, and that's how it goes.  Androids frighten and confuse this caveman lawyer.

18 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

This is a female leaving her phone in the car so she cant be tracked by her spouse, so she can go to another place and bang her side piece.  The timer is tied to her apple watch so she can keep an eye on the clock and be notified when its time to get back.

I like this guess.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

This is a female leaving her phone in the car so she cant be tracked by her spouse, so she can go to another place and bang her side piece.  The timer is tied to her apple watch so she can keep an eye on the clock and be notified when its time to get back.

So the watch doesn’t get tracked?  And she left the phone, lit up, on the dash for all to see for what reason?  

It's not the timer, it's the book.  It's a women's book about daily spiritual passages, quotes, etc.

But WTF is hygge — and why is everyone obsessed with it?

It's basically a Danish word (pronounced hoo-guh) that describes an ultimate feeling of coziness and relaxation.

57 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

i only say female bc ive seen this book read/mentioned by several female coworkers/friends

About the author, from Amazon:

”Jamie Erickson is a former elementary school teacher turned homeschooling mother of 5. In addition to speaking at homeschooling conferences and writing for several homeschooling periodicals, she can be found on The Mom to Mom Podcast or at her popular education blog TheUnlikelyHomeschool.com where she encourages and equips a growing tribe of homeschooling parents all across the globe.”

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

”Jamie Erickson is a former elementary school teacher turned homeschooling mother of 5. In addition to speaking at homeschooling conferences and writing for several homeschooling periodicals, she can be found on The Mom to Mom Podcast or at her popular education blog TheUnlikelyHomeschool.com where she encourages and equips a growing tribe of homeschooling parents all across the globe.”

Now the phone left in view on the dashboard counting down makes sense somehow.   Were there kids locked in the trunk?  Was this some sort of home school final exam?

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

K Peralta GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So the watch doesn’t get tracked?  And she left the phone, lit up, on the dash for all to see for what reason?  

Point of clarification, which I think makes it all the weirder--the phone and the book are sitting on the windshield outside the car.  They're not inside the car on the dashboard.

33 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Scavenger hunt.

This actually makes a lot of sense.

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

She told her bf/husband that she's working late. That she would be done after 7pm. The time is counting down an extra 20ish mins after 7pmm for her to "get her stuff, take the elevator down, and then start leaving the parking garage." She was reading that book waiting for her side piece to show up in the parking garage. You should've walked around the garage, they were banging in his car.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

She told her bf/husband that she's working late. That she would be done after 7pm. The time is counting down an extra 20ish mins after 7pmm for her to "get her stuff, take the elevator down, and then start leaving the parking garage." She was reading that book waiting for her side piece to show up in the parking garage. You should've walked around the garage, they were banging in his car.

The alarm is set 2 minutes before 7pm, so this person has something to do at 7pm. That could be work, appt, phone call, etc. The nap theory, perhaps before a night shift, seems most likely.

The book appears to have a bookmark in it, some scrap paper.

There is also some kind of sticker on the lower left side or the cover that makes it look like a library book.

Someone checked a book out of the library and marked a page, and someone else has 30 mins to find the book, find the page, and record something about the page.

My money on an older women reading, waiting on an appt, had to use the restroom and forgot her phone she put on dash.

Reasoning:

Likely set timer on phone and set on dash.... forgot.. grabbed purse thinking it was still inside when went inside

Book is a library book based on label on spine - no young person (under 50 is going to a library to get that book)

Android phone - not tied to watch... would alert if left otherwise

The model/year of the car would be a much bigger clue here.

29 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

My money on an older women reading, waiting on an appt, had to use the restroom and forgot her phone she put on dash.

Reasoning:

Likely set timer on phone and set on dash.... forgot.. grabbed purse thinking it was still inside when went inside

Book is a library book based on label on spine - no young person (under 50 is going to a library to get that book)

Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Reasoning:

Again--the phone and book are not on the dash.  They're sitting on the windshield outside the car.

32 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Again--the phone and book are not on the dash.  They're sitting on the windshield outside the car.

Why do you keep saying this?  You can clearly see the screen reflection glow on the underside of the windshield.  You would not see that if the phone were on the outside of the windshield unless it was face down. 

Also, why didn't Brisket just hang around for 20 minutes?  He should have at least left a note on the windshield that said "MESSAGE RECEIVED, I'LL BE THERE."

Edited by idigTexas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, I surmised that it had been set for 30 mins based on the circle.

Didn't bother to look that closely at the phone.  I'm an iPhone guy, because that's what my family adopted before I upgraded from a Blackberry, and that's how it goes.  Androids frighten and confuse this caveman lawyer.

I like this guess.

Live look at Brisket:

5 Ways Men Have Become the SNL Caveman Lawyer - Omigods

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Apparently this is happening a lot and I actually found your answer:

How Holy Hygge is Applied, by Gertjan Van Thorens

Fascinating!

I was fully expecting that link to take me here.

51 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The only way you could know that is if...it was YOUR CAR!

18 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Why do you keep saying this?  You can clearly see the screen reflection glow on the underside of the windshield.  You would not see that if the phone were on the outside of the windshield unless it was face down. 

Also, why didn't Brisket just hang around for 20 minutes?  He should have at least left a note on the windshield that said "MESSAGE RECEIVED, I'LL BE THERE."

Brisket said it was "on the windshield" ?

What I find hard to believe that a surlyite of Brisket's status did not take a dick pic then text MULEDICK! to the most recent contact before putting the phone back and leaving... 

24 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

It was on the outside of the car.  That was the peculiar part of it that drew my attention.  Otherwise, I generally wouldn't even notice what's sitting on some random car's dashboard. But in this case, I thought "huh, how the hell did someone's phone end up out there?"

3 minutes ago, JMFP said:

What I find hard to believe that a surlyite of Brisket's status did not take a dick pic then text MULEDICK! to the most recent contact before putting the phone back and leaving... 

Sonofa....

42 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Because that's what Brisket told me when he related this story to me three days ago as we were walking through the garage and he said, "so there was the weirdest thing about this car that was parked in that spot yesterday, . . . ."

• Haha 3

Hygge is a joke.   Danes are happy because they expect everything to go terribly.  When things are only mildly shitty it's like a wonderful surprise for them.  In general, they are a nation of sedated cows, contentedly chewing cud while simultaneously waiting for the sky to fall.  An excellent social safety net and general blandness of existence will do that to a people.  It has a quiet beauty to it, but doesn't leave room for much vitality, creativity, or inspired living.  It also doesn't leave room for much poverty, anger, or resentment. 

In short, this woman clearly went inside to take a shit and died of boredom while sitting there trying to feel cozy about her constipation.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's a lot of words to say batshit crazy.