Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)

Beau Vine

Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Is Donald Trump being indicted for espionage (among other things) a relevant Current Events topic?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/17/23 at 06:51 PM

25 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

If the owners of this site want actual free discourse on political topics to be confined to the CR, then rep needs to be disabled in the CR. 

Then [Animal][Smoking] would start 500 threads a day by copypasta articles from the Federalist, or EpochTimes, etc without including a link.  

• Hook 'Em 4

It’s their site.  They can do as they please.  But potential students and their families do see this site.  And we look like fucking morons most of the time.  And not just because we are actual morons.  In the end, who gives a shit.  The orange cunt is going to die in ~15 months and we’re going to fraudulently sell the site for a 72-hour bender of strippers and blow that even HaydenHorn would tip his cap to. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Then [Animal][Smoking] would start 500 threads a day by copypasta articles from the Federalist, or EpochTimes, etc without including a link.  

If he’s truly spamming, then he gets banned. Otherwise, those threads are easy to ignore. Just don’t click on them. 

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

we’re going to fraudulently sell the site for a 72-hour bender of strippers and blow that even HaydenHorn would tip his cap to. 

I'm going to hold you to this.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don’t think it’s about the headline, there is no way to talk about this apolitically for more than a few minutes. 

Not true.  

8 hours ago, Smax said:

yes but there is no way to discuss this subject without it going cloakroomy

Not true.

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Snowflakes will get fee fees hurt. 

True.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i guess the only thing i have to ask is what is accomplished by discussing political news in DT?

what's accomplished by having a "news only" indictment of a former president thread? what is it you'll get here you won't get in CR?

Discussing news, such as a criminal proceeding involving a political figure is worthwhile in and of itself.  There can be discussion of the possible penalties, the actual crimes alleged, etc., without going into the red versus blue bullshit team talk.

What you'll get here is the ability to have a discussion without the baggage of the team talk.  We do it in the Ukraine threads, there's really no reason why we couldn't do it for this topic if posters will exercise some restraint.

i mean, there is virtually no fucking way to separate the politics from a former president being indicted. we can talk about nixon now in DT because it's ancient fucking history. this is real time history happening in front of our eyes, and it's highly politicized. 

sometimes a news story is just a political news story, and it cannot be separated.

Not true.

55 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

with paxton and trump prosecution stuff though, there's just no viable way to separate it.

Not true.

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s all news.  The former President and current front runner for the Republican nomination in the next election getting indicted in a bombshell case about stolen highly classified information with a real chance of a long prison sentence is one of the most newsworthy events that has ever happened in this country.  The idea that is isn’t news or a current event is willful delusion. 

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

28 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

It's a good idea in theory, but you know some choads are just gonna neg bomb everything someone posted in every forum based on a comment they made in CR. Hell it's already happening.

Neg rep talk not going away.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Oh spare us.  There were a lot of temp bans handed out in the Covid thread.  I got one of them for posting one of Trump's tweets with no commentary.

congrats. you were a bad actor and received appropriate punishment. or you got caught up in a sweep. whatever. plenty of bans were handed out in both the covid threads and the blm threads. and any number of other fucking threads. that doesn't mean that every "bannable" offense or whatever the fuck got 100% justice according to whoever.

i'm not taking any fucking blame here. yall go out of your way to make this political, then bitch to me that i'm not doing it right or that i'm unfairly taking one side or another or that @immamac and/or @blacklab have some sort of inherent bias or goal or moderating objective. you know what our agenda is? leave us the fuck alone and act like fucking adults. yall argue like teenagers over stupid intangible shit, and i still don't see what the end goal is.

yall expect us to somehow be perfect, and it's not possible. not only that, but you are framing and viewing our supposed lack of perfection through a lens of your own crafting, then complaining to us about the focus or lack thereof.

our goal is not to treat anyone "special." jesus christ, everyone is such a victim. we try to keep the politics and the news separate to the degree possible while making the most posters as happy as possible while at the same time trying to stand by the principles of the board, of which there are remarkably few, and every one gets pissed.

hell, i even made a mistake and made a trump post on a dt thread that got deleted by another mod, and rightfully so. it was a mistake and i regret making it.

we are (mostly) real people here all dealing with real lives and real shit behind our fake screen names. our goal is to try and separate bad actor trolls and bots from the real people with different opinions.

it's not as easy as yall might think.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

congrats. you were a bad actor and received appropriate punishment. or you got caught up in a sweep. whatever. plenty of bans were handed out in both the covid threads and the blm threads. and any number of other fucking threads. that doesn't mean that every "bannable" offense or whatever the fuck got 100% justice according to whoever.

i'm not taking any fucking blame here. yall go out of your way to make this political, then bitch to me that i'm not doing it right or that i'm unfairly taking one side or another or that @immamac and/or @blacklab have some sort of inherent bias or goal or moderating objective. you know what our agenda is? leave us the fuck alone and act like fucking adults. yall argue like teenagers over stupid intangible shit, and i still don't see what the end goal is.

yall expect us to somehow be perfect, and it's not possible. not only that, but you are framing and viewing our supposed lack of perfection through a lens of your own crafting, then complaining to us about the focus or lack thereof.

our goal is not to treat anyone "special." jesus christ, everyone is such a victim. we try to keep the politics and the news separate to the degree possible while making the most posters as happy as possible while at the same time trying to stand by the principles of the board, of which there are remarkably few, and every one gets pissed.

hell, i even made a mistake and made a trump post on a dt thread that got deleted by another mod, and rightfully so. it was a mistake and i regret making it.

we are (mostly) real people here all dealing with real lives and real shit behind our fake screen names. our goal is to try and separate bad actor trolls and bots from the real people with different opinions.

Lulz. Saying everyone is such a victim while doing the mod martyrdom shtick thing is peak irony.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Wow, this is like a Derka post.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

And I, for one, understand this and appreciate your and the other mods' efforts. 

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Wow, this is like a Derka post.

Just don't say that three times.

Beetlejuice GIFs | Tenor

Just now, royiv said:

Lulz. Saying everyone is such a victim while doing the mod martyrdom shtick thing is peak irony.

whatever. i'm exressing my point of view. 

this is a message board on the internet.

serious fucking business.

i'm not looking for points. i'm just laying out methodology. maybe it's because i spend my days moderating thankless fights between my sons, i dunno, but my patience for "his headline touched me" is very low. i'll just move shit to cloak room. i don't know why yall can't just go there for your politics. it's the weirdest thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s absolutely political.

The suggestion that it is not is yet more proof.  Like an athlete saying,’It’s not about the money.’  Yes it is.  Every.fucking.Time.

Dude is a shitbag, and I’m not disputing that. It’s a CR topic.

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

The suggestion that it is not is yet more proof.  Like an athlete saying,’It’s not about the money.’  Yes it is.  Every.fucking.Time.

Slorch'd!

• Haha 1

I don’t know if there’s any reason to believe that Trump stole and shared military secrets for political purposes. It’s political in that he’s the leader of one of our political parties. But the felonies he committed (allegedly. Also, really) - were those motivated by politics? Or was he willing to put American military lives at risk for personal gain?

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I don’t know if there’s any reason to believe that Trump stole and shared military secrets for political purposes. It’s political in that he’s the leader of one of our political parties. But the felonies he committed (allegedly. Also, really) - were those motivated by politics? Or was he willing to put American military lives at risk for personal gain?

Well..."personal gain" being getting cool points from Kid Rock so...worth it?

• Hook 'Em 1

Is this the biggest scandal of a criminal political nature in the country's history? 

Disseminating classified information of America's and her allies' defense vulnerabilities among other things is 20 to life type of illegal. It's like that stupid kid who got arrested for sharing classified info to his buddies on twitch or some game platform but it's a former president doing it to information he stole from the White House on his last day in office. 

This is sheer insanity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Is this the biggest scandal of a criminal political nature in the country's history? 

Disseminating classified information of America's and her allies' defense vulnerabilities among other things is 20 to life type of illegal. It's like that stupid kid who got arrested for sharing classified info to his buddies on twitch or some game platform but it's a former president doing it to information he stole from the White House on his last day in office. 

This is sheer insanity. 

Yeah, but he was showing off stuff to Kid Rock.

If I was President and had classified stuff, and somehow Sela Ward ended up in front of me, I'd do all kinds of crazy shit to impress her.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I was told no political stuff would be posted here. 

Really?

3. No matter what, people will start making political opinions on that thread, our team, your team, but obama, but biden, etc, and I nor the other mods have fucking time to police another fucking huge thread. It will mirror the CR thread in short order.

Yes, they will, and you can rely on the "CR bullshit not in CR " REPORT function to handle that, as imma has told us that 3 reports on the same post gets it auto-deleted.  QED.

The most comparable mega presidential scandal to this is Watergate, because it has the potential to destroy the republic.  Watergate resolved itself short of that, we’ll see how this progresses. Seems newsworthy to me.  This rises well above blowjobs in the White House, or some quid pro quo with an Eastern European president. 

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

whatever. i'm exressing my point of view. 

this is a message board on the internet.

serious fucking business.

i'm not looking for points. i'm just laying out methodology. maybe it's because i spend my days moderating thankless fights between my sons, i dunno, but my patience for "his headline touched me" is very low. i'll just move shit to cloak room. i don't know why yall can't just go there for your politics. it's the weirdest thing.

It's telling that you think that the Commander in Chief of the US Military potentially comprising US assets is politics. Treason should not be a political issue.

Just now, royiv said:

It's telling that you think that the Commander in Chief of the US Military potentially compromising US assets is politics. Treason should not be a political issue.

Edited by royiv
Goddammit. I suck at editing.

maybe. maybe not. 
it's not surly's job to be the arbiter of information that people need to read. we aren't over here trying to determine what is newsworthy and what isn't.
we're over here trying to keep politics confined to the politics board because it infects and destroys other boards that let it.
if a news event is political, it should be discussed as political, not as a "news" topic so some of you so-called sneaky fuck trolls can try to get a rise out of each other like my teenage boys. yall do that to each other on dt over and over again. "totally not a political post but totally a political post" is a thing. yall do it for reasons that are beyond me. there are no tangible reasons for yall to fight like idiots over the forum where a discussion occurs. 
why does it fucking matter so much?

I think there’s an argument that the central story here - a former president has being indicted for treason and the resulting legal proceedings - is not political. It could have political ripple effects, and it involves political figures, but there’s nothing going on with regard to making policy.

There’s actually a pretty fine line between discussing the facts of the case and the potential legal outcomes as opposed to partisan bickering or discussing its potential impact on the presidential campaign that’s beginning to get rolling.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Espionage and treason against the United States shouldn’t be political.

But the fact that some people are crying that it is, says EVERYTHING I need to know about those people.

Reported. 

Athletes take discounts to win all the time lol slorch’ed

I read the entire indictment. His body man Walt Nauta is also in deep shit. Trump instructed him to move all the boxes multiple times, even to hid them from his attorneys, and Nauta lied to FBI about it. They had receipts. Yikes 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I read the entire indictment. His body man Walt Nauta is also in deep shit. Trump instructed him to move all the boxes multiple times, even to hid them from his attorneys, and Nauta lied to FBI about it. They had receipts. Yikes 

The video of him moving boxes and then lying to the FBI about it... Nauta has fucked himself hard.

A lot of people seem to be skipping the bits about Trump having the boxes moved multiple times.  It was not a case of "we found some classified documents and want to turn them in", it's "I need to have these boxes moved on this day so that Person A doesn't see them, and then we'll move them over to this location so that Person B doesn't see them on this day" etc.

Then again, if he had just turned them all in as requested/required, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

This is some serious shit, and Nauta being ex-military (active-duty military when he met Trump) is going to be extremely damning - as a military valet to Trump, he would have been instructed in how to handle classified information he came across (overhearing conversations, etc).

FyM5d-uWIAsoS_l?format=png&name=large

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I likewise read the entire indictment.  The original issue -- Trump's careless handling of classified material -- ok, that's not good, but there aren't allegations that the classified material wound up in the wrong hands or caused harm to the US or any of our citizens.  So words being bandied about like "espionage" and "treason" aren't valid, imo.  There's no indictment for transferring nuclear codes to Russia, Saudi Arabia, North Korea or whatever.

But you zeroed in on what is damming for Trump (and Nauta).  Counts 32-37, the coverup and conspiracy, where Trump & Nauta conspired to hide documents, lie to investigators and otherwise obstruct the documents investigation.  If the trial proves Trump is guilty of those charges, he's a flat out criminal whose next stop should be the slammer, not a campaign rally.

I am really hoping the trial is televised.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think Trump taking documents is a big deal. The repeated coverup & obstruction, even from his own attorneys…definitely bad. 

Taking TS/SCI information and storing it in your unsecured shitter is a pretty big fucking deal.

Attack plans for Iran? Nuclear secrets? Spy satellite docs? HUMINT???

I'd say that's a big fucking deal dude. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Taking TS/SCI information and storing it in your unsecured shitter is a pretty big fucking deal.
Attack plans for Iran? Nuclear secrets? Spy satellite docs? HUMINT???
I'd say that's a big fucking deal dude. 

In the abstract (gathering your presidential records and some TS material getting scooped up in there) is not really a big deal. We “classify” so much shit that a damned catering menu might end up with a TS label; shit happens. We see this from some of the discussions and FACTS (not wackadoo allegations of a garage in Chinatown or whatever) re Biden and Pence.
If the story had simply been “in a search for classified information, the feds discovered that Biden, Trump, and Pence all had some classified info in their possession, it was promptly inventoried and returned or otherwise secured,” this would be a non-story. Also, the “why” of habit the records matters - if they were gathered to be turned over to a university as part of your official papers for archiving, that’s one thing. But to 1) hold onto them once they are requested, 2) move them around and hide them to keep them from being returned, and 3) USING them for god knows what personal purposes…yes, you’re criming.
  • Hook 'Em 4

• Beau Vine changed the title to Donald Trump indicted (again), the 1000% apolitical news thread (again)
  • blacklab locked this topic