Near collision of Delta airliners

ImissWallyPryor

My daughter (no pics for pervs) texted at 9:54p that her Delta flight (ATL) which was gaining speed on the runway for takeoff came to a screeching halt because another jet had gotten “in front of them,” so they had to return to the gate to have its “brakes checked for over heating” before they could try again to take off. That’s what they were told at the time, anyway.

She was one of a group of medical students returning from a mission trip to Guatemala. She couldn’t see anything from her seat, but after returning to the gate, they were told that in addition to brake repairs, they had blown multiple tires. They deplaned and we’re told to wait for instructions.

Now understand, my daughter has an extremely low level of female drama, so she asked some of her male classmates sitting on the opposite side of the plane if they saw anything, and they all said that their jet came very close to t-boning another Delta jet that appeared to be landing.

I know that no one likes flying these days, but it also seems like there are more air traffic control-related incidents in recent years.

To top it all off, in Delta’s attempt to keep up with AA in the race to the bottom of the airline gutter, they are now telling the passengers that they are rescheduling their flight for 10:26p tomorrow, almost 25 hours later than scheduled.

Delta didn’t succeed in killing my daughter, but they’re going to make her life as miserable as possible in the meantime.

Fuck Delta. Fuck ATC. Fuck flying commercial. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Rage+1 6

Scary incident.

across the board (dal aal ual) I’ve had terrible luck for the past several years with cancelled flights. I think it’s just a thing of not having staffing such that they can bring in a new crew when there is a delay and the old crew times out. Every late flight is a gamble - just last weekend I had a 6:40 aal flight out of Houston canceled day of and I had to quickly rebook on dal.

• Like 1

Glad your daughter is okay. The funny thing about OP’s race to the bottom comment is that Delta is generally considered the best US airline operationally speaking. A near miss on runways is 100% on ATC not any particular airline or their staff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

she asked some of her male classmates sitting on the opposite side of the plane if they saw anything, and they all said that their jet came very close to t-boning another Delta jet that appeared to be landing.

I don't think Hartsfield has any runways that cross each other.  Other plane was taxiing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

This is becoming more and more common (runway incursions). Recall there was a near accident here in Austin recently. Most of the aviation bros I follow on YouTube blame ATC and say a fatal accident related to this seems almost inevitable. 

Sorry if behind paywall but wsj did an article on this a few weeks ago:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airplane-accidents-near-collisions-summer-travel-cc85e3a8

9656E6D2-080F-47DE-B0EC-94374E73425E.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Airport agents have nothing to do with this

The shit the agents have put them through would wear my thumbs to the bone to repeat. They put them on standby on at least 7-8 different flights (one being late Sunday night) before finally getting them on a flight that has them leaving about now. But, they didn’t “release” their tickets, so that didn’t happen. According to an agent this morning, the agent last night lied to them about the closest hotel being 25 minutes away, making it likely they would miss this flight that they missed anyway. The agent this morning said there are 7 hotels surrounding the airport that they could have put them in. This agent also increased their meal vouchers from $15 to $45.

They will be requesting refunds. The Dean of students at her medical school is also getting involved, so that may help.

I know the near accident isn’t likely pilot error, but so far, Delta isn’t doing a bang up job of helping (albeit today’s agent was much better).

Just now, Gil Bang said:

what's gonna be worse; the malpractice of the ATC, or what those guatamalan med students are going to do to patients?

It's less malpractice of ATC and moreso maladministration of that entire arm of our air infrastructure. After making it literally illegal for them to strike for better working conditions, things have slowly gotten worse and more intense and there's not enough people coming up the pipeline to replace all the retirees. 

Nothing will change until we stop trying to wring and exploit every waking ounce of utility out of workers. It leaves no capacity for recovery or basic human dignity. The harder they're pushed, the more likely mistakes like this are to happen. 

It'll probably take a rash of horrible incidents causing hundred to die to do anything about it - just look at how long Boeing was able to keep the MAXs in the air while they knew how unsafe they were. It wasn't until the SECOND plane did a lawndart that they reluctantly admitted it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The shit the agents have put them through would wear my thumbs to the bone to repeat. They put them on standby on at least 7-8 different flights (one being late Sunday night) before finally getting them on a flight that has them leaving about now. But, they didn’t “release” their tickets, so that didn’t happen. According to an agent this morning, the agent last night lied to them about the closest hotel being 25 minutes away, making it likely they would miss this flight that they missed anyway. The agent this morning said there are 7 hotels surrounding the airport that they could have put them in. This agent also increased their meal vouchers from $15 to $45.

They will be requesting refunds. The Dean of students at her medical school is also getting involved, so that may help.

I know the near accident isn’t likely pilot error, but so far, Delta isn’t doing a bang up job of helping (albeit today’s agent was much better).

Blaming the agents for the problems is like bitching at me about something Derka posted.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

As a person who enjoys flying and a Delta loyalist tell her to keep all of her receipts.
Send them an email, explain the issue, attach itemized receipts/invoices, include your address and other details, and ask if they can mail you a reimbursement check. If it's their fault (not the weather etc), they will likely send at least partial reimbursement (they have limits based on each city). Airport agents have nothing to do with this by the way, and don't call, send an email or use the written Contact Us link on the website because they will want copies of receipts.

Side note, tires did exactly what they were designed to do. The brakes overheated due to an overweight, high-speed brake application and the thermal plugs in the tires melted. Thus allowing a controlled tire deflation. Seen this many times during my time in the Air Force.

Glad she's safe!

This is good advice.

Used to be, nobody had to take this kind of initiative or jump through such hoops in order for companies to do the right thing.

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

According to an agent this morning, the agent last night lied to them about the closest hotel being 25 minutes away, making it likely they would miss this flight that they missed anyway. The agent this morning said there are 7 hotels surrounding the airport that they could have put them in. 

If only there was some way to find hotels near the airport.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

ATC everywhere is not great.  This is something the govt should absolutely sort the fuck out.  Investment needs to happen in training and the systems themselves.

The government will jump right on that as soon as it realizes that it is a problem with many citizens dying, a problem that could happen again, and…..wait.  Never mind. 

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I should neg the OP, for causing me mental strife as I am going Delta this afternoon (I am currently accepting thoughts and prayers)

Jesus, I should always have my glasses on at this point - I thought the FAFO handle said ImissWallyFairway!

image.thumb.png.744f54daa179395203fcc60c40e4a1b0.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

ATC everywhere is not great.  This is something the govt should absolutely sort the fuck out.  Investment needs to happen in training and the systems themselves.

Ronald Reagan - Death, Quotes & Presidency

• Rage+1 3

This Delta nightmare never ends. After upwards of a dozen changes to my daughter’s rebooking (and spending the night in the Hartsfield terminal with meal vouchers that never worked), she finally got on a flight to Minneapolis. They printed her a ticket in Atlanta for her final connection. When she tried to board that flight, they told her (and only her) that the ticket printed in Atlanta wasn’t valid, and of course the plane had to depart before the ticket could be corrected. For some reason, Delta made her whole group check their carry-ons, so she is without her toiletries, meds, and contact lens stuff and the shops in the airport were closed. Delta sent her and several other passengers to a really nice Marriott. Unfortunately, they sent them to the wrong hotel, and their options were to pay $300-something themselves and hope for reimbursement or they could return to the airport to get new hotel vouchers. We ended up paying for the room. Tomorrow’s flights are completely booked except for one first class seat they hold her she couldn’t have. She insisted on speaking to someone who could override that rule, and she is supposedly getting that seat.

There is more to the saga, but I have to keep it simple. 

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I used to fly all the time for work. I haven't flown since before covid and I have no desire to do it. It was a shit show in the mid 2000s and sounds like possibly a bigger shit show now. Systems breaking down and all that. 

I flew frequently in the 80s and 90s. Almost never a problem. Even in the 2000s, airline travel was pretty smooth even though I flew less frequently. I’ve flown twice since Covid, getting stranded in DFW in late 2021 then getting rerouted on a flight that originated in D.C. but left my wife and me stranded in Denver in 2022.

The one good thing that might come of this could be that my daughter sees the benefit of picking an ER residency within driving distance from home. 

This Delta nightmare never ends. After upwards of a dozen changes to my daughter’s rebooking (and spending the night in the Hartsfield terminal with meal vouchers that never worked), she finally got on a flight to Minneapolis. They printed her a ticket in Atlanta for her final connection. When she tried to board that flight, they told her (and only her) that the ticket printed in Atlanta wasn’t valid, and of course the plane had to depart before the ticket could be corrected. For some reason, Delta made her whole group check their carry-ons, so she is without her toiletries, meds, and contact lens stuff, and the shops in the airport were closed. Delta sent her and several other passengers to a really nice Marriott. Unfortunately, they sent them to the wrong hotel, and their options were to pay $300-something themselves and hope for reimbursement or they could return to the airport to get new hotel vouchers. We ended up paying for the room. Tomorrow’s flights are completely booked except for one first class seat they hold her she couldn’t have. She insisted on speaking to someone who could override that rule, and she is supposedly getting that seat.
Did she book basic economy tickets? Some of the issues, re-booking of tickets, standby changes, having to check bags, etc... sounds like a basic economy ticket was booked.

If so, this is why you NEVER book basic economy. You have zero freedom under that fare code.

Pro tip: if she can talk to a "redcoat" they are the supervisors of the front-line customer service agents and have some more flexibility when it comes to overriding booking issues. You can find them very easily, as they wear a red coat/jacket, and cruise the terminal from gate to gate. Hope this helps.

This is why you need to book travel with CSR or Amex Plat. Flight delayed 6 plus hours just book your own hotel and get reimbursed up to $500. Bag disappeared? Purchase what you need and get reimbursed. 

Waifing for the airline to do the right thing is unfortunately a fools errand most of the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

This is why you need to book travel with CSR or Amex Plat. Flight delayed 6 plus hours just book your own hotel and get reimbursed up to $500. Bag disappeared? Purchase what you need and get reimbursed. 

Waifing for the airline to do the right thing is unfortunately a fools errand most of the time. 

Tbh it's kind of ridiculous that you need to pick up a credit card and book through them just to have a layer of protection. We should expect more from the people we are trusting to not kill us in the air 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2023 at 1:19 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

My daughter (no pics for pervs) texted at 9:54p that her Delta flight (ATL) which was gaining speed on the runway for takeoff came to a screeching halt because another jet had gotten “in front of them,” so they had to return to the gate to have its “brakes checked for over heating” before they could try again to take off. That’s what they were told at the time, anyway.

She was one of a group of medical students returning from a mission trip to Guatemala. She couldn’t see anything from her seat, but after returning to the gate, they were told that in addition to brake repairs, they had blown multiple tires. They deplaned and we’re told to wait for instructions.

What was this flight #?  Let's see what the data shows...may or may not have been as serious as you think but if they slammed on the brakes it obviously doesn't sound good.

5 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Pro tip: if she can talk to a "redcoat" they are the supervisors of the front-line customer service agents and have some more flexibility when it comes to overriding booking issues. You can find them very easily, as they wear a red coat/jacket, and cruise the terminal from gate to gate. Hope this helps.

No shit? I thought the people in blue were redcoats.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This makes me feel good as we just arrived in Europe and will be returning on Delta through Atlanta in a couple of weeks.

Make sure you say hi to @ImissWallyPryor daughter, because she may still be stuck in the Delta spin cycle and back in Atlanta for better options.

I made it okay, except for the part about being in Detroit. Though it isn't 103°, like Houston.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This Delta nightmare never ends. After upwards of a dozen changes to my daughter’s rebooking (and spending the night in the Hartsfield terminal with meal vouchers that never worked), she finally got on a flight to Minneapolis. They printed her a ticket in Atlanta for her final connection. When she tried to board that flight, they told her (and only her) that the ticket printed in Atlanta wasn’t valid, and of course the plane had to depart before the ticket could be corrected. For some reason, Delta made her whole group check their carry-ons, so she is without her toiletries, meds, and contact lens stuff and the shops in the airport were closed. Delta sent her and several other passengers to a really nice Marriott. Unfortunately, they sent them to the wrong hotel, and their options were to pay $300-something themselves and hope for reimbursement or they could return to the airport to get new hotel vouchers. We ended up paying for the room. Tomorrow’s flights are completely booked except for one first class seat they hold her she couldn’t have. She insisted on speaking to someone who could override that rule, and she is supposedly getting that seat.

I would have cut losses and found a better way home after first fuckup. 

I know it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon but Congress really needs to pass better passenger compensation laws similar to what they have in Europe. Start hitting these airlines hard for at fault delays >2 hours, >3 hours, >5 hours, etc….

Also, don’t ever, ever, ever let an airline check your bag if it contains medicine or other essential travel items. They can’t force you to check your bag unless the bag won’t fit under the seat in front of you AND you have a basic economy ticket or a late boarding assignment AND the overheads are all full. I see staff trying to convince people to check their shit all the time but they can only truly force your hand under a very limited number of conditions.

25 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I would have cut losses and found a better way home after first fuckup. 

That's what I did when I got stuck in Atlanta. I flew to New Orleans on Delta and then American to Austin, the next morning. This was when Delta said they couldn't get us back (near) home for another two days. Of course, I never did get reimbursed for the American flight.

And it was pure BS. The connecting flight was cancelled mid-aid from Costa Rica - if it was cancelled earlier, I could have flown a different airlines. Delta said it was weather but the plane was in Arizona where it was 75 degrees and sunny. They didn't have a flight crew because of weather problems somewhere else in the US. That isn't a weather problem, that is a scheduling problem. The airlines get way too much latitude with the weather excuse. It also took us a week to get our luggage because we were stupid enough to trust the Delta Rep. at international baggage claim who said that she could get us on a flight to Dallas 2 days later but that was the best that Delta could do.

• Hook 'Em 1