GTFO your mobile phone while driving

Armybrat

Worse than being intoxicated.  Driving while distracted significantly worse than driving under the influence.  

I drive a larger truck, so I'm often looking down into people's cars.....I lose my shit every time I see this dangerous nonsense.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

49 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Worse than being intoxicated.  Driving while distracted significantly worse than driving under the influence.  

I drive a larger truck, so I'm often looking down into people's cars.....I lose my shit every time I see this dangerous nonsense.  

I start honking if I see someone texting while driving. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yeah....that doesn't get their attention either.  I've been behind people driving at night without their headlights on (for example).  I flash my brights.  Then flash my lights on and off. Then I honk, doing the light stuff as well.  Nothing.  Zero reaction.  This has happened more than once.  Austin drivers in particular are completely oblivious of the world around them.  They aren't going to look up from their phones.  They aren't going to check their rear-view mirrors.  Nada.

• Hook 'Em 3

I mean, is there a good way to get their attention?  Pit maneuver?  Molotov Cocktail to the windshield.  One of my biggest pet peeves!

Is your text message your sending or your email or your facebook post more important than my life or the lives of those around your car?!

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I mean, is there a good way to get their attention?  Pit maneuver?  Molotov Cocktail to the windshield.  One of my biggest pet peeves!

Is your text message your sending or your email or your facebook post more important than my life or the lives of those around your car?!

I don't think you really want to know the answer to that. 

People have been eating and driving for decades.  I don't personally do it but at least you're usually looking over the hood as you're chewing.  (that's what she said).  

I think we all remember our fathers, or at least mine.  Right hand on the gear shift.  Left hand flicking a cigarette ash out the window even in the Chicago winter.  Coffee or beer between his legs and somehow navigating the steering wheel.  The key was head was up and eyes were constantly evaluating straight ahead, to the sides, and the mirrors.  It was a symphony of madness. 

My three quick notes on this:

-We were taught to walk on the inside of a parking lot aisle, between parents and the parked cars.  Now I put my kids on the outside of me because they're actually more visible to the drivers coming down the lanes and I can protect them from getting backed into by some asshole looking at his phone backing up outta his spot.

-Everybody relies on those sensors, nobody actually looks.  So there's that. 

-The one that absolutely fucking blows me away.  I do "Dad's Club" crosswalk duty at my daughter's elementary about 4-5x/month so the teachers don't have to.  And obviously safety first and all that, but really it's a balance with keeping the lines moving to prevent traffic jams so the kids don't have to slink between cars.  And no jinx, it works pretty well.  But I'm usually the last guy at the end of the dropoff deal (there's 2 lanes and I'm the last man standing).  So I get to see what every parent does in their car before they turn out onto the main road.  Invariably, 50% of them...the moment the kid is outta the car...they start looking down at their phone even though there's one more crosswalk of kids to go (primarily walkers and bikers from the immediate vicinity of the school who hoof it onto campus by themselves or with a parent).  But the moment these kids shut the door, the parent starts idling away, then hits the gas, then takes out their phone.  Does your extramarital affair need to be dealt with at 7:41a on a Tuesday?  It can fucking wait.  Thank god, only had one close-call in 2 years on my end.  And my friend had another pretty serious one on the front end earlier this year where he called out a woman and she ended up filming him and putting him on nextdoor despite her almost killing a kindergartner.    /endrant

• Hook 'Em 4

No, he's too nice of a guy.  But the post was typical Karen shit, "This crossing guard harassed me and threatened me and ahhhhhhh!"  Nobody filmed it because we're too busy holding stop signs and waving our other hand.  But she lost her shit and within hours, he was on nextdoor.  We laughed the next dad's duty.  But then the comments come pouring in about how men like that threaten women in parking lots.  It got weird.  Meanwhile, their kids are in the same class, she didn't even know he wasn't a crossing guard, just a good dad being a good dude for the day.  She eventually removed all the posts but the poor bastard still gets flack for being "that guy."  

For next year in asshole Lobo fashion, going to make like a 18x24 sign laminated that says, "The drop-off lanes are still part of the school zone.  NO CELL PHONES!"  and wave it at people, but I know it'll get complaints even if I only show it to people who are clearly on their phones.  But it's fucking ridiculous.  I fully admit, I'm stuck on Mopac at 5mph, I'm at a stoplight on Guadalupe.  Yeah, I'm probably sneaking a peak.  I'm in a fucking elementary parking lot or school zone?  It can probably wait four fucking minutes.  Unless it's an ass selfie, then all bets are off.  

1 hour ago, Deej said:

"Drive like your kids live here."

What if you really hate your kids?

I drop it into neutral and gun the engine if one of these fucksticks is in the front yard when I drive by.  I don’t speed in residential neighborhoods, but fuck the people who feel the need to put a stupid fucking sign like that in their yard.

Those things kinda work but they sometimes give the parents a false sense of security.  

We live on a quiet little cul-de-sac.  And a lot of the neighborhood comes over when it's nice out ride bikes and scooters and play wiffle ball and we host Halloween and all that.  And the handful of Karens on the street constantly complain to the work crews about their driving and these guys are good in my book.  I have to go mediate in Spanish.  They pay attention to the kids, they know certain times of day are busy, when the sun glare hits, etc.  I don't want to jinx it.  And invariably these couple of Karens, the monent they back outta their driveway, they are on their phones.  Again, I half think it's people talking to affairs they didn't want to talk to inside the house.  

Other thing that blows me away is you have to take a dead end road to the back part of our 'hood.  There's a set of like 4-5 streets up front, then you cross this long land bridge over a creekbed and get to the back 4-5 streets.  And it clearly says "No Outlet".  Then you have to turn onto another cul-de-sac to then turn onto my cul-de-sac. So that's three roads with no hope of making it out alive.  And 2-3x a day, some asshat has to come turn around in our street and they're always looking at their phone for directions because they can't believe three "No Outlet/Dead End" signs didn't up being a shortcut to Valhalla.  

This is what happens when we quit reading maps and start worshipping stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I drove by someone eating a bowl of ramen type noodle soup a few months ago.  

Over the last several years I've seen novel being read, makeup being applied, electric shave, unlimited variations on eating.....

image.gif.1d0eb487b52ef2b3a1d5eddc16371449.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Would it be acceptable to be the train horn asshole if it was to scare the shit out of texting assholes? I almost got one for the on board air compressor, but decided against it. Now I think I could be that douche and wear that badge with pride if it was to fuck with texting pieces of shit.

That may a bridge too far for even my dumbass.

Pisses me off to no end.  You see it all the time with lane drifters.  And even after they jerk back into their lane, they go right back to the mobile telephonic machine.  Sends me into a rage.  I agree, much safer to be in the .08-.15 BAC range than on your fucking phone.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Would it be acceptable to be the train horn asshole if it was to scare the shit out of texting assholes? I almost got one for the on board air compressor, but decided against it. Now I think I could be that douche and wear that badge with pride if it was to fuck with texting pieces of shit.

That may a bridge too far for even my dumbass.

I've always been partial to the "La Cucaracha" horn.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I drop it into neutral and gun the engine if one of these fucksticks is in the front yard when I drive by.  I don’t speed in residential neighborhoods, but fuck the people who feel the need to put a stupid fucking sign like that in their yard.

Let me be the first to say Fuuuuuuuck You you fucking toolbag.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

You are so brave.  The children run, run I say, to their windows to see the man in the loud Mitsubishi.  We ride scooters in your shadow.

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

You have to watch that.  I used to honk at them, until one morning on my way into work I pulled up to pass a car that was weaving around like the driver was really tired.  Not into the other lane, but close sometimes, and hitting the rumble strips on the other side.  As I pulled alongside I looked at the driver to see what was the matter.  It was a fat bitch with the visible IQ of potato, texting on her phone and hollering at the kid in the back seat.  She started to drift my way, so I honked.  Bad move.  She freaked the fuck out and pulled straight at me.  I went to the inside shoulder and gunned it out of her way as she nearly went into the dividing barriers.  She couldn't have missed by more that six inches, at 70 mph.  I don't honk anymore.  I just get past them at the first opportunity and put as much space between us as possible as rapidly as possible.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Who the fuck calls it a mobile phone

Anyone who damn well wants to, that's who.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The lead car in a protected left who is staring at their phone when they get a green arrow gets a "thousand and one" count before I hit my horn. I'm amazed at the number of people who sit behind those idots and don't blare the horn and just wait for them to finally look up. I'm looking at your Walsh Tarlton and Bee Cave.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Clackles said:

Let me be the first to say Fuuuuuuuck You you fucking toolbag.

The people who feel the need to put up a sign deserve to be ridiculed.  Karen’s, all of them.  Your kids ain’t special. I roll through the neighborhood streets at about 20 mph.  Still get the side eye from some people for going too fast.  If it’s that important to you, change the law and make the speed limit in residential neighborhoods 10 mph.  Until that happens, I will obey the law, keep on high alert for kids chasing a ball into the street, and go about my fucking day.  The type of person who feels the need to purchase a painted wood sign and put it in their front yard annoys the fuck out of me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The people who feel the need to put up a sign deserve to be ridiculed.  Karen’s, all of them.  Your kids ain’t special. I roll through the neighborhood streets at about 20 mph.  Still get the side eye from some people for going too fast.  If it’s that important to you, change the law and make the speed limit in residential neighborhoods 10 mph.  Until that happens, I will obey the law, keep on high alert for kids chasing a ball into the street, and go about my fucking day.  The type of person who feels the need to purchase a painted wood sign and put it in their front yard annoys the fuck out of me.

I had a ramp in the street for my kids to jump one day... Guy comes flying in a Civic on the phone and hit the ramp... Part of me was disappointed he didn't hit it with a wheel and get fucked... The other part of me knows he would have driven into my house. 

I'm ok with the kid sign... It's the Karen's yelling at me for going 20 that get me driving around the neighborhood so they can say something g else and I can stop to have a conversation and scare them into calling their husband who tells her to go inside. Thanks, David. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One time I was driving down a four lane highway, straight and flat as hell, with not a single other car in sight for miles.  I slowed down to about 40 mph and wanted to see just how bad trying to text while driving would be.  I couldn't even get my phone unlocked before I started getting nervous as hell and realized this was as bad as advertised.

FUCK.  THAT.  SHIT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Who the fuck calls it a mobile phone

Oh, you'd hate my outgoing voicemail message.  No salutation.  No instructions.  No polite banter.  None of the superfluous bullshit people say on their outgoing VM these days. All it says is: 

"You have reached the mobile telephone number of (state your name)."  90% of people like it.  The other 10% literally leave the message, "What an asshole"  

Oh, you'd hate my outgoing voicemail message.  No salutation.  No instructions.  No polite banter.  None of the superfluous bullshit people say on their outgoing VM these days. All it says is: 
"You have reached the mobile telephone number of (state your name)."  90% of people like it.  The other 10% literally leave the message, "What an asshole"  

Not me. I text you “What an asshole.” That way, you can refer back to my message as necessary.

Yeah, you do text me that an awful lot.  

My two saddest attempts at cell phone technology were I tried to record George Costanza's outgoing answering machine message to the tune of Greatest American Hero but couldn't figure out a way to cut it shorter.  And then I tried Mike from "Breaking Bad & BCS" from Airplane where he says (referring to Ted Striker), "What an Asshole".  Neither worked with the speaker feedback.  So it became the one people know today where I just say "You have reached..."  And in my stodgy, yet commanding, voice...people seem to like it.  I had 

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

People actually have outgoing messages on their cell phone?  Mine just has whatever automated message there was that says the number.  If I actually want to hear any message you leave then you know who I am.  If you don’t know who I am then fuck your message.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Managing Partner at my firm was famous for smoking, drinking, talking on the phone, and doing a manual transmission in his truck, all at the same time.  And he only had two arms and hands.

Nothing against the deceased, but this is my late boss to a "T".

One year before he passed he had a "non-accident" when leaving his house for work he ran off a curve and jumped a ditch because he dropped his phone. Broke his back and lived out his last 10 months in hellacious pain.

NCSB.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it's bad in the neighborhoods - I'm paranoid about my kids riding/walking around by themselves because not a week goes by where I don't see some asshole blow through a stop sign or stop light in our area when I'm out with my kids, or jogging or biking.

Indeed.  The speed limit in our neighborhood is 20mph 24/7.  The main entrance to the subdivision is a 4-lane blvd., with a lot of trees and bushes in the 20-foot-wide median that runs by an elementary school.  Again 20 mph at all times. 

I see cars and passenger trucks pulled over all the time for speeding.  However, there are a ton of new residential developments going on all around us.  The construction crews/heavy equipment like to use the main street as a cut-through to the new developments.  These motherfuckers are constantly doing 40mph+ down the main street.  I've never seen a cop pull over any of them.  It's like they've struck up some deal w/ the contractors. Being that it's summer, there are kids all over the hood.  It's a disaster waiting to happen.