Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

3 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Gangsta rap and wet ass pussy cool.
Shitty bro country, offensive!!!!!!

This is another one of those dumb takes making the rounds. I can easily think both gangsta rap as you call it and this song are stupid and/or problematic. That isn’t a mutually exclusive deal like some of you think it is. Even though it has been drug into the conversation, I’m not sure WAP is on the same level. Offensive to me personally, sure but that’s not on the same level as the issue with the other two examples.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait….your position is that Jason Isbell, who regularly sells out his shows, sells the shit out of his albums and songs that he wrote, and is one of the most acclaimed artists of his generation and genre….wasn’t relevant till Morgan Fucking Wallen covered “Cover Me Up?” WTF? And you claim to be a Texan?

He was plenty relevant 15 years ago.    He was very clearly salty when someone he deemed not worthy is getting attention. A pedestal, I believe were his words.  You’d hope someone so blessed with words would be less transparent, such talent? But the tweets are there. He should cry harder, it might help. 

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Imagine Waylon “backing the blue” 🙄

also was driving earlier and Alabama's “song of the south” came on. 30 years ago you could have a no. 1 country song lamenting the difficult realities of rural life during the great depression but also praising FDR and the New Deal and noting the benefits and necessity of urbanization. If released now they would probably be accused of being communist pedophiles

Shit, Lynard Skynard had a  badass hit song about the evils of cheap guns on demand 48 years ago, don't tell me the south is more southern now than it was in 1975.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I kinda like the small town sentiments in this one. 

Good ole Zip City

Your Daddy was mad as hell
He was mad at me and you
When he tied that chain to the front of my car
And pulled me out of that ditch that we slid into
Don't know what his problem is
Why he keeps sending me away?
Don't know why I put up with this shit
When you don't put out and Zip City's so far away
Your daddy is a deacon down at the Salem Church of Christ
And he makes good money as long as Reynolds wrap keeps everything wrapped up tight
Your mama's as good a wife and mama as she can be
And your sister's puttin' that sweet stuff on everybody in town but me
Your brother was the first born, got ten fingers and ten toes
And it's a damn good thing 'cause he needs all 20 to keep the closet door closed
Maybe it's the 26 mile drive from Zip City to Colbert Heights
Keeps my mind clean
Gets me through the night
Maybe you're just a destination, a place for me to go
Keeps me from having to deal with my 17 year old mind all alone
Keep your drawers on, girl, it ain't worth the fight
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life
You say you're tired of me taking you for granted
Waitin' up 'til the last minute to call you up and see what you want to do
But you're only 15, girl, you ain't got no secretary
And "for granted" is a mighty big word for a country girl like you
I bet that's just your daddy talking
'Cause He knows that blood red carpet at the Salem Church of Christ
Ain't gonna ever see no wedding between me and you
Zip City it's a good thing that they built a wall around you
Zip up to Tennessee then zip right down to Alabama
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine
I get ten miles to the gallon
I ain't got no good intentions

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

It's pretty well established that, unless we're discussing bullet calibers, fatty is one ignorant mother fucker.

I was going to say he’s not that bad, just has some bad takes on certain things because of a different value system.

35 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Meh. Dude can continue to cry in the corner about how unfair the world is and I’ll continue to laugh.  My only hope is he resides in TN. 

Then he just keeps digging on a take that is just plain dumb. Crying in the corner doesn’t describe Isbell at all. He’s literally going head to head with his industry on a lot of his beliefs and values. It has been pretty impressive to see a few (very few) standing up as well or on his behalf. This isn’t a shut up and dribble situation before you go that way, these guys get paid to put their words out for everyone to listen to.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

I was going to say he’s not that bad, just has some bad takes on certain things because of a different value system.

Then he just keeps digging on a take that is just plain dumb. Crying in the corner doesn’t describe Isbell at all. He’s literally going head to head with his industry on a lot of his beliefs and values. It has been pretty impressive to see a few (very few) standing up as well or on his behalf. This isn’t a shut up and dribble situation before you go that way, these guys get paid to put their words out for everyone to listen to.

He can be pro abortion and anti gun all he wants, I couldn’t gaf.  Doesn’t seem to be working out for him on that front (lulz). But crying about putting artists on a pedestal because you disagree with a mistake they made, while drunk, while you were yourself a coke addict/alkie, miss me with that.  It’s bitchmade.  Which has been my opinion the entire time.  

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

His point, you have clearly missed it.

He was pissed because Wallen didn’t stay cancelled.  He was pulled from every station in America.  A year later he’s on every non-rap station, and Isbells pussy hurt and he tweeted about it.  Sort of like, a salty bitch.  

35 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Further pussification of america.
Geezus everyone needs a reason to be offended.
Its shitty bro country. Wgaf.
Hes just a shitty singer. Not gandhi

Gangster rap? The 1990s called and it wants it's culture war talking points back.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

He was pissed because Wallen didn’t stay cancelled.  He was pulled from every station in America.  A year later he’s on every non-rap station, and Isbells pussy hurt and he tweeted about it.  Sort of like, a salty bitch.  

I’m not sure why I’m even bothering, but that isn’t how that went at all. The issue that came up a year later was around him making the appearance at the Opry. The point was bigger than Wallen specifically, it was about the lack of support for black artists by the country music industry and Nashville specifically and how allowing Wallen to pop up onstage in the heart of the industry was a problem.

You might want to try and look through the narrative that you get spoon fed and actually see things from the other side everyone once in a while. You don’t have to agree with them, but at least looking at it from that viewpoint might give you a little more insight into the world.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

The issue that came up a year later was around him making the appearance at the Opry. The point was bigger than Wallen specifically, it was about the lack of support for black artists by the country music industry and Nashville specifically and how allowing Wallen to pop up onstage in the heart of the industry was a problem.

Not sure how this isn’t what I said. Upset WM wasn’t cancelled enough for him.  Threw titty fit on Twitter about fans putting him on a pedestal.  WM explodes.  JI, I’m not mad. I’m donating the money from his success. For real, please don’t say I’m mad. I’m totally not mad. 

• Haha 1

This?
I'm sorry, but the Surly Shitty Music Takes club is getting kind of full, so we're completely out of XL polos...I don't suppose a medium would fit, would it?

Meh. It’s a good enough tune, I definitely enjoyed it at the time. Doesn’t have to be hall-of-fame worthy to be a good song.

FFS, I was just on the road and cranked up Blue Swede’s “Hooked on a Feeling” - the opening “lyrics” of that gem are “oogah chaka oogah oogah!”, so….yeah. Still made me smile listening and singing along.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Yea a dumb take.
Just like its dumb to let any kind of music offend u. Shitty bro country, shitty gangstacrap, shitty wap… all of its stupid.
Man yells at clouds!!!

Shitty WAP?  You, sir, are no Willie Mack Garza.

• Hook 'Em 1

Small town country song:

lyrics

Spoiler
In the tiny town where I come from
You grew up doing what your daddy does
And you don't ask questions you do it just because
You don't climb to high or dream too much
With a whole lot of work and a little bit of luck
You can wind up right back where your daddy was
This little bitty town it ain't nothing new
We all stick around 'cause they all tell us too
Swallow your pride just to make your family proud
If I didn't think that it would shut the whole place down
I'd ride my pony right out of this one horse town
Yeah this one horse town
I'm an old married man at the age of twenty three
Got two little boys on the baseball team
And that might be their only ticket out
All they got is a worn out name
And a daddy that could've gone all the way
But I hung my saddle up and I settled down
This little bitty town, oh it ain't nothing new
Swallow your pride just to make your family proud
If I didn't think that it would shut the whole place down
I'd ride my pony right out of this one horse town
Yeah this one horse town
Oh yeah
This little bitty town, oh yeah it ain't nothing new
Swallow your pride just to keep your family proud
If I didn't think that it would shut the whole thing down
I'd saddle that one horse and ride it right out of this town

I’m an old married man at the age of 23

got two little boys on the baseball team

and that might be their only ticket out

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yea a dumb take.
Just like its dumb to let any kind of music offend u. Shitty bro country, shitty gangstacrap, shitty wap… all of its stupid.
Man yells at clouds!!!

dave-chappelle-chappelle.gif

• Like 1

Wait, are y’all saying that to be a Texan I have to know who Jason Isbell is and to know who music well enough to know that someone else I’ve never heard of covered a song of his??? Now that’s a stupid fucking comment.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

You seem to know a lot of details about something you say you don’t give a shit about

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hate said:

Wait, are y’all saying that to be a Texan I have to know who Jason Isbell is and to know who music well enough to know that someone else I’ve never heard of covered a song of his??? Now that’s a stupid fucking comment.

I always get a kick out of the people that pop in with “who?” comments when referencing well known people. Wait, no I I don’t, it’s dumb.

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Today I leaned that an aroused vagina is basically lynching. 

Welcome to the deep south where sex is taboo and history didn’t actually happen.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 2

Is this the new Kid Rock single?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

He was plenty relevant 15 years ago.    He was very clearly salty when someone he deemed not worthy is getting attention. A pedestal, I believe were his words.  You’d hope someone so blessed with words would be less transparent, such talent? But the tweets are there. He should cry harder, it might help. 

forget everything else - i'm just trying to figure out why you think that Jason Isbell was relevant in 2008 and has dropped in relevance since then?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brew said:

I always get a kick out of the people that pop in with “who?” comments when referencing well known people. Wait, no I I don’t, it’s dumb.

A lot of us grew up on the old-school stuff, we'll flip through radio stations or YouTube or Spotify or whatever, hear the newer stuff, and nope right the fuck out of there.  Our parents did the same thing with our music.

48 minutes ago, Brew said:

Welcome to the deep south where sex is taboo and history didn’t actually happen.

And yet Alabama wrote a hit song about anal sex, 'Dixieland Delight'.

Or maybe it was Starland Vocal Band and 'Afternoon Delight'.

Or maybe both songs were about it, I don't remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A lot of us grew up on the old-school stuff, we'll flip through radio stations or YouTube or Spotify or whatever, hear the newer stuff, and nope right the fuck out of there.  Our parents did the same thing with our music.

And yet Alabama wrote a hit song about anal sex, 'Dixieland Delight'.

Or maybe it was Starland Vocal Band and 'Afternoon Delight'.

Or maybe both songs were about it, I don't remember.

Thought the song was “Ring of Fire.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This?

I'm sorry, but the Surly Shitty Music Takes club is getting kind of full, so we're completely out of XL polos...I don't suppose a medium would fit, would it?

Eh it’s not a great song by any stretch. But it rings true

My mom’s dad was pulled out of school after finishing 4th grade to help his mom dad and older siblings pick cotton on land outside of Mansfield they would lose to the bank anyway. They stayed on as sharecroppers for the man who ultimately got it for pennies on the dollar and he never went back to school. Unfortunately not a unique story

I hate to think of what that land is worth today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

You seem to know a lot of details about something you say you don’t give a shit about

Can follow Twitter posts?

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

No, he's a legitimately ignorant mother fucker.

This is the kind of post that will keep me up at night.  I’ve been posting alongside you for at least a decade, but only recently assured myself you aren’t actually mentally deficient, in a clinical sense.  And if someone as absurdly slow as you are believes I’m ignorant, some reflection is in order. Dozens of posts I’ve held back because I didn’t feel it would be right to engage.  Oof. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Meh. It’s a good enough tune, I definitely enjoyed it at the time. Doesn’t have to be hall-of-fame worthy to be a good song.

FFS, I was just on the road and cranked up Blue Swede’s “Hooked on a Feeling” - the opening “lyrics” of that gem are “oogah chaka oogah oogah!”, so….yeah. Still made me smile listening and singing along.

Somebody told us Wall Street fell, but we were so poor that we couldn’t tell. 
Mama got sick and Daddy got down, the County got the farm and we moved to town. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hate said:

So I just put 2 and 2 together and realized Aldean was the one on the stage during that mass shooting in Vegas. After listening to his music I’m not saying he should have shot all those people, but I understand.

He has to be loving all of this controversy, because up until this controversy, he was known for the Vegas shooting (not his fault, he just happened to be on stage, but it's what he became known for), and recently, for getting heat stroke in New England.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

This is the kind of post that will keep me up at night.  I’ve been posting alongside you for at least a decade, but only recently assured myself you aren’t actually mentally deficient, in a clinical sense.  And if someone as absurdly slow as you are believes I’m ignorant, some reflection is in order. Dozens of posts I’ve held back because I didn’t feel it would be right to engage.  Oof. 

This is probably not the best tactic on this one.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He has to be loving all of this controversy, because up until this controversy, he was known for the Vegas shooting (not his fault, he just happened to be on stage, but it's what he became known for), and recently, for getting heat stroke in New England.

And cheating on/leaving his wife for some chick from a singing contest show. 

Edited by bluto

What I am saying it that it was his fault. I mean, what’s a man to do when confronted by a weekend festival of bro country that reaches its climax with a show by Aldean??
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

he was known for the Vegas shooting (not his fault, he just happened to be on stage, but it's what he became known for)

Spew hatred through your music and who knows what might happen. 

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

forget everything else - i'm just trying to figure out why you think that Jason Isbell was relevant in 2008 and has dropped in relevance since then?

Lulz. In 2008 I was seeing Jason at half empty shows at Mohawk. 

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'd like to welcome @Helobious to my Surly Shitty Music Takes club.  You should receive your membership card and polo shirt in the mail within two weeks.  Please wear polo to all club functions.

Got damn that’s awful.  Also half these people are from Ohio.  Fake accents

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Racist tropes are no big deal guys.  You need to be above giving a shit.  So what some people drop the N word here and there and many think slavery was an internship for some ungrateful fucks?  Whatevs bros!

How’s the 401k?

Edited by Gatorubet

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yes, you dumb fuck, some dumbass country hack blowing racist dog whistles is more "offensive" than making an explicit song about sex.

What are the dog whistles from the song?  Is it one of these?  Which one of these is code for a certain race?  

Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
Carjack an old lady at a red light
Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store