A&M botches hiring of Aggie grad to lead Journalism department because she’s black, leads to President resignation.

TexasEd

Tenured journalism professor at UT offered department head at aggy (her alma mater) but she’s not aggy enough because she worked at NY Times and Texas and they admit to changing the agreed position terms because she’s also black. This leads to the president of aggy resigning. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07/21/tamu-president-resign-journalism/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

56 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Tenured journalism professor at UT offered department head at aggy (her alma mater) but she’s not aggy enough because she worked at NY Times and Texas and they admit to changing the agreed position terms because she’s also black. This leads to the president of aggy resigning. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07/21/tamu-president-resign-journalism/

Fify

• Haha 3

I’m shocked that they had an on campus drag show, but even more shocked that students protested its removal.

Her administration also faced pushback from students after the school decided to cut funding and sponsorship of an annual campus drag show, known as Draggieland

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I’m shocked that they had an on campus drag show, but even more shocked that students protested its removal.

Her administration also faced pushback from students after the school decided to cut funding and sponsorship of an annual campus drag show, known as Draggieland

I'm not.  They have one of the largest LBGTQ library collections in the country

https://liberalarts.tamu.edu/blog/2020/06/26/the-importance-of-the-don-kelly-research-collection-of-gay-literature-and-culture/

https://cushing.library.tamu.edu/programs/don_kelly_fellowship.html

https://www.thebatt.com/news/cushing-unveils-gay-literature-collection/article_fae8df16-d8ee-11e4-a955-4f60ddf00d44.html

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

One of the related articles I read explained how the former president (same one that just resigned) converted all the tenured librarian positions to non-tenured.  Tenured librarians had to take on another role to keep tenure.

I guess that’s one way to “fire” tenured employees.  I’d bet the collections you mentioned played a part.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I still want to know how much of a salary premium A&M had to offer a tenured, black woman to get her to accept.

This.  The Tribune article implies that the aTm offer started as "Tenure Track" and devolved into 5-year contract then 1-year contract.  There's no way she should or would accept a non-tenured position.  That said, "Tenure Track" for a previously tenured professor might just be procedural and the tenure becomes a rubber stamp after a "trial period."

That aside, Texas A&M really screwed this up.  Not that it matters to them, but this sets them back another decade.

The NYT adds some flavor:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/12/us/texas-a-m-kathleen-mcelroy.html

On 7/21/2023 at 8:07 PM, freyguy said:

The ags are turning inside out, and it's hilarious. 

In our time (90s), they internally jeered the corps as an idiotic minority.  Now the die hard red asses are the minority.

This is glorious.

Yea idk.  I’d guess the aggy student body is still pretty conservative 

43 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea idk.  I’d guess the aggy student body is still pretty conservative 

For typical college student standards? Absolutely. Compared to the majority of the Texas population? They're well left of center. Biden won pretty easily among the student population. Granted, a lot of them will stay in Texas, get a job in oil and gas, buy a house, pop out some kids, and eventually become their bass ackwards parents.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

For typical college student standards? Absolutely. Compared to the majority of the Texas population? They're well left of center. Biden won pretty easily among the student population. Granted, a lot of them will stay in Texas, get a job in oil and gas, buy a house, pop out some kids, and eventually become their bass ackwards parents.

Interesting. Where can I see the numbers?  Would be interested to see all university votes

23 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

This.  The Tribune article implies that the aTm offer started as "Tenure Track" and devolved into 5-year contract then 1-year contract.  There's no way she should or would accept a non-tenured position.  That said, "Tenure Track" for a previously tenured professor might just be procedural and the tenure becomes a rubber stamp after a "trial period."

That aside, Texas A&M really screwed this up.  Not that it matters to them, but this sets them back another decade.

The NYT adds some flavor:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/12/us/texas-a-m-kathleen-mcelroy.html

almost to the '50s. The good '50s 😉

I still want to know how much of a salary premium A&M had to offer a tenured, black woman to get her to accept.

She was an aggy grad “going home”. She was probably taking a pay cut to go to her alma mater and unfortunately found out the hard way how much aggy thought of her aggy bonafides.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

It's not entirely clear to me if Banks' resignation was forced because she orchestrated the revised job offers that led to McElroy declining the position and/or the school needed a scape-goat for the bad publicity this fuck-up has been generating.  Or, were others completely behind this and Banks said, "fuck this place, I'm out of here." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I saw on the news last night that Banks will not receive a pay-out or severance package.  They've also started calling it a resignation, when she clearly said retirement.  I don't think that she knew about the revisions and saw that she was going to be the scapegoat.  I think she objected to what was going on and hit the bricks.  Being who and what they are, aggy will smear her for not playing along.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:54 PM, Hammerin Hank said:

"Draggieland" is actually really funny.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I saw on the news last night that Banks will not receive a pay-out or severance package.  They've also started calling it a resignation, when she clearly said retirement.  I don't think that she knew about the revisions and saw that she was going to be the scapegoat.  I think she objected to what was going on and hit the bricks.  Being who and what they are, aggy will smear her for not playing along.

Think you're wrong here.  From the Tribune article: 

"However, Hart Blanton, the head of the university's department of communications and journalism who was closely involved in McElroy's recruiting, said in a statement Friday that Banks interfered with the hiring process early on and that race was a factor in university officials' decision to water down the job offer."

Sounds like Banks was fucking around, and she found out.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

"However, Hart Blanton, the head of the university's department of communications and journalism who was closely involved in McElroy's recruiting, said in a statement Friday that Banks interfered with the hiring process early on and that race was a factor in university officials' decision to water down the job offer."

I admit that I have not seen this.  If this is so, let her keep finding out.

25 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

But this is what Banks says according to the Tribune:  "During that meeting, Banks took responsibility for the flawed hiring process but told faculty members that she did not approve changes to an offer letter that led a prospective journalism professor to walk away from negotiations amid conservative backlash to her hiring."

However, the article also discusses how Banks' tenure as university president has been less than stellar:  "During that time, faculty leaders have passed resolutions calling for more involvement in university decisions, and research leaders on campus raised concerns with her administration’s decision-making. She was forced to walk back the decision to abruptly end the print publication of the university’s student newspaper, The Battalion, after students and alumni protested. Her administration also faced pushback from students after the school decided to cut funding and sponsorship of an annual campus drag show, known as Draggieland."

So maybe this fuck up was primarily hers.  But she certainly wasn't a lone ranger on this one.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

But this is what Banks says according to the Tribune:  "During that meeting, Banks took responsibility for the flawed hiring process but told faculty members that she did not approve changes to an offer letter that led a prospective journalism professor to walk away from negotiations amid conservative backlash to her hiring."

However, the article also discusses how Banks' tenure as university president has been less than stellar:  "During that time, faculty leaders have passed resolutions calling for more involvement in university decisions, and research leaders on campus raised concerns with her administration’s decision-making. She was forced to walk back the decision to abruptly end the print publication of the university’s student newspaper, The Battalion, after students and alumni protested. Her administration also faced pushback from students after the school decided to cut funding and sponsorship of an annual campus drag show, known as Draggieland."

So maybe this fuck up was primarily hers.  But she certainly wasn't a lone ranger on this one.

She absolutely was the woman they hired, and she went and executed on those ideals every stop of the way. Banning drag shows, banning free press, and the faculty all hating her decisions. This exactly as she has been portrayed, imo. She may have fucked up the hire, but she fucked up the hire becuase her power backers were telling her how to handle the hire.

It's like, and stop me if you've heard this before, their academic department is a cesspool of special interests and boosters that demand to have their racist taints licked at every turn. Every accusaiton. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

She absolutely was the woman they hired, and she went and executed on those ideals every stop of the way. Banning drag shows, banning free press, and the faculty all hating her decisions. This exactly as she has been portrayed, imo. She may have fucked up the hire, but she fucked up the hire becuase her power backers were telling her how to handle the hire.

It's like, and stop me if you've heard this before, their academic department is a cesspool of special interests and boosters that demand to have their racist taints licked at every turn. Every accusaiton. 

Racist taints.  No thanks for that thought, Sid.

My taint is the only racist part of my body. Was wiping my ass the other day and he goes “hey did you know Jews control everything and black people will carjack you at a moments notice?”  I was like, “ok taint that’s super offensive. Please don’t say that to my black Jew wife.”

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Won’t they just argue that the state CRT ban requires that they not hire her? The 5th circuit will support that.

The CRT ban did not prevent aggy from hiring her.  It would only affect what policies and programs she might want to pursue that others consider CRT-ish.  But yes, I can see aggy making that legal argument, and the Fifth Circuit saying "yep, sounds good."

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Won’t they just argue that the state CRT ban requires that they not hire her? The 5th circuit will support that.

She’s got a valid Title VII claim for race discrimination in the hiring process if she chooses to pursue it. I can’t see them avoiding a jury but we’ll see if she sues

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

She’s got a valid Title VII claim for race discrimination in the hiring process if she chooses to pursue it. I can’t see them avoiding a jury but we’ll see if she sues

College station jury? Yeah, they’ll agree that she was teaching CRT and the school was legally obligated to not let her set foot on aggy campus. They might even rule that she be deported from the state altogether. The closing argument will just be the Aldean video.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2