Current UT visiting scholar used pen name to write for alt-right websites; now uses real name to do the same thing

Pancho

Would people be complaining if he wrote for left-wing websites?

Edit: whoa, that's a lot of "fuck yous." To he clear, I'm not condoning his abhorrent views. He should be condemned for holding them, just as a progressive professor taking abhorrent stances should be called out for doing so. But this is devolving intona CR cesspool, so I don't expect to get any traction on trying to be even handed.

Edit 2: Yeah, I'm not going to read or respond to all this shit individually. I'll leave it at this:

1) If you would tolerate abhorrent views because the speaker generally aligns with your politics, then that's on you, and I don't care if you give me the finger for calling you out.

2) If you're attacking some other argument that I didn't make, then you're fighting a strawman, so have fun with that and enjoy the circle jerk and internet points.

Edited by Mikey4
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 45

Now now, maybe he wrote about conservative fiscal policy.

Richard Hanania, a visiting scholar at the University of Texas, used the pen name “Richard Hoste” in the early 2010s to write articles where he identified himself as a “race realist.” He expressed support for eugenics and the forced sterilization of “low IQ” people, who he argued were most often Black. He opposed “miscegenation” and “race-mixing.” And once, while arguing that Black people cannot govern themselves, he cited the neo-Nazi author of “The Turner Diaries,” the infamous novel that celebrates a future race war.

dog teeth GIF

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh, it gets better.  He’s apparently an “Arab-American” so another member of the diversity wing of the white supremacist movement ala Nick Fuentes and Icono.

Is English a second language for the professor or were the multiple misspellings under his sock account due to something else? Either way, banner day University of Texas! 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh, it gets better.  He’s apparently an “Arab-American” so another member of the diversity wing of the white supremacist movement ala Nick Fuentes and Icono.

Well let's not dismiss these fellows out of hand. In Mexico and the Middle East they were running caste systems long before the Pilgrims figured out which hole an ear of corn went in. They have accumulated wisdom we could all learn from. Dang it, the sun don't rise and set on the corner cross-burning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

10 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

Would people be complaining if he wrote for left-wing websites?

Edit: whoa, that's a lot of "fuck yous." To he clear, I'm not condoning his abhorrent views. He should be condemned for holding them, just as a progressive professor taking abhorrent stances should be called out for doing so. But this is devolving intona CR cesspool, so I don't expect to get any traction on trying to be even handed.

Very clearly you do support his views. 

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What politically uninvolved people are missing is how vile, pernicious, insidious and anti-American large chunks of the right-wing have become.

This is no longer mere policy disagreement.

This is no longer "we need a new, less liberal immigration policy," it's "immigrants are subhuman and not worthy of American citizenship."  For every benign policy statement like the former, there's an alt-right underlying thought like the latter.  And it's becoming entirely too comfortable to express those ideas publicly.

Violence is the next door neighbor to dehumanization. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'd like to hear more about "abhorrent stances" of progressives.

It’s when a guy uses a bathroom stall, and has a wide stance that results in his foot touching the foot of the person in the stall next to him.  Wait, that’s not a stance of progressives.

I have no clue, maybe it’s in CR.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Rage+1 1

Would this be a good time to remind our truly pro-higher ed posters like MontereyMX, PilotsError, et al. about the Salem Center.  Or the Civitas Institute.  Or the Texas Higher Education Coordination Board (which sits over A&M and UT Boards of Regents alike).  None of these posters ever stop to understand what all of those groups and councils have in common.  None of them have seen fit to engage the genius of our resident fucking morons.  But yet we're the overly-political assholes who can't stop talking about politics and higher education.  Guess why why you feel that's the case?  Because you're not engaged, you're not asked, you're not needed.  But Salem?  Civitas?  THECB?  Dev Board?  McCombs Advisory Council?  University of Austin?  Guess what all these politically tilted organizations have in common besides agendas and interest in Higher Education?  And of you fucking zeroes like MontereyMX or the likes wanna chime in with a guess?  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Is English a second language for the professor or were the multiple misspellings under his sock account due to something else? Either way, banner day University of Texas! 

Does A&M  know about this guy? They have an opening for president.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I was poking around the Salem Center at McCombs which is where the article said Hanania was a visiting scholar.

https://salemcenter.org/our-people/

For some reason (what could it be???), they've killed the "our people" page though I didn't take the time to use the wayback. However I noticed under their podcast section they're promoting a recent one the Salem Center did with Chris Rufo, who's another avowed white supremacist thought leader.

image.thumb.png.a5da4085953fd0f704ef7b55aa5b95c0.png

image.thumb.png.a395231fab4ecaa1dcbae827c287ddea.png

@Mikey4 thinks we can only be outraged at this if we are also outraged that someone wants to tax the wealthy more. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I was poking around the Salem Center at McCombs website which is where the article said Hanania was a visiting scholar.

For some reason (what could it be???), they've killed the "our people" page though I didn't take the time to use the wayback. However I noticed under their podcast section they're promoting a recent one the Salem Center did with Chris Rufo, who's another avowed white supremacist thought leader.

Distressing that UT is involved with this type of crap.

Yeah, I was blissfully unaware of that place until Lobo's post.  One of the first things I saw was an interview with Chris Rufo.

I noped out right then.  That place needs to be detached from McCombs ASAP.  It's one thing to have "think tanks" or whatever that are attached to the University in some form or fashion, but that does not need to be explicitly attached to the business school.

Also, damn I love me some Ken White.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

I was poking around the Salem Center at McCombs website which is where the article said Hanania was a visiting scholar.

Distressing that UT is involved with this type of crap.

jesus fucking christ. Chris Rufo is the guy who's been pushing all the "CRT" culture war shit - like he's literally the author for most of the thought pieces that you'll get linked to to justify their shitty racist views. He was all the rage here on surly a couple years ago

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4