2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

4 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Jerry's 81 years old and he's made $8 billion on his $150 million investment and you're talking tee shirt sales? Jerry would give away a $ billion to win a Super Bowl without Jimmy but he's too football stupid to do it. 

This is fact. The myth that Jerry is only interested in making money is false. He wants to win more than anyone, for his own ego. He just doesn't have a clue how to get it done. So at least he's got his money.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Zero adjustments from McCarthy with the play calling when they were clogging the middle and nobody was open. Same as every other blowout loss. Fuck him, Dak is far from perfect, but he and Romo have had everything destroyed by bullshit coaching. The defense lost yesterday, period. The offenses problem was McCarthy. I’m done with all of it.

You'd think that shithead McCarthy and shithead Quinn don't talk to each other during the game. It's as if a Defensive Coordinator doesn't see what an opposing offense is doing when his D is getting smeared, and he's incapable of relaying a suggestion or two to the OC, in this case McCarthy when he can't get on track. Works both ways.

And FWIW, Bayless, whom y'all despise, repeated a couple of quotes from Trey Lance's past coaches that make him sound like the second coming of Christ. What did Fat Mike do to develop him - to put pressure on Prescott to up his game? I know nothing about him except that I heard one pundit say he was the only highlight in one of our pre-season games this year.

Sorry, but fuck Cooper Rush. Rush him the fuck outta town.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

6 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

You'd think that shithead McCarthy and shithead Quinn don't talk to each other during the game. It's as if a Defensive Coordinator doesn't see what an opposing offense is doing when his D is getting smeared, and he's incapable of relaying a suggestion or two to the OC, in this case McCarthy when he can't get on track. Works both ways.

And FWIW, Bayless, whom y'all despise, repeated a couple of quotes from Trey Lance's past coaches that make him sound like the second coming of Christ. What did Fat Mike do to develop him - to put pressure on Prescott to up his game? I know nothing about him except that I heard one pundit say he was the only highlight in one of our pre-season games this year.

Sorry, but fuck Cooper Rush. Rush him the fuck outta town.

Fucking Greg Olson was telestrating how their defense was different than normal with the two high safeties clogging the middle. So to get Lamb going, he calls a fucking slant right into traffic, pick 6. Dak should have held on to that ball, but at some point, when everyone is covered every play, you have to make a throw. If he takes a sack or throws it away, fans yell that he sucks for not throwing it, without considering that nobody is fucking open because McCarthy got owned and can’t adjust. If I were Dak, I’d beg for a trade.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was looking through gifs of the letterkenny coach to post here or the game thread, but each one of them contains way more emotion than I’ve had for this franchise for 15 years at least. So I abandoned the idea. 

Let's just stick with this:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952y34ebxeyu4xua7v4hs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

What I remember most about McCarthy's hire, was that FJJ didn't interview anybody else (or maybe one or so). In an industry/sport filled with up'n'comers, filled with innovative minds and future hall of fame coaches, that stupid fucking hillbilly hired a coach nobody else wanted without talking to any other candidates. How many fucking years of grief with this fuck who was goddamn out of fucking work - and wasn't going anywhere.

I think the hire came down to the fact that McCarthy came cheap. Seems to me that many years ago I heard an interview with Pete Carroll who interviewed with Jones, maybe when he was leaving UCLA, or thinking about it, but he said that he and Jerry had agreed to everything - set to go, but then the Cowboys came thru with an offer - an offer which Carroll said would have made him the lowest paid coach in the league. He knew right then it was time to cut bait. Jones of course ends up hiring one of those transition groups, maybe Chan Gailey or Dave Campo - complete duds.

Now everyone is talking about Bellichick, a coach who has a major losing record in the NFL in all games without Tom Brady. A coach who couldn't innovate any kind of return for New England post Brady. A coach who told his owner that Brady should be traded, that he was done. (After which, Brady goes down to Tampa and wins another Super Bowl.) I hope FJJ doesn't make the same fucking mistake he made when he hired Fat Fuck.

8 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

What I remember most about McCarthy's hire, was that FJJ didn't interview anybody else (or maybe one or so). In an industry/sport filled with up'n'comers, filled with innovative minds and future hall of fame coaches, that stupid fucking hillbilly hired a coach nobody else wanted without talking to any other candidates. How many fucking years of grief with this fuck who was goddamn out of fucking work - and wasn't going anywhere.

I think the hire came down to the fact that McCarthy came cheap. Seems to me that many years ago I heard an interview with Pete Carroll who interviewed with Jones, maybe when he was leaving UCLA, or thinking about it, but he said that he and Jerry had agreed to everything - set to go, but then the Cowboys came thru with an offer - an offer which Carroll said would have made him the lowest paid coach in the league. He knew right then it was time to cut bait. Jones of course ends up hiring one of those transition groups, maybe Chan Gailey or Dave Campo - complete duds.

Now everyone is talking about Bellichick, a coach who has a major losing record in the NFL in all games without Tom Brady. A coach who couldn't innovate any kind of return for New England post Brady. A coach who told his owner that Brady should be traded, that he was done. (After which, Brady goes down to Tampa and wins another Super Bowl.) I hope FJJ doesn't make the same fucking mistake he made when he hired Fat Fuck.

He likes people who have no other options, they become his yes men. Hell I'd give Bellicheck a shot, he's grumpy enough to probably ignore Jerry's nonsense, but that's precisely why he'd never be hired. Young innovative up and comers are there left and right, he doesn't want that, because they'll get too much credit if they actually make a playoff run. It's truly hopeless unless that entire family dies in a plane crash or something and the team gets auctioned off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

He can hire Carroll, Belichick without anyone batting an eye.  He will have more trouble with hiring Vrabel or Harbaugh.  It's why he hired McCarthy, no one said anything because McCarthy had won a Super Bowl.  This is the most important thing to Jerry and I think it is why he hung on to Garrett for so long.

and again.  McCarthy went to 1 Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers as his QB.  He ain't getting there with Dak.  but since we are stuck with Dak, I'd go hard after Belichick to see if he could put a D(coaches and players) together that could win a Super Bowl.  Carroll might be able to as well.  I'd be down with Harbaugh for the pure circus of it all.

18 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I think that much like his draft strategy, the only way Jerry knows how to make it clear that he’s the genius in charge is to choose someone that nobody else would choose.  Essentially wildcatting coaches and players. 

but you can’t be lucky enough to wildcat an entire football roster and operation and be good enough to win like he wants to win.  

As I'm not a Cowboy's fan, I have to give them a giant thank you for providing us three of the funniest playoff losses of all time, and they occurred three years in a row!  

• Two years ago: The infamous, "who spots the ball/time waits for no one/Marx Brothers ending collapse"

• One year ago: The "Immaculate deception/trick play/Ezekiel Elliott/butt dumble ending tragi-comedy"

• This year: The "Apocalypse Wow/Extinction Level Event massacre"

Jenn-Loss.jpg 

3 hours ago, DougO said:

This is fact. The myth that Jerry is only interested in making money is false. He wants to win more than anyone, for his own ego. He just doesn't have a clue how to get it done. So at least he's got his money.

You are the fan that jerry loves!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 3

I got rid of my emotional connection to the Cowboys several years ago once I realized a bunch of moron hillbillies were in charge. Wins or losses have minimal impact on me.

When they hired McCarthy I thought for sure he was just another rube. Three straight 12 win seasons says he’s not a total idiot, but the post season performances show he’s nothing special. He’s losing with pretty good talent. 

Dak is a great QB when there’s not much pressure. He’s a terrible QB with pressure. There are fifty QB’s out there with a similar profile. 

The only move that would hold any interest for me is hiring Harbaugh. That dude would bring the toughness the franchise needs.  Short of that happening, I may not even watch games anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s interesting to watch the Steelers and just the difference in the organizations. 

They were down big to start, but their defense stepped up, didn’t commit penalties, and had some pride. 

Completely the opposite of the Cows. Just such a difference in cultures. If Dallas doesn’t get out to an easy lead, they kinda just stop doing work and they pout. 

Pitt will probably lose, but have to respect how they care to fight. 

Edit: also, fuck the Steelers. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
Fuck them
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

It’s interesting to watch the Steelers and just the difference in the organizations. 

They were down big to start, but their defense stepped up, didn’t commit penalties, and had some pride. 

Completely the opposite of the Cows. Just such a difference in cultures. If Dallas doesn’t get out to an easy lead, they kinda just stop doing work and they pout. 

3 coaches since 1969 says a lot as well.  

7 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

lol. 

• Like 1

I get that Dak’s contract is a huge burden. It’s “no trade” and “no franchise tag”. To sign Lamb and Parsons, they’re going to have to extend him (and pay him more) to make room under the cap. 

If they wanted to rebuild, they’d like to start by trading Dak, but he is in charge on this. 

Question- can they tank? Can they just not pour money into new salaries? Can they trade other players for draft picks? Can they let the OL get so bad that Dak wants them to trade him?

I know Jones wants to win now, but all he is setting up now is a series of disappointments like this year. Would tanking let them get out of this?

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Fucking Greg Olson was telestrating how their defense was different than normal with the two high safeties clogging the middle. So to get Lamb going, he calls a fucking slant right into traffic, pick 6. Dak should have held on to that ball, but at some point, when everyone is covered every play, you have to make a throw. If he takes a sack or throws it away, fans yell that he sucks for not throwing it, without considering that nobody is fucking open because McCarthy got owned and can’t adjust. If I were Dak, I’d beg for a trade.

Ain't no one trading for an average QB making $59M next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Dak sucks dude. 

He just throws strait into coverage if that’s the play. McCarthy sucks too don’t get me wrong. 

Baker fucking mayfield and some guy named Dave Canales are just dog walking philly right now. 

next week the 49rs offense is going to have the backup qb in by halfway though the 4th against GB defense. It’s going to be a tune up game. 

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The tickets get sold. The real estate continues to appreciate. The TV money comes rolling in. Jerry rescued this franchise from the gotterdamerung it was headed to with latter Murchison and Bum Bright.

He is not the only the field shitting, Dak was. He wasn’t fucking up, parsons was. He doesn’t call plays.

He has a personnel staff with his son and will McCain with 9 fucking pro bowlers, a top qb, a top WR, talented o linemen, which performed in season. Got a 2 seed. Shit the bed again. Jerry had nothing to do with that. That’s on Mike, Quinn, the position coaches, and the team leaders. It’s not working. Jerry needs to realize it’s endemic in the culture going back to Wade. And he’s an enabler of it. His attitude, his lack of accountability for players, the poshness of the Star. Softness.

Id like to see a driver like vrabel and a new qb, a top Qb coach, a dc focused on the modern game.

Counterpoint: Almost 30 years of ineptitude and there is ONE common factor.

It ain't Dak.

It ain't McCarthy.

It ain't Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't think that's actually true. It's close, but it's missing one thing.

Jerry wants to win more than anyone so long as he can take the credit for it. He doesn't want to win a Super Bowl if the price is a coach who can take a substantial part of the credit. And that's why we're stuck in Groundhog Day. It all comes back to Jerry's malign influence. In their best playoff losses, they're just that critical bit off, like a person with an abnormal heartbeat. In their worst playoff losses, they have no heart or real work ethic. 

After three decades of Jerry's World, all you can really do is just laugh it off.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

I don't think that's actually true. It's close, but it's missing one thing.

Jerry wants to win more than anyone so long as he can take the credit for it. He doesn't want to win a Super Bowl if the price is a coach who can take a substantial part of the credit. And that's why we're stuck in Groundhog Day. It all comes back to Jerry's malign influence. In their best playoff losses, they're just that critical bit off, like a person with an abnormal heartbeat. In their worst playoff losses, they have no heart or real work ethic. 

After three decades of Jerry's World, all you can really do is just laugh it off.  

When all the other teams lost, did their owner even talk about it publicly? Nope.

When the Cowboys lost, every camera and microphone was pointed in Jones direction.

The circus has just become so normalized that we don't even point out the obvious absurd shit anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

What's confounding to me is that Jerry made his money wildcatting. He has a reputation as a very good businessman. You'd think a guy with that profile would be accustomed to pushing his chips all in and taking big swings. But he's consistently shown himself to be extremely risk-averse in his management of the team. Safe coaching choices like Garrett and McCarthy and letting them hang on too long because the team is posting decent regular season records. Perpetually kicking the contract can down the road for his favorite players instead of making the hard decision. Where's the sense of ruthlessness?

This is what happens when you have an entire organization in service to one person's ego.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What's confounding to me is that Jerry made his money wildcatting. He has a reputation as a very good businessman. You'd think a guy with that profile would be accustomed to pushing his chips all in and taking big swings. But he's consistently shown himself to be extremely risk-averse in his management of the team. Safe coaching choices like Garrett and McCarthy and letting them hang on too long because the team is posting decent regular season records. Perpetually kicking the contract can down the road for his favorite players instead of making the hard decision. Where's the sense of ruthlessness?

This is what happens when you have an entire organization in service to one person's ego.

A successful wildcatter told me years ago that a wildcatter needs three things to succeed:

1) Trust in his own judgment, even or especially when everyone else says he is wrong;

2) Comfort with public failure; and

3) a knack for getting access to other people’s money

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

It's a multifaceted shitstorm. You have a meddling owner who undermines his head coach constantly but he's not going anywhere until he heads across the rainbow bridge. You have a QB who has amazing stats in the regular season but falls apart in the playoffs that is so entangled in your cap that getting rid of him destroys your cap space but also extending him can help you financially but saddles you with him instead of being able to move on. You have a head coach who is like the QB. He possibly only won previously because of a franchise QB at the last stop. But he's also a 12 win coach every year.

I think the only real path forward is to get better on defense. Quinn needs to go regardless. If he doesn't get a head coaching position, move him out. The defense was more to blame for the loss. You seem pretty set on offense but need to retool the defense more. Maybe a new scheme will be helpful. Who knows. I don't see much hope for this franchise but it's interesting to try to figure out how to improve it. But as we've seen the pieces constantly change except for one. And maybe it all goes back to that. 

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

A successful wildcatter told me years ago that a wildcatter needs three things to succeed:

1) Trust in his own judgment, even or especially when everyone else says he is wrong;

2) Comfort with public failure; and

3) a knack for getting access to other people’s money

The issue with all of that is if you are a wildcatter who punches enough dry holes  because you have a lot of trust in your wrong decisions you are never to be heard from again. 

You own a piece of an acknowledged  monopoly it’s harder to make you go away for your shitty decisions. 

Per Stephen A Smith, Aaron Rodgers called McCarthy a buffoon. Per CBSSports.com

The story also states that Rodgers got tired of seeing his receivers run the same routes all the time, which only happened because McCarthy refused to change his offense. To fix things, Rodgers apparently decided to start changing the plays that McCarthy was calling on the field, which happened nearly one-third of the time. 

Basically, things got so bad that receivers weren't sure if they should run the routes that McCarthy had called or if they should run the routes that Rodgers had called. That led to an ugly situation in November involving Equanimeous St. Brown. 

The site also directs to an interesting post from Sean McGown:

D3U6MpjV4AA7Jq1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tfoolry said:

This, in a nutshell, is your problem. Most NFL owners don't even talk after a loss. They certainly don't gather reporters around to watch them blubber nonsense like some Hemingway satire called "The Old Jackass and Yet Another Lost Football game." Almost anyone has more sense than that. But Jerry simply cannot help himself--he's a camera-seeking missile. His ability to do this is sooooo much more important to him than the fate of his team on the field, and it always will be.

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

This, in a nutshell, is your problem. Most NFL owners don't even talk after a loss. They certainly don't gather reporters around to watch them blubber nonsense like some Hemingway satire called "The Old Jackass and Yet Another Lost Football game." Almost anyone has more sense than that. But Jerry simply cannot help himself--he's a camera-seeking missile. His ability to do this is sooooo much more important to him than the fate of his team on the field, and it always will be.

Seriously, the playoffs don't even really start until the Cowboys are eliminated.... 

Both sides of the ball were outcorched.  Fans in the stands were stunned and could not get into the game from the beginning.  Most had brought out the anointing oil and put Dallas in a rematch with SF in the NFC title game.  Again, something HC should be taking care of.

Would McCarthy get hired as a HC if he were let go?  

5 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Honestly if this team is in playoff contention come Thanksgiving and I can watch em with my family, I'm happy.

Anything else seems like a pipedream. 

Tell me you were born in the 90’s without telling me you were born in the 90’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Per Stephen A Smith, Aaron Rodgers called McCarthy a buffoon. Per CBSSports.com

The story also states that Rodgers got tired of seeing his receivers run the same routes all the time, which only happened because McCarthy refused to change his offense. To fix things, Rodgers apparently decided to start changing the plays that McCarthy was calling on the field, which happened nearly one-third of the time. 

Basically, things got so bad that receivers weren't sure if they should run the routes that McCarthy had called or if they should run the routes that Rodgers had called. That led to an ugly situation in November involving Equanimeous St. Brown. 

The site also directs to an interesting post from Sean McGown:

D3U6MpjV4AA7Jq1.png

9 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Both sides of the ball were outcorched.  Fans in the stands were stunned and could not get into the game from the beginning.  Most had brought out the anointing oil and put Dallas in a rematch with SF in the NFC title game.  Again, something HC should be taking care of.

Would McCarthy get hired as a HC if he were let go?  

I don't think he'd be in football if Jerry hadn't called him three seasons ago. I don't think anybody would hire him now either. (All that said, I'd take what Rodgers says with a grain of salt. I don't think he needs to be challenging anybody else's IQ level.)

The defense needs a serious talent infusion. Our LB's were TINY this season once LVE, who wasn't exactly Mike Singletary, was forced to retire. We don't have a run-stopper In the middle of the line. Our DB's are suspect or boom-or-bust (Bland/Diggs). Parsons either tires himself out by the end of the season or playoff teams just scheme him better. He was non-existent Sunday.