Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

3 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

Einsatzgruppen tactics. 

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 10.59.34 AM.png

It feels like a lot of people are talking about these 40 babies based on one tweet that went out. That's a bunch of babies for one community. Are we talking about newborns here? Are all their parents dead too I assume? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

What The Wtf GIF by MOODMAN

Hey, I was just saying it was a pretty good interview between 2 people who don't really care for each other much and were able to have a 14 minute conversation without straying from the topic much at all.  Sometimes seeing disagreeable people present a well-rounded opinion (that was nowhere near what you are thinking it is I'm saying) about a topic gives me hope that somehow, someway, we'll eventually climb out of the shit slinging phone booth we've been stuck in.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

It feels like a lot of people are talking about these 40 babies based on one tweet that went out. That's a bunch of babies for one community. Are we talking about newborns here? Are all their parents dead too I assume? 

Still a lot not known. A French journalist appears to have confirmed some babies were beheaded. Didn't say 40. The details will come out at some point, I suppose. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

actually it's not a payment it's frozen assets and transfers out of US (effectively) controlled banks must be made directly to humanitarian expenses.  money is fungible so if this goes to food, food money can be diverted to hostage taken sure, but we did not pay off Iran for hostages.

But that frees up Iran to divert money from their current budget sources to pour into promoting/financing terrorist attacks like this one.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Two carrier battle groups.  Yea I'm sure that's just for Gaza. 

Oh No Help GIF by The Swoon

Fun fact-the composition of a typical CSG's supercarrier and her accompanying surface and sub-surface vessels with standard sailing ranges between the ships.  Put them all in a straight line at safe range.  Then multiply that by 2 CSG's.  That's a column wider than the Gaza Strip itself.  Meanwhile, our JV equipment is still helping Ukraine winning against Russia.  Oh, right, right.  We totally gutted our military and lost our force posture, totally forgot about that 'everybody is saying that'.  These squadrons can shoot down shit at 65,000 feet, fly 2,000 miles round-trip without refueling, never mind the missile capabilities of the 2 DESRON squadrons from off-shore.  But yeah, totally ignore Russia---they had nothing to do with this.  This is all to handle the geographic footprint and military might of Kuwait.  If most Americans just had a printed atlas lying around the house, about half the disinformation going on would already be a non-issue.  

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

He probably sees what assholes are doing in the name of his teachings and said, "Fuck them, they deserve what they do to themselves."

Well, for millennia-we've explained it away as "all part of his plan", "the answers come in his time", or "he has other concerns besides our petty land wars."   But this is about to become the largest even in the Holy Land since the birth of his Son.  I know he's busy helping players score touchdowns and help politicians win elections.  But if ever there was a time to clue us in, it's coming in the next several weeks. 

The Revelation isn't the End of the World.  The revelation may be that we're about to find out that he dropped us off here awhile back and simply forgot to come back and pick us up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Hey, I was just saying it was a pretty good interview between 2 people who don't really care for each other much and were able to have a 14 minute conversation without straying from the topic much at all.  Sometimes seeing disagreeable people present a well-rounded opinion (that was nowhere near what you are thinking it is I'm saying) about a topic gives me hope that somehow, someway, we'll eventually climb out of the shit slinging phone booth we've been stuck in.  

For all it's faults, Morning Joe and Scarborough are a guilty pleasure of mine. The gif was more meant that I'm sorry I missed the interview and am intrigued to know more. 

• Like 1

This whole thing is the plot from a book I picked up at the airport.  Main character has to save the day from Russia generals trying to detonate a suitcase nuke in the ME to draw the Americans back into a drawn out campaign with Israel and divert resources from Ukraine.  I just fucking read this a few months ago.  

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Two carrier battle groups.  Yea I'm sure that's just for Gaza. 

Oh No Help GIF by The Swoon

I just read we haven't had a carrier in the Persian Gulf since 2020. I guess it was faster to get a second carrier to the Eastern Med than the Persian Gulf. Same article (from August) said we were starting to build up forces in the region again with Iran continuing to harass shipping in the straight. Article said we were stationing A-10s, F16s, and F35s at Al Dhafra air base in the UAE. Also a MEU was en route in August, so I assume it's there now. 

I wonder if our F35s and Israeli F35s can network together with American AWACS and ECM aircraft?  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This whole thing is the plot from a book I picked up at the airport.  Main character has to save the day from Russia generals trying to detonate a suitcase nuke in the ME to draw the Americans back into a drawn out campaign with Israel and divert resources from Ukraine.  I just fucking read this a few months ago.  

There's probably 400 airport books with roughly that plot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yes yes, we've all read James Patterson and Lee Child, you're not alone dude

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, statsman said:

It is tempting to hold back the $6B from the US, headed to Iran. Problem is- Hamas has US hostages. That money was payment for freeing US hostages from Iran and I’m sure they have no problem linking the current hostages to any U.S. response. 

I wonder how the IDF handles hostage situations- is there a triage of those that can be rescued? Those that are deemed lost?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Payment" is the wrong word.  It's $6B of frozen Iranian assets.

2 hours ago, troph said:

actually it's not a payment it's frozen assets and transfers out of US (effectively) controlled banks must be made directly to humanitarian expenses.  money is fungible so if this goes to food, food money can be diverted to hostage taken sure, but we did not pay off Iran for hostages.

23 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

But that frees up Iran to divert money from their current budget sources to pour into promoting/financing terrorist attacks like this one.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Which I acknowledged. 

6 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Exactly.  It’s fungible.  

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Sorry, I missed that.

Carry on.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF - Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up Kindergarten Cop GIFs

Fuck.  Take this shit to the cloak room.  (Also, FWIW, per today's WH press briefing, not a penny of those funds have been spent.)

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is no basis for a rational foreign policy, but here we are. *second carrier group transits the Med*

Older, large gentlemen of leisure on the southern beaches of Cyrus looking out over the horizon, "Great...boat people." 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

2023 world looks like a neo-con wet dream. 

Yeah, a sub-thread for somewhere other than DT.  But this just elevated the profile and libido of a certain political contender formerly lost in the shuffle.  Get Turkey and Iran into that pot, and brother----you got yourself a stew!