Biff Poggi Is Tired of Your Shit

closetojumping

A few more funny facts:

Mr. Salt-of-the-Earth Cut-off Wifebeater was a hedge fund manager and made a fortune. He's personally wealthy.

He was the head coach for 20 years at Gilman, Baltimore's premier lax bros and horse girls country club high school.

He then went to St. Frances Academy and used his own money to do this:

Until Poggi came along. It’s important to note here that, on top of being a football coach (and a former collegiate offensive lineman, himself), Poggi is also quite rich. He made millions as a hedge fund manager and he generously pours his own money into the St. Frances program. He pays the salaries of the coaches (including former Colt Stan White), he pays the tuition for his players, he even pays for off-campus housing. But why would a local Catholic school need off-campus housing? There’s the rub. While the majority of the kids in the program are recruited from Baltimore, there’s a not insubstantial number who are recruited from all over the country: Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and so on. So St. Frances has become a school where boys with ambitions of playing Division I college football and, ultimately, the pros can come to learn from Poggi and the coaching staff, get free room and board, and showcase their talents on a national stage.

Which was so successful that no high school in Maryland would play IMG North.

He also apparently uses his own money to help finance the Charlotte football program.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3

Now, as for the 49ers:

All of this nonsense is a feature of Charlotte banking money feeling desperately insecure about their gleaming Atlanta v2.0 being a bland, featureless midmajor city with no cultural draw to speak of. The Triangle and Triad have the state's universities, symphony, and major art museums.

Hence, renaming the athletic programs from UNC Charlotte (sounds like a community college, obviously in Chapel Hill's shadow) to just Charlotte and pumping money into the football program as a billboard for students. A blockhead hedge fund manager trying to act like a "real football guy" is the perfect avatar for the institution.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The nickname is confusing to me and had to look it up. The San Francisco 49ers is about the California Gold Rush of 1849. Charlotte's mascot is a miner and also uses 49ers but having nothing to do with mining, or it kind of does, but not really. Here's from their website. Weird af.

THE 49ERS NICKNAME

The "49ers" nickname was chosen in recognition of the importance of the year 1949 in the history of the University.

UNC Charlotte, which began as an off-campus center of the University of North Carolina, would have ceased to exist in 1949 had Bonnie Cone and her supporters not convinced the N.C. Legislature that Charlotte needed a permanent institution of higher learning. Charlotte College was established that year, with the nickname “Owls” in an homage to the College’s beginnings as a night school.

It is fortuitous that the University campus is located on N.C. Highway 49 and that Charlotte has a rich gold mining history, but neither are the inspiration for the nickname.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like this guy a lot, he's basically on the career path I was thinking up the other day:

1) Get rich

2) Go to a shitty school that plays at a low level and be their benefactor

3) Take over the AD

4) Hire people strictly off of surly and crowd source the AD

5) Profit. 

I think Sam Houston would be a good school to try this out on, but apparently Charlotte already has taken the bait and we just need to convince them that we could do it better. I think in the world of NIL there is gold in them thar hills.  If you are a billionare who can't buy a major league franchise it seems like this kind of thing would be an awesome and amazing ego boost. I feel like a 50M investment could have Sam Houston kicking UH ass in 5 years or something if the right people did it.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think Sam Houston would be a good school to try this out on, but apparently Charlotte already has taken the bait and we just need to convince them that we could do it better. I think in the world of NIL there is gold in them thar hills.  If you are a billionare who can't buy a major league franchise it seems like this kind of thing would be an awesome and amazing ego boost. I feel like a 50M investment could have Sam Houston kicking UH ass in 5 years or something if the right people did it.

I'm just here for the accounting/misuse of gov't funds scandals that NIL are going to unleash in the not to distant future.

I remember reading this fluff piece about him in the Athletic when he was at Michigan. 

https://theathletic.com/3771847/2022/11/08/michigan-biff-poggi-jim-harbaugh/

Many expected that the 2021 season would be Harbaugh’s last at his alma mater. What has happened since then has been the biggest turnaround in college football.

So what the heck changed in Ann Arbor?

It started with Harbaugh hiring a more energetic staff in 2021, including six new assistants. But ask folks inside the program, and they’ll point to the arrival of one staffer in particular.

He’s a guy even the most die-hard fans probably wouldn’t recognize. His name is Biff. He’s 62, and he may be the most interesting man in coaching right now.

Or maybe it's the rampant cheating? Nah, I'm sure it's the former hedge fund manager who told personal stories about his family to unite the offensive coaching staff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

That sideline rant... I'm 100 percent on board. 100 percent. Do your fucking job and once the job is successfully done then talk your bullshit. 

Hilarious CTJ was taking a snobbish run at this dude and he's wealthier than all of us. Probably combined. 

BTW if he decides to bail on Charlotte after the season someone send them Gideon's resume. 

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I like this guy a lot, he's basically on the career path I was thinking up the other day:

1) Get rich

2) Go to a shitty school that plays at a low level and be their benefactor

3) Take over the AD

4) Hire people strictly off of surly and crowd source the AD

5) Profit. 

I'm always grateful that Boone didn't exercise as much control as he could have over the years, but it seems like a pretty good gig if you're really rich, but not rich enough to buy an NFL franchise, which is like $6-7 billion these days, and most new purchases are by ownership groups and not individuals. If I had the cash, I'd become a major donor to the University of Tulsa, completely redo the stadium, make them change the nickname and mascot, invest in NIL like SMU style, and pay a damn good coach a bunch of money to make them regular winners of the AAC and maybe participants in the new playoffs. I bet I could get them close to the 30,000 capacity for a bunch of games a year. They've tried all sorts of campaigns that don't really pan out, I'd invest enough money to make it work. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm always grateful that Boone didn't exercise as much control as he could have over the years, but it seems like a pretty good gig if you're really rich, but not rich enough to buy an NFL franchise, which is like $6-7 billion these days, and most new purchases are by ownership groups and not individuals. If I had the cash, I'd become a major donor to the University of Tulsa, completely redo the stadium, make them change the nickname and mascot, and pay a damn good coach a bunch of money to make them regular winners of the AAC and maybe participants in the new playoffs. I bet I could get them close to the 30,000 capacity for a bunch of games a year. They've tried all sorts of campaigns that don't really pan out, I'd invest enough money to make it work. 

image.png.dec7762927e71ea3d81d6a476e9ef9ee.png

Just now, JMFP said:

image.png.dec7762927e71ea3d81d6a476e9ef9ee.png

Pete still has some Boone money in the coffers and other millionaires have stepped up, I don't think any one person could achieve the type of influence I'm talking about in Stillwater. I'm talking about being the Jerry Jones of TU, everything goes through me, for better or for worse. Deal with it you broke as mofos.

Personally wealthy so you don't have to pay him too much - check

OL experience - check

by all accounts a meathead - check

history as a head coach - check

abrasive personality - check

and to put the cherry on top of this:

played for Jackie Sherrill at Pitt!!

This guy sounds like a lock to replace Addazio at the end of the season

• Haha 3
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Biff Poggi is the Head Coach at Charlotte. He's done as well there in his inaugural season as his name would imply. 

Things started off well this summer when he was only asked 3 questions at the AAC Media Days. See for yourself:

Don't let that suit fool you. That's not normally how he rolls. In fact, this is how you can find him on the sidelines (and simply most of the time he's awake):

Charlotte's Biff Poggi suspends 'a number of players' after loss to FAU -  The Athletic

Now, I don't mean to sound like some sort of snob, but I cannot imagine having someone dressed like that representing my alma mater on television. It has to be a disgusting embarrassment for anyone with a Charlotte degree that's paying any attention. College football is the front porch of your university? Charlotte's front porch has a fat old man, nearly shirtless and reeking of cigarettes, body odor, and Jim Beam, holding a shotgun in a rocking chair and screaming obscenities at anyone who walks by and steps anywhere near his lawn. I assume they're seeing applications to the school plummet this fall. 

But, with this guy getting away with looking like that, they must suddenly be kicking ass on the field, right? Hardly. Charlotte is 2-6 with a win over FCS/D2/HBCU whatever it is South Carolina State and East Carolina (10-7). Tom Herman and FAU just buttfucked them in public last Friday night, 38-16. 

It gets comically worse, however. This guy has lost his shit in multiple interviews this season. He came unhinged again last Friday night with a sideline reporter, ranting about his players, between the 3rd and 4th quarter of the FAU beating: 

In the aftermath of that game, the guy has gone on to suspend a large portion of his team, students on scholarship at the university, for performance. Not doing something against team rules, or something criminal, or for slacking academics, no, this guy is suspending starters on his 2-6 team for performance. 

It's hard to feel bad for this asshat in any way, shape or form. He was a henchman on Jim Harbaugh's staff after leveraging a star player, Blake Corum, to get that gig. How he was interviewed and someone at Charlotte thought "Yeah, I'll risk my career trajectory on this guy for this job, here and now." is beyond my reach. They were also talking to Barry Odom at the time, and passed on him for this lackey of Jim Harbaugh's. Odom wound up getting the UNLV job and only already has that program bowl eligible in year 1. 

Anyway, I'm simultaneously flabbergasted and entertained that this guy has a gig and is actively imploding. Charlotte goes to 3-6 Tulsa with a bunch of suspended guys staying home, then they host 6-2 Memphis, 4-4 Rice and finish at 4-4 USF. If this guy closes out 2-10, and I'm in the admin at Charlotte, I'm cutting my losses and sending his fat old ass back to Ann Arbor. 

Looks like he could run for senate in Penn, (No CR).

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I'm always grateful that Boone didn't exercise as much control as he could have over the years, but it seems like a pretty good gig if you're really rich, but not rich enough to buy an NFL franchise, which is like $6-7 billion these days, and most new purchases are by ownership groups and not individuals. If I had the cash, I'd become a major donor to the University of Tulsa, completely redo the stadium, make them change the nickname and mascot, invest in NIL like SMU style, and pay a damn good coach a bunch of money to make them regular winners of the AAC and maybe participants in the new playoffs. I bet I could get them close to the 30,000 capacity for a bunch of games a year. They've tried all sorts of campaigns that don't really pan out, I'd invest enough money to make it work. 

Biff can have Charlotte and you can have Tulsa. I'd take my billions and restart the Pepperdine program. Now that is a campus to rule.

65b1cd36e8f6fbd25cb5ecb4d8587a0f.jpg.web

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2