THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

Sure. But that's a totally different thing than being left out entirely.
We are never going to have a platonically perfect system. It sucked in 2003 when our defending national champion baseball team was forced by the committee to go on the road to #1 seed Florida State but hey we won. It was shitty and disrespectful but we were given a chance. That's a fuck of a lot better than what Florida State is being given this year in football. I bet they wish all they were bitching about was their seeding.

Well sure. I personally don’t believe FSU did any better/more than Ohio State or Georgia. I think Oregon would beat them too. With Travis playing. In my opinion they won them all because the challenges were limited.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing-new-college-athletics-subdivision-rooted-in-direct-athlete-compensation-145051537.html

Big realignment stimulator.

"Of the many recent changes in college athletics, the most transformative — and revolutionary — may be on the way.

NCAA president Charlie Baker is planning to introduce this week a proposal to create a new subdivision within Division I that grants certain schools more autonomy around policy-making and permits them to compensate athletes in a new and profound way.

In a letter sent to Division I members, and obtained by Yahoo Sports, Baker outlines a groundbreaking and radical change to the NCAA Division I athletics model, describing it as a “new forward-looking framework.”

According to Baker’s proposal, schools that choose to be part of the new subdivision — they can opt in or out — are required to meet a strict minimum standard rooted in athlete investment....

Florida St didn’t get screwed, bamboozled, hoodwinked, etc, they didn’t get picked simple as that. Everyone knew ahead of time this committee was gonna pick four teams they think are the best. Florida St without Travis loses to most of the top 15. They’re literally double digit dogs to UGA. Committee got it right

Playoff announcement 

Nobody knew the result in advance. There was plenty of confidence Texas was in but there were still some nervous moments until the last second. I think the team’s reaction said it all. 

The room where everyone gathered just opened last week and that was the first time the team gathered there. That was their first breakfast there. I don’t know if it was intentional, but now every time they eat there they’ll remember the feeling of making the playoffs. 

From IT

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

You hope they go and smoke Georgia?

Well, I hope Sofia Vergara knocks on my door and demands to pleasure me in every room of my home, and in every position and way I can think of, from now until New Year's, taking breaks only to cook amazing South American meats for me.

Yeah, mine might be a little selfish, be at least it isn't completely impossible.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

All of these FSU fans acting like the system is against them need to shut up and enjoy the Orange Bowl. They don't care to remember that they've been controversially given the benefit of doubt plenty of times. In 1993, they were awarded a natty over a Notre Dame team with the same record that beat them head-to-head and an undefeated West Virginia team. In 2000, they got to play in the natty against OU over a Miami team with the same record that beat them head-to-head. In 2014, they got to play in the playoff despite playing an incredibly weak schedule and barely scraping by their opponents every week, while a conference champion TCU was left out. In other words, FSU should spare everyone of their sob story. The system has favored them many times, but it didn't this time, and they can't stand it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, horn009 said:

All of these FSU fans acting like the system is against them need to shut up and enjoy the Orange Bowl. They don't care to remember that they've been controversially given the benefit of doubt plenty of times. In 1993, they were awarded a natty over a Notre Dame team with the same record that beat them head-to-head and an undefeated West Virginia team. In 2000, they got to play in the natty against OU over a Miami team with the same record that beat them head-to-head. In 2014, they got to play in the playoff despite playing an incredibly weak schedule and barely scraping by their opponents every week, while a conference champion TCU was left out. In other words, FSU should spare everyone of their sob story. The system has favored them many times, but it didn't this time, and they can't stand it.

One-loss FSU ranked ahead of three undefeated P5 teams AND a one-loss Notre Dame that beat them head-to-head... crazy to imagine a poll like this happening today.

image.png

On 11/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, texastroubadour said:

Unless GA is annihilated by Bama they’re getting one of the four spots

On 11/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, Hondo said:

Alabama or Georgia will be in, possibly both if Alabama beats UGA in a close game.

On 11/21/2023 at 6:59 PM, HRSchenker said:

We need Washington to win and Florida State to lose. If that doesn't happen we're fucked.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

some of y'all still want Bama to win out so you can have a UGA/UT fight for fourth. You're fucking crazy for wanting that battle....

On 11/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, Jewish Wang said:

A 12-1, 2-time defending champ UGA with 22 wins in a row prior to getting knocked off by Bama absolutely gets in over us. You’re crazy if you think otherwise. 

I suspect a UM or OSU team that didn’t make its CCG does not. But I don’t know that. 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:02 AM, LebongJames said:

I see no way Bama winning helps us at this point. It’s pretty straight forward in my opinion.

On 11/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, TexEx15 said:

Adding additional detail to my previous version of this post.

Georgia win. Michigan win. Washington Win. Texas win. Florida State loss.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

On 11/26/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jewish Wang said:

Nothing good comes from a Bama win, and they have zero shot of winning a blowout. Any Bama win is likely the worst thing that would happen to us other than an FSU win. 

On 11/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

This thread is gonna be a fun read next week 

lol-no.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lol, half of those don't say what you think they say. I was consistent that the SEC was going to be in the playoffs. That was correct. FSU got fucked instead of Texas, but somebody besides the SEC was getting fucked

lol, you wanted Georgia, full stop. Eat your crow bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The FCS gives autobids to conference champs and IS STILL A BEAUTY PAGEANT for their at large teams…just like the basketball tournament. Just nobody nationally cares about those left out since the field is already bloated.

The NFL gives bids to their division champs and sets criteria for their wildcards. That is not a beauty pageant but that can’t be done the same way in college football, because FBS does NOT have the same parity as the NFL. To do this the P4 would need to breakaway from the G5 at a minimum to limit the field and then maybe you could get close to NFL scenarios but with salary caps, a draft, transfer portal restrictions it’s still not going to be close to the same.

How many years before they change to a 16 team field, or maybe have a 14 team field with the next 4 teams in a 2 game playoff for the last 2 spots?

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Ohio State is fucking ridiculous. They are never down or bad. Their worst years are the ones they lose to Michigan but still win 9 games.

The overall shit play in the Big 10 has a lot to do with that. I think people forget - prior to Harbaugh taking over at Michigan, Michigan hadn't done shit since about 2000 or so, which means the Big 10 has been a 1 horse town for two decades

We should also not confuse TV contract values with quality of play. If we were to remove the TV contract values from the conversation- no one in their right mind would say the Big 10 should be part of an upper tier league that breaks off from the rest of the sport.

Edited by redswingline
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

lol, you wanted Georgia, full stop. Eat your crow bitch.

I'm a Clemson fan, you weirdo. I fucking HATE Georgia. See below and go flex somewhere else. 

On 12/2/2023 at 5:40 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yes. You're right and h2h should matter. Maybe that will force an undefeated conference champ fsu out. But there is zero chance that the sec gets left out. 

On 12/2/2023 at 5:43 PM, Huckleberry said:

No matter how many times you say it, it's still dumb. You think they won't leave out the SEC. That's nowhere close to 100%.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ranking the most-watched college football programs in 2023

The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week for a 12-week season.

Streaming numbers are included if available. Games with no available data are counted as zero.

1. Ohio State — 5.55M
  2. Alabama — 5.08M
  3. Michigan — 4.78M
  4. Colorado — 4.50M
  5. Georgia — 3.95M
  6. Texas — 3.61M
  7. Florida State — 3.58M
  8. Notre Dame — 3.46M
  9. Penn State — 3.31M
  10. LSU — 2.85M
  11. Southern Cal — 2.83M
  12. Washington — 2.68M
  13. Tennessee — 2.67M
  14. Oklahoma — 2.40M
  15. Nebraska — 2.39M
  16. Florida — 2.12M
  17. Auburn — 2.074M
  18. Oregon — 2.067M
  19. Texas A&M — 2.062M
  20. Oregon State — 1.74M
  21. Mississippi — 1.71M
  22. Clemson — 1.70M
  23. Missouri — 1.63M
  24. Iowa — 1.60M
  25. Utah — 1.53M
  26. Michigan State — 1.48M
  27. Wisconsin — 1.45M
  28. TCU — 1.42M
  29. Maryland — 1.41M
  30. Minnesota — 1.37M
  31. Louisville — 1.36M
  32. Miami FL — 1.33M
  33. Duke — 1.32M
  34. UCLA — 1.25M
  35. Kansas — 1.24M
  36. BYU — 1.21M
  37. Indiana — 1.18M
  38. Iowa State — 1.15M
  39. Oklahoma State — 1.14M
  40. Arkansas — 1.13M
  41. West Virginia — 1.09M
  42. Washington State — 1.08M
  43. Kentucky — 1.04M
  44. Rutgers — 977K
  45. North Carolina — 966K
  46. Texas Tech — 950K
  47. South Carolina — 900K
  48. Illinois — 862K
  49. Mississippi State — 839K
  50. Colorado State — 814K
  51. Kansas State — 810K
  52. Georgia Tech — 766K
  53. Syracuse — 703K

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Do you think you made a point? You were still wrong. There was not zero chance.

I absolutely made a point. My point was that the SEC was going. That was my argument. Whether it's wrong or not is not the point I'm making now. The point I'm making now is I wasn't crowing for Georgia in and Texas out like the face painter was going on about. 

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I absolutely made a point. My point was that the SEC was going. That was my argument. Whether it's wrong or not is not the point I'm making now. The point I'm making now is I wasn't crowing for Georgia in and Texas out like the face painter was going on about. 

You said Bama would go above us and that Georgia could potentially knock out Texas for the 4 seed. You were completely wrong, Georgia was never seriously considered and Texas was very clearly in front of Bama. The only thing you got right was that Bama made it. Stop trying to polish your turd. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I agree they almost certainly wouldn’t leave the SEC out,  but if UGA won the committee wasn’t bumping FSU for us.   It would have been real clean at that point to just take the 4 undefeated, plus our biggest win would have taken a serious hit.  We needed the 1 loss door opened one one of the 3 games beside PAC, and a UGA win took 1/3 of our paths away 100% of the time. 

Edited by Treefidy

11 hours ago, dec3169 said:

How many years before they change to a 16 team field, or maybe have a 14 team field with the next 4 teams in a 2 game playoff for the last 2 spots?

I don’t think it will anytime soon, but that’s just my opinion. I think it will hold like this until the next major realignment in 2035 (FSU).

Between conference consolidation and a possible DI split I see the SEC/B1G being satisfied with 3-4 spots a year.

Just think how different next year will be. Texas/OU in the SEC would have added losses and bumped a school like Mizzou or Ole Miss out of the top 12. Same goes for UW/UO in the Big Ten removing Iowa/Pedo as well. SMU’s two loss season would be part of the ACC bumping Louisville down and Arizona would be battling K State, Okie St, Utah, Kansas, Iowa St for the Big 12.

I don’t think we need major debates on how many 3 loss teams or G5 teams are being left out, so this model should hold for some time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:
On 11/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, Hondo said:

Alabama or Georgia will be in, possibly both if Alabama beats UGA in a close game.

What exactly is your point?  Alabama is in and there was quite a bit of talk about how "if the committee is going with the '4 best teams', that's got to include Georgia."

The SEC champ was never going to be left out of the playoff.  Ever.

I get that being right on an internet message board must be a big win for you, but try not to hurt yourself patting yourself on your virtual back.  You're a rare combination of dork and douchebag.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kanell said that if you're just going to put the 4 best teams in then Georgia and tOSU should be in over Texas and UW.

I was like... okay bro.

Yeah, no.  What an idiot.  Texas beats Bama by two scores in their own house and then the Fighting Sabans beat Georgia in what is essentially a home game for the Dawgs, but Georgia is better than Texas?  I mean, your whole point in that whiny clip was about "on-field" results, right?

Ok Danny.  You do you man.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, Hornlover said:

Your problem is that you believe everything they've said about their selection criteria. There's no reason to take anything they say at face value. 

They were always going to admit the SEC champ. It became extremely inconvenient that it was Bama, because there was no way they'd be able to put Bama ahead Texas. So they had to move both of them in front of FSU. If it had been Georgia, then FSU would have been admitted and Texas would have been left out. 

The Jordan Travis injury just became a convenient excuse. 

Wrong. If Jordan Travis had remained healthy then undefeated FSU would’ve been in. They would’ve been ranked ahead of 1-loss Texas. And what would’ve really chapped your gears was that 1-loss Alabama would’ve gotten the 4th slot by virtue of having a better loss than Texas had. The committee has demonstrated in the past that the quality of a loss counts against a team more than the quality of a win benefits them. Plus given the history of the playoff, not to mention both the playoff’s and the SEC’s partnership with ESPN, a 1-loss SEC champ isn’t going to be left out. That’s part of why Texas is joining the SEC, right? It would’ve been a tough pill to swallow but UT would’ve swallowed it, knowing they were going to be part of ESPN’s favorite conference going forward.

Texas fans would scream that it was totally unfair to rank Alabama ahead of them since Texas won the head-to-head matchup, all while forgetting that 99.9% of them thought TCU got screwed out of the playoff in 2014 when in fact it was Baylor whom they should’ve been arguing for since they’d defeated TCU head-to-head that year. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Texas fans would scream that it was totally unfair to rank Alabama ahead of them since Texas won the head-to-head matchup, all while forgetting that 99.9% of them thought TCU got screwed out of the playoff in 2014 when in fact it was Baylor whom they should’ve been arguing for since they’d defeated TCU head-to-head that year. 

Not too many Texas fans cared one way or the other between Baylor and TCU.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

i mean, i have no recollection of Texas fans arguing for TCU or Baylor in 2014 - or really caring at all coming off getting the shit kicked out of us 48-10 by TCU like a week before the rankings came out.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

i mean, i have no recollection of Texas fans arguing for TCU or Baylor in 2014 - or really caring at all coming off getting the shit kicked out of us 48-10 by TCU like a week before the rankings came out.

I remember when this happened, and I didn’t give any kind of fucks whether or not one of those shitty schools got into the playoff.  

The only similar situation where I kind of sympathized was when Okie Lite got left out of the BCS national championship game, but that was more because I didn’t want to see a rematch for the MNC.  Fuck Boone Pickens and his refs.

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wrong. If Jordan Travis had remained healthy then undefeated FSU would’ve been in. They would’ve been ranked ahead of 1-loss Texas. And what would’ve really chapped your gears was that 1-loss Alabama would’ve gotten the 4th slot by virtue of having a better loss than Texas had. The committee has demonstrated in the past that the quality of a loss counts against a team more than the quality of a win benefits them. Plus given the history of the playoff, not to mention both the playoff’s and the SEC’s partnership with ESPN, a 1-loss SEC champ isn’t going to be left out. That’s part of why Texas is joining the SEC, right? It would’ve been a tough pill to swallow but UT would’ve swallowed it, knowing they were going to be part of ESPN’s favorite conference going forward.

Oh fucking bullshit. Texas fans didn't give a shit about either TCU or Baylor. Fuck them both. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This is an awesome theory, but did you notice Texas was seeded  above Bama? That kind of makes this entire post seem like complete BS.. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

1.  Fuck Baylor

2.  Why the hell is this thread still chugging along?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1