Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

I watched last year's game with UW. It was a super close game. Worthy dropped 2 touchdown passes on 2 consecutive plays. No sacks on Penix. 7 point win. Neither of the 2 things mentioned in the last 2 sentences are going to happen this time around. 

I'll be interested to see the chess match between Deboer and Sark. They are both at the top of their historical games.

That being said:

We're going to kick their ass.

If you want to feel some confidence, watch last year's game, and the Tech and OSU games from the end of this year.

UW troll idoits: Bring it bitches.

roddy piper chew bubblegum and kick ass GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 11:12 PM, ousux said:
On 12/19/2023 at 10:04 PM, troph said:
I’ll admit. We just finished watching pulp fiction like 30 mins ago. I’m feeling a little bit of the Wolf, Jules pre-divine intervention, and maybe a few others. Not quite Samurai sword Butch or Marcellus with a shot gun though.

Damn, just reminded me I'm running out of time. Pulp Fiction is one of my once a year movies I have stashed on an SSD. 2001 a Space Odyssey, The Fifth Element, Blade Runner directors cut and Apocalypse Now are in there as well but already watched.

Good list, but I will raise you one 13th Warrior.

Ask rival coaches in the Pac-12 about Washington, and almost all come back to the same larger point about this Huskies team: They just know how to win.

That seems like it would be an obvious point, considering two of the four teams in the College Football Playoff are undefeated and the other two are 12-1. But this vibe goes a little deeper for Kalen DeBoer’s team.

ADVERTISEMENT

The nine Pac-12 coaches The Athletic interviewed for this scouting report, who were granted anonymity in exchange for candid opinions, admitted they expected Oregon to beat Washington in their rematch in the Pac-12 Championship Game. And yet, once again, the Huskies found a way to win.

The power of belief, resiliency and complete buy-in is a real thing in sports, especially with college teams.

Scouting the team chemistry: ‘It’s the biggest thing’

“The biggest thing with these guys is that they know how to win,” said one Pac-12 offensive line coach. “Look at how many close games they’ve won. That’s really cool. They keep grinding, believing. Honestly, I thought Oregon would get after them (in the rematch). I was surprised. You gotta give those guys a lot of credit.”

“They’re on a 20-game win streak,” said a Pac-12 wide receivers coach. “We tend to forget that. It wasn’t always pretty, but they found a way to win. It’s hard to win games. That’s a true testament to their culture and the players in that locker room who have ice in their veins.”

Over the past two years, the Huskies are 10-1 in games decided by a touchdown or less and 9-0 vs. Top 25 teams. DeBoer is 11-1 all-time against ranked opponents. Another Pac-12 O-line coach said he was “shocked” when Washington, almost a 10-point underdog, beat Oregon again.

“It felt like those last three or four games they were holding on,” he said. “But then, they went out and whipped Oregon. It takes a lot of balls to win the way they’re winning. There’s something to be said about that. I think (DeBoer) is such a damn good football coach. I would not count those guys out.”

“They just have a special chemistry with all the pieces aligning,” said a Pac-12 defensive analyst. “I think they have this special camaraderie with all the vets on their team who decided to come back for one more year.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting the offense: ‘It just keeps humming’

After having the nation’s No. 113 offense in yards per play in 2021, the year before DeBoer took over, Washington improved dramatically last year to No. 10 and led the country in passing. In the offseason, Nick Saban tried to hire offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb, who opted to remain in Seattle, and things have kept humming for the Huskies. They’re up to No. 5 in yards per play and again lead the nation in passing. They’re also third in plays of 30 yards or longer with 41.

“They can score on anybody,” said one Pac-12 head coach. “That’s where they’re dangerous. They take a ton of shots downfield.”

“They’re so well-coached and do such a good job with formations and protections,” said a Pac-12 defensive analyst. “It’s very difficult to effectively blitz them. Credit to those coaches for making it so difficult with the way they position their receivers, tight ends and running backs in a non-normal alignment. They shift all over the place pre-snap.

“They’re one of the slowest operations in our conference. If you are bringing pressure, they get to a look that kinda blocks it up. They build those shot opportunities with all their shifts, dummy hard-counts. They get you on your heels because you’re always trying to adjust.”

USATSI_21332186-scaled.jpg

QB Michael Penix Jr. was the Heisman Trophy runner-up. (Joe Nicholson / USA Today)

Scouting Michael Penix Jr.: ‘Ridiculously accurate’

In Michael Penix Jr., Washington has a strong-armed quarterback playing with a lot of confidence. Penix is connecting on 66 percent of his passes, and that’s with a lot of tough downfield throws. His TD-to-INT ratio is 33-to-9.

“It’s really impressive how tight that ball spins coming out of his hand and with all the different throws he can make,” said the defensive analyst. “He takes a lot more downfield throws. He’s as talented a quarterback as I’ve seen with touch on the ball.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“He gets it out fast and I thought he was ridiculously accurate down the field,” said a Pac-12 line coach. “It’s like a lot of those throws he makes are indefensible.”

“There’s not a throw he can’t make,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. “That thing spins, man. It’s nice, light, catchable. Does a good job of buying extra time, sliding around and he has so much trust in his guys.”

It’s also hard to choose which is the better group Penix is working with between the O-line and the receivers. Both are elite and make rival coaches gush.

Scouting the WRs

In Rome Odunze and Ja’Lynn Polk, the Huskies have two 1,000-yard receivers. Odunze, who clocked a 4.34-second 40-yard dash and a 4.19 pro agility shuttle time this offseason, has 81 receptions for 1,428 yards and 13 touchdowns. Polk has 60 catches for 1,000 yards and eight TDs.

But the most dynamic of the Huskies’ big three is Jalen McMillan, who was slowed by a knee injury this season and has 34 catches for 468 yards and three touchdowns. McMillan looked ready to roll by the end of the season, as he led the Huskies in the Pac-12 title game with nine catches for 131 yards. In 2022, he led the team with nine TD grabs and also had 1,098 receiving yards.

McMillan, who has a baseball background, tracks the ball incredibly well. He also has elite short-area quickness. Polk has exceptionally strong hands and makes a lot of plays against double coverage. “He’s their muscle,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. Odunze is ultra-competitive and is terrific after the catch.

“Rome is very good at contested catches and he is really physical at the top of the route,” said the defensive analyst. “They’re all so good at the battle for the ball. They’re causing DBs to get PIs (pass interference).”

Germie Bernard, a sophomore transfer from Michigan State, is another weapon.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They feed off of each other,” said the receivers coach. “Bernard’s playing well too, and he’s good in the return game or they’ll hand it to him and run sweeps. Any of them can beat you. The other thing a lot of people don’t talk enough about is what they do up front. The last two years they have been just as good as anyone.”

Scouting the O-line: ‘Incredibly athletic’

Washington allowed just 11 sacks in 13 games and ranks No. 2 in the FBS, behind only Oregon, in sack rate allowed at 2.2 percent, per TruMedia. Left tackle Troy Fautanu was honored with the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12’s top offensive lineman. At 6 feet 4, 315 pounds, Fautanu is a 400-pound bencher who ran a 5.1 40 and vertical-jumped almost 30 1/2 inches.

“Their O-line is incredibly athletic,” said the defensive analyst. “Fautanu is extremely athletic and plays with tenacity. He has a real edge.” Right tackle Roger Rosengarten, at 6-6, 300 pounds, is also really good and considered a terrific technician. Parker Brailsford, a 6-2, 280-pound redshirt freshman, made second-team All-Pac-12 at center.

A Pac-12 offensive line coach said Fautanu and Rosengarten are the best two tackles in the Pac-12, particularly as it pertains to pass protection, but he did also note that the Huskies will be facing much bigger and better D-lines in the Playoff.

“I don’t think they’ve played a defensive front like what they’re about to see (with Texas),” said the coach. “The best front we have in the Pac-12 was UCLA and then probably Oregon, but they’re not what Texas and Michigan have, or probably what Alabama has.”

Scouting RB Dillon Johnson: ‘He’s become the difference’

The other underrated aspect of the offense is Dillon Johnson, their running back, who is third in the Pac-12 in rushing with 1,113 yards and 14 TDs. In games against ranked opponents, the Mississippi State transfer averaged 108 yards per game.

“They’ve become so much more balanced in the last month,” said one Pac-12 head coach. Johnson has rushed for 683 yards and eight TDs in the past five games.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He runs so hard,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. “He has really good balance. He’s always moving forward, getting four and five yards a pop on first down. To me, he’s become the difference.”

Scouting the defense: ‘Not dominant, but still solid’

The defense, ranked No. 67 in yards per play (up from No. 70 last year), is not what it was the last time Washington made the CFP in the 2016 season, when Vita Vea and Greg Gaines anchored a stout front and Budda Baker led a star-studded secondary.

“It ain’t like they have those freak shows they used to have back there, “ said a Pac-12 offensive line coach. “They’re not dominant on that side of the ball, but they’re still pretty solid. (Bralen Trice) is a really good player. Take away what his stats say (8.5 TFLs, five sacks), he is really disruptive and shows up on tape. He can line up anywhere.”

Trice, a junior, is probably not quite as well known nationally as the other edge player, Zion Tupuola-Fetui (“ZTF”), but he is the player most of the competition worried about more. Trice was named a first-team All-American by Pro Football Focus.

ZTF is 20 pounds lighter, but he’s still a slippery guy to block. He broke out in 2020, making seven TFLs and three forced fumbles in a pandemic-shortened season that was only four games for Washington. This year, he’s made five TFLs and three sacks.

“The ends are really good,” said another Pac-12 O-line coach. “They’re physical and big. They’ll get after you. Their inside guys are just stout. If you just want to take ’em on straight, they can lock on you.”

The leader of the defense is sixth-year former walk-on Edefuan Ulofoshio, who has 83 tackles and six TFLs. He’s missed only nine tackles, according to Pro Football Focus. “He’s super smart and is their quarterback,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers Alphonzo Tuputala and Carson Bruener are also very solid. “I think they’re OK at linebacker, better than average … and average in the secondary,” said a Pac-12 head coach.

“If you’re looking for a weakness on the defense, we thought it was their corners,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. “If your front can protect, they can be had.”

Another Pac-12 receivers coach agreed that the Huskies cornerbacks are where they’re probably most vulnerable, though he did say that he thinks “they’re good around them.”

Washington did allow the most plays of 30 yards or more in the Pac-12 (26), which ranked No. 123 in the country. It’s something Steve Sarkisian, with a strong-armed quarterback and a dangerous group of receivers in his own right, will definitely look to exploit.

Who wins: Washington or Texas?

Most of the coaches we spoke to said they could see this one going either way but leaned toward Texas.

“I think Texas will present different problems for them that teams in our league couldn’t,” said a Pac-12 head coach. “Those two inside guys (T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy) are a lot better than any (defensive tackles) in the Pac-12, and I don’t think Washington is particularly strong there.

“They’ll be able to disrupt things for Washington’s offense and a lot of their stuff is shots down the field that are long-developing plays. Penix isn’t going to have time. I also think Sark and his receivers can take advantage of a secondary that we didn’t think was very good at all.”

plain text:

Spoiler

Ask rival coaches in the Pac-12 about Washington, and almost all come back to the same larger point about this Huskies team: They just know how to win.

That seems like it would be an obvious point, considering two of the four teams in the College Football Playoff are undefeated and the other two are 12-1. But this vibe goes a little deeper for Kalen DeBoer’s team.

ADVERTISEMENT

The nine Pac-12 coaches The Athletic interviewed for this scouting report, who were granted anonymity in exchange for candid opinions, admitted they expected Oregon to beat Washington in their rematch in the Pac-12 Championship Game. And yet, once again, the Huskies found a way to win.

The power of belief, resiliency and complete buy-in is a real thing in sports, especially with college teams.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER

Big 12 coaches on Texas vs. Washington: 'The best Texas team' in years

Scouting the team chemistry: ‘It’s the biggest thing’
“The biggest thing with these guys is that they know how to win,” said one Pac-12 offensive line coach. “Look at how many close games they’ve won. That’s really cool. They keep grinding, believing. Honestly, I thought Oregon would get after them (in the rematch). I was surprised. You gotta give those guys a lot of credit.”

“They’re on a 20-game win streak,” said a Pac-12 wide receivers coach. “We tend to forget that. It wasn’t always pretty, but they found a way to win. It’s hard to win games. That’s a true testament to their culture and the players in that locker room who have ice in their veins.”

Over the past two years, the Huskies are 10-1 in games decided by a touchdown or less and 9-0 vs. Top 25 teams. DeBoer is 11-1 all-time against ranked opponents. Another Pac-12 O-line coach said he was “shocked” when Washington, almost a 10-point underdog, beat Oregon again.

“It felt like those last three or four games they were holding on,” he said. “But then, they went out and whipped Oregon. It takes a lot of balls to win the way they’re winning. There’s something to be said about that. I think (DeBoer) is such a damn good football coach. I would not count those guys out.”

“They just have a special chemistry with all the pieces aligning,” said a Pac-12 defensive analyst. “I think they have this special camaraderie with all the vets on their team who decided to come back for one more year.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting the offense: ‘It just keeps humming’
After having the nation’s No. 113 offense in yards per play in 2021, the year before DeBoer took over, Washington improved dramatically last year to No. 10 and led the country in passing. In the offseason, Nick Saban tried to hire offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb, who opted to remain in Seattle, and things have kept humming for the Huskies. They’re up to No. 5 in yards per play and again lead the nation in passing. They’re also third in plays of 30 yards or longer with 41.

“They can score on anybody,” said one Pac-12 head coach. “That’s where they’re dangerous. They take a ton of shots downfield.”

“They’re so well-coached and do such a good job with formations and protections,” said a Pac-12 defensive analyst. “It’s very difficult to effectively blitz them. Credit to those coaches for making it so difficult with the way they position their receivers, tight ends and running backs in a non-normal alignment. They shift all over the place pre-snap.

“They’re one of the slowest operations in our conference. If you are bringing pressure, they get to a look that kinda blocks it up. They build those shot opportunities with all their shifts, dummy hard-counts. They get you on your heels because you’re always trying to adjust.”

QB Michael Penix Jr. was the Heisman Trophy runner-up. (Joe Nicholson / USA Today)
Scouting Michael Penix Jr.: ‘Ridiculously accurate’
In Michael Penix Jr., Washington has a strong-armed quarterback playing with a lot of confidence. Penix is connecting on 66 percent of his passes, and that’s with a lot of tough downfield throws. His TD-to-INT ratio is 33-to-9.

“It’s really impressive how tight that ball spins coming out of his hand and with all the different throws he can make,” said the defensive analyst. “He takes a lot more downfield throws. He’s as talented a quarterback as I’ve seen with touch on the ball.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“He gets it out fast and I thought he was ridiculously accurate down the field,” said a Pac-12 line coach. “It’s like a lot of those throws he makes are indefensible.”

“There’s not a throw he can’t make,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. “That thing spins, man. It’s nice, light, catchable. Does a good job of buying extra time, sliding around and he has so much trust in his guys.”

It’s also hard to choose which is the better group Penix is working with between the O-line and the receivers. Both are elite and make rival coaches gush.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER

SEC coaches on Bama vs. Michigan: Can the Wolverines score on the Tide D?

Scouting the WRs
In Rome Odunze and Ja’Lynn Polk, the Huskies have two 1,000-yard receivers. Odunze, who clocked a 4.34-second 40-yard dash and a 4.19 pro agility shuttle time this offseason, has 81 receptions for 1,428 yards and 13 touchdowns. Polk has 60 catches for 1,000 yards and eight TDs.

But the most dynamic of the Huskies’ big three is Jalen McMillan, who was slowed by a knee injury this season and has 34 catches for 468 yards and three touchdowns. McMillan looked ready to roll by the end of the season, as he led the Huskies in the Pac-12 title game with nine catches for 131 yards. In 2022, he led the team with nine TD grabs and also had 1,098 receiving yards.

McMillan, who has a baseball background, tracks the ball incredibly well. He also has elite short-area quickness. Polk has exceptionally strong hands and makes a lot of plays against double coverage. “He’s their muscle,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. Odunze is ultra-competitive and is terrific after the catch.

“Rome is very good at contested catches and he is really physical at the top of the route,” said the defensive analyst. “They’re all so good at the battle for the ball. They’re causing DBs to get PIs (pass interference).”

Germie Bernard, a sophomore transfer from Michigan State, is another weapon.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They feed off of each other,” said the receivers coach. “Bernard’s playing well too, and he’s good in the return game or they’ll hand it to him and run sweeps. Any of them can beat you. The other thing a lot of people don’t talk enough about is what they do up front. The last two years they have been just as good as anyone.”

Scouting the O-line: ‘Incredibly athletic’
Washington allowed just 11 sacks in 13 games and ranks No. 2 in the FBS, behind only Oregon, in sack rate allowed at 2.2 percent, per TruMedia. Left tackle Troy Fautanu was honored with the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12’s top offensive lineman. At 6 feet 4, 315 pounds, Fautanu is a 400-pound bencher who ran a 5.1 40 and vertical-jumped almost 30 1/2 inches.

“Their O-line is incredibly athletic,” said the defensive analyst. “Fautanu is extremely athletic and plays with tenacity. He has a real edge.” Right tackle Roger Rosengarten, at 6-6, 300 pounds, is also really good and considered a terrific technician. Parker Brailsford, a 6-2, 280-pound redshirt freshman, made second-team All-Pac-12 at center.

A Pac-12 offensive line coach said Fautanu and Rosengarten are the best two tackles in the Pac-12, particularly as it pertains to pass protection, but he did also note that the Huskies will be facing much bigger and better D-lines in the Playoff.

“I don’t think they’ve played a defensive front like what they’re about to see (with Texas),” said the coach. “The best front we have in the Pac-12 was UCLA and then probably Oregon, but they’re not what Texas and Michigan have, or probably what Alabama has.”

Scouting RB Dillon Johnson: ‘He’s become the difference’
The other underrated aspect of the offense is Dillon Johnson, their running back, who is third in the Pac-12 in rushing with 1,113 yards and 14 TDs. In games against ranked opponents, the Mississippi State transfer averaged 108 yards per game.

“They’ve become so much more balanced in the last month,” said one Pac-12 head coach. Johnson has rushed for 683 yards and eight TDs in the past five games.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He runs so hard,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. “He has really good balance. He’s always moving forward, getting four and five yards a pop on first down. To me, he’s become the difference.”

Scouting the defense: ‘Not dominant, but still solid’
The defense, ranked No. 67 in yards per play (up from No. 70 last year), is not what it was the last time Washington made the CFP in the 2016 season, when Vita Vea and Greg Gaines anchored a stout front and Budda Baker led a star-studded secondary.

“It ain’t like they have those freak shows they used to have back there, “ said a Pac-12 offensive line coach. “They’re not dominant on that side of the ball, but they’re still pretty solid. (Bralen Trice) is a really good player. Take away what his stats say (8.5 TFLs, five sacks), he is really disruptive and shows up on tape. He can line up anywhere.”

Trice, a junior, is probably not quite as well known nationally as the other edge player, Zion Tupuola-Fetui (“ZTF”), but he is the player most of the competition worried about more. Trice was named a first-team All-American by Pro Football Focus.

ZTF is 20 pounds lighter, but he’s still a slippery guy to block. He broke out in 2020, making seven TFLs and three forced fumbles in a pandemic-shortened season that was only four games for Washington. This year, he’s made five TFLs and three sacks.

“The ends are really good,” said another Pac-12 O-line coach. “They’re physical and big. They’ll get after you. Their inside guys are just stout. If you just want to take ’em on straight, they can lock on you.”

The leader of the defense is sixth-year former walk-on Edefuan Ulofoshio, who has 83 tackles and six TFLs. He’s missed only nine tackles, according to Pro Football Focus. “He’s super smart and is their quarterback,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers Alphonzo Tuputala and Carson Bruener are also very solid. “I think they’re OK at linebacker, better than average … and average in the secondary,” said a Pac-12 head coach.

“If you’re looking for a weakness on the defense, we thought it was their corners,” said a Pac-12 receivers coach. “If your front can protect, they can be had.”

Another Pac-12 receivers coach agreed that the Huskies cornerbacks are where they’re probably most vulnerable, though he did say that he thinks “they’re good around them.”

Washington did allow the most plays of 30 yards or more in the Pac-12 (26), which ranked No. 123 in the country. It’s something Steve Sarkisian, with a strong-armed quarterback and a dangerous group of receivers in his own right, will definitely look to exploit.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER

Big Ten coaches on Michigan vs. Bama: J.J. McCarthy needs 'game of his life'

Who wins: Washington or Texas?
Most of the coaches we spoke to said they could see this one going either way but leaned toward Texas.

“I think Texas will present different problems for them that teams in our league couldn’t,” said a Pac-12 head coach. “Those two inside guys (T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy) are a lot better than any (defensive tackles) in the Pac-12, and I don’t think Washington is particularly strong there.

“They’ll be able to disrupt things for Washington’s offense and a lot of their stuff is shots down the field that are long-developing plays. Penix isn’t going to have time. I also think Sark and his receivers can take advantage of a secondary that we didn’t think was very good at all.”

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/19/2023 at 11:12 PM, ousux said:
On 12/19/2023 at 10:04 PM, troph said:
I’ll admit. We just finished watching pulp fiction like 30 mins ago. I’m feeling a little bit of the Wolf, Jules pre-divine intervention, and maybe a few others. Not quite Samurai sword Butch or Marcellus with a shot gun though.

Damn, just reminded me I'm running out of time. Pulp Fiction is one of my once a year movies I have stashed on an SSD. 2001 a Space Odyssey, The Fifth Element, Blade Runner directors cut and Apocalypse Now are in there as well but already watched.

That is a very good list man! I'd add Road Warrior (original) and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. But... yeah.

Put it on the Texas bulletin board... 🤘

Nation's top offensive line award goes to Washington

Washington's offensive line, led by Scott Huff, win the Joe Moore Award.

DOUG SAMUELS     15 HOURS AGO

The Joe Moore Award, the only award designated for a position group instead of an individual, is heading to a unit in the Pac-12.

“Washington was on the committee’s radar almost immediately due to their rare combination of physicality and athleticism,” Aaron Taylor, CBS college football analyst and co-founder of the Joe Moore Award shared in their official release. Taylor played his college football at Notre Dame under the award's namesake.

“They got better as the season progressed and consistently stepped up when it mattered. But what seemed to put them over the top was their junk yard dawg demeanor and how they looked to punish and set the tone with their physical style of play. Their level of effort, strain, and physicality is rare for this style of offense, and the voting body seemed to appreciate that.” 

Washington's success up front this year came behind seven different players and four different lineups under offensive line coach Scott Huff, also a finalist four our FootballScoop Offensive Line Coach of the Year, as we announced finalists earlier today.

Michigan's offensive line won the award in back-to-back seasons in 2021 and 2022.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

I don’t think Physicality means what they think it does. They did a good job of pass pro due to positioning and they are mobile but they got stuffed repeated trying to drive block - even by inferior defensive fronts.

OSU, WSU and ASU got pressure and even disrupted the outside runs with pulling OL. Alignment and toughness holding the edge are keys to stopping PnP and counter. Texas standard 4 man front is the right alignment against off tackle runs. The DE and Buck LB just need to honor their run responsibility before getting too far upfield. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The Joe Moore Award, the only award designated for a position group instead of an individual, is heading to a unit in the Pac-12.

“Washington was on the committee’s radar almost immediately due to their rare combination of physicality and athleticism,” Aaron Taylor, CBS college football analyst and co-founder of the Joe Moore Award shared in their official release. Taylor played his college football at Notre Dame under the award's namesake.

“They got better as the season progressed and consistently stepped up when it mattered. But what seemed to put them over the top was their junk yard dawg demeanor and how they looked to punish and set the tone with their physical style of play. Their level of effort, strain, and physicality is rare for this style of offense, and the voting body seemed to appreciate that.” 

Washington's success up front this year came behind seven different players and four different lineups under offensive line coach Scott Huff, also a finalist four our FootballScoop Offensive Line Coach of the Year, as we announced finalists earlier today.

Michigan's offensive line won the award in back-to-back seasons in 2021 and 2022.

Hopefully Sark will put a big fat notice on the locker room wall wherein the media talks about how wonderful Wash is.  Let's get these guys "veins in the teeth" fired up

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Heisman runner up, 3 NFL draft picks, and the best offensive line in the country and yet still failed to score an offensive touchdown vs ASU who had the 90th ranked defense in the country. This is going to be a HIGHLY motivated Texas team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

The real issue to complain about is how  utterly disinteresting the early bowls are.  1 out of 5 last week, 0 for 5 today.  It wasn’t always so, eh?

bowls used to matter more. there were probably less and the games were celebrations of the season, now with play offs the bowls are kinda stupid. they do get better as Jan 1 approaches but that used to be the main event, interesting match ups over the holidays. now the main event is the playoff so the bowls have lost A LOT of luster.

• Like 1

bowls used to matter more. there were probably less and the games were celebrations of the season, now with play offs the bowls are kinda stupid. they do get better as Jan 1 approaches but that used to be the main event, interesting match ups over the holidays. now the main event is the playoff so the bowls have lost A LOT of luster.

I remember the days when 7-4 or 8-3 was cutting it close to get to a bowl game.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Seems to me there are too many low interest teams playing on the same day and not enough bigger, regionally interesting teams to serve as the main attraction.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I remember the days when 7-4 or 8-3 was cutting it close to get to a bowl game.

This is a big part of it. Too many bowl games. It's hard to give a fuck about 2 no name .500 teams playing in the Milwaukee Crabs Fest Culligan Shitter Bowl sponsored by Whores-R-Us

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

This is a big part of it. Too many bowl games. It's hard to give a fuck about 2 no name .500 teams playing in the Milwaukee Crabs Fest Culligan Shitter Bowl sponsored by Whores-R-Us

I mean, I assume whores r Us would have some good half time entertainment. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There used not to be many bowls before Christmas so if you’re dissatisfied with more to watch then you’re doing something wrong. Or maybe do something else.

I’m personally more interested in crappy bowl than meaningful college basketball.

What is this "basketball" you speak of?

On 12/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, TheRoaroftheCrowd said:

Yes, that is a good pick, but the true steakhouse experience is at Canlis… the best in town. 

Interesting.  I loved Canlis, and did have steak when I ate there, but I would definitely consider it an upscale restaurant that serves a good steak vs a "steakhouse."

Ok, help me understand something here..am I correct in assuming the recent portal transfers can practice with their new team but can't participate in Bowl/playoff games? If not then what the flying fuck is the point of opening the portal with games yet to be played in the '23 season?

After doing some Intel on Andrew Mukuba it sure seems like he could help us out against Washington even with less than 2 weeks to prep, am I wrong?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, ousux said:

Ok, help me understand something here..am I correct in assuming the recent portal transfers can practice with their new team but can't participate in Bowl/playoff games? If not then what the flying fuck is the point of opening the portal with games yet to be played in the '23 season?

After doing some Intel on Andrew Mukuba it sure seems like he could help us out against Washington even with less than 2 weeks to prep, am I wrong?

The academic calendar and football calendar don’t line up.  The portal players need to find a new home before the spring semester starts.

The real issue to complain about is how  utterly disinteresting the early bowls are.  1 out of 5 last week, 0 for 5 today.  It wasn’t always so, eh?
They are only interesting for fans of the two teams playing. Lots of younger players get reps, kinda like a preview of the future. But yeah, other than that even the NY6 bowls are diminished in stature these days.

The academic calendar and football calendar don’t line up.  The portal players need to find a new home before the spring semester starts.
That's fucked up. Seems like if they can physically transfer and work-out/practice with the new team then they should be eligible to play as well. Mukuba is the first Freshman to start at safety for Clemson since the 70's and we need safety help in the worst way next Saturday night.

Curious what you guys think Strength and Conditioning and depth will play in this game.  Seems like Sark and Co have done a good job keeping a lot of talent in rotation to get guys like Ant Hill and Muhammad playing time and experience.  And then I would have to imagine our summer trainings and games in the heat would increase our guys' stamina?  

One of the coaches in the UW article mentioned playing fast to wear out Sweat and Murphy.  I saw other teams do that this year and we didn't step off a cliff when our 2nd teamers got in to give the starters breathers.  It always seemed that by the end of the game, both our lines had worn the opponents down.  

Does UW have the same caliber depth?

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, ousux said:
48 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That's fucked up. Seems like if they can physically transfer and work-out/practice with the new team then they should be eligible to play as well. Mukuba is the first Freshman to start at safety for Clemson since the 70's and we need safety help in the worst way next Saturday night.

Ha, imagine the chaos you would see if they could play. No thanks. 

Curious what you guys think Strength and Conditioning and depth will play in this game.  Seems like Sark and Co have done a good job keeping a lot of talent in rotation to get guys like Ant Hill and Muhammad playing time and experience.  And then I would have to imagine our summer trainings and games in the heat would increase our guys' stamina?  
One of the coaches in the UW article mentioned playing fast to wear out Sweat and Murphy.  I saw other teams do that this year and we didn't step off a cliff when our 2nd teamers got in to give the starters breathers.  It always seemed that by the end of the game, both our lines had worn the opponents down.  
Does UW have the same caliber depth?

Just based on defensive snap counts, they have 5 on D that don’t come of the field much. Trice and 4 DBs. They rotate elsewhere it seems. Each of those dudes played 72+% of defensive snaps.

Sweat played 53% of snaps and Murphy 46%. In closer games that was around 60 and 50%, respectively from what I recall.

We’ve had more rotation on the back end. We’ve only got 1 defender, Ford, that played over 72% of defensive snaps. I would not think there’s a significant difference in blowouts causing our rotations that much more.

The going fast philosophy is a bit interesting because it seems as though we substitute at the outset of series. I think they’re more likely to have quick strikes than to consistently drive the field. Particularly if we get the aggressive style that many here seem to favor.
  • Hook 'Em 3

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic