Texas opens as a 5 point favorite v Washington in the CFP Sugar Bowl

TexasMan

16 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

So is Williams out the first half?

Gerry Hamilton said he has to sit out for the first half of the first game we play next season.  There's apparently a carve out for targeting that occurs prior to a CFP game.  So we have him for Washington.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Keef said:

Gerry Hamilton said he has to sit out for the first half of the first game we play next season.  There's apparently a carve out for targeting that occurs prior to a CFP game.  So we have him for Washington.

If targeting occurs in the semifinal does that carry over to the final or can that also be deferred?

If our secondary plays like it did yesterday we’re in for a long night vs. the UW offense. Penix isn’t missing his guys when they get behind us. Button it up and keep them under 30 and we’re golden because they aren’t stopping our offense with much regularity.

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, hook me said:

If our secondary plays like it did yesterday we’re in for a long night vs. the UW offense. Penix isn’t missing his guys when they get behind us. Button it up and keep them under 30 and we’re golden because they aren’t stopping our offense with much regularity.

I mean, they’ve played like that all year. We haven’t faced many teams who can test them, but we all know we don’t have the dudes at safety like we do elsewhere (or they are a bit too young, like Williams). It’s one of the few weaknesses of this team.  I’m sure there will be some frustrating deep passes, and I suspect our offense will need to score is the high 30s to win.

3 hours ago, ousux said:

Keys to winning this game

1. Jump out to an early lead
2. Don't allow Washington any sort of running game.
3. Pressure Penix into bad throws

All 3 are doable, the last one most important. If Penix has time he can pick apart any secondary in the country, and ours has been shaky at times to say the least.

Penix is made of glass. We need to pound his ass. Like we need Sweat and Murphy to make a Penix sammich by the end of the 1st qtr.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, LonghornBreeder said:

Penix is made of glass. We need to pound his ass. Like we need Sweat and Murphy to make a Penix sammich by the end of the 1st qtr.

We don't get a lot of sacks.  Fortunately, they don't run the ball very well so we can play base with Sweat & Murphy clogging things up and try to keep the passing game in front of us.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

We don't get a lot of sacks.  Fortunately, they don't run the ball very well so we can play base with Sweat & Murphy clogging things up and try to keep the passing game in front of us.

We don't have to sack him. If Sweat lands on him (or Ant Hill puts a shoulder in his chest) after the release, it might be the last throw of the game for him.

I'm not suggesting we play dirty, but we need to be physical and test his durability.

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

We owe them a loss. But we know they will throw like crazy against us... I'd definitely assume a shootout is coming

Not with our DTs. They are way more fucked than we are. If we rush and harass Pennick without worrying about being held without consequence then that is the key to mitigating our db weakness. We have got to be aggressive against their line and QB. 
If Evers shows up big for this game, we have the right skill players on O to seize the day. And baby Manning playing clean up in his home town because you know Sark will classily give him playing time if we can. Shit, this game can really be a showcase for this program and fun for the team. We are going to make them score less than normal, and we’ll see which Ewers shows up. Go Horns!

Edited by burntorangebongos
Fucking autocorrect
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I mean, they’ve played like that all year. We haven’t faced many teams who can test them, but we all know we don’t have the dudes at safety like we do elsewhere (or they are a bit too young, like Williams). It’s one of the few weaknesses of this team.  I’m sure there will be some frustrating deep passes, and I suspect our offense will need to score is the high 30s to win.

I've seen every game both teams have played this season, and Washington's secondary is a lot worse than UT's.

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

Also, didn’t Robinson and Johnson sit out for the game last year?

Yes, and Jonathan Brooks played with a hernia that was operated on a week or so after the game.  I wouldn't take away much of anything about the Alamo Bowl last year, in any direction.

I think we could blow them out. Penix will be running for his life early and often since they’ll actually be calling holding penalties.

Wash D is not great. They’ll be forced to pick their poison against our offense. We should score 40+, can our D slow them down? Guess we’ll see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

call me nuts... but lets win the first game before getting all look-farwardy

Well, I'm confident.  I voted for the 10 plus wins in the early prediction thread.  Besides, if I go with "could be a ..." , then I'd look as if I thought we'd lose.  But I understand whatcha sayin, you know chickens and eggs and such. 

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So a 13-0 Washington team (25-2 over two seasons) that beat Texas in a bowl game last year should be terrified of Texas and it’ll be such a beatdown Arch Manning gets in the game.

I see we broke out the Texags grade kool aid today lol

It’s better than all the bleeding vaginas who thought we were out of the playoff last night. Drink the koolaid up.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see this line, tbh.

I think Washington is the least favorable matchup of the other three teams for us.

If we don't get pressure on Penix, he can pick apart our shaky secondary.  If we do get pressure on him, he might be able to scramble for big chunks.

I honestly thought they might be favored by a point or two here.

I guess people are looking at us scoring 57 and 49 and assuming that we can light up Washington's defense?  Which could very well be right.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

If we don't get pressure on Penix, he can pick apart our shaky secondary.  If we do get pressure on him, he might be able to scramble for big chunks.

Maybe 4 years ago and a couple of knee injuries ago he could scramble for big chunks. His -18 rushing years this season shouldn’t really concern us in game planning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

Maybe 4 years ago and a couple of knee injuries ago he could scramble for big chunks. His -18 rushing years this season shouldn’t really concern us in game planning.

Jesus, I know he's not exactly a dual threat guy, but I thought he could at least get loose sometimes.

Okay, so blitz his ass into oblivion then.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Our secondary and PK is gonna hear how porous they were against OSU every day for a month.  If that doesn't motivate and inspire our back 4, nothing will.  

I still give Penix  3 TDs passing and at least one running...28 for them...and 49 for the good guys.....tiny bit of luck is how healthy do we come out after defeating Wash.  

take the over.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So a 13-0 Washington team (25-2 over two seasons) that beat Texas in a bowl game last year should be terrified of Texas and it’ll be such a beatdown Arch Manning gets in the game.

I see we broke out the Texags grade kool aid today lol

We are a better team than last year across the board and a much better team than the Alamo Bowl team without RoJo and Bijan.

I'm not sure UW has made the same kind of improvements.  But their O is definitely formidable, especially considering our vulnerability there.  But I think we're actually a bit better there, certainly more effective up front, and I'm not all that sure UW is a whole lot better than what we saw last year.

I think we're definitely a better-rounded team.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I like our chances to get sacks when we face an OL that is not allowed to hold with impunity.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1