2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

HEB at Brodie/William Cannon was the most crowded I've ever seen at about noon. Meat and eggs all gone. 

Meanwhile, stuff that could actually sustain a family in a power outage remains on the shelves.

7 minutes ago, Covri said:

My favorite part about the panic buying is when people grab shit they never eat and think they need 10 of them.  Sure you’re erasing 16 cans of Campbell’s condensed soup in 3 days. Eggs? 4 dozen sounds about right. Bread? Check. Tortillas? Check. Crescent rolls? Check. Biscuits? Check. French bread? Check. Texas toast? Check. Naan? Check. Sourdough starter because I’m totally making bread while we’re home to go with all our other carbs we just bought? Check.

Damn, that's a lot of carbs.

6 minutes ago, Covri said:

My favorite part about the panic buying is when people grab shit they never eat and think they need 10 of them.  Sure you’re erasing 16 cans of Campbell’s condensed soup in 3 days. Eggs? 4 dozen sounds about right. Bread? Check. Tortillas? Check. Crescent rolls? Check. Biscuits? Check. French bread? Check. Texas toast? Check. Naan? Check. Sourdough starter because I’m totally making bread while we’re home to go with all our other carbs we just bought? Check.

If people hoarding toilet paper during the early days of a novel respiratory virus didn't tell you people were stupid....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Not that Bob said:

Does that fan dealie work? Looks interesting.

It started spinning when it heated up so I guess so. I have the blower running as well. 

they make a hearth insert also, for those that have a conventional fireplace. 

Quadra Fire if you can’t make out the brand. 

Anyone who is bored can build my MacGyver ‘d outside water inlet insulator, heater gadget. 

It uses a reptile terrarium heat lamp stuck in an old throwaway ice cooler. The pix will show the outside temperature in the low 20s but somewhere in the 40s in the middle of the box near the faucet.    37 degrees where the box met the bricks

IMG_0201.thumb.jpeg.9e743e6cde510e0b46cf2cde89b276a9.jpegIMG_0213.thumb.jpeg.4b76108a2c53b76ec79c593a5984f9b7.jpegIMG_0212.thumb.jpeg.6f9e4bb2724f83132eae7ce5dc58c1c2.jpegIMG_0210.thumb.jpeg.81c08fdf854d164a1c3e1e493e2e6e33.jpegIMG_0214.thumb.jpeg.4dcf2720abc5a47dd69defef1f2d24fb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Why do you have a toilet seat and lid attached to the wall of your house, and why do you feel the need to keep it heated?

?????   Everyone on Surly thinks that they are all involved in really hot shit. 

24 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Continues to blow my mind the madness that goes on with a couple days of freeze.

It's a new thing.  People are gun shy after multiple grid failures.

I'm not entirely sure I did shit to prep my pipes 10+ years ago when something like this was in the forecast.  Got lucky, maybe.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Continues to blow my mind the madness that goes on with a couple days of freeze.

Human beings conditioned from 2021 and not taught basic reasoning skills. Interesting to watch us regress as a society.

• Rage+1 1

Drove out to West Texas for the next few days.

Just after 6 pm when I was getting ready for an HEB run, the temp was 49F. By the time I got in a spot at 6:35 for curbside pick-up, it'd fallen to 31F, and the wind was blowing. Currently, the temp reads 25F and, apparently, the winds are about to go crazy.

Expecting to get down to 9F by 9 am (real feel of -9F) tomorrow morning.

image.png.66e6354f377366d2c48c8eb634bc0144.png

Edited by bolverk

1 minute ago, miguelito said:

Can I have your watch when you are dead?

I haven't worn it in about ten years. If you can find it shoved in the back of some drawer back at the casa in Austin, you're more than welcome to it. You'll have to guess my address though.

HEB in Buda is well stocked. Plenty of beer and veggies. Meat is a little light. No one is touching the canned food.

Had to go to an art show and stopped to get some wine. People were a bit frantic but no Karen's in sight. They had toilet paper. Just PSA to the Surl in South Austin.

45 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I haven't worn it in about ten years. If you can find it shoved in the back of some drawer back at the casa in Austin, you're more than welcome to it. You'll have to guess my address though.

image.gif.d913f441b452b6b9b24751e7281adbef.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Human beings conditioned from 2021 and not taught basic reasoning skills. Interesting to watch us regress as a society.

Add to that 100 hours without power in 2023. I'll admit, this shit triggers me. But I'm not rushing to the HEB because if/when we lose power again, I'm not taking my Texas toast and toilet paper with me to the Marriott.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not entirely sure I did shit to prep my pipes 10+ years ago when something like this was in the forecast.  Got lucky, maybe.

It's nothing new.  I've lived in Austin my entire life and idiots have panic-bought before the first cold blue norther every single winter I've been here.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's nothing new.  I've lived in Austin my entire life and idiots have panic-bought before the first cold blue norther every single winter I've been here.

Yes. And hurricanes* (see e.g., Rita, 2005).

*Hurricanes that never get within 100 miles of Austin.

Edited by Cap33
  • Hook 'Em 2

Chicken stew in the crockpot. Pissed off the wife because I asked if she could make rolls, she wants dumplings. If that is the worst thing, oh well. Reason I wanted rolls if for sammiches as well, but I am a selfish bastard.

We have 5days of good food, about 21 days of aw shit food, and I can go drop a squirrel if it gets real bad. Live on a grid that goes down all the time, so expect to lose power. Have a model to build to keep myself occupied and already made it sound worse to my overseas clients so if I want to fuck off for a few days I can. 25gallons of water (rain water not included) stored for toilets and we know if the rule, if its yellow leave it mellow.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Eh, I respectfully disagree.  I've lived here since 1985 and it's definitely gotten worse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Covri said:

My favorite part about the panic buying is when people grab shit they never eat and think they need 10 of them. 

What I like is that so many of them are buying refrigerated stuff.  Buy some bread, peanut butter, chips, granola bars, fruits, cereal you can eat dry, veggies, cookies, sports drinks, whatever you can buy and not refrigerate.

But filling up your fucking fridge and freezer?  If the thing they are worried about happens, they’ve got full a full fridge/freezer of food that they are going to have to haul to a relatives, or put outside and hope the temps stay cold until the electricity comes back on, and that there are no critters around.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What I like is that so many of them are buying refrigerated stuff.  Buy some bread, peanut butter, chips, granola bars, fruits, cereal you can eat dry, veggies, cookies, sports drinks, whatever you can buy and not refrigerate.

But filling up your fucking fridge and freezer?  If the thing they are worried about happens, they’ve got full a full fridge/freezer of food that they are going to have to haul to a relatives, or put outside and hope the temps stay cold until the electricity comes back on, and that there are no critters around.

Um but if it freezes you can put it out there.... Gotta think man. I come from New England stock and was always a trick.

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Um but if it freezes you can put it out there.... Gotta think man. I come from New England stock and was always a trick.

That would work last time around (and I’ve done it before), but this little stretch will have temps hitting the 30s and above part of the time depending on where you’re at.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

That would work last time around (and I’ve done it before), but this little stretch will have temps hitting the 30s and above part of the time depending on where you’re at.

So fire up the MRE's and heating them on your grill. Cold PB sucks.

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

So fire up the MRE's and heating them on your grill. Cold PB sucks.

I’ve only got about 20 MREs, and the kids ain’t eating those unless we are camping and having to hike in.

Thankfully no real precipitation and the worst of the wind was last week, so power should be good, and Austin won’t lose water again.  And the creek by us has water, so I can haul water for a toilet.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Multiple?