How did/are you dealing with it?

MissingInAction

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I’m just sad the season is over. We looked like a team that hadn’t played in a month and their QB was fucking amazing. We sat in 333 which was majority Washington fans. They were loud and somewhat lippy. I took some solace in the fact that everyone of them was shitty diamonds for the last minute of the game. 

Me too.  Sad. You form bonds with the players - really liked Sweat, Worthy and Bert.  They become part of the discussions I have with my kids, not quite family but important to us.

Now, some of that is gone.  I really hope these guys go on to the NFL and get paid but I'm not going to watch some random game between the Raiders and the Chargers to see if a receiver gets 100 yards.

Now, a few months of cold and then spring, and we can start over.

We got a little lippiness in our section 328C but they didn't really want any smoke.  Arkansas 2021 - crowd was rowdy.  A&M next year - I predict bad blood.  These W fans were just drunk and a little too football obsessed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Disappointed, but ultimately happy to break the conference title and playoff drought.

This was a great season that will go down alongside '04, '08, and '09.  And it came at a great time, as we head into the SEC.

Future's bright.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, TexArcher said:

And it came at a great time, as we head into the SEC.

This can't be understated.  It was great to win a conference title and make the playoffs, but the timing was fucking huge, for the team and recruits, but also for the delicious aggy tears, as we head into the SEC.  

• Hook 'Em 4

I hope there'll be an opportunity to welcome y'all to Husky Stadium some time. That's a home-and-home most of us have always wanted to see.

Easily number one home and home series I want to see Texas play. Yes please to a football trip to Seattle in September. Our AD clearly hates us booking trips to Ohio, Georgia, Florida, and Arizona (yes I realize the middle two are off the books), all of which are varying degrees of shitty and hot.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

was the most fun I have had watching Texas football in years.  My son was really getting into it as well which made for some fun game watching together.    loved how we played vs bama, tech and okie st. real memories that will carry my through until spring / fall camps.  pieces are there and with the portal we can continue to add where needed.  happy for sark and coaches. 

going to be a loooooong off season.

corvette deal with it GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm not going to ever say that losing doesn't suck, but those of y'all comparing this to 2008 Tech are way off. This is nowhere near that.

This is true. At least we didn't run our first play as a draw and hand the ball to a 250-pound running back, standing still, five yards deep in our own end zone. And trail 19-0 before starting to score.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

I am really happy with the season. Obviously nobody was happy with how things ended, but how many people honestly thought that this was a playoff team? Most win projections were 8-10 wins. Even with this year, it still felt like we went large portions of games throughout the season stuck in second gear on offense. Quinn was largely improved this season, but if he comes back and develops another year, we might actually get to see the big time 2020 Bama level offense next year. Either way, I feel great heading into the SEC. I know we can play with any team in that league and win including Georgia and Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

I was frustrated with how we approached the first half and the fumbles in the second. I was proud of the way the team found away to come within 13 yards of winning it, despite the setbacks. I quickly remember that we won the conference and met most of my expectations for the season. The program is in a good place and there’s more talent on the way. Now I hope we keep Baxter/Blue and some DL around.

Yeah.  We did better than I expected this season.  We had our chance with 1st down from the 12.  The other team just had a better plan and executed better.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I'm blaming myself because I wore my favorite Texas cap to watch the game. I haven't worn it all year and in previous years, it was bad luck and cost us games. But I thought the curse was broken and I wanted to wear it more so I gambled and put it on. Now, I plan on burning it.

I brought my wife.  I thought her curse was over.  She's been to 5 Sugar Bowls now and her team has lost every one.  She went to 2 when she was in school at UGA, but skipped the one where they beat ND and won the MNC.  She went with me to the one vs. the Hokies in '95 when we had a player even older than Stetson Bennet (Ron McKelvey/Weaver for you youngsters).  And she was rooting for Georgia when we played them after the 2018 season.

I guess one consolation.  The women wearing Burnt Orange were just SO much better looking than the ones in purple. 

• Drool 1

I remember being a young kid watching a game with my grandfather. I don’t remember the exact game or year but we lost and my grandfather dropped this life nugget that has alway stuck with me.   “I hope your goddamn plane crashes!”  I didn’t take this loss as bad as he did that one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i am fine.. it just makes you realize how much shit (within your control and not within your control) has to go right just to get to the precipice of a National Championship Final.

• beating Alabama away (although this was completely in our control)
  • the spot of the ball by the officials at the UH game
  • Kansas St. going for 2 in OT (and failing)
  • Alabama beating Georgia in the SEC Final
  • weird clock management, series of events, penalties, etc. that gave Texas 50 seconds at our 35 instead of 15 seconds at our own 20, in the semi-final

National Championships are rare (for most)

Edited by yoladu

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, futureman said:

threads like this one are what pops up on the texags "tell me about tu" thread.  embarassing.

I hope so. They have a hard time dealing with thier feelings.

Perhaps this forum could help them as well.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I'm not doing well about it, at all. 

That's because we had our championship window of opportunity, which is now closed. 

Why? Because now we face another, more potent opponent. The Fightin' Aggies of Texas A&M University. 
They have THE best traditions in all of college. Plus, they've already surpassed us in baseball and basketball. Don't believe me? Consider this recent post from TexasAgs: "We've already surpassed them in baseball and basketball." 

Tex-Ags-Gold-Baseball.jpg

What's more, they demonstrated an unquenchable commitment to success when they paid a coach $78 MILLION to leave. That's right. $78 million to a coach they had presented a future national championship trophy to stop coaching, and they did it mid-season without a replacement locked-in. While it seems like this is poor financial management by their athletic department, it shows a spirit of winning we could only dream about. 

Aggies-NY-TIMES.jpg

Now, they've brought in a coach who gets them. That's right. He EMBRACES their traditions. And he has a great nickname, The Elk, which pairs with The Station quite nicely. We don't even have an amazing nickname for our city. 

PEOPLE-ELK.jpg+

Finally, when you compare the two football programs, A&M comes out ahead. As many of their posters continually point out, they faced a much better Alabama team than we did AND ALMOST WON. Plus, they paid tribute to their near-win against the second-best team in the Big 12.  

Now that they've moved on from many of their players from the best recruiting class of all time, and have had multiple highly ranked recruits opt out, they are ready to win even more championships with hardworking farm boys from small towns. 

Tex-Ags-Gold-Farm-Boys.jpg

Thanks for indulging my meltdown. I'm skeered real good.   

best post in the thread by far

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

threads like this one are what pops up on the texags "tell me about tu" thread.  embarassing.

This thread has been a mix of sarcasm and nice stories about kids becoming fans. You’re the only one that cares about what aggy makes fun of anyway. Maybe these idiots should read this thread and reflect because they’re what the rest of college football is judging us for. How not to deal with it:

Edited by B00M

I watched the game at my brother’s place in Seattle with his 3 kids being UW grads/students and son-in-law being a Michigan fan (Berkeley grad but Michigan native). Felt bad congratulating them when I was so confident that we would win the NC based on the Rose Bowl play. To punish them, I am going to be a contrarian the whole week in our WhatsApp group. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My season goal was met. 

We won the Commence Championship coming in and going out. Everything else was gravy. 

Goal for next year is to win the new Conference Championship. 

I'm just disappointed the season is over a week earlier than it had to be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Sarkisian really needs to make @TreatyOak head of social media marketing for the football program.

What? Why would I do that, when I'm one of the top Fleshlight salespersons in the entire Southwest quadrant! Let me know if you want one or  a multiple order. They make great gifts.  

@jimmyjazz, I sent the four you ordered in a USPS medium-sized box, which was an additional $13.00 over your order. I added that to your total. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

What? Why would I do that, when I'm one of the top Fleshlight salespersons in the entire Southwest quadrant! Let me know if you want one or  a multiple order. They make great gifts.  

@jimmyjazz, I sent the four you ordered in a USPS medium-sized box, which was an additional $13.00 over your order. I added that to your total. 

Well, I suppose I should expect that level of customer service.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

This thread has been a mix of sarcasm and nice stories about kids becoming fans. You’re the only one that cares about what aggy makes fun of anyway. Maybe these idiots should read this thread and reflect because they’re what the rest of college football is judging us for. How not to deal with it:

You can find 10 videos like that after every sec team loses a game. 

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Don't know how many of you noticed it, but the OU player getting a humanitarian award did a horns down while getting the award.  He got roundly booed.  OU being OU.

Seemed like almost all the Texas fans left real quick after the incompletion.  Its hard to get out of the Superdome.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, B00M said:

What a fucking jerkoff; take the loss, pussy….

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I'm not going to ever say that losing doesn't suck, but those of y'all comparing this to 2008 Tech are way off. This is nowhere near that.

Holy shit there's people saying that?

This is nowhere near that loss. I don't think it's even as bad as the 09 CG loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but the UT fans mouthing off to UDub players should fucking grow up.

Exactly; I’d love to see that loser get in that player’s face in a bar…

• Drool 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but the UT fans mouthing off to UDub players should fucking grow up.

I agree this is dumb af, but as the clock struck zero sealing UWs win, some player felt the need to full on sprint across the field to the corner of the end zone with the Texas band and start giving horns down to the crowd. Not celebrate with his team, or take the time to congratulate their teammates for all the hard work in their season giving them a berth into an opportunity for a NC, nah, had to get those horns down in the faces of the losing fan base, I’m sure a memory that will remind him how small he is for a lifetime

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I agree this is dumb af, but as the clock struck zero sealing UWs win, some player felt the need to full on sprint across the field to the corner of the end zone with the Texas band and start giving horns down to the crowd. Not celebrate with his team, or take the time to congratulate their teammates for all the hard work in their season giving them a berth into an opportunity for a NC, nah, had to get those horns down in the faces of the losing fan base, I’m sure a memory that will remind him how small he is for a lifetime

Oh, I get it.  I just think a grown-ass man ought to be able to temper his response a bit.  A middle finger would suffice.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, B00M said:

I don't understand why players would even engage with drunken idiots.

Embarrassing for all involved

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I agree this is dumb af, but as the clock struck zero sealing UWs win, some player felt the need to full on sprint across the field to the corner of the end zone with the Texas band

That’s the end zone where the game ended (the one with Washington painted on it), a good 360 feet from our band…

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That’s the end zone where the game ended (the one with Washington painted on it), a good 360 feet from our band…

I’m not talking about the clip. I’m talking about what I observed in the end zone with the “Texas” painted in it

I was agreeing that the fan is a dumb ass for mouthing off at the players, then relating my experience of Washington players who prioritized giving horns down to the crowd over celebrating with their team on the field…

Losses always suck, but sometimes they are more or less painful depending on the context.   

Obviously the context of this loss was it took us out of a shot at a national championship, but if you take a step back and look more broadly than just 1/1 to 1/8, I think there are a couple reasons why the loss didn't suck as much as it could have. 

1) Season overall was enjoyable and exceeded any reasonable expectations

Imagine another fanbase of a team that was 8-5 last season, hadn't fielded a top 5 team in a while, but recruits well. They are starting a soph QB, a young OL, and a reasonably young defense.  Pick a random blueblood team in your head.  

And before the season you said, hey, I'm from the future, next year, you guys are gonna

• win the conference title in your final year in the conference 
  • get scoreboard on all your old, annoying ass wannabe rivals who are staying in the old conference
  • beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa by double digits
  • avenge all your regular season losses
  • get to CFP.  Draw a tough matchup in semis and unfortunately the opposing QB is going to play absolutely lights out, leaving your team just short on a last minute comeback drive
  • pundits and coaching staff will sum up the season as "a young team that was one play away from playing for a national title"

If someone from the other fanbase said, man, what a letdown, you'd think their expectations were a tad high.

Expectations are a lot different when the team is building off a top 5/10 finish the year before and the QB/OL/key players at every level of defense are all upperclassmen and headed to the draft after the season ends.   

Losses in those years hurt more in part because deep down you know there is an ebb and flow to cfb and this is a "ceiling year" for the program/staff.  It's always gonna suck to be close to a national championship, but 2023 was more of a holy shit this is a great opportunity to sneak in and win a national championship with a young team sort of years.  Yeah it still sucks to lose a shot at a national championship, but the downside just isn't the same as it is in a year like 08/09, because the implications are different.

2) Sounds dumb but the end of game mattered imo

In terms of the impact on the program, I know this sounds stupid but I thought it was important that Texas had a shot to win the game at the end.  As opposed to a couple more bad swings and Texas loses to UW by 17.   It also helped that Penix made so many tip-your-hat throws.  From an outsider's perspective, it just wasn't a bad loss.  And I'm just saying that makes a difference in terms of what the pundits are gonna say next year, and what the coaching staff can say on the recruiting trail, etc. 

3) Next game wasn't a gimme

TBH, if Michigan could severely limit the run and get a big rush on Ewers, I'm not sure the next game was a gimme.   Yeah, we could have won, but it wasn't like another team with an Okie state profile was waiting in Houston.  It's not like we lost the national championship, we lost the chance to play in a game where we prolly would have had all our signs stolen been in another really tough matchup, this time for the offense.  All I'm saying is, even if we had won, I wasn't as confident about a Michigan matchup after seeing them in Pasadena.  So, again, yes the loss sucks, but the implications aren't as far reaching as they could be. 

4) The impact of this season and the Sugar Bowl will be decided next year

Someone from the future could have come here in August and said hey, this staff is gonna take an 8-5 team that is still young in key spots and get them one play away from playing in Houston.  Then they are gonna build off that and get the program on the right track.  I think we all would have taken it.  (shit, I would have taken that in October).

If the coaching staff problem-solves and the players are motivated and bust their ass during the offseason, 2023 could be a turning point for the program.   

If not, the loss will sting more over time, i suppose.  But i'm not gonna worry about shit that hasn't happened yet.  hook em. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1