Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

if it were me, i'd go after lanning from oregon or see if ol' pete carroll still has the energy/juice.  lol, pete carroll in tuscafuckingloosa redneck capital of the world after 20 years in l.a. and seattle is kind of a hilarious idea.
anyway, [mention=280]4th&Five[/mention] said something funny and profound to me today...mack brown outlasted nick.
You do realize Pete is older than Saban, right? Both of them are done in the same year. I could see Pete going to TV, not sure about Saban.

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

He comes across as a likeable guy, but not exactly a dynamic personality, which is what you want on tv.

Yep. He's amazing at breaking down film and explaining football. But that's not what Gameday is about. Gameday is entertainment, not education. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:
26 minutes ago, sidis said:
if it were me, i'd go after lanning from oregon or see if ol' pete carroll still has the energy/juice.  lol, pete carroll in tuscafuckingloosa redneck capital of the world after 20 years in l.a. and seattle is kind of a hilarious idea.
anyway, [mention=280]4th&Five[/mention] said something funny and profound to me today...mack brown outlasted nick.

You do realize Pete is older than Saban, right? Both of them are done in the same year. I could see Pete going to TV, not sure about Saban.

maybe, but pete has the energy and demeanor of a younger man.

plus, it was tongue-in-cheek.

A nice house on the lake with room for his boat, a local Ferrari dealership to service his cars, and he can pop into Sark's office to shoot the shit/give advice any time he wants. 
You make a good point. Zero animosity from the local fanbase and the coach of the most prominent university a personal friend. They could do worse than central Texas for retirement...but they could also choose something a bit more tropical and exotic if they want.

18 minutes ago, pacman said:

Lanning, with Dabo having killed his chances due to ineptitude over last few seasons..

Is the ineptitude primarily his approach to NIL?  I think I have heard/read that.

It's got to crush a coach to put so much effort into recruiting a kid out of high school --- the birthday cards, all the texts and hand-holding to deliver that recruit on signing day and you come to really know and like the kid and his family ---- and then he leaves you after one year for another school.

But that's the game and you get to play it, too, I reckon.

Just now, ousux said:
12 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:
A nice house on the lake with room for his boat, a local Ferrari dealership to service his cars, and he can pop into Sark's office to shoot the shit/give advice any time he wants. 

You make a good point. Zero animosity from the local fanbase and the coach of the most prominent university a personal friend. They could do worse than central Texas for retirement...but they could also choose something a bit more tropical and exotic if they want.

He could retire to the mountains, the tropics, whatever and just show up for a couple of weekends in the fall when the weather in Texas isn't so horribad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Assuming Oregon can pay him and Lanning doesn't hate Eugene I don't see why he would leave.  He is coming into the BIG with tOSU showing a few cracks, Michigan potentially losing Harbaugh, and USC starting to look like a mess.  He is already out recruiting everyone but tOSU.  He is positioned well for success.  

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian: We'll include Sarkisian's name for the sole purpose of stating this: it wouldn't logically make much sense for Sarkisian to leave Texas. The Longhorns are surging and they have become a formidable program in the NIL space with a large, deep-pocketed group of donors. Sarkisian certainly impressed Alabama during his two-year stint as offensive coordinator, which included coaching Alabama to an Iron Bowl win in 2020 when Saban had COVID. But our feeling has been Sarkisian is among a very small group of current college head coaches who wouldn't make the move to Alabama. It's still worth a phone call, though.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/alabama-football-coaching-search-candidates-who-are-the-possibilities-225061515/

Spoiler

Alabama football coaching search candidates: Who are the possibilities?

Alabama coaching search Nick Saban retires candidates

Mike RodakMike Rodak8 mins

The Nick Saban era is over at Alabama.

Alabama's legendary coach retired Wednesday, ending his 17-season run in Tuscaloosa after six national titles for the Tide.

Alabama's first coaching search since 2006 now begins for athletics director Greg Byrne, president Stuart Bell and the university's board of trustees.

Who are the candidates to watch? Here is Bama 247's initial perspective:

Oregon coach Dan Lanning: The 37-year old has only been a head coach for two seasons, so Alabama would be taking a swing on his upside. He was an Alabama graduate assistant in 2015 and rose to prominence under Kirby Smart first as Georgia's outside linebackers coach in 2018 and then UGA's defensive coordinator from 2019-21. He knows the system that made Saban (and Smart) successful and led Oregon to a top-10 finish this season.

Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin: We'll include Kiffin on this list because he'll be widely discussed as a possible candidate. Kiffin has experience coaching in the SEC at Tennessee and Ole Miss, and has turned the Rebels into a top-15 team. But his three-year tenure as Alabama's offensive coordinator from 2014-16 ended abruptly and his unpredictable demeanor off the field would be a stark contrast to the buttoned-up Saban. Kiffin might badly want the job, but the question remains: how much will Alabama's trustees want him?

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney: A few years ago, it seemed like a natural fit for Swinney to one day replace Saban. After all, the Birmingham-area native played won a national championship for Alabama in 1992. Clemson has tried to protect itself with a larger buyout for Swinney leaving for Alabama, but that could be overcome financially. The question these days is whether Swinney's approach to NIL and the transfer portal is the right path for Alabama. Clemson has undeniably dropped off since the Tigers battled for supremacy last decade with Alabama, and there would be concerns about how Swinney would go about getting Alabama back on top, too. But it's probably too early to write this one off, and he remains one of the most successful coaches in modern college football.

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian: We'll include Sarkisian's name for the sole purpose of stating this: it wouldn't logically make much sense for Sarkisian to leave Texas. The Longhorns are surging and they have become a formidable program in the NIL space with a large, deep-pocketed group of donors. Sarkisian certainly impressed Alabama during his two-year stint as offensive coordinator, which included coaching Alabama to an Iron Bowl win in 2020 when Saban had COVID. But our feeling has been Sarkisian is among a very small group of current college head coaches who wouldn't make the move to Alabama. It's still worth a phone call, though.

Florida State coach Mike Norvell: The frustration was evident from Norvell after Florida State went undefeated, won the ACC and was left out of the College Football Playoff. The solution? If you can't beat them, join them. The SEC would offer ample opportunities for Norvell to get past the roadblocks posed by the ACC, and the 42-year old has engineered a remarkable turnaround for a Florida State program that seemed to be in shambles when he was hired four years ago. The Texas native has never coached in the SEC, though, and wouldn't have as deep of a track record as some other candidates.

Washington coach Kalen DeBoer: It might be a culture shock for a coach who has spent most of his career far from the SEC footprint, but DeBoer has an incredible 104-12 record as a head coach at Division II Sioux Falls, Fresno State and now Washington. Making the national championship with the Huskies in an era where the Big Ten and SEC have dominated recruiting is an accomplishment, and DeBoer has accordingly won several coach of the year awards this season. Would the 49-year old from South Dakota be the right fit in the deep south at Alabama?

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So Oregon is going to lose its HC again huh? Who would be the next inline to go to Nikeville? Going to be an intersting job search there if it happens because of the B1G travel issues to mix in with it

Jimbo getting fitted for some size 7 air jordans

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

Ahem!

In addition, this deal also includes a buyout that Elko must pay if he leaves A&M, beginning at $6.5 million and reducing in value over the life of the contract.

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

So we have a home-and-home with Bama in 2028-29.

Many people are saying this is why Saban is retiring. 

Definitely. They should go get Joe Kines back, would be a proper OSU-Bama reunion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I wouldnt really be that broken up if they wanted to hire Sark at 8mil/yr. Calm down everyone

You know we are about to be paying him $8mm or more per year, right?

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Wasn't he banging a donor's daughter at USC?  

Whenever you hear about a donor's daughter getting bottomed out, its always safe to assume its Joey Freshwater. Regardless of where he's coaching at the time. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, tokamak said:

There's a sitting National Championship coach out there just waiting for that call, Bama. Plus, he's recently come into a large amount of money (around $75m), so I bet he'd work for cheap.

Didn't @closetojumping hear that Jimbo was anticipating making a big move and contacting A&M players to come with him??

👀👀

Itshappening.gif

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Jimbo has no buyout. Easy decision, if you ask me.

They are going to have to settle the question becomes who is dumb enough to follow the GOAT?  Dabo because it's his alma mater and the shine has worn off at Clemson.  Bilbo is also dumb enough to do it too but my guess is the Gumps would go all Mike Stoops if that came to fruition.

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

They are going to have to settle the question becomes who is dumb enough to follow the GOAT?  Dabo because it's his alma mater and the shine has worn off at Clemson.  Bilbo is also dumb enough to do it too but my guess is the Gumps would go all Mike Stoops if that came to fruition.

Don't sell Jimbo short. The man is a legend in coaching circles for what he did to Aggy.

2 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Dabo would pay the buyout out of his own pocket to GTFO Clemson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire
  • Pancho locked this topic