Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

On a personal note, having lost my aunt and uncle this year (both at 72–she from Alzheimer’s and he from heart attack they would have been married 51 years this year)  I hope Saban’s health concerns are minor ones. Imagine achieving all that and not being able to travel and have some fun the money you made. I can’t imagine him retiring because of how invested he was. Very few people live like he did as a coach. But he should hook up with Jimmy Johnson and Belichick and go deep sea fishing. I don’t wish health issues on anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm torn on who I want

• I hate Oregon, so Lanning is intriguing
  • Watching the meltdown here if Sark left would be epic.  Even moreso if he took Arch with him.

It’s actually pretty cool, having a coach someone wants and not coach Prime!!1!!  

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

On a personal note, having lost my aunt and uncle this year (both at 72–she from Alzheimer’s and he from heart attack they would have been married 51 years this year)  I hope Saban’s health concerns are minor ones. Imagine achieving all that and not being able to travel and have some fun the money you made. I can’t imagine him retiring because of how invested he was. Very few people live like he did as a coach. But he should hook up with Jimmy Johnson and Belichick and go deep sea fishing. I don’t wish health issues on anyone. 

I'm as educated on the subject as anyone (nobody) but read earlier today it's a concern with his Wife.  :(

*read on the boards - so, rumor

• Like 1

Is it possible Bo Davis left (in part) because he knew Saban was done and figured Sark might leave?

Someone talk me off the ledge. I've gone from being a Sark doubter to needing him in my life.  The vegas odds with him as a relative longshot make no sense to me.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Is it possible Bo Davis left (in part) because he knew Saban was done and figured Sark might leave?

Someone talk me off the ledge. I've gone from being a Sark doubter to needing him in my life.  The vegas odds with him as a relative longshot make no sense to me.

What is his allegiance to Bama ?  How is that greater than his allegiance to Texas? As of today, how is the Bama program better than Texas? 

• Hook 'Em 6

Get off the ledge. Nobody with any insight views Sark as a legitimate candidate. Bama insiders think Texas is one of the only jobs that could withstand a Bama push.

It’s gonna be Lanning.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

image.gif.fd74d6cf33bf2a60fef833964ea56c5b.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Let me put your mind at ease. Texas is finally "back" under the leadership of Sark and had our best season in well over a decade. We have Arch Manning and we are recruiting like a national championship contender and the floodgates are opening. You really think there is an amount of money large enough that we wont pony up to keep Sark here? Do you really think the Texas AD and big money donors would let us lose everything we worked so hard for?

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Let me put your mind at ease. Texas is finally "back" under the leadership of Sark and had our best season in well over a decade. We have Arch Manning and we are recruiting like a national championship contender and the floodgates are opening. You really think there is an amount of money large enough that we wont pony up to keep Sark here? Do you really think the Texas AD and big money donors would let us lose everything we worked so hard for?

What reasons would Sark leave Texas for Bama?  Honest question.  I can’t think of any (assuming Texas ponies up the $$).

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

And was any Sark allegiance built from his time at Alabama really to Alabama or to the man....Nick Saban.  And if it was why in the hell would he want to try to follow that?  He probably gets a bag from something like this but that was happening anyway.

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Probably already had a deal done before he announced.

Maybe he wants to go be an analyst for all of his old analysts.  Instead of Alabama calling Sark, Saban is calling Sark to get a lower-stress job.

I haven't even touched the scotch sitting beside me yet.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And was any Sark allegiance built from his time at Alabama really to Alabama or to the man....Nick Saban.  And if it was why in the hell would he want to try to follow that?  He probably gets a bag from something like this but that was happening anyway.

Agreed. This just got him a bigger bag and maybe a couple year extension. 

Bo Davis got a raise to go back to his alma mater. I’m sure we matched/exceeded but if momma calls what can you do. Totally different situation than him fleeing to some random school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

What reasons would Sark leave Texas for Bama?  Honest question.  I can’t think of any (assuming Texas ponies up the $$).

Some weird and perverse loyalty to Bama? I doubt he feels he owes them. He is at a top 5 job in the country and has the machine rolling. I doubt he would leave under any circumstance as long as we pony up the money. 

So reading multiple Bama boards, most said Sark has already said thank you, but no.

That is surprising not because Sark said no, but how they are all pretty much in agreement that Sark was at the top of the list and they all stay away from the bullshit idea that they could put pay Texas to get him to go to Bama.

Most are saying Lanning and all seem to expect someone hired either way by the end of the weekend.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If Lanning gets the job and Gabriel is stuck in Eugene, I consider the revenge tour complete (regular season category)

Eugene is pretty decent. I was there for a few years. They haven’t had a problem getting hot up and coming coaches.

13 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Some weird and perverse loyalty to Bama? I doubt he feels he owes them. He is at a top 5 job in the country and has the machine rolling. I doubt he would leave under any circumstance as long as we pony up the money. 

I would think his loyalty would be to Saban and not BAMA, and I don't think Saban is the type of guy to hold him to any of that.  He let him leave BAMA with 2 other of his Assistant coaches to Texas without really raising any stink about it in the media.  Just said that's how it goes in coaching and hired the next man up.. I mean he was never petty about any of it and just wished Sark well.  I don't think Saban would be the type to press Sark to leave Texas for BAMA because you "owe" me this.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

If Lanning gets the job and Gabriel is stuck in Eugene, I consider the revenge tour complete (regular season category)

Transfer Window opens 30 days from a head coach vacating their position. Alabama's opened today. Oregon's would be the minute it was announced he's leaving.

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire