Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

2 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Society of the Snow - if you have seen “Alive” like I’m sure most of us have this will really just be a refresher of the story. I enjoyed it and it’s worth the watch.

I liked this a lot. I love Alive and this story is so powerful. It was very similar to Alive, but apparently was created with input from the actual survivors, so apparently more accurate. I think I might still like Alive better though.  

10 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Society of the Snow - if you have seen “Alive” like I’m sure most of us have this will really just be a refresher of the story. I enjoyed it and it’s worth the watch.

That was GOOD. I thought just as good as "Alive" or even better.

Gonna have to read the book "Society of the Snow" now. 

4 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

That was GOOD. I thought just as good as "Alive" or even better.

Gonna have to read the book "Society of the Snow" now. 

Read the review in Daily Beast and am going to watch this today.  Alive was good and this is getting great reviews.

If you want a good family movie then Nimora is really fun. Set in a weird future sci fi world but there are also knights and swords and armor. The voice actors are good and the main young character (voiced by Chloe Grace Moretz) is funny. It’s got a punk rock vibe too. My 17 yr old daughter loved it.

On 2/17/2023 at 12:58 PM, 'stache said:

Cunk on Earth is hilarious, right up my alley. 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:09 PM, 4th&Five said:

Spent the ice day yesterday clearing my list. Cunk on Earth was good. Official Secrets was also worth the watch. I’d completely forgotten about that whole story. 

On 4/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, Goredho said:

Cunk on Earth is the funniest shit I’ve seen in some time.  It’s a British mockumentary about the history of human civilization, complete with interviews of professors and historians who are not necessarily in on the joke, like this one.

Late to the game here and have only watched the first episode, but I laughed out loud multiple times.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Late to the game here and have only watched the first episode, but I laughed out loud multiple times.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but her prior BBC series Cunk on Brittain is available on Youtube I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

We starts The Brothers Sun last night, having no idea what it was.

Been a fun little watch so far

first half of the season was great, second half was terrible. just became monologues and boring ass conversations. should have been like 6 episodes max.

2 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Looking forward to this (March 21). Hope it delivers. The books were great.

(ducks incoming shots at Benioff and Weiss)

This site is a bit of a primer: https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/3-body-problem-teaser-release-date

I’ve reread the series several times and recognized very little from the trailers. This being one of my all-time favorite series, I have major concerns B&W are improvising far too much. They did such a great job adapting GOT seasons 1-5, I had high hopes for this. I’ll watch but my expectations are greatly diminished. 

8 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Looking forward to this (March 21). Hope it delivers. The books were great.

There is a series on Amazon for this that is a Chinese production.  I read the book (3 body problem - wasn't aware there was more than 1 book) and was able to follow it but I can't imagine anyone who had not read the book would understand what was happening.  I don't know if its the pacing or having to read subtitles, but I also have trouble staying awake while watching, so I'm only ~3 episodes in to it.  The trailer for the Netflix version looks to be be in English and definitely higher budget special effects.  I'll probably be able to stay awake through it even if it looks like they might have changed the ethnicity of several characters.

5 hours ago, WashHorn said:

I’ve reread the series several times and recognized very little from the trailers. ...

I recognized most of the trailer as parts of the book.  Looks like they Americanized it a bit though.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:26 PM, bernorange said:

I recognized most of the trailer as parts of the book.  Looks like they Americanized it a bit though.

I’m guessing because they already have the Chinese adaption and didn’t want to mirror it.  I struggled with the books and the Chinese version, but will give this a go.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:26 PM, bernorange said:

Reading the article mentioned above, they decided to adapt it for a global audience since they already had a Chinese TV series, made for Chinese audiences (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Body)

Spoiler

The three creators (Benioff, Weiss, and Woo) spoke to author Cixin Liu on Zoom early in their creative process and received the novelist’s blessing to adapt his work — and he encouraged them to make necessary narrative changes. Some of those key changes include chronological shifts, character tweaks, expansions, additions, and setting the present-day story primarily in the UK. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Explain this to me like I’m Derka. 

Whatever device your out of home kids watch netflix on (tv, roku, phone, tablet) needs to connect to your home wifi.  Then Netflix will be back on the table for some period of time before they have to do it again.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Whatever device your out of home kids watch netflix on (tv, roku, phone, tablet) needs to connect to your home wifi.  Then Netflix will be back on the table for some period of time before they have to do it again.

284DF473-9D5C-4125-AEF5-03A2C5AFC91A-32544-00000C27AF2BA7E2.jpeg

• Haha 2

This but there is some issue with Samsung(I think it’s Samsung) TVs with Netflix app, not liking the “travel” mode of Netflix…

So for example my parents have a Samsung TV in front, a fire stick in the back room and my mom uses her iPad in bed to watch shows. She’ll bring her iPhone over to my house and connect to my wifi, when she goes back home and reconnects to her wifi, all the devices function except the Samsung tv, it wants to make it the home network… which ain’t happening

4 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

This but there is some issue with Samsung(I think it’s Samsung) TVs with Netflix app, not liking the “travel” mode of Netflix…

So for example my parents have a Samsung TV in front, a fire stick in the back room and my mom uses her iPad in bed to watch shows. She’ll bring her iPhone over to my house and connect to my wifi, when she goes back home and reconnects to her wifi, all the devices function except the Samsung tv, it wants to make it the home network… which ain’t happening

It's probably most tvs.  TVs aren't mobile so they want to make it a PITA for you to watch on a TV that is outside of your home to encourage just getting a separate memberships.

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Maybe she can just use the Netflix app on her phone (after connecting to your wifi) to cast Netflix to the Samsung TV?  It's not as handy as using the TV remote to navigate Netflix, but it works for me.

Enjoying the Brothers' Sun and am through the episode after Rolodex episode, but.....

Spoiler

It seems obvious that the Boxers are probably children/orphans of the Triad, and that Grace is one of them and perhaps the leader (the Snakehead story).  I'll be very surprised if it doesn't play out that way.  I presume they'll never explain how they built an army of dozens and dozens of ninja level assassins, but I'll allow it.

And would Alexis even though she's a daytime soap level actress.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

On 1/6/2024 at 2:10 PM, wutang75 said:

Came on here to post this.  I don't recall much about Alive other than the overall plot.  This movie - geesh.  I like to think I'm tough enough to survive some things, but I'll never be "1972 Uruguayan rugby team stranded in the Andes" tough.

Spoiler

I know they really didn't have a choice, but they apparently ate the flesh raw.  🤑

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
To add gross stuff

On 1/15/2024 at 12:41 PM, Pam Cummings said:

Fool Me Once is decent. This lady is a genius at getting people to watch her kid.

We finished it last night.  For me, Maya has it all going on.  Just the right amount of cockney accent in addition to the pretty face and figure.  She seems tiny though which is not all bad.  

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

We finished it last night.  For me, Maya has it all going on.  Just the right amount of cockney accent in addition to the pretty face and figure.  She seems tiny though which is not all bad.  

Oh yeah. Definite wheelhouse. She had it going on for sure.

Dude that played her friend/copilot was a dead ringer for Rob McElhenney.

• Hook 'Em 1

American Nightmare was released today. If you’re into true crime docs it’s the best one Netflix has come out with a while, absolutely insane story. And holy shit the police are evil. 

Just watched. Blown away.

Finished American Nightmare last night.

Spoiler

Man, I still have questions. No idea why that dude was attempting to kidnap the ex? Also, in the video of Denise walking up to her parents' house.... that did not look like a hostage that had just been released by their captor seconds earlier. I don't know, the entire thing still seemed fishy even at the end.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Finished American Nightmare last night.

Hide contents

Man, I still have questions. No idea why that dude was attempting to kidnap the ex? Also, in the video of Denise walking up to her parents' house.... that did not look like a hostage that had just been released by their captor seconds earlier. I don't know, the entire thing still seemed fishy even at the end.

Spoiler

i assumed he had been stalking the ex on his peeping tom outings. she may have been walking slow because she had been drugged and was probably in shock from the whole ordeal.  we probably will never know the reason she was taken because the vallejo pd is full of fucking idiots.

the horrifying thing to me as the father of 2 girls was how many people in the story had been assaulted multiple times.  disgusting.