Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Watched the first episode of Killer Paradox last night. Will definitely stick with it. Korean crime drama that just came out last weekend. About a timid college kid that "accidentally" kills a guy and the detective assigned to investigate. 100% on RT and user scores are very good too.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/a_killer_paradox/s01

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2024 at 7:55 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I finished the 6 part Alexander, the making of a god.  I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was a good blend of dramatic reenactment and discussions by historians.  They were good about including the historians talking about what was based on historical records and what was speculation. Stateira was a real slut.

They have a similarly good series on Rome (3 seasons, one covers Comodus) and 2 season on Constanopule.  Couldn’t get into one they tried to do Japan. 

16 hours ago, Skipper said:

Well climber is the exact scene I was thinking of.  That is the episode I left off yesterday.  Ridiculous.   Show is still solid enough for what I need out of it (something to watch while doing cardio) but that's some lazy fucking writing.  Or maybe just intentionally bad in that respect? 

It got worse as it went on and i found the finish to be not good.

Also yeah the Cowboy character was just unbelievable and dumb.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

We just finished episode 3 and the writing is laughably bad. Also first episode-transporter just leaves patient outside hospital alone to take a phone call?  Yeah that happens all the time. SMH. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:28 PM, Storm the Field said:

Watched the first episode of Killer Paradox last night. Will definitely stick with it. Korean crime drama that just came out last weekend. About a timid college kid that "accidentally" kills a guy and the detective assigned to investigate. 100% on RT and user scores are very good too.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/a_killer_paradox/s01

I've watched three so far and have enjoyed its novelty. Dubbing has been a distraction a couple of times (especially early on), but I really like the storyline with all the goofy connections.

Edited by bolverk

On 2/14/2024 at 8:35 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Lover Stalker Killer true crime doc was pretty wild.

i figured out what happened pretty quickly, but that’s only because this isn’t the first true crime doc of its kind, and i’ve seen scenarios like this one play out before. bottom line:

Spoiler

bitches. be. crazy. jesus fucking christ. i mean the fact that i knew it was liz pretty early on simply because i’ve seen women do this shit before is bad enough, but this bitch is next level kookoo for coco puffs. this soulless fuckin bitch burned her own pets alive because the guy she was causally seeing/barely knew started casually seeing another chick. absolute fucking psychopath.

also, makeup companies should just use courtroom footage paired with free world footage and photos for their advertising. it’s amazing how these chicks age 20 years and go from “meh” to fugly when you take away their use of makeup, fake hair, fake eyelashes, lips, teeth, etc.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shot Caller is back on. Shawshank is the undisputed GOAT prison movie. But Shot Caller might be Number 2. 

My sincerest apologies to Green Mile, Escape From Alcatraz, and American Me. All great films. 

Someone hasn't seen Cool Hand Luke I guess

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

A Killer Paradox  

Korean movie that starts slow but becomes very good. It's got the usual Korean narrative curveballs and some very good characters. 

I love the range from quirkiness to a few scenes that are very moving. It's not immortal, but it's enjoyable. The director/editor has a mania for scene transitions that are clever but so good sometimes that I get confused about where we are.

Warrior

It was apparently a Cinemax show that HBO picked up for its 3 rd season. On Netflix now.

Wife and I are started S2 this week.

Pretty decent little show about the Chinese immigration to 19th century San Francisco and the Chinese Tongs.

I guess it used the original Bruce Lee ideas pre-Kung Fu show.

It’s amusing how they use Chinese w/ subtitles, English between the Chinese people and then when a Chinese person speaks English to an American they have a heavy “accent”.

Resident Alien

Not something I would have picked to watch - the premise sounds dumb.  My wife selected it and I humored her.

This might be the best series the SYFY channel has ever made.  And while that is, IMO, a fairly low bar, this show is actually quite entertaining.  It is dumb, but it doesn't take itself too seriously, so it kind of works.  It's based on a comic book apparently.

Beginning of season 2 at UFO convention brought the funny.

2 seasons available on Netflix without commercials.  First few episodes of season 3 available on Peacock (with commercials).  New episodes for season 3 airing on SYFY on Wednesdays.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:18 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Shot Caller is back on. Shawshank is the undisputed GOAT prison movie. But Shot Caller might be Number 2. 

My sincerest apologies to Green Mile, Escape From Alcatraz, and American Me. All great films. 

Blood in blood out!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 1:01 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Warrior

It was apparently a Cinemax show that HBO picked up for its 3 rd season. On Netflix now.

Wife and I are started S2 this week.

Pretty decent little show about the Chinese immigration to 19th century San Francisco and the Chinese Tongs.

I guess it used the original Bruce Lee ideas pre-Kung Fu show.

It’s amusing how they use Chinese w/ subtitles, English between the Chinese people and then when a Chinese person speaks English to an American they have a heavy “accent”.

It was good show especially if you fast forward every scene with the mayor’s wife or her sister in it. They were each an absolute beating. Found myself rooting for Mayor during fight scene. 

Couple episodes into The Tourist. Pretty good so far.

This should have been better than it was but the writing sucked in the last three. We thought fucking Issa Lopez wrote it.

So the location was Ireland because Jamie Dornan refused to go back to Australia and wanted to stay near the family for filming.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:32 PM, Pokoloco said:

Just finished One Day with the wife. Complete chick show..there was a movie in 2011. Leo Woodall is really good. 

Actually a nice little series.  Wife cried the last two episodes, and is still talking about the series. 

• Like 1

It was good show especially if you fast forward every scene with the mayor’s wife or her sister in it. They were each an absolute beating. Found myself rooting for Mayor during fight scene. 

We are in the middle of S2, the sister is killing us!!! My wife and I both Wanna slap her hard

On 1/9/2024 at 5:10 PM, WashHorn said:

I’ve reread the series several times and recognized very little from the trailers. This being one of my all-time favorite series, I have major concerns B&W are improvising far too much. They did such a great job adapting GOT seasons 1-5, I had high hopes for this. I’ll watch but my expectations are greatly diminished. 

On 1/11/2024 at 12:31 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Reading the article mentioned above, they decided to adapt it for a global audience since they already had a Chinese TV series, made for Chinese audiences (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Body)

Reveal hidden contents

The three creators (Benioff, Weiss, and Woo) spoke to author Cixin Liu on Zoom early in their creative process and received the novelist’s blessing to adapt his work — and he encouraged them to make necessary narrative changes. Some of those key changes include chronological shifts, character tweaks, expansions, additions, and setting the present-day story primarily in the UK. 

First two eps of Three Body Problem premiered at SXSW tonight and review embargo is lifted. I’ll definitely watch, but with tempered expectations.

All eight eps out March 21

IMG_7613.thumb.png.cca77127d17eb55d685fac052bcf055f.png

Damsel with Millie Bobby Brown

Can a movie get more cookie cutter than this? Every plot turn is telegraphed. Every character is predictable and paper thin. It's not so much of a story as it is a series of pivotal "moments". Everything in-between just leads up to those moments.

It's not terrible. It's just lazy and forgettable. And if MBB can act, this movie doesn't showcase it.

Just now, ajax said:

Damsel with Millie Bobby Brown

Can a movie get more cookie cutter than this? Every plot turn is telegraphed. Every character is predictable and paper thin. It's not so much of a story as it is a series of pivotal "moments". Everything in-between just leads up to those moments.

It's not terrible. It's just lazy and forgettable. And if MBB can act, this movie doesn't showcase it.

I watched it via Tudum a while back. So forgettable 

On 2/23/2024 at 9:18 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Shawshank is the undisputed GOAT prison movie. But Shot Caller might be Number 2. 

This is a laughable take on "prison movies". 

A Prophet, Le Trou, A Man Escaped, In the Name of the Father, just as far as Euro prison movies.

Papillon, Bad Boys (Sean Penn), Midnight Express

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob

On 3/9/2024 at 12:35 AM, LonghornSean said:

First two eps of Three Body Problem premiered at SXSW tonight and review embargo is lifted. I’ll definitely watch, but with tempered expectations.

All eight eps out March 21

IMG_7613.thumb.png.cca77127d17eb55d685fac052bcf055f.png

https://www.ign.com/articles/3-body-problem-review-netflix-benioff-weiss

I'm stoked for it.  Benedict Wong as Da Shi is pretty much perfect casting.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/10/2024 at 1:33 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Everyone’s talking about the program.  Not the program we know. Starting defense place at the the table. But some private school behavior stuff

It's a story that needs to be out there and an issue that needs to be dealt with...... that being said, the doc was irritating as hell as the girl making it and her friends spent half the doc acting like dumb little giddy teenagers. 

On 3/10/2024 at 1:25 PM, tbone_ said:

I thought Fool Me Once was pretty good.

I have 2 episodes left. I am leaning towards enjoyment, but some of the coincidents are a stretch. I have no idea how she keeps her kid since she abandons the kid frequently. I would not have written the kid in the series since she serves no purpose, well, besides to be left a lot. 

added:

The chick who plays Maya is beautiful. Distractingly so

Edited by nineliveslost
added chick comment

I have 2 episodes left. I am leaning towards enjoyment, but some of the coincidents are a stretch. I have no idea how she keeps her kid since she abandons the kid frequently. I would not have written the kid in the series since she serves no purpose, well, besides to be left a lot. 
added:
The chick who plays Maya is beautiful. Distractingly so

All relevant comments. I was able to look past that stuff and just generally enjoy it as a good whodunnit.

And yes she it hot af