Overlord. EVERYTHING that is wrong with cinema today.

Parliament

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Get off my lawn warning:

Why is everything so fucking dark(lighting) in modern cinema.  Between that and the mumbling epidemic I can't stand it.

The mumbling epidemic is driving me batshit.  I feel like I'm losing my hearing when I know I'm not.

Game of Thrones was the worst- and I love that show.  We would have to turn the volume all the way up, and then add the soundbar, just to hear what the fuck people were saying.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The mumbling epidemic is driving me batshit.  I feel like I'm losing my hearing when I know I'm not.

Game of Thrones was the worst- and I love that show.  We would have to turn the volume all the way up, and then add the soundbar, just to hear what the fuck people were saying.

Glad I’m not the only one who can’t understand TF they are saying. I have to watch it with the subtitles. 

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

Overlord. EVERYTHING that is wrong with cinema today.

These movies aren't exactly the industry seeing what turds stick when thrown at the wall.  They're giving the American audience something that has a good chance of being a solid product, and possibly something that will sell very well.  The thing that's "wrong" is the consumer.  But you're also right because the movies just aren't what they were, like in the 80s for example.  The epic action flick Raiders otla has more dialog than any kid today could deal with, and it was the non stop action flick of it's day.  

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Mumbling combined with jiggly camera syndrome.  When was the last time you saw a 7 minute dialogue scene that looked like you were watching it on stage?

On 7/20/2018 at 10:51 AM, henrygandorf said:

when i saw this trailer i thought it was a video game.  i don't play video games but thought it would be a cool one.

Exactly. Cool computer graphics of movies we've already seen, but we can walk through this one kill Nazi Zombies.

We live in great days.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:21 AM, Incredulity said:

Get off my lawn warning:

Why is everything so fucking dark(lighting) in modern cinema.  Between that and the mumbling epidemic I can't stand it.

Man, I couldn’t possibly have said it any better.

The mumbling is particularly maddening...Jesus 

Edited by former alkie

On 7/20/2018 at 11:18 AM, Macanudo said:

An African-American Paratrooper in WWII.   Now there's something you didn't see very day.   Or any day.

Actually, there was the Triple Nickel, 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion that was first a company in 1943 and later Battalion size in late 1944. All Colored (African-American) unit with Colored Officers that was to be sent into the Battle of the Bulge, but the unit never made it to "full" Battalion strength and the crisis ended before they were sent. They were later deployed to the west coast and used as the first paratroopers / "smoke jumpers" to fight forest fires in the Pacific NW that were started by the Japanese fire balloon bombs (Fu-Go) in 1945. Fifteen different fires were jumped onto.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Like 3

For those complaining about mumbling in modern movies, do you have a home theater setup? I didn't until recently and could never understand shit. Now I have a 7.1 setup, and having a dedicated speaker just for dialogue has been night and day. Hardly ever use close captions these days. All of these movies are designed specifically--and almost exclusively--for surround sound, and everything gets muffled together without it.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:26 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Actually, there was the Triple Nickel, 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion that was first a company in 1943 and later Battalion size in late 1944. All Colored (African-American) unit with Colored Officers that was to be sent into the Battle of the Bulge, but the unit never made it to "full" Battalion strength and the crisis ended before they were sent. They were later deployed to the west coast and used as the first paratroopers / "smoke jumpers" to fight forest fires in the Pacific NW that were started by the Japanese fire balloon bombs (Fu-Go) in 1945. Fifteen different fires were jumped onto.

Lob,

BGH did that for us.  Except that the 55th did not land on D-Day and the 82nd was not an integrated unit.  I stand corrected on whether they were paratroopers but they didn't land at Normandy.

• 3 months later...

It was just what I was expecting.  Mad Nazi scientist experimenting on the people they invaded in an attempt to dominate the world.  They aren't the first to explore zombie nazis but they did a decent job.  I give it a B-.  Such a secret project wouldn't have been that close to the front lines so that is a little hard to believe but, you know, zombies so who am I to complain.   And it could have been so much better with some better action shots and more zombies.  The zombies were 28 days later/WWZ types (raging runners).  There were some cool shots (looking at you talking spinal chord) and plenty of gore.  I thought the lead actor did a pretty good job.  Some of the support, not so much.  

It's the same as the problems with modern music. It's not about art, it's about making money. They have broken down the different parts of the movie, figured out what makes the most money in each of these areas, then created a formula for movie making that has guaranteed the best returns. At least movies are a bit different than music, music actually gets played everywhere through Payola, and then your subconscious starts liking shit music because it's familiar. 

On 11/12/2018 at 9:21 PM, GottaB said:

They aren't the first to explore zombie nazis but they did a decent job.  

When I heard about this, i had a similar reaction.  Over the last 10 years, I've probably watched 10-15 zombie-nazi movies. (I like horror films, so I end up watching a ton of truly awful movies)   And I've seen more than a hundred nazi-themed movies.  Seems like Hollywood kicks out a few evil nazi stories every year...for a while there, anything nazi-related was getting oscar attention, thought that's not really the case anymore.   Zombie-nazi movies are usually made by small budget indie types...or micro budget groups.   And they're almost universally stupid.    "Dead Snow" was funny in a few spots.  I can't remember anything specific about it, except I remember laughing a couple times.   

Did the star wars movie wear burn Abrams out?   Is he going to start doing Grindhouse type films now?  

Edited by Monster