Johnny (football?) Manziel

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Watched it last night. Although I believe strongly that no one is beyond redemption, he comes pretty close. I didn’t think it was possible, but I like him even less after watching it. 

As a show, it also falls flat. There’s no story arc, because he hasn’t hit rock bottom, hasn’t turned his life around, hasn’t done anything. He’s just a frat boy with no skills, no education, and some invisible means of support allowing him to live his frat boy life in Scottsdale. Netflix definitely should have put the film on ice until he either died or really changed direction. It’s about the worst of the Untold stories. 

aggy comes across as pathetic in the show. They emphatically make the point that they were mediocre at best before going into the SECX3. That strongly contradicts aggy mythology. And they don’t point out that, despite the improbable JFF victory in Tuscaloosa, aggy remains mediocre at best. Hall of champions remains empty. No championships, no champions. JFF ended up with the Heisman, but it didn’t matter.  And he certainly doesn’t care about aggy. 

And to top it off, the pinnacle of their entire football history is a guy that now has a face tat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

I have no inside knowledge, but I feel pretty comfortable asserting that JM's story of all the "for sale" signs being put in his front yard after the Florida game is 100% pure uncut bullshit.

I felt the same way about the failed suicide attempt that they quickly moved past. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I felt the same way about the failed suicide attempt that they quickly moved past. 

Ha. Yea, good point. There was zero fluff with the “suicide failed attempt “. That’s uh….kind of a big deal.

Probably could’ve stretched this into 5 hrs out of this shit show to be honest, and they’d still leave stuff out.

I loved how they stopped showing the season record at 6-2 and they didn't show the second loss either.

50 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ha. Yea, good point. There was zero fluff with the “suicide failed attempt “. That’s uh….kind of a big deal.

Probably could’ve stretched this into 5 hrs out of this shit show to be honest, and they’d still leave stuff out.

"The gun just clicked..." sounds so fucking G, amirite.

there is so much bullshit in that family it could fill up JFF's scottsdale house.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I loved how they stopped showing the season record at 6-2 and they didn't show the second loss either.

Yeah, they finished 11-2 that year. 

His sophomore year they showed him saying “there’s no way that team we had should’ve finished 8-4” and paired it with footage of Kyle field being imploded.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The thing that I thought was most fucked is that they completely glossed over him being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This guy goes on massive manic benders and talks about how depressed he was in Cleveland and all the self-medication through alcohol/drugs and how self-destructive he is and he's completely thrown away his life and was suicidal, and on and on. You can't just say he's an entitled brat. The dude is mentally ill. He got a biological problem that they straight up don't talk about. You don't do all the shit he did and throw your life away just because you are entitled. The guy clearly isn't stupid if you listen to him for even a minute. We can dunk on the guy for being an aggie and that the biggest figure in their program's mediocre history is a joke, but there is a real human tragedy here that the producers of this show completely missed.

Well, he's obviously an addict, too, and that's mental health/biological problem as well.  I don't think there's really much to talk about there because I don't think he's making much effort at recovery or even acknowledging a problem.

He would have had to have been diagnosed bipolar during an extended period of sobriety for the diagnosis to be valid.

He certainly seems to be on a more even keel than he has been, but seeing him smokin a wooler and drinking a stella was disheartening.  And the guy has no business owning/running a shot bar in malfunction junction.  He seemed to be pretty honest, too, which is not something you often see from active addicts.  Weird.

Just a matter of time before he implodes again in spectacular fashion, I imagine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This show played like a college project where the kids scrambled to finish before the deadline. Way too much airtime for Liucci ("blue collar school" set me off). Wonder if Zwerneman is pissed he wasn't featured at all. Also wonder if any Manziels were paid or otherwise enticed to participate in this. I would call it a fluff project, they used most of the bad stuff to elicit sympathy for him rather than point out he was and is a scamming pos

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 11:43 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, wasn't his dad a sales manager at a Honda dealership or something.

The national media heard "Texas oil money" and fell for it.

Yes, his dad was the sales manager at Tower Honda in Longview. We bought a car from there around 2011. We received a thank you note in the mail from the dad. The note had the Honda Tower letterhead at the top with the aTm logo at the bottom.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yes, his dad was the sales manager at Tower Honda in Longview. We bought a car from there around 2011. We received a thank you note in the mail from the dad. The note had the Honda Tower letterhead at the top with the aTm logo at the bottom.

Was there another Honda dealership within a 250 mile radius?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Was there another Honda dealership within a 250 mile radius?

Jack O Diamonds in Tyler. Shreveport also. 
And it’s only about 130 miles from Longview to Dallas, with all the Honda dealers in the eastern Dallas suburbs. 

Edited by nnm

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

Jack O Diamonds in Tyler. Shreveport also. 
And it’s only about 130 miles from Longview to Dallas, with all the Honda dealers in the eastern Dallas suburbs. 

I was being a little sarcastic, but you probably knew that.  If you send me a thank you note with the aggy logo on it, from a business that has no affiliation with aggy, I will cease to be a customer.  I’m sure it plays well in Longview.

• Like 2

If you are inundated with aggies raving and reminiscing about Manziel this week kindly remind them that Kellen Mond was their greatest QB. He is the all time leader in TDs, yards, and major bowl wins. He's also the first QB in aggy history to finish in the top 4* since John Kimbrough led the ags to the 1939 championship. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If you are inundated with aggies raving and reminiscing about Manziel this week kindly remind them that Kellen Mond was their greatest QB. He is the all time leader in TDs, yards, and major bowl wins. He's also the first QB in aggy history to finish in the top 4* since John Kimbrough led the ags to the 1939 championship. 

Yeah but Sully, ya stoopid sip. 

So....

My thoughts; the only thing that was eye opening/surprising to me was the way Kliff Kingsbury's face looked so fucked up.

Other than that, I wasted my time watching a piece that lacked a lot of depth.

Yeah, his family was dysfunctional and all but they didn't get that much into that.

Nor most of his behavior.

All of it was on the surface.

Especially Manziel's admission of losing contact with Uncle Nate.

• Like 1

I know it borders on a "hot take" but he really wasn't that great.  (Good, yes.)  They sort of glanced at it during the NFL piece but he just wasn't physically good enough to show up and not study.  (No one is, really.)  He was good at Aggy because he was surrounded by NFL guys.  He was smallish, slower than thought, and had an average arm.

That's not hindsight, either.  I remember one scout pointing that out.  He said if you watched all of the cil, Manziel took off running when he had people wide open down field.  He just didn't see them.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Mostly true but now if you have a full sleeve, you're an artisanal chef or something.  Actually, sleeves are OK even in corporate America now but face tats never have been and never will be, ever.

You say that now, but that's what everyone thought about full sleeves a generation ago.  The idiocracy is real.

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

J’Marcus watched tape. He just didn’t understand it.

On this week's edition of "The Rich Eisen Podcast," Eisen passed along a version of the story from Warren Sapp, who was a teammate of Russell's on the Oakland Raiders. The coaches would send Russell home with a game-plan DVD loaded with plays and ideas to study. Suspecting that their bonus-baby quarterback was skipping his homework, the coaches slipped in a blank DVD one day. When Russell returned, he reportedly said the game plan looked good to him.

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mostly true but now if you have a full sleeve, you're an artisanal chef or something.  Actually, sleeves are OK even in corporate America now but face tats never have been and never will be, ever.

Lulz. I’m like 40% covered or so. No face or hand tattoos. I work a white collar job in O&G. I pay taxes.
  • Hook 'Em 2

So....
My thoughts; the only thing that was eye opening/surprising to me was the way Kliff Kingsbury's face looked so fucked up.
Other than that, I wasted my time watching a piece that lacked a lot of depth.
Yeah, his family was dysfunctional and all but they didn't get that much into that.
Nor most of his behavior.
All of it was on the surface.
Especially Manziel's admission of losing contact with Uncle Nate.

Yeah, I’ve got zero interest in watching something that no doubt brings pride and joy to aggy-dom.

All I know is Billy Luicci is one ugly MFer. 

Honestly I didn’t know Johnny and Looch kept close contact. I thought Looch was just a boot licker that would ask Johnny how high when told to jump. I didn’t think he’d have any involvement with pro days or private work outs before seeing this. Just don’t see the appeal to having a message board owner being near the top of your contact list if you’re college footballs biggest attraction.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:56 PM, MIkeHoncho said:

love how his dad blame's the aggy corches

blame's?

On 8/9/2023 at 2:31 PM, Lymanward said:

Story I heard way back when was this: Manziel, his sister, mom and dad didn’t have a pot to piss in as you might expect, but an uncle, maybe mom’s brother, hit a nice lick doing something, selling ranches maybe. He gifted each of them $200k or so, (probably to get them off his ass) and that was why manziel was Mr Drinks On Me for the aggy years and where the family money myth began. Of course they all pissed it away which is why dad was back to selling Toyota’s in a few years. Not sure if true but it explains some things. 

Toyota's??

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Wanna be counter-cultural, a rebel? Don’t get a tattoo. 
Wanna be a conformist? Get tattoos. Preferably a lot of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I know it borders on a "hot take" but he really wasn't that great.  (Good, yes.)  They sort of glanced at it during the NFL piece but he just wasn't physically good enough to show up and not study.  (No one is, really.)  He was good at Aggy because he was surrounded by NFL guys.  He was smallish, slower than thought, and had an average arm.

That's not hindsight, either.  I remember one scout pointing that out.  He said if you watched all of the cil, Manziel took off running when he had people wide open down field.  He just didn't see them.

Mike Evans bailed him out of a lot of dumb throws too

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Man, Aggy is lucky as fuck that the NCAA is completely powerless to do anything except sell broadcast rights to a basketball tournament that member schools host. The admission of the improper benefits and obvious lie about having family money would be USC-type bad news for them. This was way worse than Reggie Bush and the coaches all knew he didn't come from a rich family so they are way more complicit than USC was since Manziel was all over social media and regular media spending his money.

The IRS, however, is alive and kicking and loves to come get people like Johnny. He better start getting really quiet or he is going to get garnished for life.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Man, Aggy is lucky as fuck that the NCAA is completely powerless to do anything except sell broadcast rights to a basketball tournament that member schools host. The admission of the improper benefits and obvious lie about having family money would be USC-type bad news for them. This was way worse than Reggie Bush and the coaches all knew he didn't come from a rich family so they are way more complicit than USC was since Manziel was all over social media and regular media spending his money.
The IRS, however, is alive and kicking and loves to come get people like Johnny. He better start getting really quiet or he is going to get garnished for life.

All this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Flaming hot take.  He literally changed the whole trajectory of the aggies.  They said the football foundation raised an extra 200 or 300 million than ever before after his freshman season.  

He was a great college qb who didn't have the tangible needs to make it in the NFL and more importantly the work ethic, but to say he wasn't a great college qb is a wild take.

He's like Tim Tebow, but completely different brains.  

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

You say that now, but that's what everyone thought about full sleeves a generation ago.  The idiocracy is real.

My daughter goes to school at Westlake with kids that already have full or partial sleeves. It’s still startles me when I see it. 

• Rage+1 1

Lulz. I’m like 40% covered or so. No face or hand tattoos. I work a white collar job in O&G. I pay taxes.

I’d bet most of your tats can be covered with a t shirt and pair of jeans. And all of them can be covered with a long sleeve shirt.

Wanna be counter-cultural, a rebel? Don’t get a tattoo. 
Wanna be a conformist? Get tattoos. Preferably a lot of them. 

I saw a meme on Facebook once asking if butterflies got tattoos of fat sluts on them. People were losing their shit.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, they finished 11-2 that year. 

His sophomore year they showed him saying “there’s no way that team we had should’ve finished 8-4” and paired it with footage of Kyle field being imploded.

Johnny forget about the aggy win plateau? The SEC surprise of 2013 wasn't that aggy went 9-4. It was that Mizzou went 12-2. (Records after bowl wins by both.)

Edited by n64ra

On 8/10/2023 at 11:41 AM, dcar00 said:

"The gun just clicked..." sounds so fucking G, amirite.

there is so much bullshit in that family it could fill up JFF's scottsdale house.

leave it to an aggy to try to off himself with an unloaded gun...

queue plywood behind the glass pic...