Best Actor - 40 & Below

I mean I get Driver is 40.5 so he still technically qualifies based on the semantics of the thread title but probably shouldn't really do that.  Doesn't it have to be Emma Stone?  Jeremy Allen White is coming on strong if sticking strictly to males.  Chalamet is obviously an easy choice as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

For me personally it would be Jesse Plemons. His performances resonate more with me than any other younger actor or actress and the range of characters that he can do is pretty cool. 

This. Plemmons will get ahold of the right role at some point and win an Oscar.

Probably more than one.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

For me personally it would be Jesse Plemons. His performances resonate more with me than any other younger actor or actress and the range of characters that he can do is pretty cool. 

I 100% agree.  Not just because I'm friends with most of his family, but dude is rounding into the 2nd coming of Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Just has that mystique about him that every character he plays is absolute gold.  Phenomenal actor, and damned fine Texan.  

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I 100% agree.  Not just because I'm friends with most of his family, but dude is rounding into the 2nd coming of Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Just has that mystique about him that every character he plays is absolute gold.  Phenomenal actor, and damned fine Texan.  

Let's see him play something besides a psychopath 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Take it you missed the lovable best friend Lance in FNL? 

Well he killed a man.

His Shiner commercials aren't good

5 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Paul Mescal if he pulls off Gladiator

His acting in Normal People was incredible. I haven't seen anything else, but he was so good in that, I might agree with this. I heard he was great in Aftersun.

Robert Pattinson is a pretty fucking good actor.

I think Tom Holland is underrated but hasn't gotten a ton of opportunities to show it off.

Miles Teller is generally solid.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

hailee steinfeld blew me away in true grit and then i haven’t heard of her since then (i don’t really watch movies tbf). what happened to her?

She’s been in a lot of shit. She’s also a pop artist and she’s dating Josh Allen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

hailee steinfeld blew me away in true grit and then i haven’t heard of her since then (i don’t really watch movies tbf). what happened to her?

She started making shitty music. 

Some other good ones:
Michael B Jordan (37) - Fruitvale Station, Creed, Black Panther, Just Mercy

Daniel Kaluuya (35) - Get Out, Nope, Judas & Black Messiah

Austin Butler (33) - Elvis, Dune 2

Chris Hemsworth (40) - Thor, Extraction, Rush, Cabin in the Woods

Taron Egerton (35) - Rocketman, Kingsmen, Eddie the Eagle

Dev Patel

Michael Cera

That's all I could come with for under 40. I was going to add Kieren Culkin, but he's 41.

None of these guys are in Emma Stone's class. Cynthia Erivo has been very good in some things, as well.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 1:44 PM, definitely not derka said:

Put her pop career first. Did the Pitch Perfect sequels and some other lesser-known stuff, like Dickinson.

19 hours ago, Haphap said:

Olivia Cooke. 

Good call. She had a small part in Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl that she knocked out of the park, well before her House of the Dragon days.

I submit Zendaya. Reminds me of Jesse Plemons how she nails every (very versatile) role she's ever taken in her post- pop-TV time. 

21 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I submit Zendaya. Reminds me of Jesse Plemons how she nails every (very versatile) role she's ever taken in her post- pop-TV time. 

I watched Challengers this week and that movie was all over the place, but mostly in a fun way. Ostensibly it had to do with tennis, but mostly about the two guys fighting for her. It was a good watch once I thought about what I saw later on after I left.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

No mention of Margot Robbie?  She’s great in everything she’s in. Just oozes charisma. Probably the biggest movie star in the world currently. Zendaya is an up and comer. 

It’s Margot vs Emma Stone right now and that’s really the only serious conversation to be had. But lots of potential in the current under 30 crew.

Actor is now commonly used to reference both male and female 

Yes both 

Agree, Emma Stone by a mile. 

Top 5

1. Emma Stone 

2. Adam Driver 

3. Margot Robbie 

4. Timothy Chalamet 

5. Barry Keoghan/Jesse Plemmons 

Most of the top names listed I'd watch if I saw their names in the cast--Emma Stone for certain, absolutely love her; Margot Robbie, Florence Pugh, Anya Taylor Joy, Saoirse Ronan, Jodie Comer, Carey Mulligan, Zendaya along with the males. Completely agree about Jesse Plemons, Adam Driver, Barry Keoghan, Dev Patel, and Michael B Jordan but I'm not completely overwhelmed by Chalamet and Butler. I haven't seen as many of their movies though so I may not be giving them a fair shot. Andrew Garfield is 40 right now so kind of a squeaker on the age bit but he is amazing in whatever he does.

At 39, Scarlett Johansson is on my list as well, along with Janelle Monae and Lashana Lynch.

I'm rather delighted at the range of talent in the <40 category, it bodes well for the movies yet to come.

On 5/18/2024 at 12:44 PM, definitely not derka said:

she got fucking hot as shit.  at least she did for me.  I’ve talked to some people who don’t share my opinion. 

Posted (edited)

Oh, I forgot to add that Jesse Plemons and Emma Stone are set to reunite in another Lanthimos film, Bugonia. Stone, if I understand correctly, finds working with familiar cast & crew preferable (hence the Gosling/Stone 3 movies together), and this will be something like her fifth film (including shorts) with the director. It seems to be a good formula for her cause she's done some fantastic work. Would love to see her reunite with Garfield in a non-Marvel/Sony drama piece, but the pap/fan drama would be insane so can't say I'd blame them for avoiding that.

Added an edit to include another female. I ended up with a lot more females on my list than males but then realized that the 40-50 year age group for males has so much talent (Gosling, Redmayne, Andrew Scott, Cumberbatch, Reynolds, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rami Malek, Joaquin Phoenix, Bradley Cooper, etc) that it may be harder for the younger guys to break into certain roles.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Ana de Armas is another actress under 40 whose acting I enjoy.

Yeesh, all fine actors but the pool is quite shallow. 

Really an indictment on the lack of original scripts/stories on a budget that would give opportunities to unknown and unremarkable looking talents to come out of the woodwork. 

4 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

No love for our boy Glen Powell?

Glen Powell was the best thing about "Everybody Wants Some" (and that was a typically strong Linklater cast), but he's not had the opportunity (or chased it) to show versatility. 

I still vote for Chalamet but Emma Stone is worthwhile for the same reason--they are both willing to take very big swings. 

On 5/18/2024 at 7:48 PM, HookEm said:

Michael B Jordan (37) - Fruitvale Station, Creed, Black Panther, Just Mercy

A worthy suggestion but he's following the Cruise career path where his preference is to not disappear into the role entirely.  Cruise, particularly after Eyes Wide Shut, just got risk averse. 

On 5/18/2024 at 1:44 PM, definitely not derka said:

She's still really young and is always the best part of whatever she's in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Glen Powell was the best thing about "Everybody Wants Some" (and that was a typically strong Linklater cast), but he's not had the opportunity (or chased it) to show versatility. 

I still vote for Chalamet but Emma Stone is worthwhile for the same reason--they are both willing to take very big swings. 

A worthy suggestion but he's following the Cruise career path where his preference is to not disappear into the role entirely.  Cruise, particularly after Eyes Wide Shut, just got risk averse. 

She's still really young and is always the best part of whatever she's in. 

Steinfeld was pretty good in Hawkeye and then she stopped acting. I guess to pursue her musical career. It hae worked well for Sabrina Carpenter, and that’s pretty low bar for Hailee to clear. Hopefully she makes a movie this year.