Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fickells Cincy teams look better and more complete than Herman or Strongs Houston/Louisville teams. 

the guy has done a good job evaluating big and fast guys and getting them to cincy and developing. 

Right?  Texas should "accidentally" recruit Top 10 classes each year.  Combine that with competent coaching  = being competitive each year and, quite often, making the playoffs.  It's not gdamned rocket science.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I know. Sad. Dark times are ahead yet again. However, as slim as it is, even Meyer had to start at Bowling Green, so who knows. We may hit the lottery, but we're more likely to bust. 

Here's my issue.  Meyer did it twice at 2 different schools and went undefeated with the last one. that Utah team was beating the snot out of people even if it was a G5 schedule.

when you have a guy in G5 do it once, especially with less than 4 years you don't know if it is the players or the coach.  we are a cool 0 fer 2 in that department.

I'm not sure what the hell happened to Penn State this year but Franklin had a great resume.  Fleck is a fucking no go.  We are in a dire situation.  we need someone who can flip the recruiting on a dime(especially the OL and WR) and who we know can coach.

It sucks we let FUMB and then Patterson completely change the direction of the program with the Korn Ferry bullshit.

I guess we could money whip Cristobal but I'm not really sold on him either.  meyer could win this confence in his sleep. We just need him for 5-6 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Here's my issue.  Meyer did it twice at 2 different schools and went undefeated with the last one. that Utah team was beating the snot out of people even if it was a G5 schedule.

when you have a guy in G5 do it once, especially with less than 4 years you don't know if it is the players or the coach.  we are a cool 0 fer 2 in that department.

I'm not sure what the hell happened to Penn State this year but Franklin had a great resume.  Fleck is a fucking no go.  We are in a dire situation.  we need someone who can flip the recruiting on a dime(especially the OL and WR) and who we know can coach.

It sucks we let FUMB and then Patterson completely change the direction of the program with the Korn Ferry bullshit.

I guess we could money whip Cristobal but I'm not really sold on him either.  meyer could win this confence in his sleep. We just need him for 5-6 years.

Agree with all of this. I'm definitely not sold on Cristobal, either. Dude can recruit in his sleep, but I don't think he can handle this conference week to week. Jmo. 

Like you said, Meyer could wn this conference in his sleep. 

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fickells Cincy teams look better and more complete than Herman or Strongs Houston/Louisville teams. 

the guy has done a good job evaluating big and fast guys and getting them to cincy and developing. 

Fickell would probably the the obvious choice but I feel like people will be wary of hiring an overperforming G5 coach when the last two we hired haven't really worked out

47 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I ran the numbers a few weeks back and after you factor in the buyouts we basically paid Strong and Herman $10M/season. Might as well give that salary to a coach who is much more likely to earn it in Urban Meyer.

But also to be considered: ROI. A winner here has multiples of secondary gain for the university - from corporate sponsorship to donors.

The clock was corrected. Not sure what you're talking about with cheating refs but I agree with the rest.

Spots, intentional grounding new rules, no call for roughing, very blatant block in the back, blowing a live play dead for no reason, incorrect dpi/opi calls (no calls). Just a few things.

In spite of that we still had a chance with the players but not with the coaches.

How could anyone with any ounce of integrity like Herman at all? He's a fucking lying piece of shit, that is all smoke and mirrors and no substance. There is no way to defend the amount of excuses he has come up with for all the losses, while simultaneously saying it will be different but it just ends up being more of the same. Herman is the worst kind of salesman, that rides the coattails of others to catapult himself. I'll give it to him that he's damn fucking good at hustling to get to coach at Texas, but many said it early on that he was a fraud, and it just continues to be proven.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Spots, intentional grounding new rules, no call for roughing, very blatant block in the back, blowing a live play dead for no reason, incorrect dpi/opi calls (no calls). Just a few things.

In spite of that we still had a chance with the players but not with the coaches.

It was definitely not pretty in terms of reffing, as usual, but it was easily as bad for them as it was for us. Move along ...

20 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

How could anyone with any ounce of integrity like Herman at all? He's a fucking lying piece of shit, that is all smoke and mirrors and no substance. There is no way to defend the amount of excuses he has come up with for all the losses, while simultaneously saying it will be different but it just ends up being more of the same. Herman is the worst kind of salesman, that rides the coattails of others to catapult himself. I'll give it to him that he's damn fucking good at hustling to get to coach at Texas, but many said it early on that he was a fraud, and it just continues to be proven.

I mean even Charlie Strong's players stood by him as shitty as he was. Hager was openly weeping on the sidelines while we were getting our ass beat down by TCU.

Herman is universally disliked. It is quite impressive 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Texas cannot hire an up and comer this time. The next HC has to be a proven winner that can step in and finally turn this mf'er around. No more calling up young guys from AAA. Time to go spend money on the ace. 

Well, those 4-5 are coaching similar level programs and 1 is possibly not interested (or family) in coaching again, so no one is left except for the up and comers.

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I mean even Charlie Strong's players stood by him as shitty as he was. Hager was openly weeping on the sidelines while we were getting our ass beat down by TCU.

Herman is universally disliked. It is quite impressive 

Not sure about that.  Looks like just a Sam thing.  Herm defended the players on the Eyes and that looks like it will play a big part in his firing

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Bijan had 16 carries with 9 on the first drive...THAT is fireable by itself 

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Wowwwwwwwwwww....7 touches the rest of the game? 

Yep, and we've seen this same shit over and over. It's infuriating, but it's not gonna change. Dude's a fucking idiot. 

At first I thought maybe it was a good sign, but then I came to my senses and realized it was just the bit where we pretend we're going to establish the run and then just stop, even when we're gashing 'em.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They've thumped a solid SMU team the last couple of years.

Are there any Bridgewaters, Wards or Olivers on his roster masking his deficiencies?

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

They've thumped a solid SMU team the last couple of years.

Are there any Bridgewaters, Wards or Olivers on his roster masking his deficiencies?

SMU game was much tighter than the final score would suggest. We played poorly and dropped like 8 balls. But anyone watching should tell you that that is about as high of a level of football you will find outside of the P5 - and we are better this season than we were last year.

Cincy drubbed a pretty decent Memphis team by 39. They are legit - and do not have any one trick ponys masking deficiencies. Their QB can be electric but he's very raw. They are a solidly built team that plays to hit you in the mouth on both sides of the ball. Like a ND lite almost. I'd want nothing to do with them in a NY6 bowl.

(Before anyone puts words in my mouth, however, I'm not sure I'd want Fickel here. Not sure I'd want Dykes either although he is really starting to be a pain in the ass for P5 teams trying to recruit in TX)

Edited by ztejas

24 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

After the second loss to Maryland, everyone should have known he was a fucking fraud.  Matt Rhule farts in his general direction.  

Actually everyone should have known it after the first loss to Maryland. That was an impressive shitshow and a preview of the next four years.

24 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep, and we've seen this same shit over and over. It's infuriating, but it's not gonna change. Dude's a fucking idiot. 

At first I thought maybe it was a good sign, but then I came to my senses and realized it was just the bit where we pretend we're going to establish the run and then just stop, even when we're gashing 'em.

My first comment on the game thread was that if we gave Bijan 30 carries a game we'd be 7-0 (now 8-0).

No one can convince me otherwise. It's such a plainly stupid trend. How many carries did ISU's back get? He had worn our ass out by the 4th quarter. 

• Like 1

The fake punt pass to Cade Brewer behind the sticks is what absolutely convinced me that Mensa already knows he will be fired and dude is just straight trolling on his way out hoping to force CDC’s hand sooner so he doesn’t have to fly to Kansas.

Jokes on you though, Mensa. Whether or not Urbs is locked up, CDC is going to make sure you wear the L against Kansas like your similarly worthless predecessor. 

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think Breece Hall’s (RB, ISU, duh) comments after the game sum up the state of UT football right now (especially under Herman): “It’s five star culture vs five star players.” 

Keep in mind the highest rated recruiting class Iowa State has had in the last decade has been No. 46. Texas has had classes inside the top ten and top twenty with one outlier year. So yeah, I would say that sums up our program. 

Four years into his regime, and not much has changed from when Tom took over. 

I hate we have to start over and hire a new coach. If that’s what we end up doing. I would certainly be more excited about an up and comer if we hadn’t already suffered through Strong and now Herman. 

if Urban is not in play, then I would just hope for a real coaching search where we actually interview the top candidates be it from college or the NFL. Meaning we interview a few of the names that have been mentioned countless times. As fans, we deserve a real search. Moo as always. 

Excellent post.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas