Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Watching all the channels and they are all reporting Zelenskyy has agreed to this bullshit meeting. Can’t they do it on fucking Zoom? He will be killed. I can’t allow this shit.

Agreeing to the meeting and Big Balls personally being there are two different things.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And I’m dead serious about this - pivoting to exploit an unexpected opportunity on the fly is how you win. Most experienced trial lawyers have a story like that - a case where there opponent revealed something previously unknown that they were then able to exploit, with little planning or prep, to completely destroy the opponent. It’s being willing to Chuck your old trial plan out the window, and adopt the new winning plan.
We should do that.

I have been thinking about starting a thread titled, "The long-term geopolitical implications of Russia's FAFO."  Might wanna wait a little longer though.  Don't wanna jynx things.

But I'll ask the question, Is this changing the World more than 9-11?

7 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, if your General Dynamics, I think your future revenue streams based on the Abrams MBT are starting to look a little shaky. Boy this war has exposed the obsolesce of Armor

I think it is more of a tactical deployment issue.  Russian thought they could use armor without the lessons learned in WW1 and it seems they keep jerking it to the battle of Kursk instead of embracing change.    Armor has its place.   But it just another tool that has to be properly used to be effective.   It has its weakness just like everything else.  Their strategy seems about as sound as anchoring our aircraft carriers into dock and using them as airports.  

15 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

This seriously could not have gone worse for Putin. I’m trying to think of literally one thing that has worked out for them, and I’m coming up blank.

Well, they don't have to worry about a bunch of Chechnya mercenaries turning on them as Ukraine killed the poor bastards.

in a worst-case scenario, hypothetically, putin lashes out further, feels cornered or whatever, some hawkish destructive idiot of an advisor suggests pushing the nuke button and putin says ok, fuck it.

while this scenario seems very far-fetched, i'd assume we've considered the remote possibility of that unfolding.

what's an appropriate response from NATO / the US then?

what if it were a chemical weapon or other type of WMD that isn't a nuke, but still causes immense devastation and loss of life?

Now that Russia has been shown to be weak, and the fear is wearing off. I think the next step is for the EU to declare a no-fly zone over Ukraine, and if they do that it'll be practically over and just a matter of time for Russia, since the Ukrainian people have proved they have the meddle to go toe-to-toe on the ground.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Now that Russia has been shown to be weak, and the fear is wearing off. I think the next step is for the EU to declare a no-fly zone over Ukraine, and if they do that it'll be practically over and just a matter of time for Russia, since the Ukrainian people have proved they have the meddle to go toe-to-toe on the ground.

If we did that (any other country) they’d be obligated to shoot down Russian aircraft I’d think and that would be…um…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So is it an English only thing? This isn't a concept that translates to Russian (or Ukrainian). The article doesn't really address that.

Don’t be fatuous, Jeffrey. 

From Wiki

The use of "the Ukraine" is officially deprecated by the Ukrainian government and many English language media publications.

RTA: apologies for my snark. Re-reading your post I see you may have been sincerely asking the question. 

Edited by DDD Dad

42 minutes ago, Chad said:

Gotta hand it to the Ukranians, they're not making it easy on Russia despite being out numbered and largely fighting with Soviet era equipment save for some anti-tank munitions like Javelin missiles. The cowardly Iraqis and Afghans were armed to the teeth with US equipment and laid down like cheap whores when ISIS and the Taliban collided with them.

50,000+ Afghans were killed fighting the Taliban... until the US stopped providing air support. That’s when the folded.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I have been thinking about starting a thread titled, "The long-term geopolitical implications of Russia's FAFO."  Might wanna wait a little longer though.  Don't wanna jynx things.

Well, I think the jury is largely still out on this, but in short I think it has the potential to wind up that way.  It all depends on the outcome of what happens in Russia.  If Vlad is ultimately ousted, then this is likely true.  I think its highly probably at this point that in order for Russia to reemerge into the financial west a few things are now going to have to happen.  1.  Vlad is gone, for good.  2.  Russia must agree to free and fair elections with monitoring from the UN.  3.  Russia must agree to nuclear disarming.  

If this is how this ultimately plays out, then yes, it is more of a game changer than 9/11.  

Also, as others have pointed out, armored warfare is dead.  We the improvement and technology and ease of training troops to use these weapons, having armored vehicles and tanks don't seem to much matter anymore.  Basically, the 3rd largest armored army in the world is getting its ass kicked by guerillas and a light military power, simply because we gave them the proper equipment.  

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Saw this on social media. Not sure if agree completely, but it’s an interesting take. It just seems like the Russian people keep getting fucked harder and harder while the oligarchs and elites keep smearing shit all over the region. Tough place to be in. Maybe it sparks a mass uprising.

C136C533-D70E-482C-B1B6-01E1D83BAB8C.jpeg

'elections' have consequences 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Don’t be fatuous, Jeffrey. 

From Wiki

So we can't even say "The Ukraine" anymore?  Thanks a lot Cancel Culture. 

Can we at least say the "t-word"? 

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I think it is more of a tactical deployment issue.  Russian thought they could use armor without the lessons learned in WW1 and it seems they keep jerking it to the battle of Kursk instead of embracing change.    Armor has its place.   But it just another tool that has to be properly used to be effective.   It has its weakness just like everything else.  Their strategy seems about as sound as anchoring our aircraft carriers into dock and using them as airports.  

And western tanks have countermeasures.  Trophy and such.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Saw this on social media. Not sure if agree completely, but it’s an interesting take. It just seems like the Russian people keep getting fucked harder and harder while the oligarchs and elites keep smearing shit all over the region. Tough place to be in. Maybe it sparks a mass uprising.

Will it hurt the everyday Russian citizen more than the billionaires with trusts and Caribbean accounts? Of course. But that's kind of the point. What alternative do we have, invade/bomb them? They'll suffer and lose more that way. This is the most humane way to apply pressure. The hope is that they stand up, say enough is enough, and take the matter into their own hands. They're supposed to be a democracy, let them show it.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Ok. So the alternative is what? Military assault? I’m sure no innocents will be harmed by that.

China taking a big L on this one too. In addition to looking like a bunch of jackasses for having tacitly supported Russia in the lead up to the invasion, the world has now clearly seen that a smaller country can effectively resist a full scale invasion from a “super power”. Taiwan suddenly isn’t looking so vulnerable.

• Hook 'Em 6

35 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yep. Don’t get too close to the drowning man, he’ll frantically try and pull you under too.

Just hang back and crack a beer. Maybe have a piece of Ukrainian cheesecake

I'm gonna find me a Ukrainian bakery.

Edit: Amarillo?!

Kind House Ukraine Bakery
(806) 220-8115
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rT1s7myXgNQAtLmb6

Edited by cactusflinthead

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Russia has been exposed as a paper tiger and there will be consequences.

28 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Yeah, it is just my opinion.   But I kind of think this is a toothpaste out of the tube scenario.  If we allow things to return to the way it was, than that sends a message that 'its ok to attack, and if you fail we can just return to normal.'   

Of course there are people dying.   But I doubt that Zelensky would want to return to the prior existential threat is ever present, while Putin regroups, rearms, retrains and hires mercenaries to professionalize his military, and gets prepared to try again.  

So, I get what you are saying- but what you are ignoring is mankinds desire for quick and easy and relatively painless solutions that are expedient over principled solutions that are long and costly and suck.  

47 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

What should the U.S. do?

For now, the sensible, and confident, American answer should be to do nothing. This might seem counter-intuitive: The Russians have gone to an alert, and it would seem only prudent to answer this with a reciprocal raising of U.S. alert status. But this Cold War reaction is, I suspect, exactly what Putin wants. He’s in a jam and he’s trying to look strong, and part of the way he can do that is to turn his hare-brained scheme in Ukraine into a gigantic Russian-American confrontation. Putin would like nothing better than to take everyone’s mind off Ukraine and focus us all on a game of nuclear chicken.

I think if we do nothing then it shows Putin we consider him a fucking joke and don't take him seriously.  Serious sign of disrespect which is great when pointed towards an arrogant asshole like that.  It would also show how weak he is to his own people and the Russians are not keen on weakness.

Not sure if that's the correct play or not, but I'm ok with it for now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I do not like this at all. Not one bit.

It can't possibly go anywhere.  It's nothing more than further posturing from Russia.  If they intended peace, they wouldn't have invaded in the first place.  If they wanted to step back now, they would first need to pull back all of their troops.  True peace talks can't exist while one country's military is still actively killing the citizens of another.  It's complete bullshit.

So what's the point?  Putin knows they're getting slaughtered in the court of global public opinion, so maybe he believes that some half-assed sham "peace talks" will provide him political cover?  But the free flow of information globally is never going to allow that.  This isn't 1980.  Everyone knows what a lying sack of shit he is.  Everyont other than his own people, that is, and even a lot of them are growing to understand.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

That is certainly what RU propaganda would like spread.

10 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Will it hurt the everyday Russian citizen more than the billionaires with trusts and Caribbean accounts? Of course. But that's kind of the point. What alternative do we have, invade/bomb them? They'll suffer and lose more that way. This is the most humane way to apply pressure. The hope is that they stand up, say enough is enough, and take the matter into their own hands. They're supposed to be a democracy, let them show it.

Pressure comes from the bottom

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй