Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I’ve already said this a couple of times: when the Ukrainian farmers don’t plant this spring, shits going to get very real next fall.

I do wonder how big of an issue that will be. The Russian strategy is aimed at cities. There’s a lot of countryside that’s not involved in combat much. And farmers gotta try to earn a living. I suspect most will plant this year. Some may not, but most will.

8 minutes ago, PTINS said:

The Kyiv Independent obtained a WhatsApp audio message recorded by a woman residing in the city of Aleysk in Russia’s Altai region some 3,500 kilometers east of Kyiv, the home base for the 35th Brigade.  In the voice message, an unidentified woman weeps telling her fellow WhatsApp group member that the local “tank brigade” was “totally destroyed in Ukraine.”

"Hello girls. It's real bad here in Aleysk. Our tank brigade has been destroyed in Ukraine. Out of 150 guys, only 18 remain. Today first coffins are arriving. 45 two-hundreds (cargo 200 means dead soldiers) arriving in Aleysk. Parents are waiting. Our upstairs neighbour is killed, just a boy. Has a one year old kid. Besides that, Zhilin Zhenya (Evgeniy Zhilin). Besides that... Alexander, stop it (to the kid). Long story short - a lot of them from our factory (she works there apparently?). Three or four. Rest of them from the town Dereven (not sure if I hear the name of the town correctly), contractors (not conscripts) from villages, boys. We got the message about this yesterday. It's crazy. O, fuck, let's go to war (in a sad/ironic tone)!"

https://kyivindependent.com/national/exclusive-voice-message-reveals-russian-military-units-catastrophic-losses-in-ukraine/

this is exactly the kind of message that you need to really, REALLY read with the expectation of it being total propaganda bullshit.

1.  we know the bodies are being burned.     "coffins" wouldnt arrive.

2. how the fuck did bodies make it 3,500 Km away when Russia cant even fucking drive 150Km right now.  They dont have the gas to waste on moving dead soldiers.

3. extremely specific numbers are total bullshit at this point.

Thats the kind of bullshit you all need to start reading into and thinking cognitively.

• Hook 'Em 5

I have to laugh at the picture of the Russian posing for a picture because it is so spot on.  What we see when we go back is they usually either posing in odd locations or setting up their IG posts or just walking around with the most miserable looks on their faces (despite being on holiday).  I hope they have good memories of those holidays in Europe.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I do wonder how big of an issue that will be. The Russian strategy is aimed at cities. There’s a lot of countryside that’s not involved in combat much. And farmers gotta try to earn a living. I suspect most will plant this year. Some may not, but most will.

They'll have trouble getting inputs.  And hafta farm around dead tanks.  But farmers everywhere are incredibly resourceful.  It will br tough, but not an unmitigated disaster.

Edited by Parliament

I have to laugh at the picture of the Russian posing for a picture because it is so spot on.  What we see when we go back is they usually either posing in odd locations or setting up their IG posts or just walking around with the most miserable looks on their faces (despite being on holiday).  I hope they have good memories of those holidays in Europe.

Oh, when I get a sec, I’ll post the pic of the Russian chicks doing their duck faces in front of the Mona Lisa for 100 different pics. We couldn’t stop laughing at them.

1a7d16a17a2c3a10e164da31002c88fe.jpg
cf216689dde93df44328385750be59ed.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

where can you find this?  i looked on his youtube videos but didn't see it.  

I listened to it on his podcasts. I'm not sure if they're free any more. It's been a few years.

Edit - Never mind. Chad Fuck to the fuckin' rescue. Not such a Chad after all.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

There's a lot of subject matter where american excellence leads the way. general behavior while travelling abroad is not one of them. 

Everyone travelling is an asshole, regardless of race, color and creed (except for me). Get the fuck outta my way and stop trying to explain to the locals how much better it is at home.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

this is exactly the kind of message that you need to really, REALLY read with the expectation of it being total propaganda bullshit.

1.  we know the bodies are being burned.     "coffins" wouldnt arrive.

2. how the fuck did bodies make it 3,500 Km away when Russia cant even fucking drive 150Km right now.  They dont have the gas to waste on moving dead soldiers.

3. extremely specific numbers are total bullshit at this point.

Thats the kind of bullshit you all need to start reading into and thinking cognitively.

I agree most of this is total bullshit but a few caveats.

1. They aren’t burning all the bodies, that’s for damn sure and we have videos of military ambulances taking injured back to RU. Presumably some have died there. 

2. I put it at approx 50-50 this is UKR propaganda versus the exact type of gossip and worst case predictions that happen around a Russian military base in the absence of real information.  I can totally believe Zhenya and a neighbor really did die or don’t answer and that women are gossiping about plane loads of coffins that don’t exist. 

The latter would be very typical for Russia and in line with how people gossiped while I was there during the second Chechen war. 

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

where can you find this?  i looked on his youtube videos but didn't see it.  

edit:  i think i found it here.

If you're unfamiliar with it, the episodes about WW1 (Blueprint for Armageddon) is the best podcast ever made imo.  I relisten to it annually.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Everyone travelling is an asshole, regardless of race, color and creed (except for me). Get the fuck outta my way and stop trying to explain to the locals how much better it is at home.

I mean they got the same shit over there that they got here, but it's just -- it's just there it's a little different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Everyone travelling is an asshole, regardless of race, color and creed (except for me). Get the fuck outta my way and stop trying to explain to the locals how much better it is at home in English, 4X louder than normal, confident that doing so will finally crack the language barrier. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The amateur traveler believes that Americans are the ugliest abroad, the semi-pro thinks it’s Russians or Chinese, and the pro knows it’s the English at any destination the working class can afford a ticket to. 

Truth........ Also, here is the Surly Mafia Ukraine style. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Don day estas el crapper?  Have to poo-poo MUCHO!

"Foreigners may pretend otherwise, but if English is spoken loudly enough, anyone can understand it, the British included. Actually, there’s no such thing as a foreign language. The world is just filled with people who grunt and squeak instead of speaking sensibly. French may be an exception. But since it’s impossible to figure out what French people are saying, we’ll never know for sure."
– P. J. O’Rourke

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The amateur traveler believes that Americans are the ugliest abroad, the semi-pro thinks it’s Russians or Chinese, and the pro knows it’s the English at any destination the working class can afford a ticket to. 

This.  I'm no pro, but I was in Amsterdam during an English banking holiday once.

13 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

3-5 days is the max.   When we were in Houston as part of volunteer rescue group during Harvey, we were discussing the matter with some Sheriffs  and other LE folks.   They were retry adamant that if it the rain went on for 2 more days (this was Tuesday morning), that they were switching to societal breakdown protocols.   

Texas law enforcement types are super duper smart so anything they say should be taken as gospel truth.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

I don’t know…I used to joke with my Euro friends that if someone is going to stop in a busy doorway and open a map (back when we had maps), you could count on them being German. 

Germans can be doofs and dorks and will have on sandals with socks. An Englishman on a spree will vomit on you then punch you if any of it splashes on his shoes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

"Foreigners may pretend otherwise, but if English is spoken loudly enough, anyone can understand it, the British included. Actually, there’s no such thing as a foreign language. The world is just filled with people who grunt and squeak instead of speaking sensibly. French may be an exception. But since it’s impossible to figure out what French people are saying, we’ll never know for sure."
– P. J. O’Rourke

RIP
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Read up on Operation Downfall and the US and Japanese casualty estimates.  It would have made D-Day seem like a picnic and Okinawa a walk in the park.  

I HIGHLY recommend this book.  Read it last year.  Written by Chris Wallace, sure, but strictly historical, no political bent to it.  But tracks the political, military, and scientific leadup to the bombings.  Fantastic.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Reports this morning that Putins approval rating in Russia has gone up. Russians hate the war but they don't like the west attacking their economy. Going to be a long slog. 

not updated for March yet: https://www.levada.ru/en/ratings/

image.png.2fa3e0a37c29d797e9509b748ca511d1.png

others of interest:

image.png.56cf89c57c7c42012786e08cdb881b1a.png

image.png.c9e9e25cbd6a20aadbc762b2a97fa2c8.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

180e1924-d4aa-41dd-8889-e90f2f336415_tex

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

TLDR; dude I know ran over a bird

CSB

So a couple of weeks ago a guy I know and his friend in were exiting McCullough off 281 to go back home in Alamo Heights. If you’re not from the area, this is the exit to ICU that cuts behind the zoo and sunken gardens. 

It was around 2am and although they are professionals pushing their mid 40s they were stoned to hell. All of the sudden a turkey buzzard takes off from the side of the road and Guys reaction time was so slowed, well, he hit that bird bullseye center of his windshield- splat. The wing span practically covered the entire view and they pulled over and got out to see if they could get it off. 

They are using their phone flashlights to inspect the damage while still smoking a j. There is a very Bill and Ted flavor to their problem acquisition then, Guys friend says “hey man… that’s not a buzzard… that looks like a hawk or something.”

Sure enough, when they look at the talons it’s definitely a really large raptor. Then Guy sees a copper tag on the birds leg that reads “ ‘Henry’, Highly Endangered Species, Property of SA Zoo”.

They look at each other and finally Guy says “Shiiiit… shouldn’t we call 311 or something?” to which his friend replies “Nah, better not. I didn’t tell you but I’ve got a lot of drugs with me right now”

So, they decided not to touch Henry and drive back slowly to Guys house 5min away. He had to drive really slowly and peer through the tiny spaces around the dead bird. As he driving his view of the road also has Henrys talon with the tag in direct view. The tag blows and flips over to inform them of all of the Federal penalties they are subject to and coincidentally identifies the penalties for exactly what they were doing which boiled down to something like 10yrs in Federal Prison. 

They get home and park in the garage. Next day Guy calls the zoo to inform them what happened (sort of) and everything turned out Ok. Henry had escaped his enclosure a couple days before and was staying close to the access road feeding on carrion. The zoo had tried to get him but because there was other food available they were having trouble and had some Ace Ventura bird whisperer on the way from the West Coast to help get him. The bubbly girl on the phone’s voice cracked as she mentioned that she guessed they didn’t need his services anymore. 

Guy went out to the garage and drank a glass of Bourbon with Henry then peeled him off his car and arranged him in an Amazon box with tissue paper “real nice” (after keeping some feathers because, “shit man, where else you gonna find those?”)

When I first started working in the oilfield a co-worker and I got called out to a rig about 5 hours away from our location.  We take the other guy's truck and stop at the first beer store out of sight from out workshop and get a case of beer.  We're about half way through the case, hauling ass down a two-lane highway about 90 mph in a work truck when a buzzard comes out of know where and splatters itself across the windshied.  Windshield is cracked to hell and there's blood and guts all over the place.

We pull over and the poor buzzard falls off the hood onto the side of the road; somehow this fucker isn't dead as one wing is still barely flapping.  My buddy goes back to the truck reaches under the seat and pulls out a pistol to finish off the bastard.  By the time he walks back, the buzzard decided he wasn't done living and flew away.

Ok, pistol is put back under the seat and we're using some old shop rags to try and clean off the windshield.  We were able to get the heavy stuff off the windshield but there's still a noticeable amount of blood and guts present.  Oh well, fuck it... we got back in the truck continued on to the rig site and finished off the case of beer.

When we rolled up on location the grizzly ass company man comes out to yell at us for taking so long, but he takes one look at our stumbling asses and the mess on the windshield and says "Your broke down equipment is over there... and I don't want to know what the fuck you two got up to on the way here."

The second case of beer consumed on the way back went down a lot easier.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I HIGHLY recommend this book.  Read it last year.  Written by Chris Wallace, sure, but strictly historical, no political bent to it.  But tracks the political, military, and scientific leadup to the bombings.  Fantastic.

spacer.png

The Bomber Mafia by Gladwell is another good read alongside that same topic - it traces how our pure intention of limit conflict through precision bombing ultimately led to the firebombing campaigns of 44/45 and ultimately the Bomb being dropped. 

• Hook 'Em 1