Christmas Menus

Spur08

That’s a sexy plate. Care to share more about that rice?

Was my mom’s riff on dirty rice, but with some fall flavor.

About a pound of sage breakfast sausage, browned. Saute about half an onion, a pound of sliced mushrooms, and a cup or so of slivered almonds. Add three boxes of uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice mix with the seasonings, add an extra cup of wild rice, a coupla teaspoons of chicken bouillon, all in a wide pan. Add about 6 cups water, simmer, turning the rice over a coupla times.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, Celery Man said:

was about to put this in the wives/stupid shit thread (because this is absolutely correlated with my wife's batshit craziness) but it doesn't exactly fit. Cookies are done, just spent the evening dropping off boxes

image.thumb.png.012576a37b7eda20e7c76785edf436c4.png

Those cookies look amazing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

We decided yesterday to do a Christmas Story style Xmas dinner and hit up a Chinese restaurant. Showed up at First Chinese BBQ at 5. It took an hour to get a seat and 90 minutes to get our food.

I’m planning ahead next year and getting Wu Chow reservations early. I really liked getting out of the house for dinner since I was going stir crazy.

You see, it’s…smiling at me. 
Whack. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Stayed home this year due to having a newborn, so I was cooking for just my wife and myself, and the dog of course.

We decided to have beef bourguignon. It’s delicious, although a bit time consuming to do everything right. Not an issue today because all we were doing was watching Christmas movies anyways. It came together nicely.

1e0bce1e3934b2e7b4918020f5d424d7.jpg
d3fc6eec2b61f6e26e8e2dcb84c364a2.jpg
8d90bd2852eb35929a2ad4f2fd37b9a9.jpg
54995a687960b59a5e3f57ba84d33d9c.jpg
0fe57a7b89fbf4d12c6a224a6e6013fb.jpg
3150f3e3ae67ff34f63434b05af7ffc0.jpg
361c2dca3be16c8bfaddfe6886526cf6.jpg
d64a396b386cb8b9f6aae01ea2d7bca3.jpg

I love making beef bourguignon, and yes, you do need to set aside a huge chunk of time to make it right. That looks outstanding.

• Like 1

Ordered a Snow’s brisket for family Christmas Eve and grilled flanks marinated in pineapple/soy and chickens to go with it. Christmas we went with a Turkey breast from Snows, home made Parker house rolls, hasselback potato’s and air fryer zucchini. It all went over well.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I would have to dig through the garbage to see what they put on it...def. S&P, no idea what else.

Super easy - was very interested because I did not have to season.

~325⁰ for 40 min. & the hardest part was having to sit a fire.

Did not even flip, only rearranged 2 smaller ones from low to high / bigger one from high to low once everything was @ ½ way.

1ccb7f26f5ee5e1c410842cc1e50461c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Any chance you could spare the rice recipe? Looks great!

The cool thing is that, to confirm it, I went through my mom’s old recipes. Found this version:

910186904e0759cd7ce4fddec82beee0.jpg

It’s a little vague. Brown the sausage, then add the onion, almonds, and mushrooms all at once. When those are done (mushrooms cooked down), add the rest (rices, spices, water).
Bring to boil, then simmer around 45 mins, check to see if you need to open up the rice a little. Maybe another 5-10 mins.
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The cool thing is that, to confirm it, I went through my mom’s old recipes. Found this version:

910186904e0759cd7ce4fddec82beee0.jpg

It’s a little vague. Brown the sausage, then add the onion, almonds, and mushrooms all at once. When those are done (mushrooms cooked down), add the rest (rices, spices, water).
Bring to boil, then simmer around 45 mins, check to see if you need to open up the rice a little. Maybe another 5-10 mins.

For "seasoning," are you going with salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, cayenne, similar to a Cajun dirty rice?  That looks really good.

did prime rib and lobster tails. pulled the meat at 115F from the green egg and let it rest wrapped in foil, then the in-laws were late, so it rested for about 1.5 hours.  Still turned out great

image.thumb.png.8260d37070924305302209e7f254a3fd.png

image.png.40ee2b23767f379af9c392ef490dab8d.png

lobster tails were cut in half and grilled with some butter.  Managed to not overcook them and they turned out great.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Ok but how was your MIL’s pie?

Lmao. She didn’t bring one unfortunately. We told her to not bring anything down because it’s just the wife, myself, and her. She came with two dips, 3 types of cookies, a cheese ball, puppy chow, Chex mix, and summer sausage. We could have fed Patton’s army with the amount of shit she brought 

I went a different direction with my "Christmas Menu" this year. Visiting family out-of-state, with others coming from Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin. I'm the "designated cocktail guy", so I went more structured this year...

Was a big hit, with the "Rum Rum Rudolph" being the most favored (of course it was the first day, so not the best choice by me I guess).

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 2.15.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 2.16.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 2.16.14 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1