Tucker Carlson Tonight

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

These people are not true believers of Christianity in any way, shape or form. They don’t subscribe to any of the teachings of Jesus. None.

I knew this would come up and yes, I get it. But they think they are true believers. That’s what I mean. I know they are evil. Christianity in its purest form is up for debate on another thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Church of JESUS CHRIST Latter Day Saints. 

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well they think they are which is probably all that matter when there are some many denominations claiming to be the one true faith.

Responding to whatthebuck regarding religion?!? 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I knew this would come up and yes, I get it. But they think they are true believers. That’s what I mean. I know they are evil. Christianity in its purest form is up for debate on another thread. 

Then why did you bring it up? The whole tangent didn’t belong in this thread.

56 minutes ago, Satchel said:

These people are not true believers of Christianity in any way, shape or form. They don’t subscribe to any of the teachings of Jesus. None.

My guess is that Christians are the biggest reason for the decline.   Who wants to be associated with a crowd of frauds who wield religion like a cudgel?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Then why did you bring it up? The whole tangent didn’t belong in this thread.

Because I was responding to another poster who brought it up. 

Tucker Carlson is nothing less than a propagandist for Christian fascist patriarchy and conspiracy theory.

Lighten up Francis.

EmptyMedicalBlowfish-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

Being Christian can be messy. Even seriously committed Christians continue to battle their own flesh and its non-reigning, extant sin—which is why they still do bad things. This is normally where some deep discussion of nuanced theological terms like sanctification, justification and glorification are bandied about. I’m not sure this is the place for that discussion.

Ah the built-in excuse of being a sinner, so one just needs to ask Mr. Perfect for forgiveness and all is well.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

Tucker is as duplicitous as he is loathsome:

In one text conversation between Carlson and an unknown staffer on Jan. 4, 2021, just days before the riot at the U.S. Capitol, the prime time star wrote, “We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights.”

“I truly can’t wait,” he added.

When the unknown staffer replied that they believed the madness would cool down by mid-February, Carlson decried Trump.

“I hate him passionately,” Carlson said. “I blew up at [former Trump official] Peter Navarro today in frustration. I actually like Peter. But I can’t handle much more of this.”

Something about the scorpion and the frog, or the snake and the farmer.... you knew what his nature was and yet...

Tucker Carlson is first and foremost a fake authoritarian/populist rabble-rouser and they do their job by manipulating people’s deep-seated beliefs and values.  If he was born in Pakistan he’d be a mullah-adjacent defender of Islam on TV, if he were in India he’d be a BJP rabble-rouser, if he were in Western Europe he might even be an enfant-terrible atheist who defends “civilisation.” If he was in China he’d be a CCP mouthpiece and if he were in the USSR in the 1930s he’d be a media commissar on the lookout for wreckers and saboteurs.  He and his types simply identify the societal soft spot and scratch there till it becomes irritated. 

These assholes’ playbooks are all the same, and it’s key to note that he’s not really a believer in any of it. The particular ideology or belief system he uses is far less interesting than the way he manipulates it. 

In any event, the way to approach this is similar to how you counter-violent extremism elsewhere. Telling people that their deeply held spiritual beliefs are stupid and bad is not a way to get them to participate productively in society, rather you have to find ways and examples of how their belief system can demonstrate tolerance and co-existence and plurality and show how the rest of society can extend same to them. It’s a long and messy process and rarely as satisfying as trying to just get them to stop believing in a system you don’t like. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Co-opting the Christian prophet doesn’t make them Christians. Their beliefs are heretical to the Christian faith and Christian scripture. 

This reminds me of how government authorities in Pakistan won’t allow Ahmadis to call themselves “Muslim” in their passports even though they insist they are.

A wise person explained to me about Islam that there is no such thing as “true Islam,” there’s only what people who claim they are Muslims believe and do. And one Muslim’s apostate is the next’s purest believer.

There’s no such thing as “true Christianity” out there (or rather, if there is, it’s unknowable in this lifetime unless you take it on faith) and so it’s not really worth trying to find. It’s especially odd when someone who believes it’s all made-up also has strong beliefs about who is a heretic or not. 

“LDS beliefs and doctrine have fundamental conflicts with what most other Christian churches have historically and currently believe”’ is a fair, true, and verifiable statement. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

In any event, the way to approach this is similar to how you counter-violent extremism elsewhere. Telling people that their deeply held spiritual beliefs are stupid and bad is not a way to get them to participate productively in society, rather you have to find ways and examples of how their belief system can demonstrate tolerance and co-existence and plurality and show how the rest of society can extend same to them. It’s a long and messy process and rarely as satisfying as trying to just get them to stop believing in a system you don’t like. 

steve-buscemi-reservoir-dogs.gif

31 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Co-opting the Christian prophet doesn’t make them Christians. Their beliefs are heretical to the Christian faith and Christian scripture. 

If you believe that Jesus was the son of god, died for our sins, and was resurrected, you are a Christian.  Everything else is just details. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

steve-buscemi-reservoir-dogs.gif

yeah, i mean based on the live quotes from the real conversion i shared above... finding ways and examples of how his belief system can demonstrate tolerance and coexistence and plurality and how the rest of society can extend the same to him is...unlikely to be a successful strategy. ever. 😕

but it's a nice sentiment. 

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

yeah, i mean based on the live quotes from the real conversion i shared above... finding ways and examples of how his belief system can demonstrate tolerance and coexistence and plurality and how the rest of society can extend the same to him is...unlikely to be a successful strategy. ever. 😕

There will always be the assholes who can’t be reached and that is inherent to just about any ideology. But telling the people who CAN be reached “your choice is stop being Christian (Muslim, Hindu, etc) or to be on the side of the extremists” is a losing societal strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There will always be the assholes who can’t be reached and that is inherent to just about any ideology. But telling the people who CAN be reached “your choice is stop being Christian (Muslim, Hindu, etc) or to be on the side of the extremists” is a losing societal strategy. 

to be fair to you...i was referring more to the right wing q brain(washing) rot that is plaguing a substantial portion of our society thanks to shitheels like Tucker. not just Christians. or 'Christians'. 

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

to be fair to you...i was referring more to the right wing q brain(washing) rot that is plaguing a substantial portion of our society thanks to shitheels like Tucker. not just Christians. or 'Christians'. 

There was a great episode of Knowledge Fight with a guy who has written a book on Q-Anon and he talked about who was able to get talked out of it. And he basically said that it was people who kind of didn’t want it to be true, that all the crazy shit was happening.  They didn’t like all the stuff and hoped deep down that things weren’t as dark as all that. 

Those are the type of people you want to find and reach, right? And if you tell them, “you’ve gotta give up Jesus, too, if you want to leave Q-Anon” is not going to get you the desired effect. 

14 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Those are the type of people you want to find and reach, right? And if you tell them, “you’ve gotta give up Jesus, too, if you want to leave Q-Anon” is not going to get you the desired effect. 

How about, "quit being a dumbass and come join us in reality"?  No good?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Sounding mighty Christian, there, friendo.  And of that certain chauvinistic brand of Christianity that there is only one way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Mormons aren’t Christians. 

Mormons consider themselves Christians, but so-called evangelical Christians don't recognize them as such.  The people who think an invisible man is floating in the sky playing action figures with everyone on Earth has a problem believing a man peeked into a hat to translate some book imaginary golden plates into words.

Edited by Burt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Burt said:

Mormons consider themselves Christians, but so-called evangelical Christians don't recognize them as such.  The people who think an invisible man is floating in the sky playing action figures with everyone on Earth has a problem believing a man peeked into a hat to translate some book imaginary golden plates into words.

Evangelicals (at least some of them, I’ve had conversations with them)don’t believe that Catholics are Christians. So…

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Evangelicals (at least some of them, I’ve had conversations with them)don’t believe that Catholics are Christians. So…

The irony of it all is every Mormon I've ever personally met walks the walk.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

It's because they practice non-tolerance, that you can't approach with tolerance.  The second part is that they ignore logic.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

does that mean it has that many upvotes?  you're telling me 180 people there actually believe it's a hoax?

BTW, I'm no tech guy, and have no problem believing it's a widely-held belief amongst aggy that Jan 6 was a hoax, but what's a typical # of "likes" for the most popular posts on this message board or say SEC Rant? Does it ever approach anywhere near triple digits? Surely MAGA and 6Figs U wouldn't be deceptively inflating upvotes to posts accusing others of deception.

40 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Tucker at 2:48: There were no security cameras near the speakers office where Babbit was killed. We can’t know what happened. 

Video of Ashli Babbit getting capped:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp-video/mmvo99180613572 

I can't bring myself to watch that. I'm trying to keep my blood pressure down these days and go with the flow. There is a more than likely chance I would break a monitor if I clicked that link

Now the Ashli video on the other hand....
jerking off sex appeal GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

BTW, I'm no tech guy, and have no problem believing it's a widely-held belief amongst aggy that Jan 6 was a hoax, but what's a typical # of "likes" for the most popular posts on this message board or say SEC Rant? Does it ever approach anywhere near triple digits? Surely MAGA and 6Figs U wouldn't be deceptively inflating upvotes to posts accusing others of deception.

I don’t know that @THUJONE art posts ever get to triple digits. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/08/white-house-tucker-carlson-jan-6-coverage-00086077

"Carlson responded to McConnell and other Republicans on his program Tuesday night, contending that they “outed themselves” as siding with Democrats against him in a state of “panic” and “hysteria."  “If you want to know who’s actually aligned, despite the illusion of partisanship, we found out today,” Carlson said on his show.

There It Is GIF - There It Is Point - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

That educates 70K people per annum most of them Texans and most of them who will stay Texans…which should be what really bothers you. 

Most recent A&M grads that I know (last 10 years or so) can't stand TexAgs and the loons that post on the politics board. Whole lotta 2%ers in CS these days.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Tucker at 2:48: There were no security cameras near the speakers office where Babbit was killed. We can’t know what happened. 

Video of Ashli Babbit getting capped:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp-video/mmvo99180613572 

I recommend everyone watch both of these, even if you've seen the second one before. The gaslighting going in in regards to all of 1/6 in general but Babbit specifically is off the charts. 

Like if you heard sooner fans every day for the last five months say "We don't really know what happened during the last Texas/OU game because there weren't cameras there. I think OU actually won."

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I recommend everyone watch both of these, even if you've seen the second one before. The gaslighting going in in regards to all of 1/6 in general but Babbit specifically is off the charts. 

Like if you heard sooner fans every day for the last five months say "We don't really know what happened during the last Texas/OU game because there weren't cameras there. I think OU actually won."

Who you gonna believe? Me or your lying eyes? 

• Hook 'Em 1