2019 ATH Bru McCoy

texifornia

have you been hibernating since 2009?  “we’re texas” doesn’t mean as much as it did in the aughts.  we need all the help we can get. 

Fuck that. Groveling to 18 year olds isn’t our brand. If a kid really has something better to do than attend and represent the University of Texas I’ve got no interest in keeping him.

We’re Texas.
  • Like 3

ha. 

first - Cali recruits, lot of effort/little payoff(yes I know Ricky was one) - once they get to Texas they realize its not 75 degrees and sunny all the time.

second - transfer portal - this thing is an unmitigated disaster - should just be for Grad Transfers only, but yeah NCAA is beyond stupid

third - I'm guessing Bru McCoy will be a very good college player but he's got red flags all over him and did when he flipped to us from USC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fuck that. Groveling to 18 year olds isn’t our brand. If a kid really has something better to do than attend and represent the University of Texas I’ve got no interest in keeping him.

We’re Texas.

I stand corrected. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

how the fuck can he talk to helton if hes not in the portal?

I'm sure he can call Helton any time he wants express he wants to transfer and ask if there is a scholarship available.  then helton can say I can't talk to you.  some intermediary talks to Mccoy's parents.  there are so many ways around this it isn't even funny.  Its possible Mccoy didn't talk to Helton at all.

2 hours ago, deech said:

It amazes me that Bru or his family would risk losing a year of eligibility with this mess.  18 year olds going to be 18 year olds though and hope that we take the high road.  

They're all absolutely sure that he'll be a first round pick in the 2022 NFL draft whether he plays 2 years or 3.

3 minutes ago, mdleast said:

No...it would be a terrible look for us to block the release of a guy who was not blocked coming to us.

Yep, this isn't some player who has produced something of tangible value for us at this point....would be a terrible hill to fight on, publicly and potentially even in the Texas locker room where guys who are still gutting things out but may have doubts start to think "damn he just fucked with this guy...how's he going to treat me if I decide I would be better off elsewhere"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

ha. 

first - Cali recruits, lot of effort/little payoff(yes I know Ricky was one) - once they get to Texas they realize its not 75 degrees and sunny all the time.

second - transfer portal - this thing is an unmitigated disaster - should just be for Grad Transfers only, but yeah NCAA is beyond stupid

third - I'm guessing Bru McCoy will be a very good college player but he's got red flags all over him and did when he flipped to us from USC

You're aware that not every California recruit lives by the beach right? 

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

it my mind, everyone that lives in California lives by the beach and I am, therefore, that much more envious of their scene.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I said 75 degrees and sunny.  since you mentioned the beach, yes I am aware, the problem is they all think they do.

2 minutes ago, mdleast said:

it my mind, everyone that lives in California lives by the beach and I am, therefore, that much more envious of their scene.

Southern beach?  Nice. Northern beach pretty. Northern part of the state beautiful.  

The rest?  Part  smells/looks like Oklahoma. And desert. 

UT had success with Ricky Williams and Bryant Westbrook, but west coast recruiting carries a risk.  From a percentage point of view, best to recruit within 800 miles, a one day drive, so the guy doesn't get homesick.  Raid LA, Ark, and Bama more.  

but wow, hurts to lose a top 1-3 player in the nation.

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

UT had success with Ricky Williams and Bryant Westbrook, but west coast recruiting carries a risk.  From a percentage point of view, best to recruit within 800 miles, a one day drive, so the guy doesn't get homesick.  Raid LA, Ark, and Bama more.  

but wow, hurts to lose a top 1-3 player in the nation.

Don’t think anyone had him top 3? But I get your point. On the flip side, does it hurt to lose something you never had?

Just now, SizzleChest said:

So, I hope some of you aren't saying we should not recruit Cali because what amounts to Lavar Ball's godson has Abe Simpson'd through the revolving door..checks notes.. twice in 5 months.

Buncha Mack Browns are about to populate the recruiting forum.

• Like 1

Just now, SizzleChest said:

So, I hope some of you aren't saying we should not recruit Cali because what amounts to Lavar Ball's godson has Abe Simpson'd through the revolving door..checks notes.. twice in 5 months.

Yeah that would be stupid.

Anyway maybe he transfers back before the season starts.

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

I'm absolutely in favor of recruiting California.  you just have to be aware of the high flake factor and have solid back up plans.  if we start winning with regularity it will pay off.   Its one of the biggest failures of the Brown era.  We can't let the Texas high school coaches dictate our recruiting while Bama/OU/OSU get to recruit out of state with regularity without repercussions.

5:50 PM UPDATE: Our 247Sports network partner, USCFootball.com, released an update Monday evening stating USC has allegedly not had any contact with Bru McCoy throughout this situation. According to USCFootball.com, "McCoy has not been in contact with USC or any of the Trojans' coaching staff either. Any mention of that is false."

They're trying to cover their ass lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

5:50 PM UPDATE: Our 247Sports network partner, USCFootball.com, released an update Monday evening stating USC has allegedly not had any contact with Bru McCoy throughout this situation. According to USCFootball.com, "McCoy has not been in contact with USC or any of the Trojans' coaching staff either. Any mention of that is false."

They're trying to cover their ass lol

Right. 

35 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Bryant Westbrook was from the beach, and he was a bad motherfucker

Austin was a better city back then. Less traffic, wilder college parties, don king hooking the players up with strippers, etc..etc.

Edited by Bruh Man