Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Coke in the US and Mexico use HFCS. The majority of the rest of the world uses cane sugar. Mexico still bottles coke with real sugar for export to the US. Careful in Mexico locally as their govt, with likely lucrative bribes from the corn industry, allows HFCs to be labeled as “sugar”.

Real sugar drinks taste different than HFCS. I avoid HFCS for health reasons as well. I’d like a domestic throwback real sugar Coke as it would be priced like regular drinks instead of a big premium for Mexican.

Do you own taste comparison, blind. Have someone help you. Do it with Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Coke, Sprite. So I know some folks prefer the HFCS versions because that’s what they grew up with; I grew up with real sugar. The fake shit is sweeter .

The kosher Coke is made in the US with sugar.

The kosher Coke is made in the US with sugar.

I’ve never seen it but it’s only made seasonally for Passover in certain markets and only in 2 liter bottles. They will have yellow caps. Also it’s not labeled as sugar or cane sugar but Sucrose. Coke doesn’t want to draw any attention to this version and leaves it to Jews to be in the know.

It’s only a problem for Passover. The rest of the time HFCS Coke is kosher. For Passover the HFCS is not compliant as corn is banned as is barley, which provides an enzyme to make HFCS.

I work with a number of Orthodox from NYC so I’ve learned quite a bit when they travel down. A couple used to love Dublin DP and would ship tons back. Until recently the was only one true kosher restaurant in Dallas, Adoret.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve never seen it but it’s only made seasonally for Passover in certain markets and only in 2 liter bottles. They will have yellow caps. Also it’s not labeled as sugar or cane sugar but Sucrose. Coke doesn’t want to draw any attention to this version and leaves it to Jews to be in the know.

It’s only a problem for Passover. The rest of the time HFCS Coke is kosher. For Passover the HFCS is not compliant as corn is banned as is barley, which provides an enzyme to make HFCS.

I work with a number of Orthodox from NYC so I’ve learned quite a bit when they travel down. A couple used to love Dublin DP and would ship tons back. Until recently the was only one true kosher restaurant in Dallas, Adoret.

That is Aderet: https://aderetrestaurant.com/  

Really good place.  I'm a goyim, but have some observant clients that have taken me there for lunch meetings.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

On 9/14/2023 at 8:52 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Trust me. Just HEB ground Chuck, water and milk. Better than many, many restaurant enchiladas. 

IMG_1360.thumb.png.e4d66488a097e44b949ec135496365bf.png

Have to vouch for ol' bill here, this shit made a shockingly good gravy. Had it with chips & guac on the side, solid combo. Will definitely keep a box around. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife pulled out a new toy for our 2 year old this morning and I can’t help but laugh at this shit. This was only a small part of it (the beef Franks had legit wrapping/label too) but the indoctrination is strong with HEB and I’m here for it. We just so happen to have several of these items in our fridge/pantry 

IMG_3417.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 10/21/2023 at 11:36 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

My wife pulled out a new toy for our 2 year old this morning and I can’t help but laugh at this shit. This was only a small part of it (the beef Franks had legit wrapping/label too) but the indoctrination is strong with HEB and I’m here for it. We just so happen to have several of these items in our fridge/pantry 

IMG_3417.jpeg

We have the hand basket and the push basket for our girls.  Our oldest (3), threw an absolute shit fit one day because we wouldn't let her bring her red toy HEB pushcart into the store.   

They make great gifts for little kids when you don't know what the hell to get them.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Meh.  I started trying HEB's various novelty flavors last year, and they all tasted like a very salty variety of the relatively same chip.

I basically just stick to their chicharrones these days.

I tried the HEB brand and found them, and pork rinds in general to be pretty meh. But these I found to be pretty good and it's pretty much what I exclusively eat now in the "chip" world:

image.jpeg.33d70a8a694afb52d678e475f8700973.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 8:51 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I tried the HEB brand and found them, and pork rinds in general to be pretty meh. But these I found to be pretty good and it's pretty much what I exclusively eat now in the "chip" world:

image.jpeg.33d70a8a694afb52d678e475f8700973.jpeg

Those are good, and they pair well with guacamole. These however are the best ones I’ve found to eat by themselves.

image.thumb.jpeg.8bf5d00f535d5af425744c3b05a88d7b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Covri said:

Those are good, and they pair well with guacamole. These however are the best ones I’ve found to eat by themselves.

image.thumb.jpeg.8bf5d00f535d5af425744c3b05a88d7b.jpeg

You need to switch to cracklins. In comparison, regular rinds taste like packing peanuts. 

Edited by TonyTexas

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You need to switch to cracklins. In comparison, regular rinds taste like packing peanuts. 

I’m actually not a fan of cracklins, I almost added that the 4505 brand is probably the lightest pork rind out there with almost no hard pieces at all in the bag. I know some like the cracklins mixed in with the puffier pieces though. 

These are good if you’re into the ones that could chip a tooth lol.

image.thumb.jpeg.e106933547834a7b91b1dd34ffc06218.jpeg

13 hours ago, Covri said:

I’m actually not a fan of cracklins, I almost added that the 4505 brand is probably the lightest pork rind out there with almost no hard pieces at all in the bag. I know some like the cracklins mixed in with the puffier pieces though. 

These are good if you’re into the ones that could chip a tooth lol.

image.thumb.jpeg.e106933547834a7b91b1dd34ffc06218.jpeg

Wash pot style? Is there a lingering galvanized tin flavor?

13 hours ago, Covri said:

I'll have to give those a try.  I like to put jalapeno pimento cheese or guacamole on pork rinds like tortilla chips.  The plain HEB bags are only about 30% good for that.

6 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Not sure if this has been highlighted before, but damn good bread (comes frozen). 

spacer.png

I dig those and always have a package in the freezer. 8 minutes in the toaster oven while I'm busy cooking other shit, and you have some pretty crunchy tasty bread.