Texas Intercity Rivalries

MaybeACoordinator

Houston hates Dallas (has forever) and Austin (more and more as Austin has grown). Is in league with Fort Worth, kinda like we are with Oklahoma State. Has respek for San Antonio.

Austin looks down on everybody, especially Dallas and Houston. Secretly unhappy Austinites want to leave, but only to somewhere like Portland or Colorado.

Dallas wants to be Austin and gets butthurt when Austin doesn't want to be BFFs. Gaslights Houston -- "What rivalry? I never even think about Houston." Condescends to Fort Worth. San Antonio might as well be El Paso unless there's a Spurs game.

San Antonio hates Austin, gives respek knuckles to Houston unless the Spurs are involved. Not sure what they think of Dallas and FW.  

FITE

• Like 2

When I first moved to Austin, well-meaning people would take me aside and tell me how much it sucked since it had grown.

Then I spent some time in Waco. Waco is Austin if it had not grown.

My appreciation for San Antonio has grown to the point where my favorite Texas city is now Laredo.

• Like 1

Gotta tell you, I was born and raised (reared for you old school Grammar Nazis) in Austin and the intercity rivalry thing never even occurred to me until I moved to the Houston area and was beaten over the head with the Dallas thing. I guess I got a taste of it on message boards once those became a thing, but I had no negative opinion about any other Texas city growing up.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The fact that Sherman just stands over there at the corner of the bar looking all smug hasn't escaped my attention.

Someone should step out from the main donnybrook and deck Sherman's sorry ass.  And his friend Abilene, too.

Port Arthur slipped in while no one was paying attention and stole the register...and stabbed Sherman in the kidney on the way out. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Then you have east Texas where everyone is more or less cool with each other as long as you can say “903!” (similar to SEC chants now that I think about it), and everyone kinda just wishes they were closer to Dallas. I grew up never thinking I’d want to move to Houston, that it sucked, etc. Living here now, though, i love it. 

49 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Houston hates Dallas (has forever) and Austin (more and more as Austin has grown). Is in league with Fort Worth, kinda like we are with Oklahoma State. Has respek for San Antonio.

Austin looks down on everybody, especially Dallas and Houston. Secretly unhappy Austinites want to leave, but only to somewhere like Portland or Colorado.

Dallas wants to be Austin and gets butthurt when Austin doesn't want to be BFFs. Gaslights Houston -- "What rivalry? I never even think about Houston." Condescends to Fort Worth. San Antonio might as well be El Paso unless there's a Spurs game.

San Antonio hates Austin, gives respek knuckles to Houston unless the Spurs are involved. Not sure what they think of Dallas and FW.  

FITE

Dallas is Lower Oklahoma. 

FIFY. 

• Like 2

This thread and all the rivalry talk is and always has been stupid. Each city has good parts and bad parts. Each city has its warts. Each city has annoying people that are ridiculous stereotypes taken as embodying the city's personality. Each city has an overabundance of invading outsiders like too many Sooners in Dallas, too many aggy and Cajuns in Houston, and Californians in Austin. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Then you have east Texas where everyone is more or less cool with each other as long as you can say “903!” (similar to SEC chants now that I think about it), and everyone kinda just wishes they were closer to Dallas. I grew up never thinking I’d want to move to Houston, that it sucked, etc. Living here now, though, i love it. 

Except you have Tyler, who got knocked in the head and now thinks it is Dallas.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Gotta tell you, I was born and raised (reared for you old school Grammar Nazis) in Austin and the intercity rivalry thing never even occurred to me until I moved to the Houston area and was beaten over the head with the Dallas thing. I guess I got a taste of it on message boards once those became a thing, but I had no negative opinion about any other Texas city growing up.

Same here, except I saw it for the first time when I moved from Dallas to Austin.  I never would have thought about rooting against anything Houston until I got to UT.  Granted, this was before message boards became a thing.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

When I first moved to Austin, well-meaning people would take me aside and tell me how much it sucked since it had grown.

Then I spent some time in Waco. Waco is Austin if it had not grown.

My appreciation for San Antonio has grown to the point where my favorite Texas city is now Laredo.

Waco is Austin if it had not grown and instead of UT there was some church affiliated school, and the capital was some other city.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Waco is Austin if it had not grown and instead of UT there was some church affiliated school, and the capital was some other city.

We get the Austin if it had not grown thing all the time from those that moved here from Austin. Usually it just means the racism is still ok here. As a city we are hated by everyone, but we really don't care enough to hate anyone else. We're too busy smelling whatever it was that we just picked out of our ass and talking about how bad the traffic is going to be for the next 5 years of 35 construction through town. 

16 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We get the Austin if it had not grown thing all the time from those that moved here from Austin. Usually it just means the racism is still ok here. As a city we are hated by everyone, but we really don't care enough to hate anyone else. We're too busy smelling whatever it was that we just picked out of our ass and talking about how bad the traffic is going to be for the next 5 years of 35 construction through town. 

Oh is racism not ok in Austin now? Someone should let the minorities know, assuming they can find them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’ve lived in all major cities of Texas except San Antonio, and there are great things about all of them including SA. I could live anywhere, and never understood the rivalry thing. I live in a neighborhood in Dallas that I would try and stay in, always, for the foreseeable future. Nobody I know ever concerns themselves with Austin, Houston or FW, except to bitch about Austin traffic. Rivalries seem to be manufactured by losers in those cities or on message board threads. 

This. No one really cares.

20 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

35 years spent in Dallas and I never once heard this. Dallas is more like the anti-Austin, if anything.

Dallas desperately wants to be L.A., in the sense that it wants to be very glamorous and superficial.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

35 years spent in Dallas and I never once heard this. Dallas is more like the anti-Austin, if anything.

Exactly.  Not to go all cloak-roomy, but a lot of people in DFW claim/joke that Austin isn't even in Texas.

I've lived double-digit years in both Austin and Houston and I can tell you this:

People in Austin don't even think about Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio.  Rivalry?  Why?  You like those places better?  Cool - stay there.

People in Houston do hate Dallas.  But people from Dallas have looked down on Houston for decades, so I get it.  A lot of people in/from Dallas have the absurd notion that Dallas is one of the greatest cities in this country and everyone else is jealous that they don't get to live there.

The Houston/Dallas rivalry is a little silly, because they're basically the same place.  Dallas has everything Houston has, the good and the bad, and vice versa.  But my god, Dallas, get over yourself.

And if you're tempted to say I'm biased, touche', but I know a bunch of people from other states and they don't get the Dallas superiority complex, either.

Edited by TexArcher