2020-21 Winter weather; bring it on

Parliament

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

FIFY. I would find a hotel with power now. Once it starts to get dark & colder, hotel rooms will be going fast. I assume many people are holding out for hope that the power comes back but there is no indication that is the case.

Yeah, for those in the "power out since 2 AM and it never rolled" camp, I feel for you, and I also think you should be looking for hotels/friends/tents under 183 overpasses that have power, for tonight.

• Haha 1

I live NW Austin. Power has been out since 2am. Never rolled. 

We have a gas fire so we’re okay. But sleeping by the fire tonight so we don’t die is so Austin level of city management.

This is our plan. We’re staying here with both fireplaces going, and all faucets running, hoping to keep the interior above freezing and avoid damage. We’ll sleep in front of one of the fireplaces.

But this is nuts. I’m fucking cold. We have the upstairs at 48 degrees....during the warmest period of the day.
  • Rage+1 2

Am I not seeing power outage issues in DFW because it’s mostly austinites in here?  If the state is mandating things, it would seem like the DFW and Houston people would be on here sharing as well. 

You’d think that, wouldn’t you? I know there are some folks without power in the Houston area. But it seems that the bulk of the outages, and they’re gonna be 24 hr or longer....are in Austin. We’re taking the punch for the state, I guess.

We are going to be fucked if the power goes back off tonight. No firewood to be seen at any store around our area. Actually no nothing at the stores around north Dallas. The line at whataburger looked to be at least 30 minutes long, the amount of people buying wood that I’m assuming shouldn’t be put in their fireplaces was astounding. You’d think there was a deadly virus going around and the walking dead was starting tomorrow....oh wait....

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Am I not seeing power outage issues in DFW because it’s mostly austinites in here?  If the state is mandating things, it would seem like the DFW and Houston people would be on here sharing as well. 

Mansfield here. I’ve been without power since 3am. They started with rolling blackouts that lasted 15 minutes each around 11pm last night but no power at all for 12 hours now. I’m bundled up. Inside temp hanging on barely in the 50s

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m in DFW and havent had power since 2am. 

I got fam and friends in both DFW and Houston without power. Grandpa didn't have power for 4-5 hours this morning at his retirement home, such a shit show.

There are some, including me, a few pages back. We got power back around noon after it being off since 2am. (North Dallas)

Houston has over 1m without power, according to the TV news, so it's not a picnic here for many.  City officials are also blaming ERCOT's lack of generation.

I just finished reading "the Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder to my daughter. They survived like 7 months of blizzards with no firewood. They managed by making "hay sticks" to burn. You grab a bunch of hay/dead grass and tightly braid them together so that they'll burn longer. 

You're welcome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I haven't lost power (yet) in Dallas but know plenty who have.  I haven't seen anything definitive here indicating that if you don't have power now you won't have it back on until tomorrow like in Austin.   I know several that had it go off last night but had it come back on early afternoon.

I just finished reading "the Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder to my daughter. They survived like 7 months of blizzards with no firewood. They managed by making "hay sticks" to burn. You grab a bunch of hay/dead grass and tightly braid them together so that they'll burn longer. 
You're welcome.

We had a good stock of wood. The boy and I cut up a bunch more yesterday. I’m hoping it lasts through tomorrow. We’re burning it, and losing ground on temps. Now 47 upstairs.

If it makes anyone feel better, I hunt every year in South Dakota where it always drops down to minus temperature and we sleep in a bunk house with no insulation where the temperature drops down into the thirties and below. If you’ve got a decent sleeping bag, it’s tolerable. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

We had a good stock of wood. The boy and I cut up a bunch more yesterday. I’m hoping it lasts through tomorrow. We’re burning it, and losing ground on temps. Now 47 upstairs.

I'm sure you have a bunch of downed tree limbs around your neighborhood.  Those will burn, though not nearly as well as seasoned wood.

47 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Everybody in my part of Trophy Club doesn’t have power. I think the older part does have power. We are staying at the Holiday Inn by HG tonight. As of right now they are good. 

Westlake power is full power last report. You should call Vaquero and complain.

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Rowlett checking in.  Power out since 9am.  Got down to 55 in here. Using the fireplace for the first time.  This particular room isn't too bad.

So millions without power and that hasn’t reduced the strain on the grids? I admit while reading about all this I understand very little. Some of my neighbors are without power. Some without water. We have power just no water. People are pulling their kids on sleds with their cars now. 

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can holler more about it in Denton. I am sitting in the truck in the driveway because the power has been out since this morning or last night. I woke up around 6 to the dark of a blackout. We got power back for an hour and then off and then five minutes and now nothing since. Denton Power says through the autobot phone call that it is restored. Yeah, press 2 for No It Isn't.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You're welcome.

I made a reference to this exact same book about an hour or so ago.  Added that we might need to slaughter a hog out back for food.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You’d think that, wouldn’t you? I know there are some folks without power in the Houston area. But it seems that the bulk of the outages, and they’re gonna be 24 hr or longer....are in Austin. We’re taking the punch for the state, I guess.

Like half of Houston is without power. This shit sucks all over the state.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So millions without power and that hasn’t reduced the strain on the grids? I admit while reading about all this I understand very little. Some of my neighbors are without power. Some without water. We have power just no water. People are pulling their kids on sleds with their cars now. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I made a reference to this exact same book about an hour or so ago.  Added that we might need to slaughter a hog out back for food.

So what, so you just have this random hog out back?  What were you gonna do with it before the winter storm?  

Is there a way to see what "circuit" you're on with Austin Energy?  I'm hoping we are on one of these critical circuits but I ain't holding my breath.  Thanks

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I have loved that book since I was little.
Also, the malnutrition the town suffered that winter affected the residents their whole lives. Really take things for granted and it makes me appreciate having food. 

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yeah, press 2 for No It Isn't.

It's like when I call Centurylink for the 5th time in a month because my DSL is down and they ask me to power down my modem. Jeez, I never thought of doing that before I spent 10 minutes climbing through your phone tree to speak with Peggy in Manila reading her script. Unfortunately we aren't doing a damned thing to proceed until we power down. Peggy wins again even though the problem is a faulty power supply in their local switch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, fuggled said:

Here's the latest from Oncor.  I think people know most of this, but it's the first time I've seen anyone try to explain what's going on.

https://thewire.oncor.com/pages/article.html#oncor__emergency_operations_feb_15_afternoon_update

I fucking hate when douchebags, say "Again....".  I know what you are saying dumbass, the problem is you are the dumbass not me.

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I was just thinking about if the ground is frozen enough to where there’s a rapid melt, there could be flooding issues if the water can’t saturate

I don't think we are going to be freezing for long enough for that.  that would take a pretty good while wouldn't it?  

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

FIFY. I would find a hotel with power now. Once it starts to get dark & colder, hotel rooms will be going fast. I assume many people are holding out for hope that the power comes back but there is no indication that is the case.

This this this. 

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

If there's one small positive bit I can take from this shit sandwich is that my wife & I know without a doubt that putting our 13 yo Shepherd down 2 weeks ago was the right time for her. She struggled enough with the cold & snowfall we had in early January. This would have been miserable for her.

I had to put down my 19 year old cat 2 weeks ago as well.  Miss the old gal, but I'm glad I can make more decisions on this without worrying about her.  Cats are less tolerant of cold (like old people!) so it would have added tons of stress.

She checked out on Sunday, Jan. 31, a brilliantly sunny day about 70°.  Thank God I didn't have to put her down in this mess, never mind it would have been impossible for a vet to get here.  God, don't even want to think about that.

Anyway, I'm sure you miss your gal just like I do mine.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Can anyone near Waco(between Dallas and Austin) let me know how 35 is? I know the chances of someone being on it is slim but maybe someone might have an idea how cleared it is. Thank you!

red oak to wax: orange

wax to ross: green

ross to lorena: orange

lorena to troy: green

troy to 53 in temple: orange

53 in temple to prairie dell: green

orange or red all the way south from prairie dell to selma

I don't think we are going to be freezing for long enough for that.  that would take a pretty good while wouldn't it?  
Yeah for all the crap that's gonna come out of this...you ounghtn't hafta worry. That said...

Some of the breaks in your water lines may not reveal themselves until they thaw out a bit. And some lines/connections might just be weakened. They're fine now, but'll give out in a week, month, year, etc.

Nah, it's not gonna flood here.  Snow is 1/10 of rain, and even with the ice underneath it, it'll saturate pretty easily.

At least the ground is going to be nice and damp for the growing season, which almost incredibly, really starts within a week or so.

Wonder how my Bluebonnets are gonna do, right now buried under 7" of snow and ice?