Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I always think the same thing.  It’s like every 2nd amendment person forgets half the amendment.  

No surprise there. Many of the same self-identify as Christians who utterly disregard the gist of Christ’s message.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It keeps happening. Strange. 

but man, isn’t it fun to go to a friends farm and shoots cans with an AR-15? Man that’s fucking fun as shit. I hope they never take that away. 

I still love the Chris rock joke. “Everyone should have guns but a bullet should cost fo hunnerd dollas.  All the sudden there’s no innocent bystanders”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The mass shooting regularity has at least pushed the gun nuts into the shadows on boards like this. They're still here but even they know their arguments rang hollow. They just want to own guns and they're accepting of some mass shootings.

Yeah, these threads used to quickly turn into dick-measuring about who owns what antiques and how they can be modified today. And saying thank God the shooter didn't know how to [something about the gun or his tactical strategy] or else way more people would have died. And of course "mental illness!"

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

From a news article I just read: https://apnews.com/article/fedex-indianapolis-mass-shooting-e92ad3117c56357b3b2c71a2903e68a8

In the wake of the shootings, Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said the community must guard against resignation and “the assumption that this is how it must be and we might as well get used to it.”

Why is that Joe? What exactly has happened in the last 10-20 years after every one of these fucking insane events that would lead concerned citizens to believe anything will be different? What's that phrase.... "fool me 345 times, shame on me, fool me 346 times...." 

Edited by Blotto

31 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Whew.  Glad she cleared this up for everyone.

not to get technical, but this isn't even true, correct?

i mean, shooting people is illegal and always has been.  discharging a weapon itself and injuring nobody is also illegal, depending on where you are.  but there isn't some special legislation like "hate crime" that designates "mass shooting" as a separate 'somehow worse' version of just shooting/killing people, is there?

i'm honesly asking, i have no idea.

I hate that this keeps happening.

If for the sake of argument we assume only incremental improvements can occur on the gun side, what can be done on the mental health side? 

Is the answer mental health screenings at the time of purchase? Or is it an annual/regular thing for life, for gun owners and their families?

Without universal registration, which even if enacted, would take 2-3 generations, the only way I can think of to accomplish this quickly is to immediately require regular, mental health screenings for everyone. Is there something I'm missing?

Fund it with federal tax dollars and compensate you for time away from work. You get a green/yellow/red light to own a gun, operate a car(?) or heavy machinery, fly a plane, have kids(?!), etc. There would of course be an appeals system.

Would you support something like this? Am i way off base? Does the solution have to come from the gun side?

Edited by B00M
Promise I'm not (intentionally) being an asshole

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I hate that this keeps happening.

If for the sake of argument we assume only incremental improvements can occur on the gun side, what can be done on the mental health side? 

Is the answer mental health screenings at the time of purchase? Or is it an annual/regular thing for life, for gun owners and their families?

Without universal registration, which even if enacted, would take 2-3 generations, the only way I can think of to accomplish this quickly is to immediately require regular, mental health screenings for everyone. Is there something I'm missing?

Fund it with federal tax dollars and compensate you for time away from work. You get a green/yellow/red light to own a gun, operate a car(?) or heavy machinery, fly a plane, have kids(?!), etc. There would of course be an appeals system.

Would you support something like this? Am i way off base? Does the solution have to come from the gun side?

I think all of this should be done.  We CLEARLY have a problem in America, as compared to everywhere else in the world.  This is uniquely American.  Not only from the "we have way too many fucking guns" point, but also the mental side.  Why do people get to this point where they feel going and murdering their fellow citizens is warranted?  Shouldn't we be looking at what we are doing in our society that is causing people to do this?  Perhaps we aren't the best country on earth?  Perhaps we are setting up people with expectations of a life that doesn't really exist or isn't really achievable?  I don't know, but these are questions that we should be asking.  And we don't.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

8 more families needlessly destroyed. Children and grandchildren will be affected for years and years. 

God knows how many employees that will have trauma from this. Which will negatively affect their personal lives as well. Plenty of them and their families will be fucked up for years, with some of them not even understanding trauma and how it affects every other part of their lives and the people they interact with. 

We are systematically destroying society and Republicans won't lift a finger. 

What are you talking about? They are definitely doing something about it -- by allowing MOAR gun access. For instance, the Texas lege is advancing a bill for no-permit carry. Because I'm very sure the data shows that will lead to more good outcomes rather than bad ones. See? We're in good hands.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, B00M said:

i don't have the exact stats in front of me, but i would assume some, not all of gun violence incidents involve mental illness.

all of gun violence incidents involve guns.

why wouldn't the solution come from the gun side?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think all of this should be done.  We CLEARLY have a problem in America, as compared to everywhere else in the world.  This is uniquely American.  Not only from the "we have way too many fucking guns" point, but also the mental side.  Why do people get to this point where they feel going and murdering their fellow citizens is warranted?  Shouldn't we be looking at what we are doing in our society that is causing people to do this?  Perhaps we aren't the best country on earth?  Perhaps we are setting up people with expectations of a life that doesn't really exist or isn't really achievable?  I don't know, but these are questions that we should be asking.  And we don't.  

Seems like maybe some sort of “red flag” laws to keep guns out of the hands of clearly deranged and dangerous people would be a good idea.

But, nope, those are stridently opposed by the gun crowd because “slippery slope.” Literally any idea you can think of to handle gun violence is opposed by the gun crowd because “slippery slope, it all leads to total gun confiscation.” There is not one single idea you can propose, no matter how common sense, that they won’t kill in the womb based on that logical fallacy.

Indeed, look at what our legislatures are doing - they are going the OPPOSITE direction. They are ensuring that guns are easier to obtain than ever, and that everyone can openly carry whatever they want, wherever they want, with no training, CHL, etc.

Not only are we not taking any common sense measures re mental health or guns, we’re running in the opposite direction.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seems like maybe some sort of “red flag” laws to keep guns out of the hands of clearly deranged and dangerous people would be a good idea.

But, nope, those are stridently opposed by the gun crowd because “slippery slope.” Literally any idea you can think of to handle gun violence is opposed by the gun crowd because “slippery slope, it all leads to total gun confiscation.” There is not one single idea you can propose, no matter how common sense, that they won’t kill in the womb based on that logical fallacy.

Indeed, look at what our legislatures are doing - they are going the OPPOSITE direction. They are ensuring that guns are easier to obtain than ever, and that everyone can openly carry whatever they want, wherever they want, with no training, CHL, etc.

Not only are we not taking any common sense measures re mental health or guns, we’re running in the opposite direction.

i would vote for some sort of purge legislation over what we have now.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Literally any idea you can think of to handle gun violence is opposed by the gun crowd because “slippery slope, it all leads to total gun confiscation.”

I'm pretty much at the point that I actually want that to happen out of spite.  Fuck these people. 

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Just the way the founding fathers anticipated. Hands are tied. Thoughts and prayers (x60). 

Yep. There’s not a thing we can do to curb unchecked violence in this country. We’ve tried everything.

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Oh, wow. I’m shocked. 

While that’s unfortunate, if innocent Americans have to suffer the inconvenience of being shot to death at work so that guns remain dangerously abundant to everybody, so be it.

We should just stay locked down for this epidemic we refuse to solve. One month?

I wonder what number is going to be higher by the end of the year, weddings or mass shootings? I have 3 weddings in the family already scheduled this year and we are crazy enough to have a mass shooting at one of them, at least.

26 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

What she expected was to wear them like the fake shrapnel they are so she can wear a fake Purple Heart and claim that SHE is the REAL victim here.

Death Cult and they embrace it.

she will fundraise off the outrage.  they do it every time.

i'm not saying they like mass shootings, but it is good for business.

Mass shootings are a plague of the mind. The seed was planted a while back largely thanks to our Tower shooter and it lays dormant until the conditions are right in a wrong mind. It doesn't help that we keep sewing and reaping either. I think we need to collectively treat mass shootings like suicides that similarly spread through a culture: as lurid as they are, manage reporting so that shooters aren't rewarded with infamy. Not easy but clearly many changes are needed to our status quo.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was watching one of the cops and criminal shows recently on TV and despaired as I witnessed a 15 year old runt of a kid run down a crowded New Orleans street spraying bystanders with bullets from a gun that was bigger than he was. 

We don’t have to live like this. We choose to live like this.

4 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Mass shootings are a plague of the mind. The seed was planted a while back largely thanks to our Tower shooter and it lays dormant until the conditions are right in a wrong mind. It doesn't help that we keep sewing and reaping either. I think we need to collectively treat mass shootings like suicides that similarly spread through a culture: as lurid as they are, manage reporting so that shooters aren't rewarded with infamy. Not easy but clearly many changes are needed to our status quo.

We pretty much do this already. The shooters don’t live in infamy, but the locations do. 

Aurora, Columbine, Las Vegas, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, El Paso, Orlando night club, Luby’s, Sunderland Springs, Parkland

Now can you name any of the shooters from those mass shootings? I can’t. 

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Aurora, Columbine, Las Vegas, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, El Paso, Orlando night club, Sunderland Springs, Parkland

Give me a minute and I could probably come up with the names of the Columbine shooters. Kliebold maybe was one? Was it Dylan? I know Dylan Roof was the kid who shot up that black church in Charleston, SC. Was one of the Columbine shooters named Eric?

I’ve never been good at remembering names. It’s tough to remember all the names of the unarmed black black men, women, and children that have been killed by the police in recent memory. (I still can’t believe the pigs who gunned down 12-year-old Tamir Rice for playing with a toy gun in a park in Cleveland suffered no consequences.) Or all the Russian oligarchs and intelligence officers colluding with the Trump campaign, inauguration, and administration (not to mention the NRA and others in the Republican Party).

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

We pretty much do this already. The shooters don’t live in infamy, but the locations do. 

Aurora, Columbine, Las Vegas, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, El Paso, Orlando night club, Luby’s, Sunderland Springs, Parkland

I’d already forgotten about Boulder and it was last month. No idea what the shooter even looked like. They’re not doing it for fame. They’re doing it because they’re sick and they can. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Every one of those people had families and friends that are now forever scarred. 

I told my coworker today, “how fucked up is it that we have to go through the rest of our lives knowing there is a decent chance we are going to eventually be someone or know someone personally that is going to be injured or killed in a mass shooting?”  I know the chances are actually pretty small, but living in a large city, it seems like only a matter of time at this point. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B00M said:

Nothing will be done on the mental health side.  If madness were cured, the GOP would lose way too many voters.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread