Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

So where you were hanging out can be used against you if you're assaulted, robbed, mugged, killed, etc.?  Would it matter what the woman in this scenario was wearing as well?  

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So where you were hanging out can be used against you if you're assaulted, robbed, mugged, killed, etc.?  Would it matter what the woman in this scenario was wearing as well?  

I just think if you have somewhere else to be, hanging out in front of the ARCH before hitting Dirty Sixth is a bad idea. Well, unless you're trying to buy or sell drugs.

I’m downtown all the time. It’s exactly like it has been for years. A bunch of people just found out.
Welcome to Austin, Crash.
You're a lying POS. Where in Downtown do you go? Surely away from the ARCH area and old 6th which is an infested shithole.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 7/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

15th and San Antonio. Three people sleeping. Fire pit. High backed chair.

EAbUGBcWsAAphFe?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Lot is for sale too. When the buyer asks if the homeless will be cleared out by the police???  Can they do anything?  

This camp is growing. Upgraded to yellow recliner and a big sign with “Control + Z” on it. 

You're a lying POS. Where in Downtown do you go? Surely away from the ARCH area and old 6th which is an infested shithole.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m a member of St David’s and volunteer occasionally for a downtown homeless related org, and my kid works on Dirty 6th. So, I’m right there all the time.

The way it is there now is how it has been for about a year.

Scary thing is how much bigger and more invasive this has gotten in the 1 month since announcing the ordinance. 1 month and it’s been a huge change all over town. 
Just wait until it starts cooling down up north. Brace yourself, Austin. Winter is coming.

So those thoughts I had:

96g7x3.jpg

ml4293.jpg

- the amount of homeless within shelter programs as well as unsheltered is relatively the same over the past 10 years which i believe holds true for this year. I believe it's not truly an increased population but more of a increased visibility

- the amount of VISIBLE UNSHELTERED homelessness is increased by a few factors: displacement from the IH35 bridge reconstruction projects all up and down the corridor, continual development of historical hidden camp spots like green spaces, older defunct lot or buildings, etc

- the narrative that we're becoming a hellscape of homelessness is overblown by magnitudes. Even Seattle's or LA situations(the bogeymen of this thread) are not the worst by 2x

- the visibility issues will only increase when the ARCH undergoes its change to case managed only with no mats or services to walkins, so getting the new shelter rolling quick is attempting to address that impending issue (whether you agree ther placement or not, that's a nimby issue that CFV had as well that got us moved from our potential locations multiple times)

- programs live haven for hope in San antonii which congregate services outside of town but doesn't offset housing beyond an ARCHesque temp shelter courtyard, may redufe the appearances of homelessness (take the riverwalk for example) especially downtown but their rate is largely the same as Austin

- even the Ben white "worst problem area" is at most 50 people. Way overblown in how its being portrayed.

- a personal track (other than my work at CFV) ive been pursuing/advocating is diffusing housing/services throughout the metro area by utilizing the federal RLUIPA loophole in zoning and working with faith communitues to put their land resources where their creed say to (im especially working this from within the catholic diocese)

- any of you heartless assholes who advocate for dehumanizing and degrading other people because of their housing situation, are welcome to come with me on a MLF truck run and i doubt you would be able to sustain that attitude.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You don’t think that those “only 50 people
At Ben white” won’t turn into hundreds when they put the shelter there?

As someone that lives .5 miles from there, I say, fuck a bunch of that. NIMBY me all you want, but the area around Sunrise is already turned to shit, and will be complete shit when the shelter is opened.

2 minutes ago, dirtonia said:

As someone that lives .5 miles from there, I say, fuck a bunch of that. NIMBY me all you want, but the area around Sunrise is already turned to shit, and will be complete shit when the shelter is opened.

So you want them to move the homeless to a nice area and then turn it to shit? I say send them all to your shitty neighborhood. 

16 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Lot is for sale too. When the buyer asks if the homeless will be cleared out by the police???  Can they do anything?  

This camp is growing. Upgraded to yellow recliner and a big sign with “Control + Z” on it. 

{Narrator} There was no buyer {Narrator}

42 minutes ago, dirtonia said:

No, I don't think so.

Come ask what the residents of Woodland Hills have experienced when 200 chronically homeless moved in next door (along with the busloads that come to visit or receive services or start the application process). Hint there wasn't anything but cheers about the 300 more homes that will be going in and sharing a literal fence line with their homes. 

Living that close to Sunrise, I'm curious how many people who are experiencing homelessness have you actually take the time to meet and treat as another human being. I hope it's a bunch, but in my experience when you so easily encapsulate "those homeless people" into a mass faceless other that is all on their own "turning the place to shit" it's unlikely that there has been interact much person to person.

I'm not saying there aren't issue that come with people who are struggling this way, I know MUCH better than you those problems and deal with them every single day and not just in passing, I'm asking people to pay me money haha. I've been threatened, I've been assaulted, I've dealt with every single drug that exists in my 5 years of working with those experiencing homeless. I've watched people kill themselves with substances over time and spent their last moments I know it's no sunshine and buttercups. The thing is through it all, I have experienced when you treat people AS PEOPLE and not a scum, as worthless, as non existent then you'll find that they aren't as different and other and shitty as you paint them to be. In fact some of them are better than I am (not saying a whole lot, but its something because I'm not sure you would kick up a fuss if I moved in next door with my whitebread millenial ass)

• Like 2

I gave a dude dumpster diving at my complex a couple of sausage wraps after having a conversation with him about the recent rash of break ins around the area. He said that's usually the junkies (big surprise) pulling that shit, and there are a lot of them in and out of the extended stay hotels in the neighborhood. 

• Like 2

No, I don't think so.
Come ask what the residents of Woodland Hills have experienced when 200 chronically homeless moved in next door (along with the busloads that come to visit or receive services or start the application process). Hint there wasn't anything but cheers about the 300 more homes that will be going in and sharing a literal fence line with their homes. 
Living that close to Sunrise, I'm curious how many people who are experiencing homelessness have you actually take the time to meet and treat as another human being. I hope it's a bunch, but in my experience when you so easily encapsulate "those homeless people" into a mass faceless other that is all on their own "turning the place to shit" it's unlikely that there has been interact much person to person.
I'm not saying there aren't issue that come with people who are struggling this way, I know MUCH better than you those problems and deal with them every single day and not just in passing, I'm asking people to pay me money haha. I've been threatened, I've been assaulted, I've dealt with every single drug that exists in my 5 years of working with those experiencing homeless. I've watched people kill themselves with substances over time and spent their last moments I know it's no sunshine and buttercups. The thing is through it all, I have experienced when you treat people AS PEOPLE and not a scum, as worthless, as non existent then you'll find that they aren't as different and other and shitty as you paint them to be. In fact some of them are better than I am (not saying a whole lot, but its something because I'm not sure you would kick up a fuss if I moved in next door with my whitebread millenial ass)

Gross, of course I don’t fuck with the homeless.

6 minutes ago, dirtonia said:

Gross, of course I don’t fuck with the homeless.

What about those rapist immigrants? violent negroes? terrorist towelheads?

Don't half ass it if you're going dehumanize and paint with the broad brush, commit!

58 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

What about those rapist immigrants? violent negroes? terrorist towelheads?

Don't half ass it if you're going dehumanize and paint with the broad brush, commit!

when those rapist immigrants, violent negroes, and terrorist towelheads start camping and passing out on the streets and in doorways to businesses, shitting and pissing everywhere, harassing people for handouts, committing petty crimes and sometimes not so petty crimes, and making an area unappealing, i'll hate on them too.

we're glad you get to know these fucksticks.  knowing their names and their addictions doesn't make them less vile or unwanted.  i'm sure for every 20-30 homeless, there are a few truly down on their luck.  but we don't have the patience to sort out the good from the shit when most of what we see and interact with are the shit.

i'm sure there are a many good aggy, but taken as a whole, they are a bunch of fucking idiots.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

when those rapist immigrants, violent negroes, and terrorist towelheads start camping and passing out on the streets and in doorways to businesses, shitting and pissing everywhere, harassing people for handouts, committing petty crimes and sometimes not so petty crimes, and making an area unappealing, i'll hate on them too.

we're glad you get to know these fucksticks.  knowing their names and their addictions doesn't make them less vile or unwanted.  i'm sure for every 20-30 homeless, there are a few truly down on their luck.  but we don't have the patience to sort out the good from the shit when most of what we see and interact with are the shit.

i'm sure there are a many good aggy, but taken as a whole, they are a bunch of fucking idiots.

You're obviously saying that as someone who has never done it, at least with enough goodwill for it to be successful. Growing up i was told things like for every 20-30 black people I'm sure there are a few that are acceptable, but don't bother with those naggers. Just because it's not racism, doesn't make the wrongness at the heart of it any different

Also as I said earlier in this thread the assertion that a person who is homeless is any more likely to commit a crime is just patently false.Mostly "crimes" that are more likely to be committed when not housed were the ones charged under the since repealed ordinances. Suburban teenagers of all races commit petty theft at higher rates, High Income Earners commit violent crimes at a much higher rate, Surly posters are just as likely to be drunk/high in public... (joking on that last one, Surly posters are much more likely to be pissing drunk in an alley). Some basic source material if you want to research it a little https://www.jstor.org/stable/3096817?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents 

The human waste problem could be solved by just providing public facilities. Once again you and I have never been denied entry or had the police called on us because we needed to nip in to drop a log real quick.

Also I'm here as a homeless advocate to let you know that anyone coming at you aggressively for panhandling or not, aren't to be treat any better post ordinance repeal. In fact the new language makes those people MORE likely to be arrested.

I was there over the weekend.  I lived there in the mid 90's and I don't recognize Austin anymore.  Between the homeless cities and the scooters I was floored.  I come to Austin often but way up north, I don't normally go into downtown.  It was depressing.

Imagine how it feels for those of us who lived there during the 70’s. It’s like the Drag worms have multiplied and spread across the city. Austin is so different now.

stop equating this situation to race.  they are not alike.

no one goes to bed addiction free, sleeping in a home to wake up the next morning addicted on drugs and homeless.  there's a whole bunch of bad decisions over a span of time that lead to homelessness.  i'm all for helping people who want to help themselves. however i'm against giving free reign and a shitton of money to deal with and appease assholes who are leeches to society.  and i'm against spending millions for people who for the most part made plenty of bad decisions to get where they are and most likely do not want to change their lot in life.

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

no one goes to bed addiction free, sleeping in a home to wake up the next morning addicted on drugs and homeless.  there's a whole bunch of bad decisions over a span of time that lead to homelessness.  i'm all for helping people who want to help themselves. however i'm against giving free reign and a shitton of money to deal with and appease assholes who are leeches to society.  and i'm against spending millions for people who for the most part made plenty of bad decisions to get where they are and most likely do not want to change their lot in life.

Except it is 100% possible to go to sleep white and wake up black. 

soul-man.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=646&

28 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

To quote myself

37 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

Just because it's not racism, doesn't make the wrongness at the heart of it any different

Racism is taking stereotypes and myths applying them to all the people of a race as a pretext to discriminate, dehumanize, and deprive of just treatment. Sexism is the same for women, discrimination by religious creed is the same, and you're doing the same based on someone's housing/economic situation (I'm sorry so I'm speaking your degrading language those "LEACHES TO SOCIETY"). Those are people, individuals with different reasons that they are where they are and of which you have no idea. The same argument you made has been levied against the poor for centuries. Come up with something original.

Once again it's FINE to have a disagreement with placement of the shelter, allocation of resources, city council members opinions, even how we should handle the situation as a whole in regards to homelessness. JUST STOP IT WITH DEHUMANIZING BULLSHIT. I have had a friend literally have battery acid thrown in their face by assholes who think like that for nothing more than not having a place to sleep. 

Edited by RCRanger03
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I gave a dude dumpster diving at my complex a couple of sausage wraps after having a conversation with him about the recent rash of break ins around the area. He said that's usually the junkies (big surprise) pulling that shit, and there are a lot of them in and out of the extended stay hotels in the neighborhood. 

Most fitting avatar ever. 

What this thread tells me is that its a good time to be a proprietor of a bar in the domain area. The worse it gets downtown, the more people that live just north of campus and  up will just start deciding to head 10 minutes in the other direction. The bars on Rock Rose aren't particularly special, but in my experience I've never been panhandled at the Domain, and I sure as shit havent seen a homeless encampment. As long as the booze is flowing, I can see a fair number of Austinites spending more time North. 

This displays a complete lack of understanding of addiction. I would argue the economics of it as well.

Of course addiction is just one small part and I’m curious what portion of the folks camping in the open like that fall into that bucket.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:24 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

If they are on private property, the police can absolutely do something. If they are on a public easement, well, not so much anymore.

21 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

Also as I said earlier in this thread the assertion that a person who is homeless is any more likely to commit a crime is just patently false.Mostly "crimes" that are more likely to be committed when not housed were the ones charged under the since repealed ordinances. Suburban teenagers of all races commit petty theft at higher rates, High Income Earners commit violent crimes at a much higher rate, Surly posters are just as likely to be drunk/high in public... (joking on that last one, Surly posters are much more likely to be pissing drunk in an alley). Some basic source material if you want to research it a little https://www.jstor.org/stable/3096817?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents 

The human waste problem could be solved by just providing public facilities. Once again you and I have never been denied entry or had the police called on us because we needed to nip in to drop a log real quick.

Also I'm here as a homeless advocate to let you know that anyone coming at you aggressively for panhandling or not, aren't to be treat any better post ordinance repeal. In fact the new language makes those people MORE likely to be arrested.

The link you provided doesn't support your assertions at all. Did you even read it?  Using data from the 80s in Austin, the homeless were no more likely to commit rape and murder than the general male population.  However, for burglary, general theft, robbery, and car theft, homeless persons were much more likely to commit these offenses (see Table 3).  Do you have other references?  

• Haha 1